dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-10-29 14:47:03: As we noted at great length yesterday, the cable industry (and Wall Street analysts pushing cable stocks) first insisted that TV cord cutters weren't real. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium Member
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY

1 edit

chlen

Premium Member

I am a cord cutter.

The few shows I watch like House can be seen OTA which is not even needed because I have Road Runner and if I plug my cable line into my TV I get all the OTA channels in great quality and HD.

I got rid of cable over two years ago. I am too busy between full time work and graduate education to watch TV. I can watch sports OTA.

I also never saw the need to get a phone line, aside from my cell. I have a direct line at work and a work cell, I dont need more.

The only thing I use and pay for is TW RR cable internet.

It is not a financial issue, but simply I do not use it. I am 27, well educated, and have a good income. I dont have time for cable.

I can catch Hulu once in a while.
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

mob (banned)

Proud Cord Cutter

Early 30's
Employed Full Time
Right around the average income listed
College education

Craig Moffett could come hang out at my place, watch some Netflix, or maybe some of the DVD's I have. Then we could watch internet TV on Media Center streamed from my pc to my HDTV via Xbox 360. Then he can swoon as I just have data service, yet don't eat dog food for nutrition or as a metaphor in regard to shitty video selection on the internet.

Also, Craig Moffett gets paid for being right part of the time and loud all of the time.

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

1 edit

vpoko

Premium Member

Next strategy

I'm guessing the next strategy, once the movement goes mainstream and people are leaving cable in droves, will be to claim that cord-cutters can only be embracing piracy, and that a non-cable-subscriber tax (similar to the blank media tax) should apply to them to make up for cable's lost revenues.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

Why pay more?

I'm in the "target audience" for cord cutters.

Tell me why I should pay more for my TV than I am paying now? If I were to cut the cord, I'd pay more, have less flexibility, and spend more time watching TV.

When I did the #'s it added up to much more than I pay for Internet + TV now with Verizon.
caco
Premium Member
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

1 edit

caco

Premium Member

Overestimating cord cutters

Even netflix CEO isn't so sure about cord cutter hype.

»mediamemo.allthingsd.com ··· cutters/

IMO the crappy economy had more to do with lower video numbers and the numbers should increase once economy gets better. The bigger question is once people notice they didn't die by not being able to watch ESPN,Nick and Disney channel, they might not want to go back to paying x amount of dollars to watch a few channels.
tman852
join:2010-07-06
Columbus, OH

1 edit

tman852

Well

I don't have a cord to cut because the DICKS won't even run cable to my house to begin with. TV or internet. That's ok, next time I'm out hunting up the road where there is cable I could always mistake the cable line for a pheasant.

vpoko
Premium Member
Boston, MA

vpoko to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05

Re: Why pay more?

said by itguy05:

If I were to cut the cord, I'd pay more, have less flexibility, and spend more time watching TV.
Can you elaborate? You would no longer be paying for cable, which is around $100 a month (give or take depending on your specific package and where you live), and you'd have to really go out of your way to spend $100 a month on streaming services.
Phatty
join:2000-05-10
Saint Louis, MO

Phatty

thought about

But I do watch a lot of random shows, from a lot of random networks, history, discovery probably being the tops. And the ease of having my cable provided DVR record everything for me has kept me a cable customer. No one streaming service has it all, and I have had times where Netflix won't stick with HD even when it appears everything is performing well on my network.

Now I have killed a couple premium channels, and I have a feeling at the end of my next promo I will have to cut a few more as I refuse to have the bill with just my TV services break a $100/month.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

What is Karl's pic doing with this story?

What is Karl's pic doing with this story?
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to vpoko

to vpoko

Sure. I pay ~ $125 to Verizon for FiOS Internet 25/15, 1 DVR, 1HD box, and 1 SD Box.

If I were to drop TV, Internet would go up $39 (my bundle discount). So now I'm spending over $70 for Internet.

Then I need a way for my wife to get her soaps. That costs $$. Then I have to get my shows (a few on Discovery, TLC, History, etc.) Some may cost $$.

Then I have to get a way to get that to the TV. So that's either a HTPC, Apple TV, or Logitech Revue. More $$.

Then I get to watch commercials which I skip with the DVR.

It may work if you are a single person or don't watch TV but for a household that watches a small to moderate amount of TV it doesn't make sense.

Cord cutting is not worth the hassle and costs more!

