dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-10-05 13:14:12: For weeks we've reported how many Clearwire customers are seeing their service throttled back to speeds around 256 kbps, without Clearwire being clear about how, why or when this occurs. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

Just two months ago...

A matter of a couple of months ago there was stories here where Clear said they want users to use it to there full advantage, no caps, no restrictions, etc....Now this? What did they expect would happen? You don't go to a fat camp and offer all you can eat cake and limit it to one or two slices after you have everyone eating.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

You must live or work near an underutilized tower or tough luck baby!! If the tower near your most frequent usage is over-committed then you will never get near the speeds their 4G service promises.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

hottboiinnc4

that and until they put some more backhaul to that tower. but all services are like that.
nanaki333
join:2010-08-11
Chantilly, VA

nanaki333

guess they weren't ready

for such a large customer base so fast. they tout it being 4G and want all carriers to use them, but this is very poor publicity for them to say the least.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to swintec

to swintec

Re: Just two months ago...

said by swintec:

A matter of a couple of months ago there was stories here where Clear said they want users to use it to there full advantage, no caps, no restrictions, etc....Now this? What did they expect would happen? You don't go to a fat camp and offer all you can eat cake and limit it to one or two slices after you have everyone eating.
Yeah, what happened to Clear's "100s of MHZ of spectrum" that all the shills were raving about?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4
said by hottboiinnc4:

that and until they put some more backhaul to that tower. but all services are like that.
That seems to be the biggest problem in the wireless industry. Not enough backhaul to their towers to handle the explosion in data usage. And that is all companies - not just Clearwire.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

1 recommendation

michieru to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
It's called QOS, in order for everyone to have a certain level of service everyone across the network will be be reduced in speed. As more backhaul is provided the speeds will increase to maximize tower utilization. MetroPCS had the same issue when they started offering unlimited voice in Miami, FL. The towers where over their original capacity and dropped calls and QOS had gone out the window, as capacity was increased so was the overall end user experience was better.

It took MetroPCS over a year to get the capacities issues resolved, and even then in more dense area's they still have some capacity issues. QOS will suffer as the demand is greater than the supply, but as long as you can see those issues resolved and their coverage increasing, you can tell whether or not a company is cashing in or actually expanding their reach and coverage.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to FFH5

to FFH5
true. but my comment was actually about ALL providers. Not just wireless. hardwire/landline access is the same way. Any HSI Product can have this issue. DSL due to the amount of people compared to the ATM line that goes to the actual Internet, cable depends on the bandwidth to the node and at the CMTS, etc.

People don't seem to get that though. They just want something always to bitch about and that's basically what this website has become. A website to bitch about what people want and think they deserve; if not, its all hell on here as far as people bitching about it.
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to patcat88

to patcat88
that is putting out to the EU. NOT in terms of what is being used for backhaul. But while we're on it; where is VZ and their LTE? OH! Still in the lab! OOPS!
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to nanaki333

to nanaki333

Re: guess they weren't ready

all companies have growing pains. VZ will have issues as well. The same as T did and does with iPhone.
jkeelsnc
join:2008-08-22
Greensboro, NC

jkeelsnc

I agree. If VZ had the Iphone now I suspect their own 3g network would become quickly overburdened. In the city where I live now their 3g network sucks anyway which is why I don't use it.
jkeelsnc

jkeelsnc to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4

I agree. Who knows if LTE will even become what VZ or even ATT promise. 3g, 4g, etc are "good" but they cannot provide the kind of service that a cable, DSL, or FTTC connection can. Backhaul is another thing. Of course they are going to oversubscribe service to a point. But its another thing when it is done with abandon and then service (and speeds) suffer. I will give AT&T credit at least on their DSL service. It rarely slows down on me even in the evenings.
jkeelsnc

jkeelsnc to swintec

to swintec
Its wireless. I suspect this will always be an issue with wireless service. I don't think you can expect to have a long line buffet table of internet service on a wireless connection. Especially if you live in a large city. The wireless spectrum available to most providers simply will not meet the piggish demands of users who are expecting a real replacement for cable or dsl service.
DarnellP
join:2004-10-12
Las Vegas, NV

DarnellP to patcat88

to patcat88
nothing happened to it. They're just not using a majority of it at the moment.
Qrusher
join:2002-09-26
Farmersville, CA

Qrusher

8 gig/month cap

Thats what i've been hearing. That is unacceptable. How can that be heavy usage? lol I could get more than that on dialup. They say its supposed to recalculate every 15 mins, but i've gone days stuck at .25mbps. And the only time it would sometimes come off is after 2am.

