dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-11-04 21:41:34: T-Mobile's third quarter earnings mirrored Sprint's somewhat, in that the company saw new subscriber growth (137,000 net additions), but suffered a financial hit from having to cover for all of those up front phone subsidy costs. ..

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
join:2001-08-02
La Porte, IN

ztmike

Premium Member

at&t responds..

Via their Facebook lol

»www.facebook.com/home.ph ··· 83614216
quote:
Hey Fans! You may have seen T-Mobile smack talking our network (seriously TMo?) and calling their HSPA+ network “4G” in order to claim they have the largest “4G” network. Not so fast…we have 180 million folks on HSPA+ already…40 million more than they do. They also claim 200 million by year’s end, but we’ll have it to 250 million this month. So their network isn’t any bigger or faster. Just calling ‘em as we see ‘em.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

Re: at&t responds..

So the company that can't run their own network is flinging mud at another company that doesn't have a large enough footprint?

Awesome. Sounds like a cellular provider cripple fight if I've ever seen one.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

i'd rather have a small working network than a massive slow, broken network

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

Unfortunately around here, neither AT&T nor T-Mobile work worth a damn. So, seeing them both at each other's necks over their quality of non-service is laughable.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

looking at t-mobiles coverage maps you have HSPA+ in encino. if you don't live in town its not their problem. if you live in the mountains obviously your going to have problems.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

said by ArrayList:

if you live in the mountains obviously your going to have problems.
Somehow Sprint & Verizon are able to maintain signal all the way up the Sepulveda overpass. AT&T and T-Mobile drop signal randomly in town, even before you get to the hills. They can color us on their coverage maps all they want...doesn't mean a damn thing.

Hell, you'd think on one of the nation's most traffic-laden freeways AT&T or T-Mobile could at least maintain signal on the 405. Nope.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

its probably because they don't provide service in the hills. if you don't have towers there you have no service. its not rocket science.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

said by ArrayList:

if you don't have towers there you have no service. its not rocket science.
Maybe you didn't read my post. AT&T and T-Mobile both have the entire town under coverage (according to maps), and yet even away from the hills, your calls get reliably dropped.

Also, Sprint & Verizon claim to cover the same area, yet actually provide reliable service both in and out of the hills. I may not know how cellular providers operate, but I don't think those two providers are doing something special, or are powered by pixie dust or something.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
STFU AT&T, work on your network instead of spending all that money on spin and lobby.

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member
join:2006-07-13

iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

said by Gbcue:

STFU AT&T, work on your network instead of spending all that money on spin and lobby.
STFU T-MOBILE BUILD OUT YOUR NETWORK INSTEAD OF WASTING MONEY ON ADS.
NuShrike
join:2010-09-01

NuShrike

STFU AT&T BUILD OUT YOUR NETWORK INSTEAD OF WASTING MONEY ON ADS.

Better get in some fiber to the towers too since you got none.

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member

iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

said by NuShrike:

STFU AT&T BUILD OUT YOUR NETWORK INSTEAD OF WASTING MONEY ON ADS.

Better get in some fiber to the towers too since you got none.
Yea. These def. aint fiber speed's

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

its not

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
Glad to see AT&T's network works at least in-store, lol.

Bring that thing up my way in the "boonies" AT&T likes to call LA. Watch that baby choke and die.
NuShrike
join:2010-09-01

NuShrike to iLive4Fusion

to iLive4Fusion
Fiber starts @ around 15Mbps, going by FiOS. Then multiply by the number of users...

You're not on fiber.

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member

iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

said by NuShrike:

Fiber starts @ around 15Mbps, going by FiOS. Then multiply by the number of users...

You're not on fiber.
Fios has NOTHING to do with cellular backhaul. Each sector has to have backhaul + voice call's and enough to feed to tower load which in my area is high for both voice and data.
Big Dawg 23
join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN

Big Dawg 23 to iLive4Fusion

to iLive4Fusion
Sorry that I don't have screen capture of my G2 pulling 5.6MB Down and 1.2MB up. Better than what At&t can do.

