dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-10-18 11:10:54: As broadcast networks continue to ask for higher rates, we're continuing to see uglier and uglier fights between cable operators and broadcasters -- with consumers stuck in the middle. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
clickie8
join:2005-05-22
Monroe, MI

clickie8

Get Paid for OTA?

I don't get how local broadcast networks can ask to be paid for what they give away for free over the air. With the majority of the viewers coming from cable and satellite, someone has to stand up to these jackasses and say "you're lucky to be carried, get lost".

This is amounting to local broadcasters getting free use of spectrum *and* a healthy corporate welfare check from the viewers who have the audacity to purchase cable or satellite service.
br1252
join:2007-04-10
Norwalk, CT

br1252

Re: Get Paid for OTA?

If Cablevision took the approach that they are doing a service for the OTA broadcasters and charged THEM that would make more sense!

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by br1252:

If Cablevision took the approach that they are doing a service for the OTA broadcasters and charged THEM that would make more sense!
If that were the case, this current dispute would be a non issue.
56403739 (banned)
Less than 5 months left
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL

2 edits

56403739 (banned) to br1252

to br1252
said by br1252:

If Cablevision and the rest of the MVPDs actually produced the highest-rated, most in-demand programming themselves, maybe they could get away with that. Unfortunately for them, their entire business model hinges on retransmitting the work of others and skimming massive profits off the top at the same time (see Comcast earnings even in this depression).

Cablevision is completely within their rights to take the high road and deny Fox carriage if News Corp. continues to demand payment the Dolans deem outrageous. Of course, they will also be without a bunch of the top TV programs. The regulations governing this do not require a network or channel be carried if the channel demands payment for said carriage.

Basically, the Dolans don't have the stones to stand up to Rupert Murdoch and are whining about it instead.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

oh yes they do. Because it's that time of year and every MSO and DBS and FTTx provider has or will see the samething happen. T already has had it happen and they currently don't have access to certain channels- Hallmark anyone- due to the issue with wanting more $$$.

VZ won't cave with the increase demand of $$$ nor will anyone else- except TWC.
56403739 (banned)
Less than 5 months left
Naples, FL

56403739 (banned)

Bullshit. You have no idea how this process works from the inside.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69 to clickie8

to clickie8
Thank the 1992 Cable Act and introducing retranmission consent which subsequently went into effect in 1994.

Retransmission consent is an option granted to US television stations as part of the law that granted such stations the option to elect must-carry rights. Under retransmission consent, a full-power US television station may elect to negotiate with a cable system operator for carriage of its broadcast programming. A station may propose that the cable operator pay cash to carry the station or ask for any other form of consideration. The cable operator may refuse the broadcaster's proposal and not carry the station or offer a counter-proposal. Broadcast stations have similar rights with respect to DBS television providers like DirecTV and Dish Network.

Before that point it was must-carry where as you said they were lucky to have all the eyeballs they could for advertising dollars. Thank the same bought and paid for politicans who voted this through. Same ones trying to stick up for their constituents. Repeal this part of the cable act, get rid of retransmission consent and go back to must carry only.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

said by kickass69:

Thank the 1992 Cable Act and introducing retranmission consent which subsequently went into effect in 1994.

Retransmission consent is an option granted to US television stations as part of the law that granted such stations the option to elect must-carry rights. Under retransmission consent, a full-power US television station may elect to negotiate with a cable system operator for carriage of its broadcast programming. A station may propose that the cable operator pay cash to carry the station or ask for any other form of consideration. The cable operator may refuse the broadcaster's proposal and not carry the station or offer a counter-proposal. Broadcast stations have similar rights with respect to DBS television providers like DirecTV and Dish Network.

Before that point it was must-carry where as you said they were lucky to have all the eyeballs they could for advertising dollars. Thank the same bought and paid for politicans who voted this through. Same ones trying to stick up for their constituents. Repeal this part of the cable act, get rid of retransmission consent and go back to must carry only.
Bought and paid for by whom?
If Cablevision doesn't retransmit FOX, Fox loses eyeballs and advertising dollars. They also get loads of bad press.
From what I understand, If FOX wants to, they can elect to not get paid, but retain must-carry which would give them more eyeballs.

