spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-07-30 09:25:12: As CNET explores, Netflix has been doing rather well financially -- which resulted in Hollywood very quickly begging them for more money. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
reply to Thatgeekinit

Re: Netflix is a different model

It all depends on what you want to get out of your TV viewing. While it clearly doesn't apply to you (based on your described services), the sports broadcasting market is a massive entity that is unable to be adequately served by Internet distribution. The numbers simply don't work for the quantity of simultaneous realtime viewers and the bitrate required for HD video delivery.

Thatgeekinit

join:2002-05-01
Washington, DC
reply to milnoc

Re: Interesting...

I can understand why the studios want that window as it will encourage people who frequently buy new DVD's at $20 new release prices not to "wait for it on Netflix"

They just want to protect their dying business model which is based on charging people many times for the same content in different formats.

First they charge you $10/ticket in the theatre. Then $10 to PPV in a hotel. Then $5 to PPV on cable/dish. Then they charge you $20 to buy it on DVD. Then they will want to charge you $30 to buy it on Blue-Ray or $1-2 for a netflix- rental after your DVD gets scratched or you want to just see if Blue-Ray is worth it.
--
Yes, actually I am a network engineer. Why don't you have a cup of coffee and make sure my HBO is working and I'll worry about getting my cable modem and my router connected.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to FFH5

Re: Steaming service stinks

said by FFH5:

said by SixSpeed:

Netflix streaming is horrible. The titles are old and after having the service for a few weeks, there is noting to watch.

The bandwidth costs didn't go up because their streaming content is garbage.
And much of what they offer is available On-Demand for free from the cable companies.
you get cable for free?

You know you can watch all your network shows for FREE and in HD without having to pay for cable. It's called an antenna.

Diablitoo

@comcast.net
reply to xenophon
When i saw u post dragon tattoo (men who hate women) Swedish title , i had to comment . That movie was off the chart it was mind boggling; If i did not have a netflix account i wouldnt have found it since they try to find your likes and recommend movies according to your preferences. I think the service is pretty good and will get better as long as Hollywood plays along. Also, advancement in technology to provide more bandwidth they will be able to some day provide Blue-ray quality movies without connection problems. I see hollywood like old people, set on their ways, never wanting to change. Hopefully little by little they will see that this is profitable business and what people really want. I cant remember the last time i bought a DVD or CD. So if they want to change consumer behavior tough luck cause i'm never going back, i love netflix streaming service.

Jovi
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Mount Joy, PA

1 recommendation

reply to SixSpeed
said by SixSpeed:

Netflix streaming is horrible. The titles are old and after having the service for a few weeks, there is noting to watch.

Streaming quality is superb on my end and always find something to watch.
--
"Some people have no respect for logic."

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
reply to Thatgeekinit

Just got a Roku box, and Netflix streaming for me has been terrific... 4 bars and no interruptions. Flawless operation as someone else said.

Of course, I'm the type that can wait for movies I want to see, and have more than I can watch with all the British TV comedy and mystery series available for streaming. [MI-5, Inspector Morse, etc.].

If that $10 mo. was a problem, I could drop a cable digital tier that I have now [to see one channel out of 30 junk ones]. Plus free on-demand on my cable service is worthless as well.

w0g
o.O

join:2001-08-30
Springfield, OR

1 edit
reply to SixSpeed

It works pretty well and the movie selection is pretty good. It doesn't have all the newest 'blockbusters' but if that's all you watch then you're not watching much... my only complaint is the compression is too great and bitrate far too low for my taste. I'd like to see them kick out a 5-8Mbps+ stream with high quality audio at least that rivals iTunes 128kbps per channel, but preferrably lossless or original Dolby Digital (same bitrates or better). Audio hardly uses any bandwidth anymore and the muffled detail-less audio is a drab to hear.
--
www.aimless.us - irc.aimless.us channel #fix

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to espaeth

sports also looses another thing with internet delivery. absolute control of the blackout restriction. with TV the only method one could use is a big old C-Band dish(and odds are the sports people would sue people for that claiming its illegal).
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Z80A

Re: Mark Cuban is a dummy

Entertainment goons dislike new systems because they are far too customer friendly. look how long it took music to even start to latch onto internet delivery and even then at 99c a track they still wanted more and more money.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

sports also looses another thing with internet delivery.
They actually work that out in the ESPN Live engine that drives mlb.tv / NHL GameCenter Live by usiing geoIP database information. Even for online access you get blocked out based on where you are at the time. For example, when I traveled to Nashville I was able to watch a Minnesota Wild game that would normally be blocked out when accessing the site from home, but I couldn't watch a Nashville Predators game taking place the same night.

