dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-10-22 10:03:08: This week a new report from bandwidth management equipment vendor Sandvine indicated that Netflix streaming video now accounts for more than 20 percent of downstream traffic during peak times in the U.S. ..

xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

PS3/Wii effect

The recent PS3/Wii app install launch and with '1080'/5.1 probably is the issue and will likely subside once everyone goes back to normal viewing. I know I was checking it out, watching much more Netflix than normal. They also released a bunch of new titles at the time (I checked out a good amount of new NatGeo shows). I noticed rebuffering issues the first evening of the launch, but is a non-issue the last couple nights now.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

Re: PS3/Wii effect

said by xenophon:

The recent PS3/Wii app install launch and with '1080'/5.1 probably is the issue and will likely subside once everyone goes back to normal viewing. I know I was checking it out, watching much more Netflix than normal. They also released a bunch of new titles at the time (I checked out a good amount of new NatGeo shows). I noticed rebuffering issues the first evening of the launch, but is a non-issue the last couple nights now.
I agree, the new PS3 streaming (especially the NatGeo stuff) is really nice. I've been watching 3 or 4 NatGeo programs a night.
Expand your moderator at work
merc669
Premium Member
join:2000-08-19
Lexington Park, MD

merc669 to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3

Re: PS3/Wii effect

Just tried streaming on my PS3 lately with the upgrade. Nice not to have to use a CD to load. However, I am still just getting stereo and no HD. Not sure if its because I am on cable and that is a limitation. Tried a couple of different programs/movies. Zombie-land and a Nat-Geo. Both come in stereo. PS3 plays games fine in HD and Surround Sound using HDMI. Just the Netflix it appears to be an issue. Not sure if there is a setup issue or not. In any case we love Netflix especially during Halloween!

Bill...

YogiYahooeys
join:2004-08-17
Evansville, IN

YogiYahooeys

Not the first time

Interestingly enough, this was the third major downtime for Netflix and their streaming services in the past couple weeks. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the PS3 and WII udpates at all. They've just had a really unstable system recently. They really need to invest in some backup servers if they are really going to be primarily a streaming company...

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

Switched to Amazon..

I've stopped watching DVDs and cancelled my Netflix subscription. I've found that Amazon's unbox is sufficient for my needs.
NuShrike
join:2010-09-01

NuShrike

Re: Switched to Amazon..

How does that work? You pay a lot more for Unbox than for Netflix & unlimited DVDs (one at a time) per month.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

Re: Switched to Amazon..

said by NuShrike:

How does that work? You pay a lot more for Unbox than for Netflix & unlimited DVDs (one at a time) per month.
Some movies are 99 cents and $1.99. I don't watch that many movies. But I do like watching the latest movies (such as Iron Man 2). And I prefer to stream them then wait for the DVD.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

A la carte streaming?

Do they off that, or is it all subscription based? If the former, I would ocasionally use the service.

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

vpoko

Premium Member

Re: A la carte streaming?

No a la carte, subscription only, but at $7.99 a month it's very reasonable.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

said by vpoko:

No a la carte, subscription only, but at $7.99 a month it's very reasonable.
It's not bad, but we wouldn't really need it except for maybe a movie every month or two at the most. So, I'd rather pay $2.99 per shot or so.

vpoko
Premium Member
Boston, MA

vpoko

Premium Member

Amazon is pretty decent for that, or if you have an Xbox, the selection on Xbox Live isn't terrible. It'd be nice if Netflix had the option, too, though.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Thanks. I'll have to check those options out.

TJ19971
Blues fan with a camera
Premium Member
join:2003-10-11
Sioux Falls, SD

TJ19971 to vpoko

Premium Member

to vpoko
I looked around on Amazon and could not find a subscription option. I must be missing something.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I was looking for a non-subscription service, which Amazon is and vpoko pointed out.

