spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-10-29 13:31:09: Buried in what occasionally reads like a love letter to Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg, Fortune is the latest to proclaim that the iPhone is headed for Verizon, despite Seidenberg himself all but shooting down the possibility last month. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

Will AT&T now get serious about bundling discounts?

AT&T's two options for wireless are a separate account for $40 a month, or bundled with UVerse etc. for $40 a month. What a deal.

I probably wouldn't switch to Verizon unless there's a better price. AT&T coverage is good where I live, but Verizon's is probably just as good. In this respect, having no loyalty is its own reward.

rockhounds_5
Premium
join:2004-07-29
Lewisville, TX

All aquiver

What an original product!

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

Wait for it.....

I can hear all the complaints now about the overloaded network.

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL
reply to ArgMeMatey

Re: Will AT&T now get serious about bundling discounts?

If people switch to Verizon for the iPhone, that means less traffic congestion for me.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:5

How was it "confirmed"?

Maybe I missed it but until the official announcement from VZ or Apple how is this confirmed?

Rob
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Phil

said by Phil:

If people switch to Verizon for the iPhone, that means less traffic congestion for me.
Exactly. And I can assure everyone that VZW's network is not prepared for the influx of iPhones that will hammer their network.

Call it a growing pain..
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Jim Kirk
Premium
join:2005-12-09
Westerville, OH

1 edit
said by Rob:

said by Phil:

Exactly. And I can assure everyone that VZW's network is not prepared for the influx of iPhones that will hammer their network.

Call it a growing pain..
Do you work for Verizon in an engineering capacity?

Rob
Premium
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Jim Kirk:

said by Rob:

said by Phil:

Call it a growing pain..
Do you work for Verizon?
One doesn't need to work for VZW to know that their network isn't prepared to handle the iPhone.
--

Jim Kirk
Premium
join:2005-12-09
Westerville, OH
said by Rob:

One doesn't need to work for VZW to know that their network isn't prepared to handle the iPhone.
So... you can't "assure" anything.

Rob
Premium
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Jim Kirk:

said by Rob:

Just because I don't work there doesn't mean I don't know people who do.

But.. let's just wait and see.

They have a solid network. But it's seen nothing yet.
--

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

AWS iPhone

Apparently this is in the works as well, but doesn't get nearly the amount of press the Verizon iPhone.

The AWS iPhone would work on T-Mobile's 3G (possibly HSPA+ with up to 42mbps download) and Canada's WIND AWS network.
--
My Blog 2.0

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
reply to Rob

said by Rob:

said by Jim Kirk:

said by Rob:

Just because I don't work there doesn't mean I don't know people who do.

But.. let's just wait and see.

They have a solid network. But it's seen nothing yet.
Exactly, I think the same thing would happen to VZ that happened to AT&T unless VZ knew this was coming and beefed it up substantially which I doubt.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1
reply to moonpuppy

Re: Wait for it.....

In some areas, it's ALREADY begun slowing down under the weight of the Droids. Throw in the iPhone and Verizon's already slower network (Rev B maxes out at less than half of what HSDPA can do) will make ATT look great.

That many smartphones would wreak havoc on any network. The best thing to come from the iPhone spreading to other carriers would be that the burden would be spread out, meaning ATT's network can perform much better for the users who leave for Verizon's slower, but larger network.
--
"What makes us omniscient? Have we a record of omniscience? ...If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."
-United States Secretary of Defense (1961-1968) Robert S. McNamara

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Gbcue

Re: AWS iPhone

The only time an AWS iPhone will come out is when Apple makes an LTE iPhone which runs on 700/1700.

