spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-10-27 14:01:49: As we noted this morning, Comcast lost 275,000 video subscribers during the third quarter. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

1 edit

Viable solutions

I don't know what other solutions there are, since even other entities (satellite tv, fios, etc) are doing the same thing. Isn't competition a good thing?

EDIT: clarity
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

Re: Viable solutions

said by Boricua:

I don't want other solutions there are, since even other entities (satellite tv, fios, etc) are doing the same thing. Isn't competition a good thing?
Most of these providers are looking to lure people into their service with low prices and then jack the prices up 6 months later. Every one of these video providers are priced similarly after their promotional pricing is over.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

PSYG91900922

@cox.net

Re: Viable solutions

Most of these providers are looking to lure people into their service with low prices and then jack the prices up 6 months later. Every one of these video providers are priced similarly after their promotional pricing is over.

Speaking of which, Dishnetwork signs you up for a great price, for the FIRST year, with a TWO year contract. So then after the first year good price expires, you're forced to stay with them for the second year, with the higher prices (same as everyone else's price). Read the fine print people --- no excuses.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx

2 recommendations

Options like what?

You still need broadband from somewhere to enjoy Cable quality entertainment. Right?

Bob

OldschoolDSL
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Indian Orchard, MA

Comcast in denial

I'll stick to my Internet (24.95), phone through VoIp.ms (only 50.00 for the year), and FREE HD TV via HD Antenna or online.

Less than 5 months left
Premium
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL
kudos:2

They learned at the feet of the masters

Cable TV has now arrived at the point where telcos found themselves ten years ago...the wireline product can no longer support absurdly high prices. Whether that is due to the economy sucking is irrelevant. They are not adapting to reality and instead are whistling past the graveyard while the grim reaper follows behind in the shadows. Trying to redefine the early evidence of a failing business model in press releases instead of addressing it head-on reveals corporate hubris, arrogance and laziness.

If they are smart they'll take a look at what happened to their buddies in the twisted-pair business and wake up. $150 a month to watch TV is absurd.
caco
Premium
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

Re: They learned at the feet of the masters

It doesn't cost you 150.00 buck to watch tv. You basic package usally cost about 70 bucks after taxes. Now if you want dvr and hd and premium channels that is when it jumps into 150.00 range.
--
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
LostInWoods

join:2004-04-14
Reviews:
·Windstream

And I'd argue that $70.00 for basic cable is absurd. It's just television. People (well, me anyway) are finding out that they really don't need all the crap on cable, and they sure don't need to drop six or seven Hamiltons a month on it.

Wake me up when you have a reasonable package for 30 bucks or less. And put E$PN into a separate sports tier where it belongs. Until then, I'm gone.
jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
...good observation!

I, however, have an HD TV. HD is a standard service for me. It shouldn't cost more. Also, I'd like to have my own recording device, sort of like a VCR, but it's not compatible with their equipment. I HAVE to get a DVR if I want to record in HD, which is a native resolution ( standard) for my television.

I understand why they all do this, but it's pretty lame.

CCarson

join:2001-07-22
Redlands, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

Put a TV tuner card in your pc, upgrade to a newish video card, and set up Windows Media Center. Presto-free digital HD and a DVR. Plus you get the capability for burning DVDs of anything you record. If you have to watch something that's not available over the air, Netflix and hulu can fill the gap.

MooreMN

@comcast.net

My PC doesn't record most Comcast content since 'xfinity'. Pretty much everything is encrypted. So I pay 15.00 per month to rent a Comcast DVR, pay for TIVO, or record nothing above channel 23.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
Better yet, don't pay for WMC, and use MythTV instead. That way, you don't have the cost of MS Windows, and enjoy gobs of other freedoms as well.

'course, the only hitch unfortunately are those dang cable boxes. With the migration to SDV and the content producers and distributors still extremely nervous about me taking my MythTV files and posting them to YouTube or something, it's unfortunate but true that I will not likely be able to buy any tuner cards which can cope with these cable system changes. I sure wish they'd wise up and realize I just want the content; I'm not looking to distribute it. I want to watch it on my system, with my programming, and my storage, on my network, with my MySQL backend...you're probably getting the picture. Using Time-Warner's (for me) DVR is total compromise to whatever THEY want. Sigh...otherwise, I have to set up IR Blasters and hope they work right.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

lgk555

@lgk.com
said by CCarson:

Put a TV tuner card in your pc, upgrade to a newish video card, and set up Windows Media Center. Presto-free digital HD and a DVR. Plus you get the capability for burning DVDs of anything you record. If you have to watch something that's not available over the air, Netflix and hulu can fill the gap.
you dont know what the heck you are talking about.. comcast scrambles 95% of their channels even local hd channels so you dont get squat this way.

