spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-10-29 14:47:03: As we noted at great length yesterday, the cable industry (and Wall Street analysts pushing cable stocks) first insisted that TV cord cutters weren't real. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · next

axiomatic

join:2006-08-23
Tomball, TX

Well then...

Reading most of these replies it sounds like "cord cutters" are generally knowledgeable people who know what they've done and have a logical reason as to why they feel that the product is not worth the price anymore.

I have not cut the cord (yet) but I want too. Were it not for two distinct reasons I would have done so already. One being that my wife threatened my life, and two my favorite sport Boxing is on HBO and Showtime and as far as I am aware of no one streams Boxing matches as of yet.

I am hoping to teach my wife that most of the shows she watches are available on XBOX live so I'll let you all know if she relents. Otherwise, if you don't hear from me... she made good on her threat.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

Not a cord cutter

Low 30s, >200k income, homeowner, college educated.

I like the convenience and pay for it.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

Re: Not a cord cutter

said by fifty nine:

Low 30s, >200k income, homeowner, college educated.

I like the convenience and pay for it.
Good for you you're in the top 3% in income. You're hardly representitive. Good luck to cable/satellite trying to stay in business off the top 3%.
pkorx8

join:2003-06-19
San Francisco, CA

1 recommendation

Cord Cutter in SF Bay Area

I just cut the cord last month, moving into a new place in Mountainview.
At first, I was skeptical about OTA reception, so I bought the biggest Channel Master antenna (43" x 33") and mounted it in the attic. For ~$80, that is like price for one month of cable.
Reception is great.... the channel strength is either 100% or 0% (no lock). I'm picking up ~65 OTA channels now, granted less than half are in english.

Since 90% of everything I watch are on fox, nbc, abc, cbs anyways, there is no need for cable. I don't know why I didn't cut the cord earlier!
btw, in the sf bay area, OTA is easy because all major broadcast streams are from sutro tower (~35miles away), so my antenna is fixed.

In regards to having to order cable tv package from Comcast or ATT in order to get a lower price on broadband, my solution is to get the intro internet-only U-verse package (6mbps down/1mbps up) for $20/month.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

Still a small percentage

So, we see people dropping cable and we attribute that to "cord cutters"? I hardly think so. I think about 10% of those people who canceled cable actually are cord cutters. The other 90% are moving providers or just canceling because they can't afford it.

Let me say this one more time....until everything (live sporting events, shows past and present, etc) can be found online, easily, and legally, you will not see cord cutting en masse. A bulk majority of cord cutters resort to netflix to catch past episodes of shows, online portals (like nbc and cbs) to watch current episodes of shows, torrents to watch current shows, and illegal streams to watch live sporting events.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

Re: Still a small percentage

You hit upon an important point. Until cord cutting requires no EFFORT it will be a fringe cult rather than a mainstream revolution.

The Fox-Cablevision spat underscores how simply unwilling many people are to even do a simple thing such as put up an antenna or even use a rabbit ears. They'd rather go online and whine about how unfair broadcasters are for negotiating higher fees from cable companies instead of just putting up an antenna and getting all of their OTA channels without added compression and free of contract disputes (or cost for that matter).

Even navigating different websites for shows or even downloading torrents requires some degree of effort, whereas picking up the remote and plopping down in front of the idiot box is simply effortless.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

said by fifty nine:

You hit upon an important point. Until cord cutting requires no EFFORT it will be a fringe cult rather than a mainstream revolution.

The Fox-Cablevision spat underscores how simply unwilling many people are to even do a simple thing such as put up an antenna or even use a rabbit ears. They'd rather go online and whine about how unfair broadcasters are for negotiating higher fees from cable companies instead of just putting up an antenna and getting all of their OTA channels without added compression and free of contract disputes (or cost for that matter).

Even navigating different websites for shows or even downloading torrents requires some degree of effort, whereas picking up the remote and plopping down in front of the idiot box is simply effortless.
Let me expand on that by saying that some of these channels were not offered OTA. Fox Sports Detroit is a cable channel and not broadcast OTA. Just an example. So, even cutting the cord does nothing for live sports broadcasts that are on cable/dish only, which is another reason why I won't move to cutting the cord all the way. Especially for crappy looking streams off illegal sites that are not 1080i quality.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by Nightfall:

So, we see people dropping cable and we attribute that to "cord cutters"? I hardly think so. I think about 10% of those people who canceled cable actually are cord cutters. The other 90% are moving providers or just canceling because they can't afford it.

