dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-10-19 11:18:14: As part of an ingenious plan to block additional eyeballs from viewing their advertisements, Hulu has decided to block all versions of Google TV from reaching their content online -- be it via the new Logitech Revue, or GoogleTV-embedded televisions. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Riusaki
join:2000-09-14
Space

1 recommendation

Riusaki

Piracy and BitTorrent win again...

This is so funny how the Once again the industry is successfully driving people to piracy and I for one embrace it. The only streaming I will ever pay for is Netflix. Whatever is not on Netflix will be torrented, plain and simple.
TransitJohn
join:2009-05-08
Denver, CO

TransitJohn to markofmayhem

to markofmayhem

Re: Disruption

said by markofmayhem :
said by Karl Bode :
The cable and broadcast industry is absolutely begging for disruption by broadband video
What?! Who, which cable/sat/telco company is begging for disruption??? Which broadcaster or affiliate is begging for disruption??? No Karl, we are begging for disruption, not them...
Well, if you take the meaning of 'industry' which is synonymous with 'market' it's an accurate assessment.

Mannus
Premium Member
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN

Mannus to innoman

Premium Member

to innoman

Re: offered consumers content they were already getting for free

said by innoman:

HELLO tvtorrents.com! All the shows I want, usually with in minutes of being aired and no commercials!

note: I am all out of invites for the next couple of months.
Don't forget EZTV.it!

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to qworster

to qworster

Re: Hulu's owned by NBC, right?

said by qworster:

Hulu's owned by NBC. right? To me, that explains it all-NBC works hard to make things fail. As an example, look at the great ratings they have (not!).
Hulu is a joint venture between NBC, news corporation, abc and I think a few others.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem to TransitJohn

Premium Member

to TransitJohn

Industry and market are not synonyms....

Industry: the organized action of making of goods and services for sale;

Which organization making goods/services for sale in regards to broadcast and cable is looking for a disruption in current distro?

Market: the customers for a particular product or service

This definition of market is looking for a disruption

Marketplace and the Securities Industry are synonymous, so are we talking about cable delivery disruption or their stock? It doesn't flow with the rest of the story if we're talking about stock prices.
TheGhost
Premium Member
join:2003-01-03
Lake Forest, IL

TheGhost to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

Re: Joint Venture

said by 88615298:

It seems everyone wants all their cable channels on the internet and avialable for nothing which is hardly realistic. You have to make chocies. Either pay the high prices the cable/sat companies charge or cancell and live with more limited choices. All these networks are going to go with the delivery method that makes them the best ROI. If offering stuff online ADDS to the bottom line, sure they'll offer it. If online becomes more profitable than the current methods of distribution you bet that's where they'll go to.
The thing is, they are already there - Hulu is just deciding what type of device you can watch it on.

I wonder if this is more of a network dig at Google (wanting them to fail) vs. actually trying to "protect" content. Some stated it works with Boxee, so how would a Google browser be any different?
innoman
-
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Seattle, WA

innoman to Mannus

Premium Member

to Mannus

I've never used it... I'll have to check it out! :-D The pirate bay always comes in handy too, when you want something older that you don't want to waste your GCredits on.

gr33ddy299
@cox.net

gr33ddy299 to fifty nine

Anon

to fifty nine

Hulu (well the networks behind it) want to double dip.
They want to get paid by the comcasts, dish networks, etc. AND they want people to buy the subscription. This is the exact reason they don't want it on google tv, or any other device that is ON YOUR TV. They don't care if you give them ad dollars to watch it on your computer, or more ad dollars AND subscription dollars to watch it on your COMPUTER - they just wan't you to keep your cable/satellite feed TOO, and by restricting this way they think they can force us to do so. Which of course, will push people away more so than pull them in - to downloading, netflix, etc.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Gbcue

to Gbcue

said by Gbcue:

said by 88615298:

More hyperbole.

Can you get 720P on regular Hulu? no. Can you get full seasons on regular Hulu? No. So for someone that is looking for HD and more than just the 5 current episodes Hulu plus cold be quite value.
Piracy can give me all that for free.
Shoplifting can give me free stuff at wal-mart. Doesn't mean I should do it. I can a free TV by breaking into my neightbors house when they are on vacation. Doesn't mean I should do that either.

88615298 (banned) to TheGhost

to TheGhost

said by TheGhost:

said by 88615298:

It seems everyone wants all their cable channels on the internet and avialable for nothing which is hardly realistic. You have to make chocies. Either pay the high prices the cable/sat companies charge or cancell and live with more limited choices. All these networks are going to go with the delivery method that makes them the best ROI. If offering stuff online ADDS to the bottom line, sure they'll offer it. If online becomes more profitable than the current methods of distribution you bet that's where they'll go to.
The thing is, they are already there - Hulu is just deciding what type of device you can watch it on.

