dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-08-02 09:13:55: Last week AT&T posted their second quarter earnings, and while wireless connectivity was hot -- the company noted they lost a whopping 347,000 traditional DSL customers on the quarter. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

rahlquist
Redeye
join:2001-10-30
Villa Rica, GA

2 recommendations

rahlquist

Yeah cause old customers, they never leave...

Ahh yes reminds me of this commercial;

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 7TNDW-0Q

Well as a AT&T customer who is paying enough to rent half a good size apartment in many areas for my Telco/DSL/Cell service I say to heck with you. If you want to stop churn you need to address how you're treating the old customers.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk

Premium Member

Re: Yeah cause old customers, they never leave...

Perfect! LOL
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

I went to the link Mr. Bode was so kind as to provide, this is a 12 month teaser rate. Every large ISP does it.

From the site -
$14.95/$19.95 Intro Pricing Promotion: Customers purchasing new AT&T High Speed Internet Basic, Express or Pro will pay $14.95 per month for 12 months after application of bill credit. Customers purchasing AT&T High Speed Internet Elite will pay $19.95 per month for 12 months after application of bill credit. First 2 credits will appear on same bill within the first 3 bill cycles. After 12 months existing standard rates apply. Promotional rates will expire if customer upgrades or downgrades their speed tier during promo period. Qualifying Local access line required. Other conditions and restrictions apply. Offer expires 12/31/10.

Free Modem/Gateway Offer: Online orders only. Available to new customers purchasing AT&T High Speed Internet Pro or Elite and a modem or wireless gateway. Rebate is $75 for modem or $100 for gateway. Customer must sign up for Account Manager. Online Redemption terms: Redemption details provided to customer within 4 weeks of activation of qualifying service. Card sent to customers 4 to 6 weeks after redemption. Redemption requires customer to retain qualifying service a minimum of 30 days and at time processing of reward is completed. The AT&T Reward Visa® Prepaid Card is not redeemable for cash and may not be used at automated gasoline pumps or for cash withdrawal at any cash dispensing locations. Card may not be used to purchase AT&T products and/or services in certain states. Card expires 90 days after issuance. See cardholder agreement and card carrier for other terms and conditions. [For more details go to »rewardcenter.att.com/myr ··· ent.pdf]. Visa prepaid cards are issued by MetaBank™ pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. Offer expires 11/06/10.
Who wants to switch providers every 6 months or year? Fill out modem rebate forms, wait for the rebate? The AT&T forums are filled with people who can't get the rated speed from their DSL. Charging more for 3 mb service which is no faster than the 1.5 mb service, which is really an 800 kb service seems unfair to me. For AT&T it's business as usual.

No thanks, and you are correct, this is one big lol.

Z80A
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23

1 edit

Z80A to rahlquist

Premium Member

to rahlquist
Interesting commercial coming from a bank majority owned by Uncle Sam.

It's easy to kiss customer ass when you aren't bothered by silly things like having to be profitable...until those customers are crushed by the effects of National debt anyway.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

said by Z80A:

It's easy to kiss customer ass when you aren't bothered by silly things like having to be profitable...until those customers are crushed by the effects of National debt anyway.
Quite the opposite actually. In a competitive market if you don't please your customers to the point of servility, you won't manage a profit.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to Z80A

to Z80A
Like muni fiber projects?

Z80A
Premium Member

Z80A

Premium Member

Sure, if we were allowed to actually VOTE on TARP instead of it being RAMMED down our throats by Congress.
viperlmw
Premium Member
join:2005-01-25

2 edits

viperlmw

Premium Member

Talk to W.

Besides, the USA is a Constitutional Republic, as such the Citizens don't vote on hardly anything but their representatives. That's the JOB of Congress (got that out of a fancy high school civics class!

Z80A
Premium Member

1 edit

Z80A

Premium Member

He is gone as he should be...

...now on to Pelosi and her Politburo in November.

Constitutional Republic works if they actually REPRESENT the will of the constituents. We are in an unprecedented era of politicians completely ignoring the will of the people.

The Maker
@quickwaycarriers.com

The Maker

Anon

Its not an unprecedented era. Our founders left England for the same reasons.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned) to Z80A

to Z80A
said by Z80A:

Gee can we keep this thread ON TOPIC instead of some political rant hat has NOTHING to do with the TOPIC on hand?
bdon78
I didn't do it
join:2009-05-18
Decatur, GA

bdon78

$19.95 for 6?

I'm about to move out of my apartment to a home, which means I'll lose my 24 tier Uverse.