TJ19971
Blues fan with a camera
Premium Member
join:2003-10-11
Sioux Falls, SD

TJ19971

Premium Member

Sorry I skimmed some of the comments and misread this.
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned) to 67845017

to 67845017
It's subscription based. I pay 11.99 a mo for unlimited streaming and 1 blu-ray out at a time using snail mail.
They have a pretty good selection that you can choose from to queue up the instant or dvd/blu-ray.

It's bettter than a la cart` with no commercials. You can just watch what you want to. Hrmm ultra a la cart`

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

said by gaforces:

It's subscription based. I pay 11.99 a mo for unlimited streaming and 1 blu-ray out at a time using snail mail.
They have a pretty good selection that you can choose from to queue up the instant or dvd/blu-ray.

It's bettter than a la cart` with no commercials. You can just watch what you want to. Hrmm ultra a la cart`
11.99? I think I am paying 8.99 with unlimited streaming and 1 dvd/blu-ray out.
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned)

It's 8.99 if you dont get the added $2 charge for blu-ray.
The first month was free, the 2nd month they charged me 12.03.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

said by gaforces:

It's 8.99 if you dont get the added $2 charge for blu-ray.
The first month was free, the 2nd month they charged me 12.03.
Hmmm

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
They recently announced that a streaming only plan is coming soon.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I wonder if it will have a la carte though, since they seem to be more subscription based. Hopefully it will, since the convenience factor would be pretty high.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

Hitch to MS = FAIL

Crashes are what they get for using Silverlight on probably a Windows platform. Windows is not up to the task for heavy server loads.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

Re: Hitch to MS = FAIL

You realize Silverlight is an end station plugin? They could be running the video servers on *nix. I know of no requirement for Silverlight to be on the server.

I've found Silverlight to be better than Flash - when i use Windows Media Center it seems to use a flash plugin - it behaves better on my browser on the same machine.

Then again my Roku (old model N100) spanks my PC in pretty much every application of Netflix.
chimera4
join:2009-06-09
Washington, DC

chimera4 to itguy05

to itguy05
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Netflix has been rock solid for running silverlight. They ran into some backend issues yesterday, but that has nothing to do with their choice of media player anymore than having a Verizon DNS server going down has anything to do with Safari.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Silverlight is a thin client platform, a rather excellent one at that.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to itguy05

to itguy05
nope, it can only handle events like the Olympics or other major sporting events where there could be a million people watching things, but when its streaming movies oh it cant handle the load..... please...... you have no idea how the windows streaming platform works... it's MUCH more advanced then a lot of the alternatives out there and silverlight, it just renders the output, the server itself doesnt run silverlight... it just responds to what the variable bitrate stream server is sending it
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

1 edit

1 recommendation

itguy05

The only reason the Olympics worked was because the whole shebang was run by Microsoft. We never saw how many servers handled the load, how they were configured or anything like that.

And I believe the NFL, MLB, and other sporting agencies use Flash or other forms to distribute their content. NBC is in bed with MS (Hence MSNBC) so it was only natural MS would make it work.

MS uses that same thing to sell Sharepoint - we run our website on it. Yet most Sharepoint installations are hugely cumbersome, insecure, and a mess to use.

Fact is Microsoft stuff has no place when reliability matters. You end up with way too many servers, way too many variables and less security.

Oh, and BTW: I know how it all works, thanks. I'm sure there is lots of MS code in the delivery of Netflix streaming. From the DRM to the authorization, etc. I bet it was a failure of this MS code that is the source of the issues.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

Sharepoint is a different product line made and managed by different departments and people.

Granted, it can be difficult to setup but when architected and administered correctly it can be an amazingly flexible and customizable platform. It's not the best product for everything but it's hard to find another products that can do what it does. I also didn't care for the older version much but the product has grown.