Let me say this one more time....until everything (live sporting events, shows past and present, etc) can be found online, easily, and legally, you will not see cord cutting en masse. A bulk majority of cord cutters resort to netflix to catch past episodes of shows, online portals (like nbc and cbs) to watch current episodes of shows, torrents to watch current shows, and illegal streams to watch live sporting events.
NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL all have LEGAL online viewing options.

Tv Watcher

@comcast.net

Yes, they do have online viewing options but your local team is blacked out. If you're a Red Wings fan and live in Michigan, you can't watch the game on NHL gamecenter live. Not to mention, there is nothing like sitting on the couch and watching the game in HD rather than sit in front of a computer or try to stream stuff to the tv. Its pretty tough for sports fans to cut the cord. Now movies, I can see... I won't ever cut cable unless they really jacked the rates. I like tv and not afraid to admit it.

jazzlady

join:2005-08-04
Tannersville, PA

I'd cut the cord too...

...if I could.

I live in the middle of nowhere, there are no OTA signals here. It's cable or satellite if I want to watch tv.

I can't watch stuff online either, as my cable company has now reduced the cap to 50 gigs a month for my 15/2 tier.

I guess Netflix and Hulu are eating into their profits...

Prices go up, caps go down, I'd kill for another option- like FIOS.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

Re: I'd cut the cord too...

I plugged Bartonsville, PA into TVfool. You don't appear to be as much in the middle of nowhere as you think. A decent rooftop antenna ought to pick up all the major networks. We are in hilly NH and pull in most of the Boston stations 42 miles away.

»www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp···49b0974a

Use your exact address for a more accurate report.

/tom

Link8

join:2001-12-16
Davis, CA

They should talk to my older brother, he loves to cut cords. A few weeks ago, he cut the cord on our toaster when he decided it was time to retire it (it wasn't plugged in when he did that).

lol Taking cord cutting too literally, I suppose.
--
VGMasters my video game forum

jazzlady

Tannersville, PA

1 recommendation

said by tschmidt:

I plugged Bartonsville, PA into TVfool. You don't appear to be as much in the middle of nowhere as you think. A decent rooftop antenna ought to pick up all the major networks. We are in hilly NH and pull in most of the Boston stations 42 miles away.

»www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp···49b0974a

Use your exact address for a more accurate report.

/tom
I don't have a street address... just one of those "rural route" addresses.

The stations from NY and Philly are nearly 100 miles away, the ones from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre are blocked by mountains.

I'd have to have an antenna 2000 feet high to get any kind of OTA signal here. I've tried before. There is no signal here- period.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
I live 50 miles from the transmitters. It requires effort, high gain antennas, low loss coax and a high gain preamp but I get OTA just fine.

Deep fringe reception is not for everyone but I am enjoying the rewards.

jazzlady

Tannersville, PA

said by fifty nine:

I live 50 miles from the transmitters. It requires effort, high gain antennas, low loss coax and a high gain preamp but I get OTA just fine.

Deep fringe reception is not for everyone but I am enjoying the rewards.
According to AntennaWeb and TVFool, there are NO stations that will reach my area. I actually live in Tannersville, not Bartonsville. I plugged the name of my street, and there are NO signals that reach here, like I said previously.

I am too far away from NY, and there is a mountain range in between my location and the nearest transmitters from the WB/Scranton area. Unless they put a transmitter on top of Camelback mountain, there will never, ever be OTA reception in this area.
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
said by jazzlady:

...if I could.

I live in the middle of nowhere, there are no OTA signals here. It's cable or satellite if I want to watch tv.

I can't watch stuff online either, as my cable company has now reduced the cap to 50 gigs a month for my 15/2 tier.

move to philly

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK
said by jazzlady:

...if I could.

Isn't 50g enough?
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1

Ok Then...

I suppose that only lazy, overweight, 40-year-old, uneducated slobs living in their mother's basement are spending $200 or more each month for TV and internet service?