They both have options. I don't see the problem with the law.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

Customers will go to another carrier: FiOS, DTV, Dish, U-Verse, Hulu, etc.

The sheeple that watch TV will find their way.

EvelKub
Kitty is crazy
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Mesa, AZ

EvelKub

Premium Member

Actually, Fox isn't carried on Dish Network either at this point due to contract dispute.

»getwhatipaidfor.com
»www.dishnetwork.com/news ··· fox.aspx

Lotsa eyeballs not watching commercials on the Fox networks..
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to en102

to en102
U-Verse will have the same problem and is not available in NY, Hulu? yah that will work when Fox doesn't upload everything to it. FiOS will have the same issue and the network providers aren't giving into the content owners. So- people will have to deal with what they get until Fox can get their shit together and stop charging for shit people don't watch. American Idol is so far not worth what Fox wants.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to kickass69

to kickass69
said by kickass69:

Thank the cable companies and ted turner for suing the old must carry rules out of existence.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus to clickie8

to clickie8
Hmm... because the networks own the rights, and they can make money from them.

What is not right is governments telling cable corps that "You must carry network TV", and then they have to pay for it. However, sometimes its a condition of a franchise agreement, which is OK because there is a contract.

Fox has some pretty good leverage over Hulu to get them to block CableVision. The worst thing I can see happening from this is a fake "network neutrality" bill coming out that says servers cannot block who they want to, and says nothing about what network operators cannot do.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

1 recommendation

jmn1207

Premium Member

said by axus:

Fox has some pretty good leverage over Hulu to get them to block CableVision.
They most definitely have leverage over Hulu. They will threaten to do the same to Hulu as they are currently doing to Cablevision when their negotiations come up, and Hulu will either have to submit or be forced to drop all Fox content. And just like what is happening with our cable TV providers, the customers will mostly blame Hulu for dropping their favorite programs, or complain about the increased cost of service when Hulu is forced to raise subscription prices in order to keep this content.
56403739 (banned)
Less than 5 months left
Naples, FL

56403739 (banned)

said by jmn1207:

They will threaten to do the same to Hulu as they are currently doing to Cablevision
You know News Corp. (Fox) is a part-owner of Hulu, right?

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

said by 56403739:

said by jmn1207:

They will threaten to do the same to Hulu as they are currently doing to Cablevision
You know News Corp. (Fox) is a part-owner of Hulu, right?
Thanks for the reminder. I knew a bunch of major media companies had started Hulu, but the news article was worded in a way that made it seem like Fox was not a part of this joint venture, as they "managed to get Hulu to block Cablevision customers". They probably did not even have to ask anyone to do this, as they likely already had complete control over this ability.

Also, how Hulu might be able to buckle to what is essentially themselves, is another statement that seemed to be a bit misleading. I believe it was important enough information that is should have been declared at the top of the story. Fox, which owns 31% of Hulu....

Thanks again.
56403739 (banned)
Less than 5 months left
Naples, FL

1 recommendation

56403739 (banned)

The confusion was caused by Karl not getting the facts straight, or intentionally making it look like News Corp. bullied poor Hulu into blocking Cablevision customers when in reality all it probably took was a phone call from the Fox mothership. You are absolved...
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow

Premium Member

This is what Rupert bought with his citizenship. Fox is the mouthpiece for the Republican party. Fox may over play their hand they will not have the top shows because they have no eyeballs. They should pay to have their free OTA content carried.
56403739 (banned)
Less than 5 months left
Naples, FL

56403739 (banned)

said by WhatNow:

Fox may over play their hand they will not have the top shows because they have no eyeballs. They should pay to have their free OTA content carried.
Fox is completely within their rights to overplay whatever hand they are dealt. Ironically, television viewers are 100% in control of the game but most don't want to do what it takes to be the "house".

I've said it before...until viewers start saying "no" to programmers who think there is no limit on the amount they can charge, this will never end. If Fox loses enough viewers then maybe they'll have to change their tactics. Same for ESPN. The only reason they can outbid "free" television networks for programming like the NFL and BCS football bowls is because they can force cable and satellite subscribers to pay for it. There is zero incentive for them to keep costs down. Very much like the government...

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

The current business model keeps the consumer control, with regards to supply and demand, completely out of the loop. The only consumer choice is the impractical idea of dropping cable completely.