Toolshed
@144.70.2.x

Toolshed to mob

Anon

to mob

Re: Proud Cord Cutter

Navy disabled war vet. Clear twice average income, degree in chemistry, and work 60 plus hours a week. No TV subscription in over 2 years. 2 Cells one work direct line at work, air card from work for laptop. Peronal Fios 100meg symetrical connection. Yet hey fiber to the prem is pointless lol. According to this guy so is anyone really surprised?? Oh and btw im a vegitarian so dog food is not a option.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: What is Karl's pic doing with this story?

Karl?!

I thought it was the new FCC chairman!
56403739 (banned)
Less than 5 months left
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL

56403739 (banned) to caco

to caco

Re: Overestimating cord cutters

said by caco:

The bigger question is once people notice they didn't die by not being able to watch ESPN,Nick and Disney channel, they might not want to go back to paying x amount of dollars to watch a few channels.
And that is precisely why stock fluffers like Moffett are attempting to obfuscate what is really going on. Cable TV is a commodity item now, not the novelty it was in the 1980's, and there is no "cool factor" associated with it in 2010. Television programming quality continues to decline, and expensive channels like ESPN really are not worth what it costs to get them. The more people realize how they've been had by the pay TV industry the less likely they are to come back, and once their friends see this the avalanche starts.

This scares the shit out of the cablers, seeing their business model start to evaporate before their eyes.
Test99
Premium Member
join:2003-04-24
San Jose, CA

Test99

Premium Member

Unfair to Dogs

The most recent thing I really enjoyed watching on TV was the live coverage of the revolution in Tienanmen Square in 1989.

There's no way I would spend both time and money watching no-ops on TV. My idea of torture is being forced to watch TV with no access to the OFF switch.

Craig Moffet has it backwards. If cable bills keep rising, people may have to eat dog food in order to pay the cable bill.

Toolshed
@144.70.2.x

Toolshed to itguy05

Anon

to itguy05

You need to call a billing rep with vz. Your numbers are way off and your "bundle discount" is really smoke and mirrors. Fiber data standalone for 25/25 is 64.99 as internet is a nontaxable service at the moment you would half your bill.

TCub
Premium Member
join:2008-09-03
Olmsted Falls, OH

TCub

Premium Member

I cut the cord.

I fit most of the bill..

22 years old, full time college student, working part time... Netflix Instant Streaming via PS3 and a running collection of media via iTunes.. Screw cable...
TCub

TCub to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05

"Cord cutting is not worth the hassle and costs more..." for people addicted to shitty television...

The shows I watch, I can find on Netflix.

Just because it doesn't work out for you, doesn't mean anything for the rest of us.
NeoandGeo
join:2003-05-10
Harrison, TN

NeoandGeo to 56403739

to 56403739

It does suck, but they have me by the balls since, my entire family, and myself watch sporting events out the ass. Everything besides pro football (and a bit of college) is more than 95% exclusive to cable.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

CCA , Cord Cutters Anonymous

Hi, My name is Guppy and I'm a Cord Cutter

Soon, they will start having free clinics to help rehab the poor lost souls that cut the cord. In a few years we will have a ballot initiative to make it legal to cut the cord without it being a criminal offense

Disclaimer:

The above is purely for humor and in no way reflects the opinion of the poster. And similarity or likeness to a real cord-cutter is unintentional and in no way reflects on this web-site or its affiliates
XJakeX
join:2005-03-05
Coventry, RI

XJakeX to itguy05

to itguy05

>>>Then I have to get my shows

I used to think the same way, and you know what? I learned that I "didn't" have to. I learned that the same flavor of shows that are on those networks are also on PBS. And in my area, the PBS stations are making very good use of the digital subchanels. Most people won't have this luxury, but I am lucky enough to be able to pull in PBS stations from two markets - Providence and Boston - and between them, there are 8 different channels.

I don't know what kind of deal you got locked into with Verizon. And I don't know how can your Internet go UP $39.00 for dropping the TV portion of your bundle, unless it's some kind of ETF. I don't even pay $39.00 for my Internet. And I won't be giving Verizon any new business after a bad experience I had with them.

It's all a matter of perspective, and what you really consider "Must See TV". When my nephew cut the cord, his kids were all upset. But they got over it. Now they spend a little more time on the computer or with video games, and actually more time playing with each other.

It's amazing how quickly you can realize what you don't "have to get".

