dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-09-24 16:16:05: Given Clearwire needs additional funds to continue deployment of their Mobile WiMax network, and T-Mobile needs an eventual fourth generation upgrade path -- the two companies have been flirting with a business arrangement for much of the year. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

WeSRT4
join:2000-11-20
Mobile, AL

WeSRT4

Too many complications

This won't work. With Sprint owning 51% of Clearwire, throwing T-Mobile into the mix will only make things more complicated. If the three companies want to get this tied up; they may be better off to just merge.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

I hope not, I'm very happy paying t-mobile prices and do not want sprint pricing.

boogi man
join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man

me too!
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to ArrayList

to ArrayList
Have you looked at Sprint pricing lately? It's actually not bad at all if you want data with your cellular service.

Otherwise, go with Virgin Mobile, which is still Sprint.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

Clear and cable companies should stick to WiMAX

Would be ideal if the cable companies pump more into WiMAX and then Sprint/Tmob merge and convert CDMA/PCS to LTE down the road.

Since it doesn't look like the cable companies will invest much more into Clear, the chances are looking higher that Clear will add or change to LTE eventually, especially if Tmob is in the picture.

WiMAX has a much better chance at global roaming and wider range of consumer electronic devices. Hopefully Clear keeps WiMAX long term. Sprint should be the one who eventually goes LTE.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx

Re: Too many complications

yes I have looked at sprint. I can't get a low minutes, unlimited data & sms plan on sprint. and they still cost at least $20-30 more. Call me weird, but I don't use more than 300 minutes a month on a family plan so I can't justify getting a plan with 1500 minutes.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to xenophon

to xenophon

Re: Clear and cable companies should stick to WiMAX

sprint won't go LTE they'll change their customers to WiMax the same as they're doing now. It's proven to work. It has how many customers using it now with just Sprint and how many customers world wide.

LTE is still in the lab and is not proven to do anything. It has one device in the United States and is at a dead stop. The telco's (T and VZ) control too much LTE and Sprint won't have that. Hell Sprint is the only one that has pushed into the 4G network and is moving along just fine. I don't see VZ putting up their network or showing off devices yet or even pricing. T says their not worried and not moving yet, and TMO is the same as T. So why move to LTE when nobody else is in the US.

Go Sprint GO! If you build it- customers will come!
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx to ArrayList

to ArrayList

Re: Too many complications

Ah, family plans. That would do it. Sprint's family plans are expansive but expensive.

If you just wanted an individual plan, Virgin Mobile has 300 minutes + unlimited everything else for $25 per month. Decent phones these days, too.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

I also use android. should have mentioned that.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

Which phone?

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

I have the g1 right now and will be getting a new phone in the spring.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

Cool.

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight to ArrayList

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

I hope not, I'm very happy paying t-mobile prices and do not want sprint pricing.
Agreed. I also like my "Unlimited" 3G actually being UNLIMITED
PapaMidnight

PapaMidnight to ArrayList

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

I have the g1 right now and will be getting a new phone in the spring.
I have a CLIQ myself. Great for tethering with PDANet.
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

LTE is a world standard

Wimax will not have the selection of devices that LTE will have.

Clearwire might become a wholesaler of LTE service. This way, Sprint and T-Mobile would split the cost of deploying LTE and share a Clearwire-operated network. T-Mob and Sprint could remain separate entities despite using the same network, just like Bell and Telus did in Canada when they switched from CDMA to GSM (HSPA/UMTS only) a year ago.
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4

One problem for Clear is that much of their spectrum may not be well suited to Frequency Division Duplex LTE. They could move to TD-LTE (Time Division Duplex) but TD-LTE is actually much more compatible with mobile WiMAX than it will ever be with FD-LTE. Supposedly all things are go for Verizon Wireless to introduce FD-LTE to 30 cities and over 100 Million POPs in December so I wouldn't say LTE is still in the lab.

IMHO for the right price at the right time Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile) will definitely consider merging T-Mobile USA, Sprint and Clearwire.
pepe7
join:2003-08-25

pepe7

It's not a battle

»www.wimax.com/lte/why-th ··· a-battle

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member
join:2006-07-13

iLive4Fusion to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4

said by hottboiinnc4:

sprint won't go LTE they'll change their customers to WiMax the same as they're doing now. It's proven to work. It has how many customers using it now with just Sprint and how many customers world wide.

LTE is still in the lab and is not proven to do anything. It has one device in the United States and is at a dead stop. The telco's (T and VZ) control too much LTE and Sprint won't have that. Hell Sprint is the only one that has pushed into the 4G network and is moving along just fine. I don't see VZ putting up their network or showing off devices yet or even pricing. T says their not worried and not moving yet, and TMO is the same as T. So why move to LTE when nobody else is in the US.