Imagine if hamburger and sausage were the News Corp. channels and your grocery stores were the cable TV providers. In a normal market, the consumer can buy something else if the price of hamburger skyrockets, and the market adjusts itself accordingly. With the cable TV business model, we would be paying a monthly bill to Safeway or Food Lion grocery stores instead of buying each item separately.

As the cost to provide hamburger instantly doubles for these stores, our only real choice, if we don't want to pay higher monthly rates to cover the outrageous increase in hamburger, is to stop using grocery stores, butcher our own meat, and maintain a garden. Again, this is a bit impractical for many of us. If the grocery stores tell the hamburger butchers to get bent and stop providing this meat, the customer get pissed and go to another store, which inevitably will be forced into a similar dilemma when their current hamburger contract expires.

We, the consumers, have very little practical control over this type of market.

Now, I think I will have a cheeseburger for supper.

y999
@cox.net

y999 to clickie8

Anon

to clickie8
said by clickie8:

I don't get how local broadcast networks can ask to be paid for what they give away for free over the air. With the majority of the viewers coming from cable and satellite, someone has to stand up to these jackasses and say "you're lucky to be carried, get lost".

This is amounting to local broadcasters getting free use of spectrum *and* a healthy corporate welfare check from the viewers who have the audacity to purchase cable or satellite service.
FCC "must carry" rules have an "opt out" clause where if a broadcaster believes that their programming is worth it, they can opt out of the must carry rule and then they can charge cable/satellite providers to carry their programming.

O.O.
clickie8
join:2005-05-22
Monroe, MI

clickie8

Too bad the consumer lacks such a right. I'd opt out on general principle.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

The consumer has an excellent opt out option...s/he is usually unwilling to exercise it.

cheezwhiz
@verizon.net

cheezwhiz to clickie8

Anon

to clickie8
said by clickie8:

Too bad the consumer lacks such a right. I'd opt out on general principle.
It's called an HD antenna. Put one on your house, get an HD tuner and you get over the air HD, including Fox broadcast channels.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

Seems all that marketing for 'digital' and 'HD' really brainwashed quite a few. Any OTA antenna will work period, even the older ones to receive SD on SD TVs and HD on HDTVs.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to clickie8

to clickie8
said by clickie8:

I don't get how local broadcast networks can ask to be paid for what they give away for free over the air.
Because they can and the FCC rules allow it.
With the majority of the viewers coming from cable and satellite, someone has to stand up to these jackasses and say "you're lucky to be carried, get lost".
Yeah, you mean like now? Why are people complaining then?
No, it's called the cable companies having to be fair to the stations that attract most of your subscribers.

The spectrum isn't free either. The stations have to pay license fees and must carry certain types of programming such as E/I. It isn't exactly a free ride.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

And the Cable Companies network and physical plant isn't free either....
Expand your moderator at work

zoom314
join:2005-11-21
Yermo, CA

zoom314 to clickie8

to clickie8
I get all My channels out here OTA, Problem is most are via a Satellite Translator(DISH) and yep Fox and one Fox owned station are on there, The County pays DISH $3,000.00 a month for those channels too and there's No microwave backup either. One or maybe Two will be going dark I'd think on the 1st, Going to cable isn't something I can do, Nor do I want to.

fcisler
Premium Member
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY

fcisler

Premium Member

Cablevision

Cablevision has before next SUNDAY to either A) Give me some sort of refund for missing days or B) Get fox back or C) I call and cancel your stupid F*#(%)@king rip off of TV and Telco.

I'm tired of this....the consumer NEVER wins so I really don't care the outcome...i'll either continue to pay CV or i'll instead give my money to Dish/DirecTV.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 edit

Skippy25

Re: Cablevision

And you are one example of the problem. And if OTA means that much to you put up an antenna. Your PQ would be better anyway.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus to fcisler

to fcisler
Maybe you could buy a DTV antenna? I get "good enough" reception with an indoor antenna, I feel like I'd have really great TV with an outdoor antenna.

belawrence
They'll never let you in
join:2000-08-06
Santee, CA
ARRIS WBM760
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

belawrence to fcisler

to fcisler
said by fcisler:

I'm tired of this....the consumer NEVER wins so I really don't care the outcome...i'll either continue to pay CV or i'll instead give my money to Dish/DirecTV.
Fox is currently in a dispute w/DISH Network also - so far only regional sports networks are affected, but Fox is threatening to yank local programming via their O & O stations. I believe a dispute w/Directv is unlikely as NewsCorp still owns a small chunk of them.
supertbone
join:2002-04-04
Pleasant Grove, UT

supertbone

said by belawrence:

said by fcisler:

Fox is currently in a dispute w/DISH Network also - so far only regional sports networks are affected, but Fox is threatening to yank local programming via their O & O stations. I believe a dispute w/Directv is unlikely as NewsCorp still owns a small chunk of them.
I have Dish and Fox has also blocked FX and Nat Geo. Which means no Sons of Anarchy for me unless I choose to torrent it or stream it from Amazon for 2 bucks. Interesting enough, new episodes on FX used to be released on Hulu between a day or week later. Since the blockage they are now being pushed back 30 days.

They are also threatening to block the OTA channels as well.

Pau
@rr.com

Pau to fcisler

Anon

to fcisler
Dish and other carriers had similar disputes with Fox prior to this. Changing your provider is a temporary solution.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

choosing not to watch FOX anymore seems to be the only long-term solution.

But hey, there's a reason they decided to pull carriage during the football season.

Sircolby450
join:2005-11-26

Sircolby450 to fcisler

to fcisler
said by fcisler:

Cablevision has before next SUNDAY to either A) Give me some sort of refund for missing days or B) Get fox back or C) I call and cancel your stupid F*#(%)@king rip off of TV and Telco.

Don't move to Dish they are fighting with Fox too! Fox is threatening to cut Dish off on November 1st.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

said by Sircolby450:
said by fcisler:

Don't move to Dish they are fighting with Fox too! Fox is threatening to cut Dish off on November 1st.
I'd be quite interested to see how this plays out, as I imagine it could backfire on FOX to have two area distributors blacked out at once.
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to fcisler

to fcisler
said by fcisler:

You forgot:

D) Raise your rates to pay for Fox.

RTS
@nuvox.net

RTS to fcisler

Anon

to fcisler
Switching to Dish won't help they are currently fighting Fox for Fox Sports and Geographic channel.

This comes up with every carrier at least every 2-3 years.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

im glad i just watch the pay movie channels.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

2 recommendations

FFH5

Premium Member

Anyone doubt that the content companies have the power

This is just 1 more example of how the content companies hold the real power in disputes with delivery providers. I don't know if the FCC has any power over the content providers, but their threats against cable companies are not going to solve anything.

Maybe the DOJ should start looking at anti-trust issues with Hollywood more than with telcos and cable companies. And the FCC should be examining NBC more than Comcast in their merger application. Who will really gain the whip hand in that merger?

••••••
Skippy25
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

NewsCorp Crossed A Line

I think NewsCorp realized they crossed a line when they had Hulu block the Cablevision internet customers.

Since Hulu is their distributor in the case of internet access they had no right blocking anyone on the web for any reason. This includes Cablevision internet customers as the fight is not with them, it is with the Cablevision cable customers.

The fact Hulu would do this is shameful as they should of realized the exact same thing. However, being their life depends on companies like NewsCorp they start stuck and have little to no power in any of this.

•••••

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Silly

Everyone knows the fee will be passed down to the customers anyway, why doesn't Cablevision just pass on the fee and be done with it?
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Re: Silly

said by pnh102:

Everyone knows the fee will be passed down to the customers anyway, why doesn't Cablevision just pass on the fee and be done with it?
because their PR department wants them to look like the Heros when they finally give in to Fox and get the channels back. at that point the Sheeple see their Fox working again and barely notice the few extra bucks on their next bill increase.

Frank
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
somewhere

3 edits

Frank to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

because cablevision cant afford to because they actually have to compete with fios and verizon has a better deal with fox. It's already trivial to switch between providers as it is and they are already fiercely competing

example

cablevision triple play package when you switch from fios = $70 a month for 2 years.

verizon fios triple play package when you switch from cablevision = $64.99 a month for 2 years. linked here

btw, neither one of those have contracts.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

Net Neutrality: We need you

This is an excellent case for Net Neutrality.