The problem is that even though the NeuLion codec brought some reasonable improvements to quality that make it quite watchable on an 11" netbook screen, it looks absolutely horrific if hooked up to a 55" HDTV.

Morac
Cat god

Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to milnoc

The reason Netflix gave for agreeing to this was that it allowed them 30 days time to stock up on new releases so that there would be less wait time to receive new releases.

Considering I'm seeing months of "long waits" for new releases that were 30 day delayed, Netflix's plans failed. That or they were just blowing smoke in their press releases.
--

The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

Morac
Cat god

Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cableties

Re: It's true...

Studios are bypassing Netflix and implementing Hulu Plus. It streams as well as Netflix, but includes ads. Making it worse for consumers, but better for studios.

That and they already own Hulu.
--

The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

I am very critical of all services that I own

but I love Netflix and use it often

Well worth the money as long as they keep updating their lists

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to SixSpeed

Re: St(r)eaming service stinks

I guess the service must be a bit overheated if it's "steaming" ,
but as far as I, and my 5 years old concern, the streaming selection is not bad at all, especially since it doesn't cost anything extra.

Would it be better if they had more titles available? Of course! But that doesn't mean it's bad.
--
And the winner is:

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

2 edits
reply to SixSpeed

said by SixSpeed:

This guy is right. Netflix streaming is garbage. There are numerous issues with it.

-Not detecting connection speed properly half the time and giving you a low quality stream. This means you have to go through a process of "play video, did Netflix detect it for HD? God damn it, of course they didn't! Back out, start video again. "Presented in HD" well duh, you retards! Why not just give me an option to skip your stupid connection test every time?"

-Low quality. I was unimpressed with the quality; it's obviously not on par with Blu-ray so for any title on Blu-ray Netflix streaming is worthless. It's not even as good as iTunes Store purchased 720p releases, so it's worthless for anything on iTunes... even HDTV channel captures are usually better quality.

Further issues with Netflix's quality: half their content that should be in HD is only in standard definition. I regularly scroll through the catalog of Instant Watch titles and see loads of material I know was shot in HD and no HD icon next to it.

xenophon

join:2007-09-17

1 recommendation

I have a 60" panel streaming Netflix via PS3. Even SD content is passable. For about $12/month and BR disc checkout once a week, I have no complaints. Better than paying $3-$6 each on pay per view.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12

1 recommendation

said by xenophon:

I have a 60" panel streaming Netflix via PS3. Even SD content is passable. For about $12/month and BR disc checkout once a week, I have no complaints. Better than paying $3-$6 each on pay per view.
I would have to agree. Their selection definitely needs improvement, but I find at least 1-2 interesting things to watch. And the SD quality on my 42" Plasma isn't bad at all.

New York, NY
All I have to say is, y'all need some glasses, because that blurry ass shit doesn't qualify as "passable" to me at all.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
said by 45612019:

All I have to say is, y'all need some glasses, because that blurry ass shit doesn't qualify as "passable" to me at all.
Perhaps your internet connection is causing your steaming issues? If your connection quality is terrible, Netflix will scale quality back substantially.