It sounds like it was miss managed at your company. I wouldn't blame MS for that and then carry over the animosity to Netflix and Silverlight.
chimera4
join:2009-06-09
Washington, DC

chimera4 to itguy05

to itguy05
It's true that we never saw how many servers took care of it. We also don't see how many servers take care of Netflix. This is because we are not the IT teams that manage these servers. Just like when building and supporting any large infrastructure project a skilled team that knows their products and goals well is vital. All your argument proves is that Microsoft can build and deploy a rock solid streaming solution using their technology. If they can do it, then it means the technology itself isn't the weak point.

All of this being said setting up and supporting sharepoint isn't easy. It's an extremely robust solution, but like all enterprise level products that means it is complicated. I wouldn't setup and configure a Oracle server to do something that Excel could accomplish, but there are some things that require an enterprise level backend.

This line is starting to blur now with the cloud based services that some of these companies are starting to offer. If anything it should be good news for you as Microsoft's Office 365 package (updated from BPOS) includes hosted sharepoint so your team will no longer need to manage the server itself.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to itguy05

to itguy05
you do realize that MSFT does not have any say so in NBC anymore and sold their stake several years ago??? The only thing NBC did was keep the the MSNBC name.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

said by hottboiinnc4:

you do realize that MSFT does not have any say so in NBC anymore and sold their stake several years ago??? The only thing NBC did was keep the the MSNBC name.
Two partnerships with the names MSNBC and msnbc.com were founded in 1996 by Microsoft and General Electric's NBC unit, which is now NBC Universal. Although Microsoft and NBC shared operations of MSNBC cable at its founding, it was announced on December 23, 2005, that NBC Universal would purchase a majority stake in the television channel, which left Microsoft with 18%. The two companies remain partners in msnbc.com. MSNBC shares the NBC logo of a rainbow peacock with its sister channels NBC, CNBC and ShopNBC. MSNBC is available in over 78 million households in the United States; and between June 2008 and May 2009, msnbc.com had the most unique visitors among global news and current events websites.[7][8]
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to itguy05

to itguy05
well it is nice to think you think they run all windows server solutions, since their caching servers all run Linux and almost all their internal distribution software is custom wrote... but lets blame it all on windows but then netflix.com runs on linux, movies.netflix.com is a linux server, widgets.netflix.com is linux, developer.netflix.com is linux... but lets just blame it all on windows

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

I thought they used limelight for caching and not their own servers.
GLX
join:2000-01-18
Hoboken, NJ

GLX to itguy05

to itguy05
100% wrong.

Augustus III
If Only Rome Could See Us Now....
join:2001-01-25
Gainesville, GA

Augustus III to itguy05

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

The only reason the Olympics worked was because the whole shebang was run by Microsoft. We never saw how many servers handled the load, how they were configured or anything like that.

And I believe the NFL, MLB, and other sporting agencies use Flash or other forms to distribute their content. NBC is in bed with MS (Hence MSNBC) so it was only natural MS would make it work.

MS uses that same thing to sell Sharepoint - we run our website on it. Yet most Sharepoint installations are hugely cumbersome, insecure, and a mess to use.

Fact is Microsoft stuff has no place when reliability matters. You end up with way too many servers, way too many variables and less security.

Oh, and BTW: I know how it all works, thanks. I'm sure there is lots of MS code in the delivery of Netflix streaming. From the DRM to the authorization, etc. I bet it was a failure of this MS code that is the source of the issues.
blah blah another raging kid on the internet pretending to be cool hating on microsoft blah blah blah

go back to 1995. that's when this got old

Anorexorcist
Premium Member
join:2005-08-21
Stamford, CT

Anorexorcist to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
LOL, itguy05 = fail. Time to brush up on IT basics.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

Netflix streaming is certainly in my future

As soon as my Roku arrives and I get it setup and working, I'll be canceling my Starz & Showtime premium channels from DirecTV. The $8.95 per month price is a hell-of-a-lot cheaper than the $25.00 a month I'm paying now.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Re: Netflix streaming is certainly in my future

I'm having the same problem... Netflix and my premium channels are doubling up on content and I'm essentially paying for the opportunity to watch the same movies on two platforms. I just don't know which one to cancel. I like the original series on HBO/Starz, but I also like the tv selection from Netflix that aren't around anymore...decisions decisions.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

It was definitely....