Videotron and Wind are tiny, and T-Mobile is the smallest in the US. I'd be surprised if Apple made a UMTS AWS phone.

gball
Master Yoda
Premium
join:2000-11-28
South Bend, IN

So

Does this bad boy come in white???????? bahahahahaha

Pope
Premium
join:2001-08-05
Napa, CA
reply to ptrowski

said by ptrowski:

Exactly, I think the same thing would happen to VZ that happened to AT&T unless VZ knew this was coming and beefed it up substantially which I doubt.
»news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20012 ··· 266.html
"...Verizon Wireless smartphone customers consume on average about 421 megabytes per month. Meanwhile, AT&T iPhone users consume roughly 25 percent less data, or about 338 megabytes per month."

It appears Verizon already has more data traffic than AT&T and they still don't have the issues AT&T does. This is what happens when a company focuses on network infrastructure with its profits.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
said by Pope:

said by ptrowski:

»news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20012 ··· 266.html
"...Verizon Wireless smartphone customers consume on average about 421 megabytes per month. Meanwhile, AT&T iPhone users consume roughly 25 percent less data, or about 338 megabytes per month."

It appears Verizon already has more data traffic than AT&T and they still don't have the issues AT&T does. This is what happens when a company focuses on network infrastructure with its profits.
That's great and all, but when you will have a HUGE surge of new users that doesn't matter.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Able to talk and use data at the same time?

Will you be able to talk on the speakerphone and access the web at the same time while on VZ?

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
reply to Rob

said by Rob:

The large number of android phones don't seem to be having much of an effect.

It's not just the 3G speeds that push people to VZW, it's the lack of coverage.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
reply to ptrowski

Re: Able to talk and use data at the same time?

said by ptrowski:

Will you be able to talk on the speakerphone and access the web at the same time while on VZ?
On Wifi, yes. On 3G no.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
said by fifty nine:

said by ptrowski:

On Wifi, yes. On 3G no.
That's no fun.
--

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany

1 recommendation

reply to ptrowski

I seriously doubt VZW will see a huge surge in "new" customers. No doubt, there will be consumers that migrate from AT&T to Verizon Wireless, but I don't believe the numbers will be as grand as some believe...at least not nearly as much of a surge that AT&T experience when initially offering the iPhone.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
I am not sure. There have been quite a few mentions of people that would switch in a heartbeat should it come out, so I think it would be more than you may expect.

Only time will tell I guess.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany

1 recommendation

And I say I will work out more, drink less, and eat healthier all of the time. Doesn't make it a reality

Yes time will tell.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
said by openbox9:

And I say I will work out more, drink less, and eat healthier all of the time. Doesn't make it a reality

Yes time will tell.
Wow, you have the same aspirations as I do!
--

i1me2ao
Premium
join:2001-03-03
TEXAS
reply to Jim Kirk
i can as a current verizon customer and the shoddy service and ongoing issue that will not be addressed. i can assure you verizon network is not ready for this in texas.

i have had phone monitored for congestion and dropped signals for a 3 month period and spoke directly with engineers and tech support over these issues..
--
calling a illegal alien undocumented is like calling a drug dealer a undocumented pharmacist

clickie8

join:2005-05-22
Monroe, MI

I Won't Defect

AT&T isn't that bad, and considering Verizon's nickle-by-nickle shakedown billing of Verizon.

appler

@sbcglobal.net

Will the app store be even more locked down with att and ver

Will the app store be even more locked down with att and verizon need to give ok for a APP to show up?

Will verizon force apps on to your iphone?

ZachAttack

join:2009-05-30
Yorba Linda, CA
reply to ptrowski

Re: Able to talk and use data at the same time?

How many times in real life does anyone do that? I dated an iPhone person and they did that one time that I saw, in an 11 month relationship.

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09

So based on Ivan's previous statement..

of saying Verizon wasn't getting the iphone anytime soon, that people signed up with another carrier or signed a new contract because their phone was broke. I know someone who's phone won't charge the battery (they used another phone to charge the battery) & was holding off as long as possible b/c they wanted the iphone. Well when Ivan said they were not getting it anytime soon, he renewed his contract & got an android. Now he's hearing the iphone is coming early next year & is not too happy