They other day I had issues with T-Mo but found the network lit up more. So I will take T-Mo over At&t.

fiber_man
Things Happen For A Reason
Premium Member
join:2001-01-27
Port Saint Lucie, FL

fiber_man to NuShrike

Premium Member

to NuShrike
Around here all of the towers are fiber feed.

Gbcue
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
AT&T spends more money on ads still.

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member

iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

Their spending extra money here. HSPA+ is live here
This is from my iPhone not even HSPA+

Gbcue
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

Nice "Service Provider" ISP you got there and no phone information. For all I know, that's your wired internet connection.

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member

iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

said by Gbcue:

Nice "Service Provider" ISP you got there and no phone information. For all I know, that's your wired internet connection.
Wow. You just can't face the fact T-Mobile isn't the best provider, they are failing, and losing more customer's every month. AT&T is gaining. Service Provider is well known to be AT&T's wireless domain, no phone information because it came from a data card.

BTW. My wired internet connection has never been that slow.

Big Dawg 23
Northfield, MN

Big Dawg 23

Consumer Reports disagrees with you. At&T and Sprint alternate the spot for worst Coverage while Verizon and T-Mobile rotate the top spot.

Its good that At&T works for you because most other locations they suck. It they didnt have iPhone they would be screwed to the hilt. If the rumors every come true on VZW getting it AT&T will have a horrible quarter because Wall Street predictors figure on 2-3 Million customer immediately will switch to get reliable data and calls.

Come to Minnesota and you AT&T phone will not stay connected.

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member

iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

said by Big Dawg 23:

Consumer Reports disagrees with you. At&T and Sprint alternate the spot for worst Coverage while Verizon and T-Mobile rotate the top spot.

Its good that At&T works for you because most other locations they suck. It they didnt have iPhone they would be screwed to the hilt. If the rumors every come true on VZW getting it AT&T will have a horrible quarter because Wall Street predictors figure on 2-3 Million customer immediately will switch to get reliable data and calls.

Come to Minnesota and you AT&T phone will not stay connected.
CR is BS then because T-Mobile has the SMALLEST network of any carrier. Anyone to ever say anything about T-Mobile being anywhere near best coverage loses all credibility. It's widely known AT&T and Verizon have the largest network's, while Sprint and T-Mobile have the smallest. Especially with AT&T getting VZW/Alltel divestures in the midwest and other area's, and Verizon getting Alltel.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

said by iLive4Fusion:

It's widely known AT&T and Verizon have the largest network's, while Sprint and T-Mobile have the smallest.
Wat

I've never seen an area that I didn't get service in on Sprint that somehow Verizon customers did. I don't know if it's because each other allow roaming on each other's networks or not, but I always have seen Sprint/Verizon and AT&T/TMobile going down in pairs.

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member

iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

said by Thaler:

said by iLive4Fusion:

It's widely known AT&T and Verizon have the largest network's, while Sprint and T-Mobile have the smallest.
Wat

I've never seen an area that I didn't get service in on Sprint that somehow Verizon customers did. I don't know if it's because each other allow roaming on each other's networks or not, but I always have seen Sprint/Verizon and AT&T/TMobile going down in pairs.
Native network's is what I mean. Sprint has a large area with limited roaming. T-Mobile being the smallest with the least amount of network and roaming. AT&T and Verizon both having larger native networks.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

said by iLive4Fusion:
said by Thaler:
said by iLive4Fusion:

Wat

Native network's is what I mean. Sprint has a large area with limited roaming. T-Mobile being the smallest with the least amount of network and roaming. AT&T and Verizon both having larger native networks.
Sprint's native network is actually smaller than T-Mobile's.
Big Dawg 23
Northfield, MN

Big Dawg 23 to iLive4Fusion

to iLive4Fusion
Most people could give a flying rip about the boonies when it comes to coverage. CR is based on 55 top cites. As example I could careless about the state of Alabama. My coverage here is in the Top 15 market for what matters.