Reading this thread, one could generalize and think that only vegetarian professors, jogging along the highways picking up litter while recording audio books for disabled children, are cord cutters.

Is TV responsible for our behavior, or might certain types of personalities be more likely to rely on the TV as a major form of entertainment? Take away the TVs and we might find that these people are not reading more books, frequently mingling with their peers, or taking long walks admiring nature's beauty.

Perhaps TV is more like an addicting drug?

vimeo.com/10857606

cruz1

@sbcglobal.net

At least cut the cord to get DirecTV or Dish!

I only have basic service on DirecTV but a much better experience than I ever had on ANY cable connection! They have rate hikes - about every few YEARS instead of cable's every few MONTHS!
lonewoolf47

join:2001-04-20
Denver, CO

Re: At least cut the cord to get DirecTV or Dish!

I'm a little confused! In the past few years Directv faithfully has had a price of at least three% every year! All the Pay TV providers which includes Cable and Satellite raise their prices every March.

Carl LaFong

@loeb.com

Cord Cutter in Los Angeles

College Educated
Professional Certification
Homeowner
Gainfully Employed
Family of Four
Older and richer than their demographic

We cut the cord when we realized we weren't watching anything that couldn't be received OTA or online. Bought an HTPC for streaming. Already had a Roku box for Netflix streaming. Bought a Tivo for timeshifting OTA broadcasts (mostly PBS and few network shows).

OTA comes in great from high atop Mt. Wilson in noticably better quality than cable ever did.

Economy did figure into it a bit. I couldn't see paying a monthly fee for something I wasn't using AT ALL.

I have never eaten dog food (my dogs would not like it). My dogs have eat people food when I turned my back.

Every time I toy with the idea of going back (for TCM-HD) I think of how unpleasant it is to deal with the cable company. The desire quickly goes away.
Roop

join:2003-11-15
Ottawa, ON

Re: Cord Cutter in Los Angeles

I would like to see a chart comparing IQ to % of income spent on TV. I think the dumber you are, the more you're likely to spend on TV (time+money). Why? Most of TV is absolute nonsense and if you're dumb, you probably pay for an inferior product which you could get for free with some light reading.

To elaborate on the above, I can only name a few television series in the last 10 years that were well written, well acted and were generally entertaining:
- Ugly Betty
- Battlestar Galactica
- Carnivale, Eli Stone and Firefly were all great but had a single season

The rest is just garbage, with a bunch of people portraying adults with the emotional intelligence of highschool teens (Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Lost). The shows I liked had characters who thought for themselves. The shows I didn't like had people who thought alike.

At times I could relate to the characters in BSG or Carnivale, but never to Grey's Anatomy.

SuckItCable

@optonline.net

Bye-bye cable

-Under 40
-Working on my MBA
-Fully employed
-Making over $50k a year

Cut the cord in March 2009. Cablevision was charging me $50 a month and taking away channels on top of it, insisting I rent a cable box for $5 a month + $3 Cablecard fee + $10 for the digital package. That's about $20 month extra for channels I was already getting (and barely watching). I saved enough money to pay for half of my trip to Italy this past summer!

Arrividerci cable!

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16

No cord cutting for me

I’m 25, make about $35,000/year, graduated high school with honors, went to college and have an Associate Degree in IT but am not working nor have I ever worked in the field. And I have no intention of cutting the cord. I love TV, and see great value out of it.

My cable bill is well over $300/month. It should be about $270, but I subscribe to NHL Center Ice, MLB Extra Innings and ESPN Game Plan. I LOVE SPORTS!!! I’d have NFL Sunday Ticket too if it wasn’t exclusive to DirecTV.

Why the hell would I want to watch my shows from garbage sites like Hulu? With all the TV shows I watch, downloading them for iTunes wouldn’t be worth it. And I have no problem pirating stuff, but I don’t want to download my shows only to find out the quality sucks or they’re in a different language. Why would I want to run an HDMI cable from my computer to my home theater receiver to watch TV? Why would I want to hunt and peck for shows to find when I can press a button on my remote? ‘Sorry honey, can’t watch CSI yet, have to launch Bit Torrent and find a HD version and download it’. Fuck that shit! Watching TV online blows! And Netflix can kiss my ass. If I want to watch Dexter, I want to watch the new season NOW. I don’t want to wait six months for it to come out on DVD. And with no live sports or news watching TV online is so utterly stupid! I’ll be damned if I ever give up my MSG or Fox News!