Go Sprint GO! If you build it- customers will come!
VZW doesn't need to show off anything, one opening weekend with a good LTE phone is enough to double the customer's Clearwire/Sprint have on their 4G network easily.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to pepe7

Premium Member

to pepe7

Re: It's not a battle

heh... actually, it is. Everything in business is a battle.

I read that page, and to be honest, it really didn't amount to much.. I also can't believe that what was written, was..

In the end, most people don't care how their phones/mobile devices get faster, its just that they do.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to iLive4Fusion

to iLive4Fusion

doubt it. people are looking on pricing. VZ already said they're looking at caps and overages. not off to a good start. and phones? they don't even have a phone yet.
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to jfmezei

to jfmezei

Re: LTE is a world standard

WiMax is a world standard as well. The thing that sucks for them all is the standard changes once you put it on Frequencies. Not many places you're phone can roam easily.
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to Sammer

to Sammer

LTE is still in the lab until that network is shown to work and devices are out and being used. And Metro doesn't count.

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member

iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

said by hottboiinnc4:

LTE is still in the lab until that network is shown to work and devices are out and being used. And Metro doesn't count.
It already has been shown to work in the real world in the market's VZW has already tested it in. Just because they don't flaunt their results doesn't mean it's not been tested properly. Just google VZW testing LTE..
iLive4Fusion

iLive4Fusion to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4
said by hottboiinnc4:

doubt it. people are looking on pricing. VZ already said they're looking at caps and overages. not off to a good start. and phones? they don't even have a phone yet.
Most AT&T and VZW customer's really couldn't care less about price as long as they have a perception they have the best.

idunnoall
@pacbell.net

idunnoall to fiberguy2

Anon

to fiberguy2

Re: It's not a battle

The business competition side will remain a battle.
As for the technology side, perhaps the writer has a point.

If Wimax is superior for backhaul as was declared, all wireless carriers would come to depend on it whether their customers' wireless access was Wimax itself or LTE or WiFi. That would put Clear at a clear advantage, pardon the pun.

Remember that the telcos are dragging their feet especially when it comes to rural coverage. T is not deploying much fiber and VZW for all its early FiOS hype has slowed down. It will be the same for their LTE.

If the backhaul is ubiquitous as Wimax anyway, would it not make sense for end users to take advantage of that network?

juang
@spcsdns.net

juang

Anon

clearwire can't even keep my internet on

Clearwire can't keep my internet on one day with a problem and why is no one talking about this ,Has to be one of the worst company that i have ever dealt with in my life .
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to iLive4Fusion

to iLive4Fusion

a test market of what? 5 cities? that doesn't show anything. plus its not getting real world experience.

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member

iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

said by hottboiinnc4:

a test market of what? 5 cities? that doesn't show anything. plus its not getting real world experience.
If their launching in 30 market's this year they will test it in 30 market's this year. Verizon is not the type of company like Sprint too deploy something without testing it. Verizon has the means and motive to get this working much better than WiMax and with the amount of funding they have vs. Clear they will succeed with this. And LTE even has a voice standard in the work's. Not sure why you are thinking the LTE deployment will fail like WiMax has here but I can assure you VZW won't botch this one up
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

said by iLive4Fusion:

Not sure why you are thinking the LTE deployment will fail like WiMax has here but I can assure you VZW won't botch this one up
WiMAX has failed? It's deployed globally in about 150 countries covering 600M people and still growing. It has far better chance of global roaming than LTE since LTE is on over a dozen bands. WiMAX is primarily only on 3 bands.

»www.wimaxforum.org/resou ··· y-report

Just because the telcom industry is going to LTE doesn't mean all wireless ISPs will.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to jfmezei

Premium Member

to jfmezei

Re: LTE is a world standard

Clearwire has about 120mhz+ in almost every market nationwide.

They're currently using 20-30mhz of that for WiMax.

They're testing LTE in Phoenix. T-Mobile is participating in that LTE testing.

I'm willing to bet that part of the agreement is that Clear will roll out LTE-Advanced in the future on Clear's 2.6ghz spectrum. Sprint will continue selling and marketing WiMax. T-Mobile will market the LTE-A. This would make a lot of sense, actually. As by that time, Clear will have better backhauls in place, they can use the same towers for the same coverage, but run 2 networks targeting different audiences.

Plus, by that time LTE roaming will become an issue, and Clear is definitely going to want to get some of that roaming cash.
page: 1 · 2 · next