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

1 recommendation

McSummation

Premium Member

Not a "cord cutter"

I can't "cut the cord" because I've never had that umbilical plugged in anyway. We watch OTA, Netflix, and over internet. We never saw the "need" to have cable, as it was an expense for a lot of junk we didn't want to watch anyway. More than 1/2 of the TV we watch is PBS, which has 3 OTA channels out of Austin.

Demographic: Post grad college, tech sector over 30 years, retired, private pilot, RVer. I bet that doesn't fit their model at all.

MikeRaach
join:2000-12-05
Martinez, CA

MikeRaach

Already cut that cord...

Is there any stock I can buy that wager on the fact that the cable industries stock will tank in the next 10 years?

I've cut the cord, am 26, have a college education and make over 70k a year. Now that I look at it, maybe that is why I've cut the cord...because I am smart.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad

Premium Member

Not a cord cutter.... yet

I fit the bill of a cord cutter (not according to the cable exec, I mean the 30-something, college grad, employed, etc description). We have moved towards cord cutting: We watch more Netflix (streaming via Roku and DVDs) and take DVDs out of our local library. Most of the shows we watch could be viewed on Hulu (which will come to Roku soon).

Still, we haven't cut the cord just yet. It turns out that there is a set of channels that we actually like watching that we wouldn't get if we cord-cut. Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Disney and Discovery Channel are chief among them. (The first three for my kids, the last for me.)

If we were able to get those channels via streaming (either included in Netflix or even another paid service), we would be able to cut the cord entirely. Given how more and more shows are going streaming, I think it's just a matter of time. So we might not be cord cutters now, but the possibility of doing it is in our minds and we'll keep an eye out for the chance to slice that cable line.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

I never had a cord to cut ...

Although I am pretty close to the cable industry image of a "cord cutter", I never had a cord to cut. I resisted getting cable service forever. Even if I was a closer match to the actual "cord cutter" demographic, as opposed to the cable industry vision, I would not have a cord to cut. The price of the package, and the included product, would have been like paying $50 a month to watch two shows a week. That's over $6.00 per show; and still with commercials in the product. No thank you. OTA was always good enough for me.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

In a few years...

There will be people who don't even subscribe to any cable networks from the get-go.

I'm sort of newly out of college, employed, and didn't even subscribe to any cable, so there isn't a cord for me to cut.

My favorite shows are actually a daily vlog on YT and other OTA stuff.
56403739 (banned)
Less than 5 months left
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL

56403739 (banned) to NeoandGeo

to NeoandGeo

You're their perfect video-addict customer. If you can't wean yourself off of the TV , go to a club or bar to watch the games...have some real social interaction for once. Or you could grow up a bit and realize that all the sporting events you watch out the ass aren't worth the time or money.

Or you can just continue to be bent over by the cable industry twice a year, without lube.

HFB1217
The Wizard Premium ExMod 2000-01

join:2000-06-26
Camelot SwFL

1 edit

HFB1217

Just pinched the cord a bit

Cut back on my cable eliminating HBO, Show Time ETC.

I can't cut it completely as the only option for Internet and TV is Comcast. I live in my towns BLACK hole for Verizon service just a bit to far from a CO or repeater and no fiber upgrade seen in the near future.

Still it costs me $135 a month for Internet and a modest expansion Tier selection. WAY TO HIGH in cost for what I get for it

Just checked my Bill and look what I found a NEW CHARGE it's a

One-time fees, PPV, Usage (Non-recurring charges) $9.98

vpoko
Premium Member
Boston, MA

vpoko to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05

That makes sense, some people watch more TV than others, and if you (and your family) watch a lot, I can see how other options aren't quite "there yet".

When I had cable I found that - other than the few shows I actually enjoyed - I would spend a not insignificant amount of time just staring at whatever crap was on TV. With streaming, now I only watch something if I consider it good enough to seek out, I don't just flip to a channel and watch what happens to be on. I cut the cord about a year ago after thinking about it for months and fearing that I'd be bored more often. I haven't missed cable once.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79 to chlen

Premium Member

to chlen

Re: I am a cord cutter.

Cut my cord a year ago. I was paying Cablevision $54/month for a whopping 45 channels. F--- that!

And I'm:
• College educated
• Employed full time
• Make well over $50,000 / year

Unfortunately, I'm no longer under 40.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 recommendation

Metatron2008 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter

Re: What is Karl's pic doing with this story?

You two are rong, thats me *burp*
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next