dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-11-22 12:28:21: According to a post to the Netflix blog, the company is finally announcing a broadband streaming only plan for Netflix customers, something they've been hinting at for several weeks now. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

can now may $7.99 a month?

Typo.

Other than that, streaming only option is great. Too bad cable caps are going to become more and more significant.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Re: can now may $7.99 a month?

Price list:

mjordan
join:2002-05-08
Chicago, IL

mjordan

So I guess they'll be making less money from my subscription at least.
I'll be downgrading from 3 at a time to 2 at a time to make up for the difference.
rid0617
join:2003-07-20
Greer, SC

rid0617

Me too. The service is great but there is only so much money to go around right now
Ulmo
join:2005-09-22
Aptos, CA

Ulmo

How much of this price increase is assuming people don't get the notice of price increase, and therefore don't readjust their service level?

Boogeyman
Drive it like you stole it
Premium Member
join:2002-12-17
Wasilla, AK

1 recommendation

Boogeyman

Premium Member

It looks like they are grandfathering the old prices in. I just checked my account and it said the $8.99 plan was no longer available and if I switched I wouldnt be able to get that price again. Leading me to believe that if I hadnt switched to streaming only I could have kept the $8.99 plan.

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk

Premium Member

Yep people that are signed up now are grandfathered in Yeah for us.

Why downgrade then? Your plan is not changing price wise, only if you are new or change your plan now.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by MSauk:

Yep people that are signed up now are grandfathered in Yeah for us.

Why downgrade then? Your plan is not changing price wise, only if you are new or change your plan now.

I was not grandfathered in. My price was going to go up in January.
I had been on the BD 3 out plan for around 2.5 years.

dataice
Premium Member
join:2002-10-27
Crisfield, MD

dataice

Premium Member

The e-mail I received said I would see a price increase starting in January. Some BBR users are claiming they are being grandfathered in under the old price. I've been a member on the one dvd out at a time plan for the past 2.5 years. Even with the price increase I still feel I am getting a great value, compared to what I pay for digital cable.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven

I got the same thing. Mine's going from $13.99 to $14.99. Looks like I'll be using the hell out of it instead of keeping the discs for months at a time.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon to dataice

to dataice
I got that same email yesterday. My existing plan is going up.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to MSauk

Premium Member

to MSauk
This makes me glad I signed up for the 1 dvd a month plan a little short of 2 months ago. Mine still says its $8.99. I always found it an interesting service but took a while to take the plunge.
mjordan
Chicago, IL

mjordan to Boogeyman

to Boogeyman
if that's the case, then no reason to downgrade

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to Boogeyman

Premium Member

to Boogeyman
said by Boogeyman:

It looks like they are grandfathering the old prices in. I just checked my account and it said the $8.99 plan was no longer available and if I switched I wouldnt be able to get that price again. Leading me to believe that if I hadnt switched to streaming only I could have kept the $8.99 plan.

really? maybe im reading the email wrong, but the way i read it. its a price increase with no notice before hand.
Dear (...),

We want to let you know about two important changes to the Netflix service.

1. The price of your current plan is changing from $16.99 a month to $19.99 a month. This new price will be effective with your next billing statement on or after January 2, 2011, and will be referenced in your Membership Details. With your current plan you can both instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies on your computer or TV and receive unlimited DVDs by mail.

2. We now also offer a new $7.99 a month plan which lets you instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies on your computer or TV. This plan does not include any DVDs. All the titles you can watch instantly on your current plan are also available on this new plan, and as a reminder, not all titles on DVD are available to watch instantly. This new plan is available immediately – if you'd like to switch to this new plan at any time, simply visit Your Account.

Why the changes? Our selection of TV episodes and movies available to stream has grown dramatically, and as a result most members want us to deliver unlimited movies and TV episodes two ways: streaming instantly over the internet plus DVDs by mail. The price change will allow us to continue to offer the popular plan choice of unlimited TV episodes and movies streaming instantly along with unlimited DVDs. The new plan, which does not include DVDs, is a great option for the increasing number of members who only want to watch instantly. The $7.99 a month price reflects no DVD shipping costs on this plan.

We hope you're enjoying great TV shows and movies from Netflix, and that you'll continue to enjoy Netflix on whichever plan you choose. We realize you have lots of home entertainment options, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-715-2146.

–The Netflix Team

says nothing about grandfathering, it does however say the plan is going up.

edit: added emphasis to effective date. ok i guess it IS notice in advance. but still, its dirty and underhanded to jack up the prices so the streaming only appears as a "value"

Augustus III
If Only Rome Could See Us Now....
join:2001-01-25
Gainesville, GA

Augustus III to Boogeyman

to Boogeyman
said by Boogeyman:

The price of your current plan is changing from $8.99 a month to $9.99 a month. This new price will be effective with your next billing statement on or after January 2, 2011, and will be referenced in your Membership Details. With your current plan you can both instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies on your computer or TV and receive unlimited DVDs by mail.

nonsense. hmm wait im not currently paying them. my card was declined

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to rid0617

Premium Member

to rid0617
said by rid0617:

Me too. The service is great but there is only so much money to go around right now

ill be canceling, over a dollar? sure, heres why.