CCarson

join:2001-07-22
Redlands, CA

For the record, I was talking about dropping cable and using a TV antenna. Lots of over-the-air channels are HD now.

Less than 5 months left
Premium
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL
said by caco:

It doesn't cost you 150.00 buck to watch tv. You basic package usally cost about 70 bucks after taxes. Now if you want dvr and hd and premium channels that is when it jumps into 150.00 range.
Exactly, and it's not worth it. Just try to get your $70 bucks after taxes package for anything other than locals and paid shopping channels. I know your job depends on defending cable TV operators but at least get real about what is going on.
caco
Premium
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

This is your typical channel line up for digital starter 55.00-57.00 +taxes.I excluded the local channels. Are shopping channel and local included, yes but so are a bunch of other channels. Not 150.00 and if you have more than 1 tv you can get 2 free dta. So for usually less than 70 bucks you get some good channels. Lets not make stuff up now.

USA Digital Economy No
32 Univision Expanded Basic No
33 FOX News Channel Expanded Basic No
34 E! Entertainment Television Digital Economy No
35 CNN Expanded Basic No
36 HLN Family Tier No
37 CNBC Expanded Basic No
38 The Discovery Channel Expanded Basic No
39 The Learning Channel Expanded Basic No
40 Spike TV Expanded Basic No
41 Animal Planet Digital Economy No
42 Nickelodeon Expanded Basic No
43 ABC Family Expanded Basic No
44 TV Land Expanded Basic No
45 AMC Expanded Basic No
46 TNT Expanded Basic No
47 Syfy Expanded Basic No
48 ESPN Expanded Basic No
49 ESPN2 Expanded Basic No
50 Sun Sports Expanded Basic No
51 FOX Sports Florida Expanded Basic No
52 Golf Expanded Basic No
53 Speed Channel Expanded Basic No
54 CSS Expanded Basic No
55 MTV 2 Expanded Basic No
56 VH1 Expanded Basic No
57 BET Expanded Basic No
58 MTV Expanded Basic No
59 A&E Expanded Basic No
60 Comedy Central Expanded Basic No
96 EWTN Limited Basic No
98 QVC Limited Basic No
99 Leased Access Limited Basic No
104 C-SPAN 2 Family Tier No
105 C-SPAN 3 Digital Starter No
115 BIO Digital Starter No
116 History International Digital Starter No
118 style. Digital Starter No
119 Lifetime Movie Network Digital Starter No
124 Cartoon Network Digital Starter No
128 Sprout Digital Starter No
137 Hallmark Channel Digital Starter No
146 CMT Digital Starter No
162 G4 Digital Starter No
166 FearNet On Demand On Demand Tune Ins No
185 MSNBC Digital Starter No
186 SHOPNBC Limited Basic No
192 History Digital Economy No
200 Universal Sports* Limited Basic No
201 NBC Weather* Limited Basic No
kal326

join:2005-11-08
Edgerton, KS

I pay around 45 a month to Dish on an old Bronze HD package. That includes DVR and local channel fees. It includes enough channels to be worth while. I also have the 12/1.5 Uverse for $45 a month. All in all I pay under $100 for TV and Internet. I haven't found anything that isn't a promo rate that even comes close to that.
Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04

Less than 3%

622,000 sounds like a lot, but it's less that 3% of their subscribers. 3% does not a mutiny make.
mlundin

join:2001-03-27
Lawrence, KS

1 recommendation

Re: Less than 3%

If at first you don't succeed, redefine what you did as a success...