They don't have Uverse in that area which leaves me having to get my TV from Comcast (who I despise, and there are too many trees for DirecTV), but I won't be complaining about paying $19.95 for 6 until they get Uverse in my area. In fact that's great considering they won't require me to have a landline...

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

Re: $19.95 for 6?

you could do rabbit ears for broadcast and netflix/roku for cable shows.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

said by ArrayList:

you could do rabbit ears for broadcast and netflix/roku for cable shows.
and give up live sports and comcast sports net Chicago?

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

there are ways of getting live sports over the web also.
bdon78
I didn't do it
join:2009-05-18
Decatur, GA

1 edit

bdon78 to ArrayList

to ArrayList
You're right... I could and even considered it, but my live in girlfriend wants DVR access to her bravo, vh1 and other shows that the ladies watch.

My rabbit ears/Netflix (which I have) suggestion did not go so well. I keep crossing my fingers that by the time October rolls around I'll have another option outside of Comcast. (that or I need to cut down some trees)

Z80A
Premium Member

Z80A

Premium Member

Price is king

Always has been and always will be.
sonicmerlin
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

Re: Price is king

said by Z80A:

Then why are they losing customers? Hundreds of thousands of them in fact.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

said by sonicmerlin:

said by Z80A:

Then why are they losing customers? Hundreds of thousands of them in fact.
Over the the last year, I've seen to it that AT&T lost a dozen customers in Los Angeles.

It was never a matter of price.

Every customer was willing to pay substantially more.

All they wanted was for their circuit to actually perform even remotely as advertised. For instance, 384kbps. Also, this concept called "dial tone".

No amount of effort, escalation or threats would budge AT&T, to get off the dime and do ANYTHING to improve DSL performance beyond a typical 80-100kbps. Getting landlines repaired took weeks and repeated calls for service and bucket truck visits - getting and keeping a good pair is a roll of the dice.

It wasn't like they wanted to up-sell to U-Verse. They don't offer it.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx to Z80A

to Z80A
To an extent. Qwest has a relatively similar promotion, albeit $10 more expensive, and I don't see many Comcasters switching in my area.

Z80A
Premium Member

Z80A

Premium Member

There are other price factors like triple play, cost of POTS, etc. $25 isn't a deal if you have to have a $20 POTS line on top of it or have to pay a higher price for video or other service from other vendor as a result of breaking up services.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

So basically you posted a comment ("price is king") that maybe didn't even apply to the actual situation. Way to soundbyte.

Z80A
Premium Member

Z80A

Premium Member

If your example. it would have been TOTAL price customer pays for related services impacted by a change in 1 service.

If the tires on a Ferrari are cheap, doesn't necessary entice value oriented people to buy a Ferrari because related expenses are higher.

Way to ignore the big picture.
dforan
join:2000-12-09
Willoughby, OH

dforan

Why oh why

Is this pricing only for new customers.

What about the friggin people who are paying the old original rates. We are chopped liver..

I got a solicitation for U-verse. They CLAIM it is available to me but upon investigation.. Watch a nice AT&T tech throw her hands up in disgust, it is not available...

REMEMBER FOLKS OLD clients deserve something too other than a HIGH BILL
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes

Premium Member

Re: Why oh why

I don't see us getting a piece of this, we're not even on there radar I am afraid.
o2cool8
join:2002-04-19
Cary, NC

o2cool8 to dforan

to dforan
called and complain and they should give you a better price. When they had all speeds at 24.95, I called and complained/threaten to switch to comcast (which is 12m here) and they gave me $24.95 for six months. I haven't tried with the new pricing, but I will soon.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to dforan

to dforan
threaten to leave and then cancel if they don't give you a price break. vote with your wallet.

Airwolf7
Premium Member
join:2004-12-12
Franklin, KY

1 edit

Airwolf7

Premium Member

Elite is 6.0Mbps/768kbps.

EDIT: AT&T's High Speed Internet Elite package has a downstream speed of 6.0Mbps and an upstream speed of 768kbps.

The article states that AT&T's High Speed Internet Elite package has a downstream speed of 6.0Mbps and an upstream speed of 512kbps.

powerspec88
Premium Member
join:2007-03-11
Lees Summit, MO

powerspec88

Premium Member

Re: Elite is 6.0Mbps/768kbps.

Just about to post that.

It is 6/768 Karl.
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

mob (banned) to Airwolf7

to Airwolf7
said by Airwolf7:

A whopping 6Mbps download? NO WAY. SERIOUSLY? GET OUT OF HERE! Who will use that kind of speed at home?

