spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-11-16 10:19:09: Buoyed by the recent ITU declaration that nobody is technically deploying a 4G network here in the States, T-Mobile recently kicked off a new marketing campaign proclaiming that the carrier has the "largest 4G network. ..

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8

Nothing to say because it's true

AT&T has nothing to say because what T-Mobile is saying is true; HSPA+ speeds on T-Mobile are faster than those of AT&T's.
--
My Blog 2.0
glinc

join:2009-04-07
New York, NY

Re: Nothing to say because it's true

Yea but what will they call LTE "IF" they get to launch it on T-Mo?? 5G? 6G? lol

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

They will call it whatever they want just like they are doing now.

axiomatic

join:2006-08-23
Tomball, TX

Agreed completely. Marketing departments at these telco companies has never been "called out" on their bullshit so why would anyone start now? SOSDD.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
said by Gbcue:

AT&T has nothing to say because what T-Mobile is saying is true; HSPA+ speeds on T-Mobile are faster than those of AT&T's.
True, but T-Mobile coverage is piss poor.

I'd rather have slower speeds and coverage instead of faster speeds and no coverage.

jgkolt
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

I have actually had really good coverage with T-Mobile. I think coverage really depends on the area you are in as a representation of the small area were you live is not necessarily representative of the whole coverage available.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

said by jgkolt:

I think coverage really depends on the area you are in as a representation of the small area were you live is not necessarily representative of the whole coverage available.
The problems I had with T-Mobile coverage were in Queens, NYC.

Out here in NJ it's a lot worse.

mahermusic

join:2001-07-06
U.S.A.
Reviews:
·Vonage

said by fifty nine:

said by jgkolt:

I think coverage really depends on the area you are in as a representation of the small area were you live is not necessarily representative of the whole coverage available.
The problems I had with T-Mobile coverage were in Queens, NYC.

Out here in NJ it's a lot worse.
I'm in Jersey, been with T-Mo so long my sim card actually has "VoiceStream" on it (remember them?), and I've never NOT had great reception. (I've been in Burlington, Monmouth, Mercer, Hudson and Atlantic counties)...
--
1/20/09 = The final day of our Retarded Cowboy President!

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
Have u ever taken a train trip on amtrak or driven on rural roads and highways or are u a big City interstate only person. I have both att and tmo. The poster above is correct TMO coverage is pitiful next to att's. I have 2 Blackberries and the tmo one goes SOS ( no service) 3x as much as the att one I second the motion, give me coverage and ill sacrifice the 3g/4g speed.
hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

TMO has always said and will ALWAYS be a major city provider They won't move to the smaller cities and there is a reason for that. more $$$ in the big cities.

Also unlike ATT; TMO actually takes care of their network and keeps improving it. Unlike ATT they just keep buying and buying and say the hell with the network; we don't care.
Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

said by hottboiinnc:

TMO has always said and will ALWAYS be a major city provider They won't move to the smaller cities and there is a reason for that. more $$$ in the big cities.
So they are cherry picking the more profitable markets and leaving the rest of us to rot on the vine. Hasn't this site editorialized against Verizon for doing this exact same thing? Why should T-Mo get a pass for it?

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by Crookshanks:

said by hottboiinnc:

So they are cherry picking the more profitable markets and leaving the rest of us to rot on the vine. Hasn't this site editorialized against Verizon for doing this exact same thing? Why should T-Mo get a pass for it?
Because T-Mobile isn't getting USF subsidies.
--
My Blog 2.0

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
Metropcs and cricket do the same thing. T-Mobile doesn't go around telling anybody they cover ninety something percent of the country. Verizon does, and when you tell people you have the largest network, they are going to expect it. I don't recall t-mobile advertising they are the largest provider or covers the most American's.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan
tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
Live in Salt Lake City... go outside of town and you can _easily_ be in the middle of nowhere. Often go camping and 4x4ing with friends on other networks. We always lose and regain our signals within a few seconds of each other.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
I took amtrak from western illinois to seattle and very rarely lost coverage. I had my tmo dell netbook out surfing the web, chatting for just about "the whole trip. The few spots I lost coverage, a network scan showed att missing too.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan
chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA

would not be taking an airplane cheaper and faster?

Although I live close to major traffic airports.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
AT&T has just as bad data coverage

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

said by ArrayList:

AT&T has just as bad data coverage
Really? I've had data coverage where T-Mobile has nothing.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Brighton, MA

and i've had data coverage on t-mobile where AT&T has nothing.
fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3

said by ArrayList:

That's nice.. and valid.. however, T-mobile has more of that going on than AT&T. Next non-issue??

iLive4Fusion
Premium
join:2006-07-13
said by ArrayList:

But AT&T has a much larger 3G and 3.5G network, their entire network is EDGE unlike T-Mobile.
--
2010 Ford Fusion Sport

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Brighton, MA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
·Comcast

you live in hoover alabama. AT&T decided to invest there. enjoy it. T-Mobile is investing where they will make the money back. upgrading all of those edge spots is not cost effective. I don't blame them for doing that. you can't please every customer. when I travel I hardly ever go below edge service which is just fine with me. T-Mobile is running a business. and right now that means pushing HSPA+ while pushing HSPA+ devices. that makes them the most money and keeps them in business. something that AT&T is trying to get going, but not having much luck with.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA
But I pay a hell of a lot less than my brother on att! Fot me, the tradeoff is fine.

iLive4Fusion
Premium

You pay for what you get.
--
2010 Ford Fusion Sport

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA

Right. No way in hell i would trade my HD2 w/triple boot os phone w/7 Meg internet for any amount of iphones regardless of price..