••••••

HappyAnarchy
@iauq.com

HappyAnarchy

Anon

Can't fault Hulu

Pretty certain NewsCorp said block the content or we'll pull Fox programming.

That would be an extremely harsh blow to Hulu.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Re: Can't fault Hulu

Agreed. And it should be illegal.
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

mob (banned)

Just a little odd

That these contracts all seem to expire right around the time of major entertainment events....then a big "drama" ensues, both sides decide to bend the customer over even harder and the only thing that really happens is that it then costs more for the same shit than it did the day before.

Personally I think all sports programming costs should be shouldered by the viewers of those channels, much like HBO and Showtime. Forced bundling of channels is the same a tax that consumers have no vote on other than to completely stop using cable services all together. It's been proven that ala carte services are possible, yet cable companies refuse to innovate for fear of short term losses :\ Also I think many sports team owners refuse to go along with this idea since they get so much money from ESPN now.

••••••••

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

1 recommendation

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Gaming the system

Any network that uses public airwaves for free should not be allowed to then charge any broadcaster to retransmission

I have no problem with FOX or and other content providers making money, unlike say ESPN, they get a free ride with the inherited valuable bandwidth from legacy broadcasting

If a content provider wants to charge, fine, then make them pay fair market for the public airwaves they consume, you can't have it both ways

captnhook
join:2001-02-20
NY

captnhook

Re: Gaming the system

said by guppy_fish:

Any network that uses public airwaves for free should not be allowed to then charge any broadcaster to retransmission

I have no problem with FOX or and other content providers making money, unlike say ESPN, they get a free ride with the inherited valuable bandwidth from legacy broadcasting

If a content provider wants to charge, fine, then make them pay fair market for the public airwaves they consume, you can't have it both ways
I concur with you 100%
What even makes things worse in this particular case is that News Corp. was granted a waiver by the FCC that allows it to own and operate 2 TV stations in the NY Metro market (as well as 2 newspapers) so instead of one station being yanked we have two OTA stations gone MIA from our cable line up.

As for myself I simply hooked up my old antenna and am able to watch the football and baseball games but I feel for others whom cable is their only alternative to receiving OTA transmissions. I think the FCC at the least should force News Corp to the table with binding arbitration and at the worst rescind their TV licenses for abusing their use of the public airwaves with this extortionist BS.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

That used to be the case before the cable companies sued. They brought this upon themselves.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

$1 limit

no OTA broadcaster is going to get more than $1 per subscriber per channel because thatis all that can be absorbed by current rates without an increase.

btw, if you're one of the "cut off" you can torrent the most popular content **FREE OF COMMERCIALS, BTW**. also, if your addicted to fox 5 or my9 news broadcasts.. get a life.. all the propaganda machines of the networks STINK ON ICE! As time goes by, I'm not seeing much of a difference between any of the networks. They ALL seem owned by the biggest commercial advertisers.. not the CEO, not the shareholders and certainly not the news anchors or any part of the propaganda "news" segments. Have you EVER seen a consumer advocacy really work it's magic AGAINST any of the big advertisers on it's networks? Huh? Nope. Doesn't happen.

Viewers in a broadcast network's region who can't pick up the signal by OTA should have a fcc field engineer come out and verify if it's true... if so, they get a free subscription to streaming broadcasts of the network, uninterrupted or blacked out as some online streaming does when it's "wide open" to the public. Problem solved, and millions of dollars don't have to change hands between broadcasters and cable companies.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

Re: $1 limit

said by tmc8080:

no OTA broadcaster is going to get more than $1 per subscriber per channel because thatis all that can be absorbed by current rates without an increase.
Great idea. Now can the Government limit your salary too?
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

1 edit

jjeffeory

Re: $1 limit

Apparently they CAN do that too. And they do... It's called taxes! 8-)

...and if you were one of those CEOs a while back who got big bonuses. Yes, the gov't CAN limit salaries... 8-)

Murdoc49
Premium Member
join:2009-02-08
Manitowoc, WI

Murdoc49

Premium Member

I don't want local channels on my SAT

Maybe put that trash on a seperate tier?
Skippy25
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Re: I don't want local channels on my SAT

Until recently it was and you had to pay $5/mth to have it.