Gaff
Just like the gypsy woman said
join:1999-09-05
North TX, US

Gaff

It's actually 5.1Mbit down under best conditions after the ATM overhead is accounted for.
sonicmerlin
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to Airwolf7

to Airwolf7
Funny how even their Elite tier doesn't meet the FCC's new definition of broadband (4/1).
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

and never will. about 97% of the entire T footprint won't meet the FCC definition. But that is just that. A Definition and nothing more than that. Or a suggestion. And the Telcos and MSOs know this.

Airwolf7
Premium Member
join:2004-12-12
Franklin, KY

Airwolf7

Premium Member

said by Airwolf7:

EDIT: AT&T's High Speed Internet Elite package has a downstream speed of 6.0Mbps and an upstream speed of 768kbps.

The article states that AT&T's High Speed Internet Elite package has a downstream speed of 6.0Mbps and an upstream speed of 512kbps.
I edited my reply.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer to Airwolf7

Premium Member

to Airwolf7
Around here, it's still 6/512.

fatmanskinny
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Wandering

fatmanskinny

Premium Member

DSL is the new dial up.

I think Verizon is getting the picture. Poor old AT&T still has its head in the sand.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

I'd buy...

With all AT&T's overhead, they must be losing money on this one. But hey, as a second connection in addition to something more speedy, 3/512 (or, rather, 2.5/450) at $15 isn't bad AT ALL...and the price is low enough that I'd have no problem having it sit there as a backup connection. Oh, and it's faster than my parents' current 1.5/384 DSL (they'd have 7.1/768 if it was available).

Will this tier gain customers? Yep. Will it gain customers from cable companies that have folks tucked neatly into triple play deals? Probably not. Also, as said before I'm sure that a $15 per month DSL plan is costing AT&T money...unless it ends up being $20-$25 after taxes and fees, in which case they're breaking even.

•••••••••••••••
dtherbert
join:2009-04-24
Evanston, IL

dtherbert

The Elite Tier (6MBPS) Down

I know it's not anywhere near what cable providers can offer as far as downstream speeds, but I've found it's great... at least for now.

I have no problems watching Netflix streaming content in HD (4 bars all the time, maybe a drop to 3 bars once every few weeks for an hour or so). And for gaming it can't be beat, since the latency is so so SO much better than when I had Comcast. Comcast is the worst ever, at anything. Though I have moved since I last tried them, maybe they'd be good here. Can't get Uverse yet at my apartment. I'm in Chicago.

Flibbetigibb
@lmco.com

Flibbetigibb

Anon

Bite me, Death Star.

Time to switch back to cable for an intro deal, I think. No way am I going to continue paying $47 a month when they're offering the same thing for $20.

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium Member
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI

hdman

Premium Member

Complain all you want....but....

Complain all you want, but, always remember there are people out here who can't have DSL or cable at all. My friggin neighbors up the road have DSL, but AT&T can't get me a signal. If they could, I would pay $50 per month for it or MORE.

So, always put it in perspective that there are many who have no access to wired broadband who would cut off their own nutz just to get it....

Hey, I'm old, I don't need mine anymore anyway!

HDMan

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

347k lost customers....

Sure a few went to uverse but alot went to cable for faster speeds. Face it AT&T, DSL is the next dial up. you are going to lose more and more customers (well atleast in the DSL market). Time to throw it in high gear by either deploying uverse in more places or recycle the copper and go for fiber.

inb4 they wont, they love their copper and will continue to use it for ages. All that copper has been paid off for awhile now. Even if everyone walks away from dsl, they still got a good role in the wireless market.

also read my sig.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

Re: 347k lost customers....

said by Duramax08:

Sure a few went to uverse but alot went to cable for faster speeds. Face it AT&T, DSL is the next dial up. you are going to lose more and more customers (well atleast in the DSL market). Time to throw it in high gear by either deploying uverse in more places or recycle the copper and go for fiber.

inb4 they wont, they love their copper and will continue to use it for ages. All that copper has been paid off for awhile now. Even if everyone walks away from dsl, they still got a good role in the wireless market.

also read my sig.
Not to mention that there are many prospect ATT-Uverse customers who would want to get the Internet package but without TV. ATT won't let you have standalone internet unless you pay a high cost for installation ($149) or add TV package and then you only pay activation ($30).

That was the reason why I switched to Comcast.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr

Premium Member

Re: 347k lost customers....

said by chgo_man99:

said by Duramax08:

also read my sig.
Not to mention that there are many prospect ATT-Uverse customers who would want to get the Internet package but without TV. ATT won't let you have standalone internet unless you pay a high cost for installation ($149) or add TV package and then you only pay activation ($30).