iLive4Fusion
Premium

My iPhone can pull just as fast speed's as an HD2. HD2 really isn't that impressive either. I have one.
--
2010 Ford Fusion Sport
Big Dawg 23

join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN

Have you modded the phone and flashed a custom rom and Android? I have both HD2 and G2. My HD2 with Android runs just about as fast and most new Android Phones. The screen and video is a lot nicer and any iPhone. The Retina display is over sold and is not noticeable to most people.
xrobertcmx
Premium
join:2001-06-18
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I'm up in the air on that one. I remember having periodic coverage issues with T-Mo, like every night when I got home, but AT&T has been worse because I never know when it will or won't work. It always says I have coverage, but than takes 5 minutes to bring up a site, or worse, it won't work at all.
Happened Friday when my wife and I tried to check movie showtimes on my iPhone with 3 bars and the big 3G logo showing. T-Mo at least always worked when it showed signal.
Time to try and get them to fix the Tower.
--
Retaking our country one election at a time.

jgkolt
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH
Largest coverage is noted, not fastest.
chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA
hey T-Mobile fan. Att can claim they have the largest 3G network since ITU declares EDGE also as a part of 3G (though it is really 2.5). Still Edge fullfills 3G specifications. You don't believe me, check with ITU.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Brighton, MA

ITU apparently doesn't mean anything in the United States.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

1 recommendation

said by Gbcue:

I do also believe, however, that T-Mobile is taking shots at Apple and obviously, their relationship with AT&T, and that's something that I still don't understand, why only AT&T is allowed to be the provider? (unless someone comes to Canada, then they can get an unlocked phone) The commercial clearly is copying the Apple/Windows commercials that Apple does.

Regardless, the T-Mobile chick is pretty hot, I expect sells to go up for T-Mobile. The girl, btw, is Carly Foulkes, and I think she might be single in case anyone here is interested.

--
Some of users ask me what a "Serial Port" is.
The answer is: I don't know.
Is it some kind of wine you have with breakfast?
Expand your moderator at work
flyingjoey

join:2005-11-07
Jersey City, NJ

1 edit

It's interesting to see!

I remember a couple of years (like 5) ago when T-Mo had no mobile data footprint whatsoever. Not even edge while the VZs and FONs already had EvDO up and running.

Obviously T-Mo does not have the customer base of the other 3, nor the coverage of its competitors, but nonetheless in those cities where they do operate I'm sure their customers are very happy campers.

•••

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Cool

way to hit that 5 gig cap faster (for the heavy users).

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
jaypetrello

join:2010-10-05
Fort Myers, FL

Hmmmm?

I agree that having 12mbps just pushes you to the cap faster but my concern would be the service. I had T-Mobile and AT&T and they were both very inconsistent. AT&T is launching Netflix while you can't really catch much of a signal or make a phone call and T-Mobile is launching "4G" while they have pretty limited service and resources in most places. These companies should really get towers galore out first before they bog down the stretched ones they have now. Just makes sense for the customer. Good luck......

••••••••••

W8ASA
Tieng gi vay?

join:2000-07-31
Dayton, OH

Sigh.... My HD2 phone still shows an "E"

both here at my office and at my house. T-Mobile (and the others,
of course), should somehow be held accountable for the accuracy
of their coverage maps.
--
Microwave and RF Components at www.ohiomicrowave.com

•••••

OldschoolDSL
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Indian Orchard, MA

I like T-Mobile

Their service is good & their prices are better then ATT. Although I wish they'd get more cool phones.

••••••

kevinloydw

join:2001-08-18
Gresham, OR

I used to like T-mobile, now not so much

Now not so much. That started trying to charge $14.99 for tethering. Something they advertised as included (had big signs at the local t-mobile to that effect). They had snide comments on how other networks unlimited was really limited and there's was not. Well now there's is just as limited, etc. Not a selling point...

Would have been one thing if they kept me grand fathered and started charging new people the new fee. But to get a strange screen all of a sudden saying tethering is not supported on my plan. Was happening on both my phone and laptop. Phone because I was using a different browser then built in.

I cancelled two lines with them. One I was paying $85 on and the other (son's prepaid) $15.

••••••••

airtouch25

join:2007-05-22
united state

Always the anecdotal evidence crew at work...

We all can make up stories where T-Mobile sucks and ATT doesn't or vice versa. This is the internet kids.

We also can forever replay in our minds when carrier X didn't have service in someone's grandma's basement back in 2002. And we'll keep recanting those stories as if they are valid pre 2011 for anyone who cares to read our rants.

T-Mobile covers a lot more of the US population than most give them credit for to the point of 292 million POPS. True a chunk of that is roaming and in those areas there is likely no high speed wireless network and service quality levels are not guaranteed but this applies to AT&T too. Losing service in the back of your local Super Wal-Mart doesn't mean an entire national network sucks it only sucks for you in that location.

But for the populated areas where T-Mobile's native network serves best many times they DO offer faster speeds and better call quality than AT&T. AT&T fans hate to hear this and often fight back with "T-Mobile sucks everywhere," or has no service in the sticks (where they spend .0001% of their lives) claims but that's usually because they need to justify in their minds the real reason that they pay much more $$$ per month.

Let the marketing teams have their fun. AT&T can defend herself with their own SPIN, corporate lobbyists, threats of lawsuits or even their own Luke Wilson ads. That worked with Verizon right?

••••••••

join:2010-11-18

Good speed

I also has AT&T connection..and it has good speed
ajnabi_3642

join:2010-11-19

Re: Good speed

me also use AT&T and really like its service !
--
ajnabi
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

I'm the fastest, no wait, I"M the fastest....

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=85IEmnJ-···=related