dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-10-19 11:18:14: As part of an ingenious plan to block additional eyeballs from viewing their advertisements, Hulu has decided to block all versions of Google TV from reaching their content online -- be it via the new Logitech Revue, or GoogleTV-embedded televisions. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

1 recommendation

morbo

Goodbye Hulu

It's sad that the entertainment industry's hope for widespread market penetration that they control will now fail.

In the meantime, cutting the cord is looking more and more tempting.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

1 recommendation

cableties

Premium Member

He who owns...

..the content, controls the content! Or licenses it ...

Right?
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029

hmm

I find it funny that companies who are supposed to be about profit do things to make as little profit as possible. Since hulu makes money from ads arent they supposed to make it so as many people as possible see the ads?

If I were the sponsors i would drop my ads from hulu since they are doing this.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

offered consumers content they were already getting for free

More hyperbole.

Can you get 720P on regular Hulu? no. Can you get full seasons on regular Hulu? No. So for someone that is looking for HD and more than just the 5 current episodes Hulu plus cold be quite value.

xirian
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY

xirian

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

More hyperbole.

Can you get 720P on regular Hulu? no. Can you get full seasons on regular Hulu? No. So for someone that is looking for HD and more than just the 5 current episodes Hulu plus cold be quite value.
Everything that says its available in HD will only give me a max of 480p, I dont even see a 720p choice in the settings with hulu plus.
sheezyfromba
join:2002-08-03
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

sheezyfromba

Already cut the cord a while ago

It is infuriating that their is no real alternative, I do not want nor need 20 Spanish channels 15 ESPN's when all I want is maybe sci-fi, comedy central and maybe a handful of others. I do not want to pay for the rest of the crap, and their is still no IPTV competition due to monopolistic practices. Well I know some may not approve, but until they want to enable a REAL solution instead of just trying to rip off everyone, my torrents will do just fine.
wavesound
join:2002-01-24
Bolton, MA

wavesound

Joint Venture

Hulu's a joint venture between Fox, NBC and ABC.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulu

Its hard to see how hulu would be the "disrupter" described in the article when its parent companies are the broadcasters that the article's author targets... I would prefer everything open and available to all, but that just isn't the way its going to be...
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to xirian

to xirian

Re: offered consumers content they were already getting for free

said by xirian:

said by 88615298:

More hyperbole.

Everything that says its available in HD will only give me a max of 480p, I dont even see a 720p choice in the settings with hulu plus.
Sounds like an issue with you. Also it's still in beta.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties

Re: He who owns...

said by cableties:

Right?
Here are the current owners:

NBC Universal, News Corp., The Walt Disney Company, Providence Equity Partners

Since News Corp is an owner of Hulu, is it surprising that they sided with Fox over Cablevision?
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to wavesound

to wavesound

Re: Joint Venture

It seems everyone wants all their cable channels on the internet and avialable for nothing which is hardly realistic. You have to make chocies. Either pay the high prices the cable/sat companies charge or cancell and live with more limited choices. All these networks are going to go with the delivery method that makes them the best ROI. If offering stuff online ADDS to the bottom line, sure they'll offer it. If online becomes more profitable than the current methods of distribution you bet that's where they'll go to.

xirian
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY

xirian to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by xirian:

said by 88615298:

More hyperbole.

Guess it was. I had to clear my cache to fix it... kind of a weird issue.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

Disruption

I don't see where Hulu ever said that they wanted to shift viewers away from Cable.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

4 recommendations

Gbcue to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

said by 88615298:

More hyperbole.

Piracy can give me all that for free.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

I don't get it

people are seeing your ads on google TV, WHY do you even care what device they're using to view it?

SSX4life
Hello World
Premium Member
join:2004-02-13

1 edit

SSX4life to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties

Re: He who owns...

said by cableties:

Right?
Correct

But he who kills the golden goose has no right to lobby / cheat/ complain / "buy laws" / etc. as an excuse for not continuing to innovate.

Drive your customers away... smart move.

p.s. hulu is free though boxee with no issues.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

2 recommendations

dvd536 to Gbcue

Premium Member

to Gbcue

said by Gbcue:
said by 88615298:

More hyperbole.

Piracy can give me all that for free.
And NO ADS to boot!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:
said by xirian:
said by 88615298:

More hyperbole.