A fail yesterday. So slow. But when it's running, it's friggin awesome!
nickfie
join:1999-11-23
Wynnewood, PA

1 recommendation

nickfie

Netflix Runs on Amazon Infrastructure

Interesting paper regarding Netflix migration to Amazon's cloud infrastructure:

»docs.google.com/viewer?a ··· Zm&pli=1

•••

vpoko
Premium Member
Boston, MA

vpoko

Premium Member

Streaming only

It looks like Netflix's website is advertising $7.99/mo for streaming only... I thought this was only being offered in Canada at this time.

•••

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop

20% of ALL traffic?

"more than 20 percent of downstream traffic during peak time"

Maybe 20 percent of all traffic passing through sandvine devices.
EZway
join:2008-10-25
Fort Collins, CO

EZway

Re: 20% of ALL traffic?

welll, sandvine's last results claims over 200 ISP in over 80 countries representing 100's of millions of broadband subscribers...likely a representative sample.
33358088 (banned)
join:2008-09-23

33358088 (banned)

but but we must think of the children

all those pirates are using all the bandwidth and causing the fbi to stop looking for missing children and look after ip issues.....

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

Silverlight

Just a way microsoft is putting more DRM on your system!

•••
Kiwi88
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Bryant, AR

Kiwi88

Premium Member

Netflix

It's great not having to plug in a CD, so far I have not found 1080P, but then have only watched a small number of movies to date, since the change. I'm beginning to sweat that Comcast will nail my arse, with FOUR people running Netflix off one ISP account.

There is a LOT of interest in streaming with people who understand it or at least witnessed it with adequate hardware and broadband:

No friggin ads Can't be stressed enough!
• Competition is healthy, though does not seem to improve other service options....Yet.
• Watch what you want, when you want, no brainer!
• Multiple devices-PS3/Xbox/WII/Roku/Linux box

James210
@verizon.net

James210

Anon

Netflix and bandwidth caps

And how can Netflix be the future when Comcast places a monthly 250 Gb metered bandwidth cap?

MM
@shawcable.net

MM

Anon

Good stuff

Long past are the days of content being physical, it is good to see some companies adapt and thrill well others based one fail models die(IE blockbuster).

HD streaming is the best way to enjoy content, going across town and renting stuff only to have to go and return it is a fail system that has no place in the modern era.
wayne8888
join:2005-10-16
Baltimore, MD

wayne8888

Re: Good stuff

When we got our internet ready LG (Infinia 60PK750) Plasma TV, we noticed that we could choose between streaming Netflix and Vudu. Netflix already offered a $7.95 per month streaming only option with the first month free (which we opted for). We have been streaming a lot in the last week (including some high def movies). It does not seem to make a major dent in my 250 gig/month Comcast cap. Next step (with trembling hands) is to see how big a dent streaming 1080P movies to the TV using VUDU HDX option. Pricey Vudu charges like $5.99 per movie for HDX movies (1080P) compared to $4.99 for regular HD and $3.99 (I believe) for standard def movies.

Com8
@comcast.net

Com8

Anon

Netflix Use 20%

Isn't this the company that lets ISPs spy on their customers internet habits/traffic?
LaraineMae
join:2010-10-24
usa

LaraineMae

Netflix Streaming quality

I like the Netflix streaming a lot. However, I am in ASDL-land, so I have slower down/upstream rates. Everything I stream is very pixelated, resulting in poor viewing quality.
rick0204
join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204

Streaming Only Now Available

The Netflix website now has an unlimited streaming only plan for $7.99. It is not the Starz Play only plan. It is apparently only available to new customers for now. The One DVD at a time plan was raised to $9.99 a month for new customers also.