spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-09-22 18:30:05: Back in July, Sprint CEO Dan Hesse stated that the company (for now) would be sticking with unlimited wireless data -- in part because he worries that shifting to tiered packages with low caps and overages (like AT&T recently did) "takes away simplic.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

iLive4Fusion
Premium
join:2006-07-13

1 edit

1 recommendation

UGH

Come on Sprint, your are really the closest thing to a competitor to AT&T and Verizon. Don't let them push you down, give user's a reason to still be your customer's over AT&T and Verizon!!

Besides, I am NOT going to pay more for Sprint data, it's slow, inconsistent and 3.9G WiMax is abysmal. Right now the only thing they really have going for them is call quality and pricing.

MonochromeHA

@eliablehosting.com

1 recommendation

B&W

It's always been hard for me to trust a company that can't afford color commercials. They really should keep the smug CEO out of the field of view too.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1
reply to iLive4Fusion

Re: UGH

Sprint's "4G" works fine where I am in Virginia. I've been streaming my Slingbox TV to my EVO over 4G for the last 3.5 hours with absolutely no issues at all. Probably going to have to stay late at the office and catch the Yankee's game on my phone. No caps to worry about, yet, and the WiMax signal is strong and steady.

Don't you work for AT&T?

iLive4Fusion
Premium
said by jmn1207:

Sprint's "4G" works fine where I am in Virginia. I've been streaming my Slingbox TV to my EVO over 4G for the last 3.5 hours with absolutely no issues at all. Probably going to have to stay late at the office and catch the Yankee's game on my phone. No caps to worry about, yet, and the WiMax signal is strong and steady.

Don't you work for AT&T?
Nope. I am a police dispatcher. And funny thing is I have Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon. I have the Epic 4G and it's great and all except for the upload's being capped at 150kbps. I really hope WiMax will come to Alabama sometime soon because my Epic would benefit from it greatly.
--
2010 Ford Fusion Sport

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to MonochromeHA

Re: B&W

those B/W ads actually do something for them. you REMEMBER THEM! That is the game with marketing. It's not about the ad and how its made; it's about making you remember it and say "yah i seen those ads- they belong to Sprint". And yes; it does that to you.
--
www.twopugsbrand.com Kosher, Vegan, and Organic Certified Dog and Cat treats/foods and other products! www.etsy.com/shop/snakx4u/ Organic, Kosher, Gluten Free, Vegan Human Baked Goods

jmn1207
Premium
Ashburn, VA
Well, I barely remember any of the Sprint commercials, yet I always seem to have the latest Apple product jingle in my head. Have you seen the one with the new iPod nano? On a visit to Africa, I've swallowed pills for malaria that were bigger.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to MonochromeHA
said by MonochromeHA :

They really should keep the smug CEO out of the field of view too.
I'm with ya on that... not a pretty person is he?

MonochromeHA

@eliablehosting.com
It's not that he has to be charismatic but his demeanor and delivery remind me just how out of touch executive staff are with the needs of the general public. Through his entire delivery it's as if every word makes him wince.

It may be that he's not great on camera.

The monochrome style is less memorable than the awkward and forced spiel from the CEO. If they marketing droids are going for impressionism they got me at using the CEO to deliver a forced message, not a monochrome delivery.

Note - I have no cell phone, I'm not swayed in either direction by any carrier.

Telco_Tech

join:2009-05-18
Toledo, OH
reply to iLive4Fusion

said by iLive4Fusion:

Nope. I am a police dispatcher. And funny thing is I have Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon. I have the Epic 4G and it's great and all except for the upload's being capped at 150kbps. I really hope WiMax will come to Alabama sometime soon because my Epic would benefit from it greatly.
The 150 Kbps upstream speed limit is a software / hardware problem with the Epic. A software fix is in the works which is supposed to resolve it but we'll see what happens. I actually just returned my Epic this afternoon. I decided to stick with my EVO 4G running Cyanogen CM6 - in my opinion it's the best device currently available on Sprint.

- Tate

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

Timetable in...Five...four..