I wonder if this is more of a network dig at Google (wanting them to fail) vs. actually trying to "protect" content. Some stated it works with Boxee, so how would a Google browser be any different?
I'm pretty sure the networks make more money via cable/sat or even OTA than via Hulu at this point.

88615298 (banned) to Riusaki

to Riusaki

Re: Piracy and BitTorrent win again...

said by Riusaki:

This is so funny how the Once again the industry is successfully driving people to piracy and I for one embrace it. The only streaming I will ever pay for is Netflix. Whatever is not on Netflix will be torrented, plain and simple.
The thing is people like you will pirate until everything is 100% free which is not being realistic. People need to grow the fuck up. Hulu cold charge only $10 a year and have just ONE 15 second commerical per show and that would be too much for some people.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by Gbcue:

said by 88615298:

More hyperbole.

Can you get 720P on regular Hulu? no. Can you get full seasons on regular Hulu? No. So for someone that is looking for HD and more than just the 5 current episodes Hulu plus cold be quite value.
Piracy can give me all that for free.
Shoplifting can give me free stuff at wal-mart. Doesn't mean I should do it. I can a free TV by breaking into my neightbors house when they are on vacation. Doesn't mean I should do that either.
Shoplifting != piracy - this argument never works.

These shows are already free OTA. All that is happening is recording and replayed at a different time, like a DVR.
russotto
join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ

russotto to 88615298

to 88615298

said by 88615298:

The thing is people like you will pirate until everything is 100% free which is not being realistic. People need to grow the fuck up. Hulu cold charge only $10 a year and have just ONE 15 second commerical per show and that would be too much for some people.
TV could be 80% commercials and they'd still add product placements, insert ads onto blank spaces in live events, AND demand carriage fees, AND expect people to subscribe. In fact, they already do... so who is being unreasonable here?
TheGhost
Premium Member
join:2003-01-03
Lake Forest, IL

TheGhost to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

Never meant to imply that Hulu provided more revenue. I was trying to say it doesn't make much sense to stop someone from looking at something with one browser vs. another, if they are both showing the adds. Kind of like if they kicked someone off who used Opera, Firefox, or Safari.

Riusaki
join:2000-09-14
Space

Riusaki to 88615298

to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by Riusaki:

Why should I wait for the content providers to stop dicking around when torrenting is so simple. Piracy will live on as long as these ass hats keep pulling BS like this. Netflix are the only ones who have gotten it right and that's why they get my money. You understand now?

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

Eh, I have Hulu Plus and enjoy streaming it

off my PS3 but after a month, I am ditching it

Just not worth more than 1-2 months and the ad's are laughably long for a paying customer

ASSHAT
@myvzw.com

ASSHAT

Anon

Hulu

Thats what Napster Thought......(didn't work out so well for them).
mlundin
join:2001-03-27
Lawrence, KS

mlundin to 88615298

to 88615298

said by 88615298:

Sounds like an issue with you. Also it's still in beta.
Does that mean they're taking money that's still in beta? If so, maybe I'll sign on - I've got some here in this old box for Monopoly...
mlundin

mlundin to 88615298

to 88615298
Indeed, someday someone will eventually realize that there are those of us who would gladly pay a reasonable (read: small) fee or suffer through commercials if they'd just do a decent job providing content and concentrate on what consumers want instead of bickering about what hardware/software/data-pipeline is going to be used to access it.

WhyADuck
Premium Member
join:2003-03-05

WhyADuck to markofmayhem

Premium Member

to markofmayhem

But who needs local affiliates anyway?

I HATE local affiliates for the most part, particularly when they interrupt the network programming you want to see for some local bulletin you couldn't case less about (usually because it's for some other place than where you actually live), or splash big blocky graphics on the screen (or worse yet, put the network content in a small frame so they can display school closings until the middle of the day), or pre-empt a network or syndicated program you usually watch to bring you a special on a new addition at a local hospital, or maybe some olde phart preacher that paid for the time. I hate them because they take beautiful HD programming off the satellite and compress the crap out of it so it looks horrible, or the take the standard def version of a network so they can squeeze three or four programs onto one channel (and make them all look horrible).

There is only one thing that local affiliates do semi-well, and that is local news for the (usually major) city in which they are licensed. If you live outside the city limits you are lucky to get 30 seconds of news that applies to you. But there is no reason they could not just record that three or four times a day and put it on a video stream (many stations already put their local news online).

There are only three things that services like Boxee, Hulu, etc. don't do just as well as the local stations. One is video quality (compared to a station that doesn't compress everything as much as possible), and the online feeds keep bringing the quality up. One is live feeds (where was the coverage of the recent miner's rescue in real-time? Had to go to CNN's site in a web browser for that), and one is local news. The reason the latter is probably not up on Boxee, etc. is probably because every news station has their own format for putting their news online. I'll bet that as Boxee and similar programs/devices get more popular, they will come up with some standard method for content providers to feed content to them, and the local news stations will figure out how to use it (with local commercials included, of course). Also, there is the potential for more competition in local news, because others (such as newspapers) would be able to get in the game, and also news providers could have separate feeds for different cities (so even if your city doesn't have a TV station, you might actually get a few minutes of truly local news).

