dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-10-28 11:01:58: Sanford Bernstein analyst Craig Moffett is an easy quote machine for telecom journalists looking for quick sound bites, his name popping up about fifty times a week across various outlets. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
MrHappy316
Wish I had my tank
Premium Member
join:2003-01-02
Columbia, SC

1 edit

MrHappy316

Premium Member

Lately Last I checked they the ones cord cutting

With the latest batch of disagreements with Fox and Dish Network / Cablevision, it seems the Cable and Sat companies are the ones cord cutting.
bigpapae35
join:2002-10-25
New York, NY

bigpapae35

Moffet is an imbecile

real imbecile

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Re: Moffet is an imbecile

said by bigpapae35:

real imbecile
Certainly on this one.
backness
join:2005-07-08
K2P OW2

backness

Re: Moffet is an imbecile

Especially when it can be easily verified using basic statistics, the pool of subscribers and Sandvine

Take the pool of users who have reduced services. check to see if their video consumption goes up and their use of webstreams.

Repeat as needed.

Staplegun
join:2005-04-20
Flower Mound, TX

Staplegun to Camelot One

to Camelot One
No, Moffet is an imbecile period.
margaf
join:2000-12-22
Las Vegas, NV

margaf to bigpapae35

to bigpapae35
Im pretty sure he just throws darts at a wall to pick the inane things he sometimes says.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

Mr Matt

No hope without regulation!

Netflix might as well forget streaming their movies to customers. Cable Broadband providers will impose pricing penalties wherever they can in order to protect their pay television revenue and avoid the cost of upgrading their networks. Unless the government regulates pricing and/or forces the incumbent ISP's to open up the last mile from their headends or central offices to customers premises, for other ISP's the situation is hopeless.
QLR
join:2009-06-23
Tallahassee, FL

QLR

Re: No hope without regulation!

In the world of Comcast, it's $15 additional if you have internet with no other service. In my area, it is a wash if I got limited basic after the junk is added to the $12 price.

QuakeFrag
Premium Member
join:2003-06-13
NH

QuakeFrag

Premium Member

said by QLR:

In the world of Comcast, it's $15 additional if you have internet with no other service. In my area, it is a wash if I got limited basic after the junk is added to the $12 price.
I currently pay ~$3/mo more just to get the basic cable. After removing all duplicate channels and ones I don't want I have 11 HD channels (since these are unencrypted I can use TVs internal tuner). I'll pay the $3 just to get some channels, especially since OTA is useless in my neck of the woods.
QLR
Tallahassee, FL

QLR

I hear you on that... OTA is useless in my apartment so basic was a no brainer. Now, they are rolling out the all digital cable in my area, slowly. So I wanted a few more channels and HD, I bit the bullet and got digital economy and HD.

QuakeFrag
Premium Member
join:2003-06-13
NH

QuakeFrag

Premium Member

I have enough remotes as-is, I have zero desire for a Comcast remote to use their box. If I could watch extended basic cable through my TV's tuner I would consider upgrading. I'm not paying more for TV channels, a remote rental, and a box rental. And I'm cheap, so I wouldn't want to pay the premium for useless channels I don't watch.
QLR
Tallahassee, FL

QLR

I don't blame you... luckily I have caught a few breaks for now... if it got too hairy, I have no qualms going back to the $12 cable. I wanted to see some news channels, so I am happy lol. I still look at mostly local stations for programming.
thor793
join:2005-09-10
Schaumburg, IL

thor793 to QuakeFrag

to QuakeFrag
Those channels you get in the basic package are available via ClearQAM anyway. If you have your net connection hooked up you still get them in HD as well as a few others in SD.

This is what I do. I was trying to use OTA but could only get a couple of channels OTA. Then I discovered ClearQAM, and have been using it ever since. Most TV's these days will receive these channels since they are unencrypted. All I pay for is my Comcast HSI connection, nothing more.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

said by thor793:

Those channels you get in the basic package are available via ClearQAM anyway. If you have your net connection hooked up you still get them in HD as well as a few others in SD.
Not up here in the Great White North. All the cable providers encrypt ALL their channels, even the locals.