I also have no plans to cut the other cord. I have a home phone as well as three cell phones, 2 personal (HTC Evo on Sprint and Motorola i680 on Nextel) and 1 company issued. Landline (well TW Digital Phone) all the way for me!
--
Time Warner Cable Subscriber, Fanboy, Shill & Lover - Providing an advanced fiber network since before fiber became popular
Sprint Subscriber, Fanboy, Shill & Lover - America’s most dependable 3G network, first 4G network, best push to talk network
tmc8080

Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

Re: No cord cutting for me

said by Steve Mehs:

I’m 25, make about $35,000/year, graduated high school with honors, went to college and have an Associate Degree in IT but am not working nor have I ever worked in the field. And I have no intention of cutting the cord. I love TV, and see great value out of it.

My cable bill is well over $300/month. It should be about $270, but I subscribe to NHL Center Ice, MLB Extra Innings and ESPN Game Plan. I LOVE SPORTS!!! I’d have NFL Sunday Ticket too if it wasn’t exclusive to DirecTV.

Why the hell would I want to watch my shows from garbage sites like Hulu? With all the TV shows I watch, downloading them for iTunes wouldn’t be worth it. And I have no problem pirating stuff, but I don’t want to download my shows only to find out the quality sucks or they’re in a different language. Why would I want to run an HDMI cable from my computer to my home theater receiver to watch TV? Why would I want to hunt and peck for shows to find when I can press a button on my remote? ‘Sorry honey, can’t watch CSI yet, have to launch Bit Torrent and find a HD version and download it’. Fuck that shit! Watching TV online blows! And Netflix can kiss my ass. If I want to watch Dexter, I want to watch the new season NOW. I don’t want to wait six months for it to come out on DVD. And with no live sports or news watching TV online is so utterly stupid! I’ll be damned if I ever give up my MSG or Fox News!

I also have no plans to cut the other cord. I have a home phone as well as three cell phones, 2 personal (HTC Evo on Sprint and Motorola i680 on Nextel) and 1 company issued. Landline (well TW Digital Phone) all the way for me!
The poster is obviously addicted to cable-tv and the convenince it offers-- and for that you PAY$$.. plain and simple. Yes, there are slight inconveniences of downloading content... however.. there are tools to make a HTPC/media server experience work for you... most people go to work.. ie they drive, walk or take mass transit and are away from home 7-12 hours per day at least 5 days per week on a f/t schedule. That leaves plenty of time to queue content via broadband in the limited time you have to watch when your'e home. Thinking about downloaded content as the same as DVR, only better.. because you dont' have to wait for a cable company to queue up certain shows each month.. Want a certain EP of CSI? GO GET IT, ON DEMAND.. sure, it's not gonna happen instantly with a cable company without PAYING for the priviledge if they offer it at all.. However, to say cable is still way more convenient THAN a home media library with Terabytes of locally stored video files.. you will have ALOT of people on the other side of the fence... $300 and couch potato deliver, vs The Internet.

Many people can organize what they want to watch later on.. then some people can't... so they lie down for the cable company to do it for them..... that will be an inevitable societal change that the cable companies will have to deal with sooner or later. Content providers have had canary fits over remote DVR and the like... but like it or not, it's coming. Maybe not to the broadband black holes, but just about everywhere else, IT IS!

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16

Your idiotic ideas about the asinine concept of downloading TV shows does me no good for wanting to watch live sports or live news coverage.

And I have no desire to watch 'just any episode’ of a show. I want to watch the CURRENT episode NOW. I'm not waiting for some guy to rip it and post it on BitTorrent in subpar quality. I'll DVR it and watch it the next day. I don’t want to queue up anything. This is TV not fuckin brain surgery, I want to turn on the TV and watch, THAT’S IT! I don’t care what it costs, I’ll pay for convenience. I don’t need nor want terabytes and terabytes worth of content. That’s so fuckin stupid. I DVR about 25-30 shows a week, I want new episodes only, I don’t care to see or have for archival purposes episode 6 from the second season of Law & Order.