Even better, they had a OTA connection that you would use to tie the 2 together for the Guide and this would be supplied through the same cable with a diplexer.

Do they even give that choice any longer or is that $5 already built in along with the OTA channels?

I personally would take the OTA for the better picture quality. Both SAT and Cable compress the hell out of their stuff.

Murdoc49
Premium Member
join:2009-02-08
Manitowoc, WI

Murdoc49

Premium Member

Re: I don't want local channels on my SAT

I think it maybe built in as far as I know. I really can't stand local channels. Especially the advertisements. Like that irritating hupy and abrahams one that has william shatner in it.

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude

Cable should go more exclusive

For example, cablevision and comcast should just have there own channels to carry these events even use economies of scale to push companies like Fox , into more irrelevant. Cables need to get together and make it to more there advantage.

••••••

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

1 edit

RickNY

Premium Member

Internet provider doesnt necessarily mean TV provider

In this instance, just because someone was accessing the content on Hulu from Optimum Online, that does not necessarily mean the customer was a Cablevision TV subscriber. You can subscribe to Optimum Online only and continue to have DirecTV or DISH network, or even be an OTA customer. Hulu was blocking the content to Cablevision Internet subscribers as a whole, which really crossed the line.

From what I understand, the Hulu block was subsequently removed.

CableDude59
@rogers.com

CableDude59

Anon

Cablevision and FOX dispute

Cablevision should stick it to FOX, unfortunately at the behest of their customers. The amount they save in retrans fees will just offset the cost of lost subscribers who bail on them, but I don't really think they will lose too many customers over this.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

1 edit

SimbaSeven

That's freakin' dirty..

..especially when Cablevision completely takes over Bresnan here. That'd really screw me (and my wife) over. That's really jacked up.

Looks like I'll be rerouting my network through a VPN. A**holes.

EDIT: Either that or I'll be building my Multi-TB Media Server early and torrenting like hell.

zpm
join:2009-03-23
Columbus, GA

zpm

Re: That's freakin' dirty..

it be nice if every operator would drop fox news.

that would teach newscorp.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

Re: That's freakin' dirty..

said by zpm:

it be nice if every operator would drop fox news.

that would teach newscorp.
It is unlikely that a cable operator would just drop one of their most watched channels (most watched in daytime second only to nickelodeon). That would essentially be suicide.
qworster
join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA

qworster

Isn't it now obvious why we need net neutrality?

A greedy corporation can block whatever they want on the Internet to a select group of people on a specific ISP. This is BAD!

What really upsets me is that this by and large this content isn't 'private'-it's available over the air for free-so why should Fox get ANY money for it?

All Fox is doing is screwing their viewers, who largely regard THEM as the 'bad guy' in this-and rightly so!

•••
caco
Premium Member
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

caco

Premium Member

Not Seeing The Forrest From The Trees

I would be more concerned with what HULU did instead of what is going on with Fox vs Cablvision. Hulu caved in a dispute that has nothing to do with them. I know a lot of folks here love their HULU but if this is the future then you better hope your ISP isn't owned by a provider that also provides you with video services. The future is more and more of these type of disputes not less.

•••

Niarlan
Excelsior
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Manville, NJ

Niarlan

Premium Member

Hit Fox where it hurts a bit more...

Start with the affilates from NY...tell them that due to Fox pulling this kind of stunt they you will no longer watch Fox News or programing. The locals are more powerful then the network when things like this happen....just ask Jay Leno

Nia
russotto
join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ

russotto

Re: Hit Fox where it hurts a bit more...

The NY stations aren't affiliates, they're O&O.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to Niarlan

to Niarlan
said by Niarlan:

Start with the affilates from NY...tell them that due to Fox pulling this kind of stunt they you will no longer watch Fox News or programing. The locals are more powerful then the network when things like this happen....just ask Jay Leno

Nia
Wow, I don't think I could write something less informed if I tried.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

The amount that Fox wants is absurd

They want an increase? Ok, fine....double? Huh?

Cablevision fighting with Fox though is a MAJOR reason that I went to DirecTV as I had had enough fighting with Cox in my last city which fought with numerous corporations as well

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79

Re: The amount that Fox wants is absurd

Ota is free why not plug in that antenna and enjoy the play offs
page: 1 · 2 · next