dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-11-19 13:27:32: It's been somewhat entertaining watching Frontier Communications lately, given they've been working overtime to downplay the fact that the vast majority of the company's customers still reside on frequently expensive, last-generation 1. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next
rifleman69
join:2006-04-12
Beaverton, OR

1 recommendation

rifleman69

Cuckoo

She's cuckoo! Can Frontier offer DSL to former FiOS customers who don't have the copper anymore without having to reinstall a new copper connection?

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA

1 recommendation

Chris 313

Premium Member

Smoking?

What is this idiot smoking? If I had a FiOS 50 meg connection, why would I want to downgrade to something slower for the same or only slightly less savings?

Whatever she's smoking that makes this sound like a good idea, I want me some of that!
Chris 313

1 recommendation

Chris 313 to rifleman69

Premium Member

to rifleman69

Re: Cuckoo

said by rifleman69:

She's cuckoo! Can Frontier offer DSL to former FiOS customers who don't have the copper anymore without having to reinstall a new copper connection?

I doubt it. I certainly wouldn't go back to copper if I had Fiber.
Ammler
Premium Member
join:2005-04-19
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

Ammler

Premium Member

Lisa, is that you?

I wonder if she is related to Lisa Hook at all???

Seriously???

BashATT
@alltel.net

BashATT

Anon

Not Just frontier

I see alot of "Frontier" bashing here lately and it's rather... frustrating because they are not the only one with these problems. Whats worse is the other company (ATT) has lived with these problems and admits there is a problem but refuses to address it.

AT&T in a lot of places barely has 28.8kbps internet much less DSL, at least Frontier is trying.

Yeah I know AT&T says "We are putting UVerse Everywhere" but at the same time they said in 2002 we would have DSL... Yeah right...

mr_slick
join:2003-05-22
Lynnwood, WA

mr_slick

please dont take my low speed fiber!

i only have the 15/5 connection and used to have 10/2. I dont need any faster but i sure as hell dont want to go back to an interleaved 3/.768 line! The 10/2 was the perfect price/speed point for me and now after being 'forced' to upgrade the 15/5 is not bad... Beats dsl or comcast.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

Sell FiOS business (internet & cable TV) back to Verizon

Sell FiOS business (internet & cable TV) back to Verizon.

TuxRaiderPen
A Warm Embrace
join:2009-06-02
Outer Rim

1 recommendation

TuxRaiderPen to Chris 313

to Chris 313

Re: Smoking?

Well, let's play along with her logic:

50 Mbps is roughly 1 Mbps per $1 ~ $50 so....

It sounds like a FANTASTIC deal with Frontier's DSL @ 6 - 7 Mbps costing $6.99 right!

right?

wrong...

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by TuxRaiderPen:

It sounds like a FANTASTIC deal with Frontier's DSL @ 6 - 7 Mbps costing $6.99 right!

right?

wrong...

I heard that. I remember reading a Frontier article that just about mirrors your math. I wouldn't pay for something that slow, but costs that much.
rifleman69
join:2006-04-12
Beaverton, OR

rifleman69 to NOYB

to NOYB

Re: Sell FiOS business (internet & cable TV) back to Verizon

Someone else will buy us out, could be a local-utility in the next year or two. Frontier has no idea what to do with us FiOS customers, just like I said back when this deal was first announced.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

2 recommendations

cowboyro

Premium Member

There *is* a market for slower broadband

The reality is that there are plenty of people for whom a fast connection is a waste of money. Granny has no need for 50M, she can get her email on 1.5M as well. I know plenty of people who stick with DSL although faster connections are available.
Personally I had 30/5 OOL, moved and got 18/2 through Uverse - then downgraded to 12/2 for $20 less/month. The reality is that for 99% of use there is no real-life difference when you get past the 6-7M mark.
Unless you are a heavy gamer that isn't willing to throttle down the pr0n downloads while playing or you have a family where 3-4 people have no life, anything faster than 3M will do just fine.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

She's obviously witch

She thinks she got stupid or uneducated customers because most of her service area is rural!

there is only one thing that could shake things up, mandate open line sharing at a reasonable cost to other carriers and encourage competition! But our beloved government will never do that.

In EU, they would already get heavily fined for lying and unhealthy monopolistic practices.
chgo_man99

1 recommendation

chgo_man99 to cowboyro

to cowboyro

Re: There *is* a market for slower broadband

that does not justify bumping everybody into slower speeds. Faster speeds should be encouraged and even mandated. You never know if anything comes up in next two years that requires a connection faster than 6 Mb.

And there is a plenty of applications already that utilize faster connections:

- downloading files including videos, music, programs, etc (if you download a lot there you go)
- videoconferencing
- sharing (yeah do really all those 3 people who stay in house to use internet have no life because there is a storm outside? lol)
- satellite imaging, maps (google earth, etc)
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to rifleman69

to rifleman69

Discontinue FIOS. Go back to DSL. Make business model on collect USF subsidies.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to Chris 313

to Chris 313

said by Chris 313:

What is this idiot smoking?