Watching TV online is stupidest concept EVER! You can shove that retarded up your ass, I’ll keep my cable TV, thank you very much.
--
Time Warner Cable Subscriber, Fanboy, Shill & Lover - Providing an advanced fiber network since before fiber became popular
Sprint Subscriber, Fanboy, Shill & Lover - America’s most dependable 3G network, first 4G network, best push to talk network

Poorfellow

join:2008-03-16
New York, NY

2 edits

said by Steve Mehs:

Your idiotic ideas about the asinine concept of downloading TV shows does me no good for wanting to watch live sports or live news coverage.

And I have no desire to watch 'just any episode’ of a show. I want to watch the CURRENT episode NOW. I'm not waiting for some guy to rip it and post it on BitTorrent in subpar quality. I'll DVR it and watch it the next day. I don’t want to queue up anything. This is TV not fuckin brain surgery, I want to turn on the TV and watch, THAT’S IT! I don’t care what it costs, I’ll pay for convenience. I don’t need nor want terabytes and terabytes worth of content. That’s so fuckin stupid. I DVR about 25-30 shows a week, I want new episodes only, I don’t care to see or have for archival purposes episode 6 from the second season of Law & Order.

Watching TV online is stupidest concept EVER! You can shove that retarded up your ass, I’ll keep my cable TV, thank you very much.
Hey, you have an "Associates in IT" -- I totally get your arrogance.

Ioweyou

@comcast.net

I'll be cutting in about a year

I have had DirecTV for 6 years and love it (umm I used to be a DirecTV installer) but it has just gotten to expensive... $80 per month for two TV's, one with a standard DVR and the other with an HD DVR. I was also paying COMcast $53 per month for internet service so I decided to dump DirecTV and go with one of the Comcast 'introductory' packages and get digital cable with internet combined. Introductory price.... $69 a month for one year. When it runs out... "SNIP!"
tmc8080

Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

cord cutters don't give a rats ass

many have been happily torrenting shows from all the broadcast networks.. if they won't pay for rip off cable-tv bills, you might wonder how laughable these worthless disputes over rebroadcast rights by the free-ota broadcast networks. once you don't gotta pay so much money, you are psychologically predisposed to consume more vs much less of the mindless programming when downloading/streaming. another side effect/benefit no commercials. the broadcast networks and cable-tv have loaded up on the honeypot that is advertising.. it's getting to the point where news segments like cnn will end up being sliced & diced too because of all the gloppy commericals added in. in my book, cnn is becoming the ESPN of the news business. makes you wish you could go back to the "head on" pain relief commericals of 2004-2005. if it's not this or that company trying to perk up their image commerical, it's a drug company, a lawyer interest group, debt consolidation business scam, or... ? (seasonal politics commericals?). the more tv networks water it down, the easier it is to digitally slice and dice what's worthy of attention-- adding to the cord cutting incentive.

they are:
cbs
nbc
abc
fox
my9 (limited markets)
wpix (limited markets)

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

Looks like. . . . .

the smart are the ones dumping cable/sat.
its the fatcats calling the cord cutters old and stupid.
Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Re: Looks like. . . . .

After seeing what Cox is offering.. I'm seriously thinking about it. $125.00 a month for cable is stupid.

I can very easily just get the ultimate tier (when available) and simply pay for that/phone.

I feel like cable itself is getting to the point where were paying for infomercials, ads upon ads, (hearing TMOBLE and their ring on some programme makes me think it should have been clearly marked that it's been SPONSORED by them.

BUT, with the internet scaring hollywood and the sponsors, I think we better start producing some high-quality shows once again that will make us WANT to subscribe to cable.

If i lived alone, I wouldn't have TV. PERIOD.

-Rob
--
Ghost Adventures Crew supporter

dwai

@clearwire-wmx.net

laff

I don't have any cable cords at all to cut because I never paid a cable company to deliver ads to my house.

TV: It's like the Internet only you can visit only 30-100 different sites, ever, and there's no adblock. #fail
sanitarium09

join:2002-09-01
Thief River Falls, MN

Re: laff

said by dwai :

I don't have any cable cords at all to cut because I never paid a cable company to deliver ads to my house.