I'm not sure what they expected when they upgraded to 4g. When i started getting 500k/sec, i knew it was too good to be true. I wouldnt mind a 250gig cap. Hell, i've never come close to that with Clearwire before. I usually only hit 50gig or so. But cant get near that now.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to FFH5

to FFH5

Clear's towers are close enough to each other that they can use gigabit backhauls from E-Band and other providers to push some serious bandwidth over those links. The issue is

1) Getting those links online
2) Getting enough bandwidth from the local hub to serve customers in the area

The second issue might be harder to deal with if plant upgrades need to be completed for cpacity increases, since that requires putting fiber in the ground. There's also the issue of not having enough base stations at the top of the tower, limiting last-mile bandwidth. That's under Clear's control though, so it may be more easily fixable.
iansltx

iansltx to patcat88

to patcat88
They have 100MHz of spectrum. I believe they're using 40MHz on a given tower. That actually should be plenty...

Toguro
join:2003-10-23
Rockford, IL

Toguro to Qrusher

to Qrusher

Re: 8 gig/month cap

The cap comes off at 12am in the Chicago area. I do about 40gigs a month and was led to believe that was fine.

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

3 edits

1 recommendation

SysOp

Former clear customer

It's too little, too late

After dealing with misinformation over and over again from their CSRs when I was hit by the throttle monster for using an avg of 50 gigs a month, the answer became clear to me.

I needed another ISP.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

and you were on one of those towers where they need to increase their backhaul to. What happens when the same thing goes with Comcast? You're speeds will go down as well if they add a evey user to your NODE. you'll be SOL there as well. If you need a set amount of bandwidth each month you should pay for it by either getting a business connection from the MSO or getting a leased line. After all this is how the Internet works. You get what they're able to provide you within that reason and that reason allows them to throttle the users on that tower and or node to serve the rest of those customers as well equally. Clear should be given credit by doing it to ALL of the customers on the tower and just not the heavy users. BUT NOPE! You'll have people on here bitching about how they were mistreated and such by their company.

Jon Geb
Long time member
join:2001-01-09
Howell, MI

Jon Geb

They won't answer this correctly

If Clearwire comes out and says what the truth is they will get hit with lawsuits that they will lose. They are in a pickle right now and its said they didnt see it coming.

Heres a question. I have Sprint 4G mobile broadband, in 4G areas am I going to start seeing throttling there too?
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

Zombie Clearwire

Its like they were infected people. For first few hours they are very good to your ("unlimited", "no caps", even encourage to use it over your cable/dsl (bastards)) but then once your exceed their expectations they turn into zombies and eat your alive until your contract runs out (if you were not smart enough to sign it).

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

2 edits

SysOp to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4

Re: Former clear customer

said by hottboiinnc4:

and you were on one of those towers where they need to increase their backhaul to. What happens when the same thing goes with Comcast? You're speeds will go down as well if they add a evey user to your NODE. you'll be SOL there as well. If you need a set amount of bandwidth each month you should pay for it by either getting a business connection from the MSO or getting a leased line. After all this is how the Internet works. You get what they're able to provide you within that reason and that reason allows them to throttle the users on that tower and or node to serve the rest of those customers as well equally. Clear should be given credit by doing it to ALL of the customers on the tower and just not the heavy users. BUT NOPE! You'll have people on here bitching about how they were mistreated and such by their company.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Go read up before you post again.

-Atlanta is 100% microwave backhaul between towers to their 1gbps pop interconnect
-Clear business requires a business to qualify
-50 gigs usage is well within reason
-I have Comcast now, don't need a lease line
-These are legitimate complaints, you sir are bitching
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

again. don't like what i had to say? don't read it. and stop callling people names and grow up.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to jkeelsnc

to jkeelsnc

You are so correct.

Wireless phone service was to be for small short term bursts of data, for many users. It has become not only for phone and e-mail or text, but for watching TV, Surfing the internet, Maps and GPS data, Music, Shopping lists and coupons, Near by shopping and dinning and you name it.

No one though you would do these things on a small phone screen, but the phone and screens have gotten better.

Also you have many user getting on these unlimited plans and using the phones unlimited wireless package to drive there home networks internet usage. This can use much more data then can be used by the phone it self as the user interface is much better and you can have many PC's share the connection.

So in the end you will see all wireless package either have a Cap or the network will use QOS/network management to throttle all users to slower speeds. They will have no other choice.

redxii
Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan

redxii

Mod

The cap is less than 500MB a day

Stay below 500MB every day to avoid being throttled for the millennium

Toguro
join:2003-10-23
Rockford, IL

Toguro to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4

Re: Former clear customer

Then don't post in his topic and start your own.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4

said by hottboiinnc4:

that is putting out to the EU. NOT in terms of what is being used for backhaul. But while we're on it; where is VZ and their LTE? OH! Still in the lab! OOPS!
So why is Clear capping and throttling if they have 100 mhz of spectrum but are using a fraction of it?
patcat88

patcat88 to iansltx

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

They have 100MHz of spectrum. I believe they're using 40MHz on a given tower. That actually should be plenty...
So why is Clear throttling then?
patcat88

patcat88 to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
said by hottboiinnc4:

You can buy LTE from MetroPCS today, just have your credit card ready.
page: 1 · 2 · next