Thanks goodness OTA is so good in my area: 22 channels of digital goodness.
d1gw33d
join:2009-06-20
Clovis, CA

d1gw33d to QLR

to QLR
said by QLR:

Yeah I cancelled triple play and went with the 50/10 Mbps service. It was $114.99 w/o any TV service or $99.99 with at least basic for $19.99. So for $5 I still get my locals... which I never watch unless some local tragedy is taking place.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

Netflix might as well forget streaming their movies to customers. Cable Broadband providers will impose pricing penalties wherever they can in order to protect their pay television revenue and avoid the cost of upgrading their networks. Unless the government regulates pricing and/or forces the incumbent ISP's to open up the last mile from their headends or central offices to customers premises, for other ISP's the situation is hopeless.
Charter charges $10 extra if you don't have TV, but their lowest TV package is $30.

ReZLa
@comcast.net

ReZLa to Mr Matt

Anon

to Mr Matt
NetFlix is the Vonage of Video, totally dependance on the content providers. If (content providers) they say "game over" it is game over. If they say jump, Nexflix says how high (increase of content fees that will decrease Nexflix's profit). The real power are the companies that control production and distribution like Time Warner, Comcast and such. Look what is happening with Google's TV being blocked by content providers. Apple will experience the same blocked wall. Netflix will be brought out by one of these content or distribution comapnies sooner than later because they will not survive long enough (like Vonage losing when the "content providers" decided to have their own VOIP services)

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

1 edit

1 recommendation

cowboyro

Premium Member

Lost customers != cord cutters

Some customers may be just switching providers and not "cutting cords"... food for thought.
It would be interesting to show overall industry statistics when talking about "cord cutters" - I am willing to bet that the vast majority are just switching providers. Hell FIOS added some 200k new customers in Q3 and Uverse saw some 230k new customers... where did they come from???
While I think Moffet is just a puppet, he may be just right on this one...
45071419 (banned)
join:2006-07-30

45071419 (banned)

Moffett

LoL, this guy again. It's still a shame that our financial system is based on emotion.
56403739 (banned)
Less than 5 months left
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL

56403739 (banned)

Re: Moffett

said by 45071419:

LoL, this guy again. It's still a shame that our financial system is based on deception.
There, fixed it for you.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

1 edit

newview

Premium Member

. . . a "Dog's Breakfast"?

Is this guy watching too much Hell's Kitchen?
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND

travelguy

Re: . . . a "Dog's Breakfast"?

Nah... You're thinking of "dogsbody" - British slang for the lowest level person who does the crap work.
banner
Premium Member
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA

banner

Premium Member

I know people who are

My friends who cut the cord brag to me about it all the time. I feel bad paying $90 a month for HDTV & DVR, but at least it looks good.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79

Premium Member

Maximizing revenue

Losing customers because of high prices is not necessarily bad for the cable companies. Higher rates can result in higher revenues even if some people cut the cord.

The airlines do the same thing -- Adjust prices to maximize revenue, not to maximum the number of passengers.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 recommendation

Karl Bode

News Guy

Re: Maximizing revenue

Yep. Comcast tried to maximize the total number of passengers and wound up with a customer support nightmare from growing too fast. Now they're trying to cash in on the most expensive customers (average video Comcast customer now pays 10% more: $130 a month).

Still, that doesn't mean they're not ignoring a new trend caused by their own bi-annual rate hikes in order to keep stocks stable.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND

travelguy to Bobcat79

to Bobcat79
It doesn't maximize your total revenue, but it does make your average revenue go up, which in turn makes your business look more profitable on a per customer basis.
caco
Premium Member
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

caco

Premium Member

What is fascination with cord cutters?

You either pay for video service from sat/cable/fiber or you will pay for video services thru a data provider. Does it really make a difference? This constant harping about cord cutters is not going to make a difference either way.

You OTA folks better not get to uppity because more and more programing is jumping off locals to cable and sat and you will get stuck watching reruns and infomercials soon enough.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

Re: What is fascination with cord cutters?

i dont watch either. suggest you do the same. its a whole different world full of people...

Karl Bode
News Guy

1 recommendation

Karl Bode

News Guy

I hear books are cool.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

books are even better!
caco
Premium Member
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

caco to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode
Do you get your Dallas Cowbow fix from a book? I wouldn' want to watch them on tv either.

Karl Bode
News Guy

1 recommendation

Karl Bode

News Guy

I'm clearly not missing much, am I?
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

1 recommendation

gaforces (banned) to caco

to caco
It makes a difference having to pay outrageous cable prices instead of using free OTA and an internet video provider.