New York, NY
said by Matt3:

said by 45612019:

Perhaps your internet connection is causing your steaming issues? If your connection quality is terrible, Netflix will scale quality back substantially.
My connection could handle Blu-ray streaming. I am talking about Netflix's HD streaming. It's HD but it's still rather poor quality.

nonsense

@qwest.net
reply to SixSpeed
Sorry, Netflix streaming is great. I use a Samsung Blu Ray with integrated streaming (includes Pandora and YouTube) connected via Wi-Fi plus over the air digital and a little very cool HD DVR to time shift my wife's soap operas and record PBS and the ocassional domestic show. Netflix has great "instant play" titles, especially foreign films and domestic TV shows. Quality is getting better every year. Netflix and Google fight evil everyday. Lets hear it for the monopoly busters. Freedom!!!

odreian615

join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL
reply to Diablitoo
Yes Dragon Tatto was awesome but when I told my cousin about it he said it was on redbox around the same time

Eek2121

join:2002-10-12
Newton, NJ
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to SixSpeed
You are clearly a troll, stuff like 2012, (»www.netflix.com/WiMovie/2012/70108779) etc. are available. There are over 100 movies on netflix streaming that were released within the past 3 years.

thundar

join:2001-01-03
Mesa, AZ

1 edit

Cheap for what you get!

I have been paying for DIRECTV since 2003 and yes they keep adding more HD the same out the door price has gone up from $54/m to over $85 and add in the extra charges for "leasing" or as they say access fee for boxes that I bought on eBay and now charge for multiroom... I have just about had it with all the nickel and dimeing. So for $8.99 I gave Netflix at try and I have been very happy with what they offer for such a cheap price. Yes everyone says they don't have the newest movies and such, but as everyone here knows you can find that stuff pretty easy from the net. I think this should be a wakeup call to all the greedy TV and execs that want to charge people to watch shows that are free OTA but want $ a day later. As others say Netflix is a good model at a good price I hope they keep proving the man wrong. Side note I pretty much only do streaming so don't know much about waits for DVDs (you can get Blurays for $2 more a month) but I will say that the HD video stream looks acceptable but having sound in HD with only 2 channels and not 5.1 is not acceptable. They up the video bitrate and 5.1 sound for people that have the Bandwidth and then you have a real winner.

taokeema

@astound.net
reply to bionicRod

Re: It's true...

I agree. I've been using the streaming service since it became available, and my queue of films and TV programs I want to watch just keeps growing. I keep a list of over 1000 recommended titles I want to watch on IMDB, and Netflix adds titles from that list every week.

If you're not wedded to mainstream new releases, you will find plenty to watch on Netflix. I am a very happy customer.

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
reply to Eek2121

said by Eek2121:

You are clearly a troll, stuff like 2012, (»www.netflix.com/WiMovie/2012/70108779) etc. are available. There are over 100 movies on netflix streaming that were released within the past 3 years.
How many movies are on netflix streaming that did over $50 million in the box office and were released to DVD in the last six months?

Streaming on Tivo is good quality (sometimes has issues properly detecting bandwidth), PS3 is also good. Sony Bluray player stutters and is poor quality. All systems are on Cat 6 structured wiring on a managed GB switch to Comcast 20 mb service.

The bottom line still depends on what kind of titles you're looking for in the streaming catalog. If you like more obscure or older movies than Netflix has you covered in spades. If you're looking for titles that did reasonably well in the theaters and was released to DVD in the last 6-8 months then the selection if relatively bare.

NyNexit

join:2009-11-01
Huntington, NY
reply to SixSpeed
THAAAAANK YOU.... although its a good start. and Kudos to Netflix for shaking things up
--The interface on the ps3 stinks.
-ooo season 3 of farscape! :::thumbs down:::

GLX

join:2000-01-18
Hoboken, NJ
reply to 45612019
Really? You've got a constant 40Mbps down?

New York, NY
Yes. Welcome to the year 2010. Even in the primitive United States, 40+ Mbps are not that uncommon. It's unheard of to have slower than 40 Mbps in Sweden, South Korea, Japan, etc...

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by 45612019:

It's unheard of to have slower than 40 Mbps in Sweden, South Korea, Japan, etc...
Not true. Speedtest results show that

Japan avg download speed is 16.89 mbps and upload avg is 8.33 mbps. »www.netindex.com/download/2,78/Japan/

South Korea avg download is 31.23 mbps and upload avg is 18.64 mbps »www.netindex.com/download/2,89/South-Korea/

Sweden avg download is 18.09 mbps and upload avg is 7.01 mbps »www.netindex.com/download/2,6/Sweden/

So I guess it is heard of to have speeds lower than 40 mbps.
--
Are you happy with your rep in Washington, DC?