When I travel for work other cities are covered just fine like Orlando, Phoenix and Atlanta. I spent a day in eastern Alabama going to Auburn. I rode with a someone with At&t, T-Mobile and at the time I had VZW. The At&T person had issues with data and call drops. T-Mo and VZW ran just fine down I-85.

As for coverage I can put coverage all over the place to say I have it but if the signal is weak does it matter.... NOPE.

Glad AT&T works for you because many people hate the reliability and only keep it because of the iPhone. Besides is AT&T network was so awesome they wouldn't block apps and Facetime from the network.

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member

iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

We don't have I-85 In alabama. And AT&T didn't block facetime from the network either... Wow. Also the MAJORITY of AT&T's customer's DO NOT have the iPhone.

Geminimind
Premium Member
join:2003-12-20
Sacramento, CA

Geminimind to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
hey att and tmo what is that lound screeching/frying noise when someone calls me with your phones?

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

probably your phone

•••

delusion ftl
@tmodns.net

delusion ftl to ztmike

Anon

to ztmike
So let me get this straight. At&t claims they have hspa+ deployed to 200 soon 250 million potential customers. But has no devices to use it. None in their immediate pipeline and are not marketing it at all. So for all intents and purposes they may as well not have it. Or have waited to deploy. Companies rarely miss an opportunity like this so either At&t are incompetent, lying, or both.
They would have been better off keeping their mouth shut. Because now they look worse than they were. How are all the AT&T investors feeling right now knowing that billions were dumped into these upgrades and associated but have not been capitalized at all! How's apple feeling knowing they could have released the i4 as hspa+ since apparently it was already partially live. Amazing. Or they are just exaggerating and can claim whatever they want.

My inclination is that it's a little of both. AT&T may be installing hspa+ capabilities, but haven't completed the whole project (backhaul, switching, etc....) required to actually market and deploy.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to ztmike

to ztmike
What's funny is that AT&T is lying through their teeth here. They COVER 180 million pops with HSPA+ but AFAIK NO ONE on AT&T actually has a device capable of those speeds. AT&T only sells one or two aircards that support the spec, and out of those one is currently not even available on their website.

If you have no devices available on the network, it doesn't matter how crazy-amazing the network is.

•••••
NObama
Premium Member
join:2005-11-09
Old Hickory, TN

NObama to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
x

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN

fonzbear2000

Premium Member

To anyone who wants to put T-mobile down...

We've had them for 8 years now and have had no problems what so ever.

knewman
join:2010-10-21
King Of Prussia, PA

knewman

Re: To anyone who wants to put T-mobile down...

well i've had a single xbox 360 for 5 years, so 360s are extremely reliable.

I'm actually a very happy t-mo customer, I just hate that argument.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

Re: To anyone who wants to put T-mobile down...

having the same service for 8 years is not the same as having the same device for 8 years.

xbox is a device, not a service. it will break eventually. a service is maintained , thats what you pay for. what fonzbear2000 said makes perfect sense
bigddybn
join:2000-10-18
Stuart, FL

bigddybn

L a t e n c y say it with me.

It matters not how "fast" you think your network is. WiMax destroys HSPA in latency and as such is much snappier to browse with. This is getting just a bit stupid how biased this pathetic "comparisons" are and how quick the media wannabes are to rehash it for the mouth breathing masses.

Grab two laptops one each with wimax and hspa and start browsing. The wimax will feel like wifi. The hspa will feel like dialup.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

let's see it scale...

once the users become the type of users that the iphone has had.. until now the "smart devices" have been crap for using intensive broadband applications.. try streaming video at peak times when the subscriber base overcomes local cell sites. let's see it work in rural areas where the backbones are expensive to build-out and maintain. at least at&t has infrastructure to build out on... what does tmoble have.. fahrvergnugen? daimer chystler hood ornaments to reflect off of?