The advantage of netflix is you can queue up a whole television series or movies and watch when you want to with no commercials. If I want to watch reruns I can, or not.

As a consumer, I dont like having channels, commercials, or anything shoved into my brain.

Why would I watch infomercials if I had a choice?

Cord cutting gives you freedom to choose what you want to watch and when.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Gary, Ziggy, Max.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

said by gaforces:

As a consumer, I dont like having channels, commercials, or anything shoved into my brain.
As a consumer, I have no issues with commercials, but I DO have an issue paying to see those commercials!!

If I am paying for cable access, they should drop the commercials, or offer me the cable service for free, with the commercials..

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

Majestik to caco

Premium Member

to caco
said by caco:

You either pay for video service from sat/cable/fiber or you will pay for video services thru a data provider. Does it really make a difference? This constant harping about cord cutters is not going to make a difference either way.

You OTA folks better not get to uppity because more and more programing is jumping off locals to cable and sat and you will get stuck watching reruns and infomercials soon enough.
Makes a big difference for me. When you add up all the cost.

Heard someone say the same thing years ago. Still see the same programming here. My neighbor even has his OTA antenna connected to his Slingbox.

I think people with cable/sat are the ones stuck with reruns and info commercials and pay up to $200/mo for it.
Which is one of the reason I just stay with the basic cable that came with my condo.
I'll stick with $10/mo for ala carte tv.
AnonShawUser
join:2006-06-17
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

AnonShawUser

Cut it over 2 years ago

I cut the cord over 2 years ago, and enjoy a greater variety of programming than I would have had on an actual television. And I'm not exactly "poor" or eating "the dog's breakfast." Household income is 85k/year, in Canada.

Anon6
@comcast.net

Anon6

Anon

lol

Stop raising the prices 3 times a month and people won't leave.

megarock
join:2001-06-28
Fenton, MO

1 recommendation

megarock

I got scissors....

I'm poor but could still afford cable if there was any value in it. I'm just not willing to pay 54.99 a month for BASIC cable with two channels I find any interest in.

Instead I put up a TV antenna for local HD channels and pull the rest through Netflix, catch NFL on Justin.TV and what little I actually watched on cable I can find online with little to no effort.

A-la-carte programming is the way to go if the operators want to keep from losing subscribers. No one wants to pay for 70 channels they will likely never watch for three channels they will. There's no value in it.

It's also getting absurd when FREE OVER THE AIR TV stations are now demanding rebroadcast payments from operators. Sad thing is whenever a blockage (such as the current FOX deal) I just don't watch FOX. Their commercial advertisers lose a viewer as does their local TV station which is an affiliate. But keep demanding payment for something I can get for free and you won't see me around.

Dragasoni
We're All Mad Here
Premium Member
join:2001-12-14
Palm Bay, FL

Dragasoni

Premium Member

Re: I got scissors....

said by megarock:

I'm poor but could still afford cable if there was any value in it. I'm just not willing to pay 54.99 a month for BASIC cable with two channels I find any interest in.

Instead I put up a TV antenna for local HD channels and pull the rest through Netflix, catch NFL on Justin.TV and what little I actually watched on cable I can find online with little to no effort.

A-la-carte programming is the way to go if the operators want to keep from losing subscribers. No one wants to pay for 70 channels they will likely never watch for three channels they will. There's no value in it.

It's also getting absurd when FREE OVER THE AIR TV stations are now demanding rebroadcast payments from operators. Sad thing is whenever a blockage (such as the current FOX deal) I just don't watch FOX. Their commercial advertisers lose a viewer as does their local TV station which is an affiliate. But keep demanding payment for something I can get for free and you won't see me around.
I couldn't have said it better! Basic cable is $66.99 a month here, plus the DVR, it came to $85 with taxes and fees. Not worth it at all!

The only reason I allowed it was because the neighbors had a wide open WiFi that we used since March. They moved out last month, so I got a cable modem and cancelled everything else. It would have been $106 a month for all that, so we save about $61 a month. And no, I don't eat dog food for breakfast

Now our bill is $44.95, and we watch everything online for free. I never wanted the TV in the first place, but the roommate and my wife had to have it. I saw no point in paying for something I can get online for free, but whatever.