That was the reason why I switched to Comcast.
Im one of those people. andim sitting on my 6 meg dsl,very lame when i would pay for the full tier. No big deal though after 6 years of consistent DSL service at the same address that 149.99 installation is going to guarantee their return. Well its going to guarantee i sit on dsl.
milkman82
join:2006-06-19
Cleveland, OH

milkman82

I just jumped on the deal!

You can't beat the price. I just got dry dsl 6/768 for $20/mo for one year. The speed is not top, but for that price I'll get a dual wan router and connect my DSL and cable. Or cancel the cable internet and eventually make the jump over to Uverse once they have a special on the RG or install fee. The service will be turned on by the 4th.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry

Premium Member

AT&T - Cherry Pickers

I hope they continue to leech customers up the wazoo. Still stuck without even dsl in this day and age. Unbelievable. I'm pretty darn close to town.
ja2007123
join:2007-10-06

ja2007123

Possible switch to Cable.

I have been paying $24 for the ex Bellsouth DSL lite plan (768kbps/128kbps) for over 3 years now. Back then I could do many things with this speed, but nowadays as more websites require faster connection, I have to upgrade for a smoother experience.

Id say $45 for 12mbps+ isnt that bad, considering I pay half price for less than 1mbps. DSL reliabilty is no more, I get more than 10 disconnects per day. AT&T techs said my line was OK and I shouldn't be experiencing this. We even have a Homerun from the NID to the room where the modem is located.
wahoospa
join:2006-03-23
Charleston, SC

wahoospa

Slow Speeds

If AT&T don't speed up their internet they are going to be loosing customers like their land line is.
XJakeX
join:2005-03-05
Coventry, RI

XJakeX

not bad pricing!

$20.00 for 6MB is a good deal, but AT&T needs to tinker with their tecnology rather than their pricing. With dry loop and bonded lines, they can offer even better deals. Pulling out the copper lines is a big mistake.

Reno7
Premium Member
join:2008-10-26
Keller, TX

Reno7

Premium Member

I'm happy

I've had ATT Elite DSL for about 10 years now.

Speed wise, my house almost never uses a fraction of the bandwidth. It's not necessary, even if 3 people are watching Youtube videos at the same time (something like that). Downloading a 1 hour HD TV show only takes about 35 minutes, and downloading a 720p movie images only takes a couple of hours. I've never been in that much of a rush to care about the small wait times.

Reliability wise, I think on average the DSL is down about 4 hours in a year (one short incident per year). 99.999% of the time it's working. That was not my experience with cable modem (the opposite really). Reliability would be my #1 concern.
Hylas
join:2001-06-30
Tempe, AZ

Hylas

And/Or?

I've switched back and forth from AT&T to Comcast over the years. Comcast gives me the speed and AT&T gives me the reliability. Sure AT&T is slower, but at least it's not down twice a week like the Comcast service in my area. It would be great to live in an area where I could get fast and reliable service, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards for me in Connecticut.
Gib4500
join:2003-12-08
Sardis, OH

Gib4500

Re: And/Or?

It's the same way in my area. I could get faster speed from cable but sometimes their internet will go out. At&t is slower here but it hardly ever goes down.
sludgehound
join:2007-03-12
New York, NY

sludgehound

And I thought TWC RR was bad

Dang. RR only has iffy 18/512 for $50 month w/ tv extra.
And 512 up is not true, more like 400. Only an issue up when sending a small .jpg now & then and watch it crawl. Videos play fairly good as well as prg downloads.
Wouldn't be happy w/ modem charges & teasers. Plus my early adopt DSL years back cost me pants load in stock market one critical morning when DSL went out once again.
Watched as $20k became $17K while I tried to use dial up to exit a crashing position w/ no sell stop on it.
By next month TWC became available. It had a shakey outage start & slow speeds circa 2003 but finally been solid past 2 yrs. Forget DSL if can.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152

DSL is not dead as all say, it does have a place

hey not everyone needs that much bandwidth, i mean honestly i work on computers and do large downloads, and i could get away with 3Mbps just fine, as it's fast enough to be reasonable with large downloads and my netflix, hd youtube, hulu and such do not ever need to stop and buffer.

And all of this is with my Landline (T-Mobile @Home VOIP), Cell Phones (UMA - Calls over WiFi), Wii for Netflix, and two laptops using the same connection..

now i just went to 40meg down/5meg up service from qwest, but i will never need that kind of speed for anything.
page: 1 · 2 · next