MemphisPCGuy
Taking Care Business
Premium
join:2004-05-09
Memphis, TN
622,000 Comcast cord-cutters equals $100.7 Million per month in lost revenue based on $162.00 Month. (Internet, HDTV w/DVR HBO and Showtime, Digital Telephone)

Or $45.3 Million if they dropped down to Silver Tier Internet only.
--
Onsite Computer Support in Memphis
»www.memphispcguy.com

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by Bobcat79:

622,000 sounds like a lot, but it's less that 3% of their subscribers. 3% does not a mutiny make.
Actually 3% can be a siginifican't loss of revenue. And also that's just in one quarter. If they have a 3% loss per quarter that equals a 30% loss in 3 years a 50% loss in 6 years. At which point does it become a munity to you?
Bobcat79
Premium

That's the figure for 9 months.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

Still adds up. More than likely losses will exceed 3% per 9 months. At some point all the garbage on TV just isn't worth the price increases.
Bobcat79
Premium

I canceled my TV service over a year ago.

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

1 edit

Cost too much

They sucked me in with the teaser rate of 29.99 a mo. Right after that they changed the tiers so the channels I liked were on a more expensive tier so it went to 45.XX a mo.

Then I'm enjoying my cable tv a little less because of price hike and whammo, the bill jumps to 71.XX. I call them up and try to get a lower price but was denied. 3 mo later I cancelled.

I'm happy with OTA HD and Netflix now, total cost = 12.01 a mo.

I expect comcast will still do well without my subscription and others that wont pay thier outrageous prices, they will only make 40 billion instead of 50 billion.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

Re: Cost too much

I can't stand having to pay for large packages of channels I will never watch. They need the a la carte options now to survive, and embrace being a dumb pipe provider. With the majority of the same popular programming online for free with the very same commercials the studios are basically taking the power away from the providers. The studios make the ad revenue now, and the providers are the ones loosing ground.

When I had ComCrap I only had the $10 local only since my reception sucked, and my internet wasn't very fast. I have faster internet now, not with ComCrap, and I do have decent ota, however I'd rather watch what I want on my own schedule online.
--
My hourly rates:
$25 per hour.
$35 per hour if you want to watch.
$45 per hour if you want to help.
$75 per hour if you tried to fix it, and failed.
When the rich wage war it's the poor who die.

wcweaver
Premium
join:2002-02-22
Fort Myers, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

False numbers

Comcast is not being totally honest in the number of cable TV subscribers they actually have. They count me as a cable TV subscriber even though I never use their cable.

I do, however, use Comcast Internet. Their pricing structure is rigged so that Internet or Internet with very basic cable costs the same.

Internet only, about $60. Internet with very basic cable $42. Internet with very basic cable $60.

So, even though I never use the cable I am counted as a cable subscriber. I use off the air HD and Dish Network. I would need another cable to watch the cable which I have no reason to do. I could not even begin to guess how many customers are in the same position as me.

And if Comcast thinks their price is not the reason I don't use them for all my TV service, well to put it gently they have their head in the sand. It would cost me about $50 a month more from Comcast to get what I get from Dish.

And as an aside, the Comcast DVR can't touch the Dish VIP722 DVR which will record up to three channels at once and let me watch a pre-recorded show at the same time. I have two of them and Comcast can't compete with that.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

Re: False numbers

said by wcweaver:

Comcast is not being totally honest in the number of cable TV subscribers they actually have. They count me as a cable TV subscriber even though I never use their cable.
This is basically a big fat lie to their advertisers, saying they have x amount of eyeballs in order to inflate their prices for showing ads. I guess they learned that if their subscribers, the FCC and Wall Street will swallow their lies, so will advertisers.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Not cord cutting; but TV video cutting

»files.shareholder.com/downloads/···6.10.pdf

Comcast video revenue continues to rise, but it is based on upselling basic video subscribers on more costly digital & premium tiers and options like DVRs. Continuing loss of the basic video customers WILL in the future cut in to that revenue rise. And this isn't some short term thing like Comcast says. It has been a VERY steady loss over the last 3 yrs as can be seen in their chart above.

But as people drop video subscriptions in the future to get their TV/Video from the internet, Comcast will still get that traffic from their Internet subscribers. And guess what folks, revenue losses on the TV side will be made up by RAISING PRICES for internet access. Either thru overage fees for exceeding caps or by going to a pay per byte system.
--
Take poll on how you will vote on Nov 2nd
kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

Re: Not cord cutting; but TV video cutting

said by FFH5:

.....revenue losses on the TV side will be made up by RAISING PRICES for internet access.....
Maybe, but maybe not. It would be hard to justify as access costs continue to fall. Regardless, Comcast has set themselves up well, leaving them plenty of room to navigate.