Three months! That is my over/under for the Hesseter to raise rates and go to metered billing.
--
The weekend is here, grab a can of beer!

gomer1701ems

join:2001-08-23
Minneapolis, MN
reply to jmn1207

The old "7 PM" commercials were in color.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

same

Its apparent that all three of these major providers have some of the same people on the upper food chain running these companies.. Why else would they virtually be borged copies of each other? Sprint is different now, but imo, its only for show.. Verizons lte will go this way too, unlimited at first, if even then and then due to the "new england patriots at the buffett bs" they will come up with some reason to screw it up..

Its done

JohnILM
Mayhem til the AM
Premium
join:2003-03-15
Tuckahoe, NY

Raise it even for no 4G area?

I don't mind the extra $10 for my WiMax device, even though I don't currently live in a 4G market, but if Hesse is going to state that "We know that users will use a lot more data [on Epic and Evo], so we charge $10 more." Then you are basically saying it's a 4G surcharge. I don't know how they could justify raising it even more for people that can't use 4G.

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

Oh Please

Wireless is an insanely profitable medium for these companies. "Afford" is a pathetically relative term that actually means "if there is no competitive incentive to do so", then they will stop offering unlimited.

Once the Nextel losses finally stop and Sprint's financials stabilize, you can kiss goodbye to unlimited. I'm just hoping their experimental LTE service will come over here before that happens so I can get in on an unlimited plan and grandfather it as the years go by.

jmn1207
Premium
Ashburn, VA

2 recommendations

reply to iLive4Fusion

I thought you claimed to work for AT&T regional network operations from this thread is why I asked.

»Re: [Sprint] HTC Evo vs. Samsung Epic

CMoore2004
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Jonesville, MI

4G Extra

Am I the only person that thinks they should be giving us a discount, or at the least not charging extra, for using 4G instead of charging more? The 4G network takes stress off the very limited 3G/voice network, where they can only add so much bandwidth. I would think they'd be happy to have someone using a network that costs them less to deliver each byte of data. Does the average Epic/Evo user actually use that much more bandwidth compared to non-4G Android devices.

ryder9

join:2003-01-09
here

1 recommendation

reply to jmn1207

dude.... you got caught....... bad.....

a side.. note .... I do work for a baby bell and I use sprint.....
Companies are not loyal to employees, why should I be loyal to them?

side note #2...... I can still find epics all over the place... but still no evo... that's what I'm holding out for... cuz I don't think the new palm phone will be out before Christmas.... but that webOS tablet WILL BE BOUGHT LAUNCH DAY!!!

DavidWL

@charter.com

Bad Idea Sprint

So, right now Sprint has very small advantages over the bigger carriers. One of those being price, and one being true unlimited data. Raising the price (on an already hiked price) and/or dropping true unlimited screams "run to the competition" to me.

Sprint is one of the slowest to adopt new stellar phones (about 1-2 a year, while Verizon is grabbing about 4-5). I had my first taste of 4G and hit a download speed of 1.8 Mbps with 0.13 Mbps up; I switched to 3G and got 1.5 Mbps down and 0.38 Mbps up. So, 83% down and 300% up on 3G makes me think 4G is not living up to the expectations, plus the battery drain is idiotic, and I'm being charged for it when I don't get it anywhere closer than 3 hours away. So 4G isn't Sprint's killer feature (and other carriers are already gearing up to catch and surpass Sprint on this). Sprint's coverage isn't as good as the larger two either.

So really, Sprint isn't in the position to be jeopardizing the tiny thing keeping some of us loyal customers around. If they marginalize the differences and homogenize the market (collusion / monopoly-like much?), why pick #3 when you can easily go #1 or #2 for little to no disadvantage.

This tiered/metered/capped Internet stuff is a bunch of garbage and all the carriers/ISPs better figure it out fast. We don't want to pay more for less.

iLive4Fusion
Premium
reply to jmn1207

said by jmn1207:

I thought you claimed to work for AT&T regional network operations from this thread is why I asked.

