spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-09-15 11:07:28: According to the New York Daily News, Time Warner Cable and Cablevision have agreed to spend $10 million to provide WiFi service in 32 New York City parks in exchange for a ten year franchise extension. ..

prev page · 1 · 2

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to Simba7

Re: Profit in the parks

said by Simba7:

I'm sure the ISP's can squeeze at least 1Mbps from their Tb/sec backbone.
thats quite a bit of a stretch -- considering that if a transit backbone is using something like packet over sonet links, technology only exists for n*oc768 (~40gbps). 40gbe and 100gbe are still in the pipeline and have not been standardized yet.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
reply to k1ll3rdr4g0n

said by k1ll3rdr4g0n:

ISP's do NOT pay per amount of data, they pay for the speed of data (assuming they don't have a backbone of some kind)
if an isp has a backbone -- transit is free, but the peering is not. the transit path simply allows them to carry data where cheap peering is available (or to provide "in house transit" to different nap's in the country).
at the end of the day -- if the destination resides out of the control of the isp's network, then traffic will have to be handed off to another carrier -- sometimes at a cost. depending on the size of the carrier, traffic agreements, load sharing, etc, the peering may be "free" since the two peers will come to an agreement that traffic will be roughly equal and differences split at the end of the quarter/half/year, etc (generally true for tier-1 access). however, if the isp is a residential access network that is not an old lec (i.e. your mso's) and they don't have a significant userbase from which to draw destination traffic from -- they will probably end up paying for throughput in one way or another (something like 95th percentile or so).

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to tubbynet

said by tubbynet:

thats quite a bit of a stretch -- considering that if a transit backbone is using something like packet over sonet links, technology only exists for n*oc768 (~40gbps). 40gbe and 100gbe are still in the pipeline and have not been standardized yet.
I meant multiple redundant backbones. Some of the larger ISP's (or backbone providers) usually have several.

..and that's 40GbE on a single link. We all know that a fiber bundle usually has several tens/hundreds of them.

Also, 40GbE and 100GbE are official. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Gigabit_Ethernet
--
Bresnan 18M/1M
MyWS[E5200@3.75GHz,4GB RAM,2x1TB HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2GHz,2GB RAM,120GB HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1GHz,512MB RAM,18GB HDD,SMC 8432BTA,2xDigital DE504,Compaq NC3131,Intel Pro/1000MT,IBM Gigabit Ethernet-SX,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,Gentoo Linux]

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

30 minutes/month

LOL what a joke!

SSidlov
Other Things On My Mind
Premium
join:2000-03-03
Pompton Lakes, NJ
reply to cabana

Re: Park - novel idea - how about go there to get away from wire

@cabana:

Sigh, this could be true, and everyone can always turn off their devices or put them on silent.

But this is NY the city that never sleeps whose employers are tracking your position and availability with that blackberry or other phone they gave you.

And for the private citizen? ATT et al are screwing you on the data rates, so some more free wifi or more wifi hotspots if you're a TWC/CV/CC customer is a good thing.
--
»www.Warpstock.org

SSidlov
Other Things On My Mind
Premium
Pompton Lakes, NJ
reply to fifty nine

Re: Cable firms pay 5% of gross revenue

Cable TV service does pay franchise fees. And in most home/apts around here that's $50-100 a month once the deals run out. A few years ago an audit showed that TWC applied the fee incorrectly and NYC got an extra $7mill payment.

»www.nyc.gov/html/doitt/html/busi···le.shtml
--
»www.Warpstock.org

SSidlov
Other Things On My Mind
Premium
Pompton Lakes, NJ
reply to jslik

Re: hmm

said by jslik:

Do you want government run more like a business or not?
Hmmm. Do I want to be screwed more soundly by government...... You know anything that they collect from businesses is just passed on to the consumer (you and me) and since they would have greater independent income streams from franchises, and whatever tax (call it what you will) they impose on business, you won't have as much control over budget and spending via the voting process since they can setup each fee, etc for a specific purpose (e.g lottery ticket sales).

So is a good government one that imposes no direct tax on it's citizens but taxes businesses only which then add the additional fees, etc plus 10% (in the old time & materials plus 10% model which today is at least 18% and more likely more) onto the consumer?
--
»www.Warpstock.org

SSidlov
Other Things On My Mind
Premium
Pompton Lakes, NJ
reply to dvd536

Re: 30 minutes/month

said by dvd536:

LOL what a joke!
The service they offer is already 3mb service. And you should take a look at the map of the area it covers across 3 states. »optimum.net/WiFi/Find and 60% of the population in that area? They get it without extra charges.
--
»www.Warpstock.org

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
reply to Simba7

Re: Profit in the parks

said by Simba7:

..and that's 40GbE on a single link. We all know that a fiber bundle usually has several tens/hundreds of them.
but the fiber bundle may or may not carry all of the same isp's transit traffic. the issue with having several hundred strands per bundle, is the optics, linecards, chassis, and management to be able to handle all of said terminations. at the current packet over sonet max rate -- thats still a bundle of 25 sets of strands. not saying it doesn't happen -- but thats quite a stretch to say that it *always* happens.

Also, 40GbE and 100GbE are official. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Gigabit_Ethernet
yes -- as of 17 june 2010. show me a manufacturer that has done more than demo their phy and show me a kit maker that has 40gbe or 100gbe running currently in a box for sale.

q.
--

jslik
That just happened
Premium
join:2006-03-17
reply to SSidlov

Re: hmm

Your example assumes the savings from reduced/eliminated government fees/charges in a cable franchise would be passed along. Recent history would show that not to be the case in many statewide franchising examples or the elimination of franchise fees for cable modem service.

Cable companies take into effect all charges when setting their price points - so elimination of a particular cost wouldn't necessary mean that the price point drops.
--
If they told you wolverines make good house pets, would you believe them?

SSidlov
Other Things On My Mind
Premium
Pompton Lakes, NJ

1 edit

said by jslik:

Your example assumes the savings from reduced/eliminated government fees/charges in a cable franchise would be passed along. .
Sorry, I didn't assume any such thing. When businesses have to pay fees, etc., they include it in the pricing. A goverment that 'runs like a business' gets the max fees possible. So that here in NJ the State isn't charging $7K for a lease running 20 years for powerlines through a park, there' charging 10X that for 5 years with increases. They are now as preditary as the business, and 'looking out for us' and our interests. The power company just goes before the board of utilities and says, 'look at all this money we pay in land leases, we can't make enough a of profit, can we raise our rates, please?" and the board says yes. We the consumer who was 'protected' get higher utility rates, while the government says that they now have money to regulate utilities without using tax payer dollars.

Both business and government are corrupt from the viewpoint of the citizen. Now if this should lead to some other formulation for society's structure is a totally different question and a lot of that depends on your humanist view.
--
»www.Warpstock.org