Also there should be an easy way to display text and mixed text/graphic content. For example, remember the aforementioned school closings? Why can't I create a custom feed, and with the click of a button, see a display of schools close to my zip code with their open/closed status? If I'm a parent, I only need to see the school closing information once per day, not all morning long. As for weather and other urgent alerts, I'm sure some government bureaucrat is hard at work trying to figure out some way to force those on us whether we want them or not, and eventually video devices that tie into the Internet will probably be required to pass those along (at least they'll probably pause the program before displaying the alert, unlike the local broadcasters that just walk all over whatever you're trying to watch).

Local affiliates were a necessary and useful thing... back in the 1950's and 1960's. Now they are about as useful as a candlestick telephone set. Networks are not much better; about the only thing they add nowadays is promotion of new shows so you know they are out there. There is no reason whatsoever that new series could not be released entirely online (skipping both the networks and the local affiliates), but the only problem today is that you probably would not find out about them except through word of mouth or some type of recommendation from a friend. Most of these software packages and set-top boxes are in SERIOUS need of an easy to use program guide, and program recommendation service (maybe something like Pandora, but for video clips?).

notyet321
@verizon.net

notyet321

Anon

Why bother, hulu?

Given that any PC can connect to a big screen, HD TV/monitor (like mine) without doing anything really special, I don't really see the point in hulu or their content "partners" bothering with these little blocks in the first place. But, hey, when you're stupid and wimpy, you just do what you're told.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

Problem is the TV programs that are broadcasted OTA are "free".

Fox/Hulu is driving people to pirate these shows because of Fox's dumb ass approach in handling the issue.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

1 edit

slckusr

Premium Member

HULU PLUS

Access HULU from your googleTV using our HULU PLUS service. Only 9.95 ontop of the premium your cable co is charging to have access to your googletv box.

I Personally watch repeats on HULU or when there is nothing else on my DISH.

Or i turn my TV's computer on and watch HULU on the big screen.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to 88615298

to 88615298

said by 88615298:

I don't you'd find anyone who wants their channels "for nothing".

They just don't want to pay several times for the same content, or pay for content / channels / networks that they don't watch.

Note that this doesn't mean ala carte would cost less - nor does it need to. Americans will pay more for actual or perceived quality. They will pay for choice.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

I bought Hulu Plus today and must say I'm happy thus far. Plenty of 720p video on almost all of the newer content. Even better(which is only obvious when searching for something in particular) it has whole seasons and many more episodes of a given program. To me, who can hardly get any HD where I live now and still have expensive TVs I want to enjoy, this is perfect for avoiding pirating everything I find worth watching. For those curious, it's because of LoS with the satellites. Only DirectTV and Dish will serve me and with only a couple compressed-to-hell HD channels. I can't see the other satellites. Cable around here is very fuzzy analog that reminds me of the 80s. However, I do get Verizon DSL and decent EVDO Rev A service on Verizon wireless. The 720p video has been very clean and sharp. For me, it's an answer I was in need of. Sometimes, the advantage of internet based stuff is reach. Karl's opinion is slanted on this one. I feel the extras I'm getting is worth $9.99/month. Especially since it adds many shows in HD that I would otherwise have to torrent to see in HD. Yet, he acts like Hulu is just taking peoples' money and running.
Heated Man
join:2009-06-18
Cleveland, OH

Heated Man

HAHAAHAH

HAHAHAHAHHA Glad to see all you cord cuters learning your lesson. This Hulu and all like it will fail.

Googlez
@comcast.net

Googlez to 88615298

Anon

to 88615298

Completely incorrect. Netflix streaming is booming because they get it. 8 bucks a month with no ads and people are signing up in droves. Hulu is shooting themselves in the foot by fighting the consumer. I hope hulu fails for the sack of $hit for brains who run that joke. They will be the next blockbuster.

hg
@ku.edu

hg

Anon

Licensing issues

They block hulu on mobile devices, etc. because of licensing issues. Ie. The tv shows on Hulu are only licensed for viewing on a web page, through a web browser on a traditional computer.

NJxxxJon
2 0 1 7 Mmm Here We go man!
Premium Member
join:2005-10-22

NJxxxJon

Premium Member

Ads (some you can skip)

The ads are annoying. In certain ways ...the 49 second tid bits of crap are just like watching basic cable. Some ads even go longer. Yet, it seems they want you to PAY to get RID of the ads - which people will find a way around.

skuv
@rr.com

skuv

Anon

This makes sense...

Hulu wants the "TV version" of Hulu to be Hulu Plus for $10/month.

They don't want it to be too easy to watch the free web version of Hulu on a television. They already proved this when they blocked Boxee from accessing Hulu.

This policy is nothing new. Google TV is just a new device.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next