Margins on all their services is still very high, and they could (as they all will IMO) save some dimes per subscriber by dropping channels. Ignoring the NBC merger, Comcast's Sports Net channels are successful and a major deal or two away from creating real competition and a lot of headaches for ESPN and FOX Sports in the major markets.
--
Jeff Howe
Jeff's Blog - »www.ostjournal.net

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK
I never had anything more than basic cable included with my condo. Never upgraded. Been streaming Hulu when most did not know about it.....among others.
Have not paid for long distance since the late 80s because of Internet phone.

Some new technology will come along. In the mean time people will cling on to those expensive plans for a long while.
Will always be people like this.
Most are slow to catch on and adapt.

And some people are strange to me. If I told some of my friends that they could stream most of what they watch on tv free they would still continue paying $150/month for cable/satellite.
It has to be a perfect picture you know.....be able to count tv star nose hairs or whatnot.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

•••

castsucks

@sbcglobal.net

comcast will lose alot more if CSN phlly goes to sat tv!

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ

Re: comcast will lose alot more if CSN phlly goes to sat tv!

said by castsucks :

That's about the only thing that keeps me with them.

Murdoc
Premium
join:2009-02-08
Manitowoc, WI

dahh...really!?

Change it from comcast to exspensivecast. Its nice to see its finally catching up.
Change the penalty fee for not having tv service from 15 to 10 and I will come back for internet service.
ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

One-box soultion

If someone wanted to make a lot of money, they'd but together a box that has an OTA tuner, Boxee, Netflix, an open IPTV platform, and a DVR, all working together. Build that, sell it cheap, and people will be beating down your door.

I firmly believe that the main thing keeping people on cable is the lack of a simple, comprehensive alternative that non-geeks can get and set up on their own.

•••
chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA

I think ALL (most at least) cable providers did

raise rates twice a year during these hard times. I had RCN for a while and they raised fees in the beginning of this year. I look at their website and they still don't provide pricing for DOCSIS 3.0 on their website for Chicago, even though I remember they upgraded the node I was connected to (at Hancock tower).

Carl LaFong

@loeb.com

It's a number of factors....

Whatever you call it. I'm a cord cutter.

Set up OTA as insurance against cable failure (happened last earthquake for a few days). Discovered that the signal was much cleaner - so it's a picture quality issue.

Got a roku box and found that I was watching Netflix much more than cable channels - so it's an alternative source issue.

Content on cable channels gradually got dumbed down - The Learning Channel is now a multiple birth reality show channel. Arts & Entertainment is Gene Simmons. There's no M in MTV any longer. - so it's a quality issue.

Had to contact customer service for a few questions. Surley CSR's who gave wrong answers and were no help at all - so it's a customer service issue.

Got my bill on a monthly basis and realized that I'm not really using or enjoying a service I pay for - so it's an economic issue.

Catagorize me however you wish, but I call myself a cord cutter
clickie8

join:2005-05-22
Monroe, MI

Cutting the Cord

Maybe the question needs to be what are the other forms of defection. Are people cutting TV and opting to stay with just internet and phone, or are people cutting back on the service tiers for TV.

Even if there isn't an epidemic of cord cutting, there's a growing consumer backlash against constant rate hikes by programmers and the padding of bills for boxes.

It is quite possible that Comcast doesn't really care about the TV defections, they'll just offset the losses by increasing broadband and phone fees.
travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM

Craig Moffett Weighs In

BBReports favorite Wall Street analyst weighs in and claims they are losing the dogfood crowd and not the techies or financially astute:

quote:
“The customers they are losing tend to be in the bottom half of the economy — a lot of them appear to be struggling to make ends meet,” said Craig Moffett, an analyst at Bernstein, who has written recently about how the increase in the number of Americans under the poverty line has impacted the media industry.

He said the media industry has failed in providing lower cost cable packages — the lower tier of services starts at roughly $60, he said — because the owners of cable channels insist on full distribution, rather than allowing customers to pick and choose channels, and seek ever-increasing prices.