They haven't put a trap on my line yet, so we do have free basic cable. I don't expect that to last too much longer though.

-Dragasoni-
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Look at it this way

I'm seriously thinking about dumping cable and going OTA, and I look at it this way. You can easily pay $75 a month for digital cable, DVR, and HD. That adds up to $900 a year, and that's quite a lot of money, enough to pay for a vacation or to knock a chunk out of the mortgage payment. We really are talking about serious money here.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

Cutting the cord costs more $$$

Ran the #'s and for us cutting the cord would cost more $$.

1. Our Internet would go up $30/mo (We've got FIOS Double Play)
2. Wife and I would have to buy her shows for $0.99 a piece or hope we can find them online.
3. No DVR so we would have to watch commercials.
4. I'd need an Apple TV or Logitech Revue or a Mac Mini hooked up to our TV for both of us to watch.

It's too much trouble to do it. Better to pay Verizon the $129/mo for a DVR, another HD Box, a SD box, and 25/15 Internet.

eyetack
join:2002-09-05
Leicester, MA

eyetack

Re: Cutting the cord costs more $$$

The Apple TV isn't so bad. The newest generation ones are $99.

Anything you buy is yours ... and depending on who you talk to, it's probably got one of the best Netflix interfaces so far implemented.

Most of what my 4yo watches we have downloaded on to the ATV, and the cost per episode is well under a buck at this point.

odeonkreel
Searching for my lost shaker of salt
Premium Member
join:2000-10-31
Naples, FL

odeonkreel

Premium Member

I am cord cutter

I am a cord cutter.
Comcast TV service was too expensive. I can get the same channels I want to watch for half the price on DISH.
Wake up cable companies. Your prices are too high and we're not going to take it anymore.
sparc
join:2006-05-06

sparc

Re: I am cord cutter

Dish has been regularly raising prices. Plus they have content providers fighting tooth and nail to squeeze more money out of them.

Dish's perceived cheapness won't last forever. Maybe you'll be a true cord cutter then?

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to odeonkreel

Premium Member

to odeonkreel
said by odeonkreel:

I am a cord cutter.
Comcast TV service was too expensive. I can get the same channels I want to watch for half the price on DISH.
Wake up cable companies. Your prices are too high and we're not going to take it anymore.
If you switched to DISH you are not a "cord cutter" in the true meaning, you just switched providers.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

1 edit

fifty nine

High prices

", they're arguing these customers don't matter because they're dropping TV service due to high prices -- not Internet video. "

Actually it's not one OR the other, it's both.

A few people are cutting the cord to reduce their TV bill, but only because the internet video option is available for cheap or free. But make no mistake, this is not about wanting to be part of some "revolution." It's about saving a few bucks, plain and simple.

And it's cheap or free for now anyway. If everyone cuts the cord, the price will go back up to the cable TV prices we pay today. Probably more in fact since internet streaming is far more inefficient than cable for video distribution.

••••••••

Sr Tech
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Meriden, CT

Sr Tech

Premium Member

Did more that cut the cord

Actually went back to over the air digital. Between that and Netflix thats all I need for TV. Saved my self a ton of money, actually enough that it covers the cost of my car insurance!

PToN
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

I am cord cutter

I recently cut my cord and have Netflix on the PS3 and i pirate shows off the internet.

$40 for internet, $9 for netflix = $50 a month to watch the shows i actually watch.
sparc
join:2006-05-06

sparc

verizon isn't the best comparison here...

"In Verizon's case, FiOS investment is not only helping them weather the recession, it has put them in the position to be competitive for the next decade. "

I wonder if Karl knows that Verizon stopped deployment of FIOS in new areas with no sign of this changing any time soon. Perhaps Karl meant two or three decades from now?

Karl Bode
News Guy

Karl Bode

News Guy

Re: verizon isn't the best comparison here...

Yeah, we were actually the first to report that freeze.

After Frontier sale, FiOS now covers 60% of Verizon's network. Some of those remaining rural markets will get LTE, though yeah -- there will be a lot of un-served customers. But they did at least spend $24 billion to get their major markets upgraded, and that will keep them competitive for the next decade in most markets.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude

Premium Member

Dog's Breakfast

Who the hell feeds their dog breakfast? Mine parks himself under the table and hopes I drop something.
page: 1 · 2 · next