TV: It's like the Internet only you can visit only 30-100 different sites, ever, and there's no adblock. #fail
Yep, that's all it is. I got rid of cable over a year ago when I came to my senses and asked myself why am I paying money for a service that is 75% ads? It's insane.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne

Re: laff

said by sanitarium09:

said by dwai :

Yep, that's all it is. I got rid of cable over a year ago when I came to my senses and asked myself why am I paying money for a service that is 75% ads? It's insane.
Add me to that list.

I'll keep the 10 mbit cable I pay $53 per month for, rather than paying an additional $50 for lousy basic cable tv (70 channels I believe). All the stuff you can find on TV and so much more can be found in cyberspace.
--
ISP: CableOne 10 mbit/1 mbit
LaraineMae

join:2010-10-24
usa

I cut the cord in the mid 80's...

I always thought the cable companies charged too much. I also hated paying for TV and still having to watch the ads. I have probably saved around $35,000 since then. Not counting interest. College educated, computer industry professional, parent. There are other options to cable.

bfraz

@verizon.net

No cable, No satelite, no home phone.

A Cell phone, DSL and Netflix is all I need. No cable for 8 years and very happy about it. Just turned 50 and wife and I make over 100k/yr.
MADx

join:2005-05-25
Richmond, IN

1 edit

Just when I think I was out, they keep pulling me back in...

I was going to cut the cord, but Comcast offered me a pretty sweet deal. HBO (free 6 months), Cinemax (free 3 months), and Showtime for 10.00, free DVR, phone, Internet 16/2, HD and Digital channels. No Sports tier (I don't watch to much sports) for $124.00 a month until September of 2011.

I still love my Netflix too.

tmh

@verizon.net

Got their heads stuck in the sand

quote:
Yesterday telecom sector quote machine Craig Moffett took this to a new level, declaring cord cutters to be little more than middle-aged poor nobodies eating dog food.

I hope the cable companies keep on believing that. They'll go out of business in no time.

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx

2 edits

Cord? What cord?

48yo and never had one to cut. Film only + The Daily Show stream + a UK proxy to watch some BBC - the latter resulting in more exposure to TV content in the last three years than the previous 30.

I used to NEVER meet U.S.ers in my age group who, as adults, had always gone without. Routinely got all manner of shock & disbelief at the concept. Those reactions tapered-off and it's been a few years since there's been one. Now it's "yeah, I work with someone who has dumped their TV and happy about it" or something similar.

simulacra

@verizon.net

Another with no cord to cut

My wife and kids are hooked on the satellite DVR combo, and probably will be for years to come. Our cord will remain firmly in place for the forseeable future.

A co-worker of mine has a quite different story. He and his wife are recently married and in their late twenties. They are college educated, and their household income is well in excess of $100k. Neither of them has had cable or satellite since they left home for college. They view OTA network television and use Blockbuster Online for movies, and free web-based options like Hulu. I recently introduced him to PlayOn, so that he could watch Hulu through his PS3. That is a killer combination for a "cord-cutter".
tmc8080

Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

Re: Another with no cord to cut

said by simulacra :

My wife and kids are hooked on the satellite DVR combo, and probably will be for years to come. Our cord will remain firmly in place for the forseeable future.

A co-worker of mine has a quite different story. He and his wife are recently married and in their late twenties. They are college educated, and their household income is well in excess of $100k. Neither of them has had cable or satellite since they left home for college. They view OTA network television and use Blockbuster Online for movies, and free web-based options like Hulu. I recently introduced him to PlayOn, so that he could watch Hulu through his PS3. That is a killer combination for a "cord-cutter".
The issue of the "cord cutters" vs "reidential cable fanclub" is more to do with the business model of delivery of the content. As this thread suggests, the trend is growing that more consumers will cancel cable-tv subscriptions as they can pursue more convenient and competitive options. Yes, one option is dowloading free content (whether it be competely legal or not is just about besides the point here.. its happening, and it's growing).

Watch what happens to the next generation of HDTV's.. they will allow the consumer to stream or input content to it digitally. Some integrated tv/dvd players have had this ability for quite a while.. some even supporting the DIVX codec and USB ports for more than a dozen years... add to that ethernet, wifi and other technologies. Cable companies? Head in Sand.