Mr. Moffett said the image of the cord-cutter has been a “cutting edge technologist” who prefers to bypass cable to watch programming on their computers and on an every-proliferating array of devices, such as tablets. “The reality is it’s someone whose 40 years old and poor and settling for a dog’s breakfast of Netflix and short-form video.”

He added, “the image that people are cutting the cord because they like what’s on the Internet better is giving way to a much more realistic view that what they find on the Internet is marginally good enough when you’re making a choice between a full-service cable package and a third meal on the table.”
Full article here although you may need to go through Google to see the whole thing: »www.nytimes.com/2010/10/28/busin···rc=busln

••••

COMMAN
Plug Me In

join:2000-07-17
Mount Juliet, TN

Get A Clue......or DIE!

Hey Cableco's and Telco's -
I can get my phone service from several competitive providers,
I can get my video content from several competitive providers -

either provide a dumb pipe at a reasonable cost, or start drawing up your bankruptcy papers.......

we will find a way to connect without you!
--
Broadcasting TO the people, FOR the people, BY the people - INTERNET RADIO!

justthefacts

@comcast.net

Another Bad DSLR News Report

I wish the people writing these news stories would use all the facts.

Comcast did loose 275,000 basic video customers the third quarter but they gained 219,000 digital video customers so the net loss was only 56,000. The digital customers bring in more money than basic customers so they are still better off.

Year to date they have lost 622,000 basic video customers but they gained 1,041,000 digital video customers for a net gain of 419,000.

••••

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Metered broadband is on the way

"The endless parade of rate hikes for bundles of unwatched channels is not sustainable in the age of broadband."

That's the key. They may no longer be able to raise TV rates, but broadband rates will rise to offset those losses. Isn't Netflix already occupying 25% of internet traffic? That will only increase, as will our internet rates.

•••
ebubman

join:2002-01-17
Mechanicsburg, PA

1 edit

buh-bye comcast

on the bi-annual rate hike thing: for 20 or so years we had comcast. we moved & in our new home we have verizon fios which offers: 1)faster internet service 2)more hd channels w/ a far more user-friendly interface 3)phone service (yawn) FOR LESS MONEY THAN COMCAST! interestingly enough, when we were setting up the move/utilities, the call center staff at comcast didn't even take a swing at retaining our business (aka revenue) at our new home. it was that bored generation x-er thing: "oh, like, you want to cancel? when do you want it turned off?"

this would be the age old actions have consequences thing: biannual rate hikes + "like" disinterested customer service = we have verizon fios.

ctceo
Premium
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN
Reviews:
·Virgin Mobile Br..

Non-Complacence

I guess people truly either:

A)Don't have the money they used to (Worth Segregation)
B)Don't want to pay for commercials (Forced Exposure)
C)Don't want to pay for shit programming (Taking it up the...)
D)Have found cheaper or free alternatives (That's my Boy/Girl...)
E)Don't give a shit (Whatever makes you happy I say...)
F)Some or All of the above ('nuf said)

Anymore.
--
»were.boldlygoingnowhere.org if we don't change out ways!
chewch99

join:2008-04-20
united state

Re: Non-Complacence

People like Comcast TV service. They have good channels, the ON Demand is great. The price sucks though. While every other industry is lowering the price in America (food/beverage, Auto, Airlines, etc) we have companies like Comcast raising the price twice a year.

People will cancel cable and keeping internet for downloading torrents and Netflix. The Gouging is over and unless Cable/SAT providers realize this they will be losing more and more customers. For those that don't completely cancel the cable all together, the good majority of customers are now jumping from company to company for promotions. It will get worse and worse for them as younger, more tech savy people who grew up using the internet know how to access content for free. The problem is all the major providers are corporations. They can't lower prices and say we will have to survive on making less money. They constantly are pushing for more profit year after year for stock holders or the executives will lose their jobs. How do you increase profits other than raising prices? It really is vicious cycle.

The only thing that is going to save the pay TV industry is coming up with reasonably priced packages where people can pick what channels they want. I would be just fine with Locals, ESPN, CSN, SCIFI, FX, COM CENT, HIST, and DISCOVERY. IF I could pick those channels and pay a flat rate of about 25-30 a month regular price I"d have no problem. Why these companies think they can get away with charging double/triple that price for channels people don't want is beyond me. It seems by the cancel rate the companies are beginning to understand that to.