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fa ··· C3%BCgen

i'm not saying at&t is better, just compare apples to apples, which these two companies are not.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

Re: let's see it scale...

no reason to service the populace in the sticks. there is no money in it. keep your urban/suburban centers happy and you will make tons of money. let the regional carriers handle the rural folks.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby

When the footprint is tiny

When the footprint is tiny, its easier to upgrade the network.

Time
Premium Member
join:2003-07-05
Irvine, CA

Time

Premium Member

This is good.

Clash of the TMobile fanboys vs. AT&T fanboys vs. Sprint fanboys.

All we need is to get some VZW fanboys involved, and we can call it a day.

•••

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ

HarleyYac

Premium Member

New Commercial

At least to me .It is a MAC Windows take off Iphone 4 with a Fat dude on a Guys back(ATT) T Mobile is a nice looking young lady.
I got a nice chuckle

schmol
join:2001-12-26
Windsor, PA

schmol

Re: New Commercial

wait till you see the next commercial...

Hookem99
Deep In The Heart
join:2007-07-18
Pflugerville, TX

Hookem99

Works for me!

I really hate AT&T's network, but I can say, that EVERY time my buddy tries to show off his HTC EVO's '4G' speeds..... I beat him hands down with my lowly little AT&T iPhone. I don't know or really care about Tmo, but my iPhone works good for me even if AT&T's shoddy network sometimes doesn't.

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki

Premium Member

All this smack talk...

I like it! Everyone upgrading (hopefully) is a good thing no matter what service you use.

•••
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

you can't compare phones (tethering) to data cards

that totally different. Of course data cards are gonna perform a lot better.

Even Wi-Fi on my Iphone gets high ping (60-80 ms) while on my macbook it's 15 ms.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029

hmm

There is one network that might be just as good. Cablevision here is working on deploying service area wide wifi. I get access points i na lot of places right now its 3/1 BUT can go all the way to 38/15 (limits of dcosis 3 channel). They are working with a cel lcarrier to have phones that switch between wifi and cell . meaning voice calls natively on wifi.

So att and verizon should hurry up on lte before the cable carriers kick start these wifi cell phones.

Notice how all of a sudden comcast is deploying wifi also.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

Re: hmm

Not so fast, this only happens in Northeast. Midwest (Chicago) and West (Los Angeles) are pretty intact.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

I've compared...

I've been in two different Sprint stores in the last month, one is just a few blocks from where I live. I have compared speedtests right there in the store using my MyTouch 3G Slide to one of their "4G" phones. My download, upload, AND ping times are consistently better than Sprint's "4G" service, sometimes dramatically so.

When I'm out with my friends, most of whom have iPhones on AT&T, my browsing is typically much faster than theirs, even they have commented on that. Plus the fact that my phone can view all the web pages including Flash content, makes some of them jealous.
wispalord
join:2007-09-20
Farmington, MO

wispalord

Re: I've compared...

remeber t-mo network 4g is new more on it it'll get slower sprint is tested and loaded with the speeds they have
wispalord

wispalord

funny

t-mo aint even 3g where i live but i get 4g, and i bet money when the network is as loaded as the clear network it will be vastly different there testing on a new unloaded network clears has been on for years
DataDork
Premium Member
join:2008-01-13
Los Angeles, CA

DataDork

Premium Member

who cares..

For what its worth..

I compared My friends G2 with my Evo in West LA

My Evo has 1-2 4Gen Bars and his H+ had full bars..

we managed to get the same speed... roughly 2-4 mbits..

Around town, my speeds go anywhere from 2-9 Mbits on 4G..

honestly, for a phone... thats great.. but lets keep pushing to do better.. why? b/c we can.

x49j8p
@rr.com

x49j8p

Anon

Speedtests

so I got bored and decided that I was going to mess around with speedtest.net so I grabbed a tmobile ip address and I popped it into speedtest.net grabbed a few of the fastest off the list and here they are

Try and get these speeds on at&t

note that these are completely random ip addresses and I just grabbed the fastest test from each ip