dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-09-14 08:50:07: With the FCC preparing to vote on new white space broadband spectrum rules on September 23, the agency is ramping up PR efforts lauding the technology's potential. ..

DavePR
join:2008-06-04
Canyon Country, CA

1 recommendation

DavePR

The FCC is contradicting themselves

The FCC just said they're going to take what's left of broadcast TV away to give to the Phone Company, pretty much negating this whole "white space" deal. They have frozen new TV station apps. If they Balkanize broadcast TV by mixing WCS into it, where in the world will theWhite Space Devices work?

This alleged imminent deployment is bogus. They haven't even started organizing the real-time database that the units have to consult before they transmit. Disinterested 3rd party Google has volunteered to maintain the database. And we all know Google will do everything it can to protect the signals of free over-the-air TV stations.

Vote for gridlock.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Yes, this expected FCC approval has enough limitations that widespread use will be minimized. There will be some high profile examples(like the Microsoft campus) to give it some good press. But out in the wider world, who will spend money to implement solutions using this unlicensed spectrum? Very few I expect.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned) to DavePR

to DavePR
said by DavePR:

The FCC just said they're going to take what's left of broadcast TV away to give to the Phone Company, pretty much negating this whole "white space" deal.
Exactly. If the FCC takes away channels 31-51 to give to Verizon and at&t what white spaces will be left? It's going to be hard enough to find enough frequencies for all the TV channels let alone white spaces.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to DavePR

to DavePR
said by DavePR:

And we all know Google will do everything it can to protect the signals of free over-the-air TV stations.

Vote for gridlock.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but with YouTube now offering live streams and the launch of Google TV imminent, I can't help but think that Google must be secretly wishing for free TV to go away completely.
tjb122982
join:2009-09-22
Terre Haute, IN

tjb122982

How does this help me?

I may be being a little dense here but how does help me, as a consumer? I know this is beneficial for wireless internet but could it mean new ways of getting TV without cable or satellite?

DavePR
join:2008-06-04
Canyon Country, CA

DavePR to fifty nine

to fifty nine

Re: The FCC is contradicting themselves

Yes. The fox is volunteering to guard the hen house.
DavePR

DavePR to tjb122982

to tjb122982

Re: How does this help me?

Should not affect satellite at all (although DiSH has something planned in the 700 MHz band). If you get TV with an antenna, it may make it go away. If you stream via the internet, this may help.

But I'll bet you it never sees street level deployment save for fixed antennas on farm houses.