So we get to pay extra for a product in beta? Sounds like a bargain.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus

Hulu can do what they want

I'm not paying them $$$, they could shut their doors tomorrow and I wouldn't feel slighted. I'm grateful for all the TV shows I've caught up on

Really, Hulu hasn't prevented me from getting cable, I made that choice before I got Hulu. They HAVE prevented me from getting a Tivo or making my own DVR. If Hulu goes away, I'll probably get a DVR as a present.
innoman
-
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Seattle, WA

1 edit

innoman to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536

HELLO tvtorrents.com! All the shows I want, usually with in minutes of being aired and no commercials!

note: I am all out of invites for the next couple of months.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536

Re: I don't get it

I think it's about getting google to agre to a liecnse/repackage agreement, just like HULU has with some other outlets that use HULU content.
HULU is desperate to find a new revenue source to support new&improved content to try and be competitive with other (googTV, netflix, etc.) online sources.
The orginal "1- 15 second commerial" (later 2 or more) isn't paying the bills anymore.
I beta tested HULU in early 2007 (before it had the hulu name) and it ws originally concived as a pay-per-view move channel, later when the download code system proved unworkable first run movies were dropped and the TV/RERUN/old movie with few ads model emerged, which worked for a few years until everyone jumped on the download bandwagon. as far as ad insertion they still do a better job (ad placed were the tv show was designed to have an ad) than some of the network video sites (Comedy central is particularly annoying placing their ads, sometimes in mid sentence or clipping out part of the show for space. )

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine

Re: Disruption

said by fifty nine:

I don't see where Hulu ever said that they wanted to shift viewers away from Cable.
Agree. Other misquotes in the article that are 100% false, inaccurate, and should be fixed by Karl Bode See Profile:
said by Karl Bode :
And this is before Hulu is acquired by Comcast
Hulu can not be "acquired by Comcast", NBCU and Newscorp hold equal share (32%), Disney holds 28%, and some money tank "Providence Equity Partners" holds 8%. This is just false, incorrect, and should be corrected information in the article. Hulu ownership numbers released on Comcast filing to acquire NBCU
said by Karl Bode :
The cable and broadcast industry is absolutely begging for disruption by broadband video
What?! Who, which cable/sat/telco company is begging for disruption??? Which broadcaster or affiliate is begging for disruption??? No Karl, we are begging for disruption, not them...
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

The entertainment industry supports "Piracy"

First off I put piracy in quotes because downloading TV shows is honestly a gray area to begin with.

But really? these big entertainment firms bitch and cry about people torrenting shows and then they go and take what could be a big hit for them and cut it off. They are honestly showing how poor they are at being businessmen when they cut off another possible revenue stream of eyeballs seeing ad content.

Of course nobody has ever credited the entertainment industry for being good at handling innovation ever through their entire history. Keep in mind way way back in time they went ballistic over the Player Piano, which at its time was likely seen as cool as Hulu is to us here in the 21st century.
innoman
-
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Seattle, WA

innoman to majortom1029

Premium Member

to majortom1029

Re: hmm

so are advertisers paying per impression? I wonder how it works. Well i am curious I guess... if I really wanted to know, I could probably research it ...

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem to majortom1029

Premium Member

to majortom1029
It depends, as always, the devil is in the details...

As long as Hulu is an alternative to "didn't see it" instead of "didn't watch/record it on my local affiliate when it aired", then yes, the advertising is an increase in revenue. If you watch Hulu INSTEAD of the local affiliate, then Hulu is a loss in revenue. For now, we'll see how much longer these networks use the affiliate distribution model...

treetop1000
join:2003-11-07
Lexington, KY

treetop1000

"Hulu is dead to me. You hear that? Dead."

Some people here in the family have the opinion that Hulu just got "educated" by those IP lawyers working for the RIAA and the MPAA.
Something to the effect of "you cannot steal what is being given away for free", so stop giving it away for free."
It makes our position look ludicrous and self serving.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536

Re: I don't get it

Because if Hulu direct from the TV off the retail shelf with no computer knowledge what-so-ever crowd stops watching affiliates, ad revenue will plummet and the networks will be forced to change and adapt quickly. Hulu can kill affiliates if available to the masses (it currently is NOT available to the masses, as most people don't "want to watch TV on the little computer screen" and have no idea how to get a computer hooked up to a TV). Hulu is supposed to be a supplement to syndication revenue, not a replacement to broadcast revenue. When Hulu threatens the current distribution model, it gets knocked down.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to wavesound

to wavesound

Re: Joint Venture

The thing is on cablevision using their vod I get the episodes of abc and nbc shows so my only reason for using hulu is fox's shows.

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH
(Software) Sophos UTM Home Edition
Ruckus R310

buzz_4_20

Rock and a Hard Place

While as an end user I see many things that Hulu could do, but I also know what kind of bloodsuckers are controlling the content so all I can say is that Hulu is stuck and a pretty bad place.

Hulu is trying to make TV easier to watch for consumers.

Content providers want to preserve cable while trying to reach out using new technology. But are unwilling to RISK anything are are being controlling like an abusive spouse.

Hulu has to do what it can to please the content providers or it's got nothing to offer customers. They want to get on TVs, but they can't and keep receiving content.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd

Re: The entertainment industry supports "Piracy"

Downloading TV shows is unauthorized distribution. The broadcasters (and Hulu) have a license to send out the shows for free.
qworster
join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA

qworster

Hulu's owned by NBC, right?

Hulu's owned by NBC. right? To me, that explains it all-NBC works hard to make things fail. As an example, look at the great ratings they have (not!).
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next