WOW, she's the Carly Fiorina of Telco's...
turbobuick86
join:2001-10-09
Whittier, CA

turbobuick86

Fios is nice, but things add up differently...

fios triple play for $85? add surtaxes etc., it quickly shoots to over $100. Need a couple HD dvr's, add some more. What is the realistic price for Fios triple play basic with a couple hd dvrs?
miball
join:2005-08-17
Seattle, WA

miball

Fios 20/5

I have FIOS 20/5 for $39.99, where are they getting the $50? No way would you ever convince me to go back to DSL
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

dsl would be nice back in this era, no?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· BBaHuKXM
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to chgo_man99

to chgo_man99

said by chgo_man99:

Faster speeds should be encouraged and even mandated.

Why should it be 'mandated'? Got no problem with it being encouraged but if somebody has a slow connection and is happy with it why should they be compelled by the telco or government to upgrade?

I have relatives that still use dialup even though broadband is available to them. I've offered to help them set up broadband and they want nothing to do with it. Their loss I suppose but why is this something worth getting regulatory bodies worked up over?

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to NOYB

to NOYB

Verizon doesn't want it back, that's why they sold it in the first place! How sad that I was right, Upper Management at Frontier Communications don't have a clue on all this Technology. The Average Person doesn't know or care how they get their Broadband, as long as it's cheap! It also seems that Upper Management at Frontier doesn't have a grasp on Broadband Technology, if they want to go back to Copper DSL. Even if they left the Copper there, I doubt that it's any good. The Market and the Money are not there for FiOS, and the DSL Copper route is costly too.
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer to rifleman69

to rifleman69
said by rifleman69:

Someone else will buy us out, could be a local-utility in the next year or two.

You're right and Frontier should probably make some phone calls (starting with AT&T) and see what kind of offer they could get for the fiber neighborhoods.
dynodb
Premium Member
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

dynodb to TuxRaiderPen

Premium Member

to TuxRaiderPen

said by TuxRaiderPen:

right?

wrong...

Trying to price broadband as dollars per Mbps isn't valid, and never has been. It would be like saying that a car with a 100 horsepower engine should only cost 1/3 as much as the same car with a 300 horsepower motor.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks

because it stimulates innovations.

Just like tax cuts for millionaires encourages people to invest or keep a large cash in bank accounts, which in turn is used by banks to issue loans to us on education, car payments or mortgage. It's not just investor's money or bank's profits.

Internet at the beginning was ARPNET only used for military operations but later it found use in educational institutions, later hospital networks until it got home. It was first a government project that later became privatized mainly by telcos.

I am sure they were government initiatives, mandates, not just private business and market demand that stimulated the growth of the Internet worldwide.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to Chris 313

Premium Member

to Chris 313

Re: Cuckoo

If I had fiber I would certainly go for it. The DSL tops out at 12Mb and Cable is 20Mb. I would be very happy with a 15/5 fiber connection though.

TuxRaiderPen
A Warm Embrace
join:2009-06-02
Outer Rim

TuxRaiderPen to dynodb

to dynodb

said by BBBanditRuR :

The hint is in bold.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks

said by Crookshanks:

said by chgo_man99:

Faster speeds should be encouraged and even mandated.

Why should it be 'mandated'? Got no problem with it being encouraged but if somebody has a slow connection and is happy with it why should they be compelled by the telco or government to upgrade?

I have relatives that still use dialup even though broadband is available to them. I've offered to help them set up broadband and they want nothing to do with it. Their loss I suppose but why is this something worth getting regulatory bodies worked up over?

Because it actually costs less to maintain a fiber line than a copper line, and a granny using only e-mail is not going to be overwhelmed by extra speed. That extra speed doesn't cost the ISP any money if it's not being used, so they should offer high speeds to everyone.

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

Scatcatpdx

It about profit

Verizon must be laughing on the way to the bank.
There is many hint that FIOS would be technological marvel but a business and deployment disaster. The elephant in the room Broadband Reports is ignoring is why did Verizon had a fire sale and sold it assets to Frontier after spending so much to deploy FTTH in the first place. The problem is nobody has yet figure how to deploy FTTH cheap enough to make it profitable and convince a majority of residents its a product we want to buy.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven to dynodb

to dynodb

Even then.. Let's look at actual math here..

$40 for her 7mbps (if that) DSL connection = $5.14/mbps
$90 (or $140) for a 50/20mbps FiOS connection = $1.79 (or $2.80)/mbps
..or.. $65 for a 20/20mbps FiOS connection = $3.25/mbps

Still.. the FiOS connection still is cheaper per mbps and there's no chance in hell they can shove 50mbps (let alone 20mbps) though copper with usable distance.

pjhofmann
join:2000-08-22
Argyle, TX

pjhofmann to patcat88

to patcat88

said by patcat88:

Discontinue FIOS. Go back to DSL. Make business model on collect USF subsidies.

They do that and I'll have to go back to Comcast. I have had two outages from Frontier internet service in the past 2 weeks, hope it's not a harbinger of things to come.

fibreISking
@verizon.net

fibreISking to dishrich

Anon

to dishrich

said by dishrich:

said by Chris 313:

What is this idiot smoking?

WOW, she's the Carly Fiorina of Telco's...

you're giving her too much credit... i'm thinking more along the lines of Darl McBride, former CEO of SCO which tried to sue anybody and everybody (including IBM, and, get this, their OWN customers) using linux, claiming that they owned the copyrights for it.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next