»Re: [Sprint] HTC Evo vs. Samsung Epic
Used to, should have clarified, I quit that craphole when they merged with AT&T. I worked for "Cingular Wireless" orange. It should have stated ''Worked" but it's kinda hard posting everything from a mobile phone since my laptop is at apple being fixed "again"
--
2010 Ford Fusion Sport

iLive4Fusion
Premium
reply to ryder9
said by ryder9:

dude.... you got caught....... bad.....

a side.. note .... I do work for a baby bell and I use sprint.....
Companies are not loyal to employees, why should I be loyal to them?

side note #2...... I can still find epics all over the place... but still no evo... that's what I'm holding out for... cuz I don't think the new palm phone will be out before Christmas.... but that webOS tablet WILL BE BOUGHT LAUNCH DAY!!!
Ha. I am very proud to say I don't work for the hell hole that has becometh of AT&T anymore. I much prefer my lower pay government salary in an environment where the people are friendly and I enjoy getting up and going to work. I could be working at the big V in ATL but i'm happy where i'm at so why bother?
--
2010 Ford Fusion Sport

iLive4Fusion
Premium
reply to Telco_Tech
said by Telco_Tech:

said by iLive4Fusion:

The 150 Kbps upstream speed limit is a software / hardware problem with the Epic. A software fix is in the works which is supposed to resolve it but we'll see what happens. I actually just returned my Epic this afternoon. I decided to stick with my EVO 4G running Cyanogen CM6 - in my opinion it's the best device currently available on Sprint.

- Tate

It likely is. I just wanted the keyboard since I use my mobile as a computer as of late since my MacBook Pro keep's conking out on me.
--
2010 Ford Fusion Sport

old_dawg
"I Know Noting..."

join:2001-09-22
Westminster, MD

Poor Danny Boy

"I can't afford to do that anymore".

What, take a cut in your undeserved, overinflated salary?
--
"Our network engineers are aware of the problem..."

P Ness
You'Ve Forgotten 9-11 Already
Premium
join:2001-08-29
way way out
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by old_dawg:

its not salary that is over inflated its the benefits

paying multiples lower in insurance premums a year, still getting a pension funded and getting insane 401k matches of 200% or more...

that is why everyone wants to work for the govt
--
NO U

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
·Comcast
said by P Ness:

said by old_dawg:

its not salary that is over inflated its the benefits

paying multiples lower in insurance premums a year, still getting a pension funded and getting insane 401k matches of 200% or more...

that is why everyone wants to work for the govt
government employees get a 401k?

I never saw such a thing when I worked for the govt.

rawgerz
The hell was that?
Premium
join:2004-10-03
Grove City, PA
reply to dib22

He's neither pretty nor ugly. It's not like he's Sloth from the goonies!

podstolom

join:2010-01-25
Wichita, KS

I dunno....

Sprint worries me. Their inconsistency in establishing and implementing policy never ceases to amaze me.

Grandfathered unlimited 3G accounts getting emails saying their 5 Gig caps being exceeded, then call-ins to csr's tlling affected customers to ignore the emails.

Now 4G data is unlimited, but maybe it won't be? More "ignorable" emails on more grandfathered accounts.

What with that, and now Comcast not wanting to invest further in Clearwire, Sprint not wanting to buy up the rest of the company, and Clearwire needing fast cash by year's end to continue dead-tech WiMax buildouts into next year, well I dunno....Sprint is riding a heckuva teetering see-saw from the way things look to me.

And that's really too bad, because I like the EVO. A lot. But with the aforementioned said, the thought of switching to Sprint gives me the shakes.

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
reply to jmn1207

I could see Sprint eventually dumping unlimited on 3G except for those paying the EVO/Epic tax. Clear has the spectrum to keep 4G unlimited and they want to compete with cable, so if they ever have caps, would likely be more comparable to cable.

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
reply to CMoore2004

Re: 4G Extra

said by CMoore2004:

Does the average Epic/Evo user actually use that much more bandwidth compared to non-4G Android devices.
Probably. I am consuming more data on Evo than when I had a Pre. VZW also claims Droid users use 5X more data than non-smartphone users.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter

Better, clearer commercials are helping

In addition to 4g and EVO, Sprint's new commercials are finally making a case for why consumers should choose them over AT&T or Verizon: dramatic cost savings.

Sprint still mentions the "now" network, whatever the hell that means, but the chaotic commercials touting thousands of users tweeting or watching video on their phones seem to be a thing of the past.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to ryder9

said by ryder9:

but that webOS tablet WILL BE BOUGHT LAUNCH DAY!!!
Ditto and Ditto!
--
The weekend is here, grab a can of beer!