i had 1 dvd out at a time, most recently i got one with a damaged envelope i couldnt return. i called them up and they said theyd send the next one in my cue. 1.5 week later they still hadent shipped it. so i upgraded to the next one up just so i could get the dang envelope. so i go to downgrade this moring and BANG im hit with a price increase either way? i dont think so. they should have givin some sort of notice so people could adjust if they wanted too. im getting no where on the phone so im filing a bbb complaint, if that dont work, screw um ill cancel and never go back.

bottom line, they should have givin notice, and a buck isnt a buck when they charge sales tax.

plus increasing all tiers just to make streaming only look cheaper is a BS tactic.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to mjordan

Premium Member

to mjordan
Same, will be downgrading from 4 -> 3.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to mjordan

Premium Member

to mjordan
I'll be downgrading from 3-at-a-time to 1-at-a-time.

Retired6
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Earth

Retired6 to mjordan

Premium Member

to mjordan
said by mjordan:

I'll be downgrading from 3 at a time to 2 at a time to make up for the difference.

And thats exactly what NetFlix wants.....to have to mail out as less dvd's as possible to save on USPS shipping fees and still make money off the customer.

aaronwt
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

1 edit

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by Retired6:

said by mjordan:

And thats exactly what NetFlix wants.....to have to mail out as less dvd's as possible to save on USPS shipping fees and still make money off the customer.

they will be paying more for mail from me now. I always sent two discs at a time back in one mailer. this is from six to twelve rentals a month. so three to six mailings. now ill be mailing back titles six to twelve times a month. So six to twelve mailings back to them now. Twice what I had before.
mjordan
Chicago, IL

mjordan to Retired6

to Retired6

said by Retired6 See Profile

I was waiting for someone to say that...

That's not true in my case though, as I was only seeing like 1 out of the three every week. Now I might just start mailing them back more often.

OHN
join:2003-02-05
Appleton, WI

OHN to FFH5

to FFH5
So I now have to pay more and in addition to waiting 28 days for new releases? I may end up dropping Netflix after all these years. New releases are available 28 days later and their stream selection has yet to show me why it was justified to make this agreement. I am also paying $1 more for Blu ray disks which also appear to be scarce. What next? Will they charge me extra for using the each device i.e. iPhone, Wii and PS3?

Riusaki
join:2000-09-14
Space

Riusaki

The 28-day wait is only limited to certain movie studios based upon agreements Netflix made with them. For example I got the Iron Man 2 blu-ray mailed out day of release.
OHN
Appleton, WI

OHN

Yeah I am aware of that. However, after making the first arrangement, other studioes were added. Recently I heard that one studio in particular is even thinking of extending it even more.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven to FFH5

to FFH5
Holy sh*t. You can have up to 8 DVD's out a month?

Damn.. Wish I would've known this earlier. Oh well.

aaronwt
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

2 edits

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by SimbaSeven:

Holy sh*t. You can have up to 8 DVD's out a month?

Damn.. Wish I would've known this earlier. Oh well.

I had the eight out dvd plan in 2000. But I stopped watching most dvds in 2005. So its only BD rentals now or streaming. Redbox will take up any slack now that I've dropped to the one out plan.
OHN
Appleton, WI

OHN

Yeah same for me.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon to FFH5

to FFH5
That kinda sucks. I mean, on the one dvd plan (which I am on) it's already not as cost effective as Redbox.

At best, if you had your queue full with a ton of movies, you get one, watch it, return it, don't get your next one for up to 3 days later. So not including the streaming movies you watch, at best you can get 8 DVD's per month since there is no delivery on Sundays.

The streaming only option is nice, but it should be priced more like the limited plan ($4.99/mo) since not all movies in their library are streamable. Even less are ones I'd actually want to watch.

- FM
Cyberian75
join:2004-03-16
Beaverton, OR

Cyberian75

I agree that $7.99 is a little too expensive -- especially since streaming contents are very limited. I was going to subscribe if it's $4.99.

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium Member
join:2002-12-05

Somnambul33t

Premium Member

said by Cyberian75:

I agree that $7.99 is a little too expensive -- especially since streaming contents are very limited. I was going to subscribe if it's $4.99.

lol $8 is one lunch a month
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
I wouldn't call this great.. I'd call it stupid to be honest.

The streaming only option, to the consumer, is a rate hike.

Subscribers used to get 2 DVDs at a time AND streaming for that price.. and the streaming library wasn't the greatest to begin with.

So now they introduce a streaming only option at the same price people used to pay and if you still want the DVDs mailed, it's a buck more?

PERSONALLY, I don't see an issue with the $1 more.. I'm sure people can find that extra buck in their budget if this service is still a value. However, that's my point in that this is going to be marketed as "a value" now. "BUT for just $1 MORE, you can have DVDs out at a time mailed to your home!" (And I'm sure, like ISPs and their bandwidth cap explaining how many emails you can view, pictures, songs, etc with that cap, they'll probably tell you about how many movies a month you can have to your home for that $1)

It's brilliant how they just snuck in a rate increase under the noses of people while getting mouth-time on "our new streaming only" plan.

••••

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA

Chris 313

Premium Member

Discounts, Ha!

Hulu goes down 2 bucks and Netflix goes up 3 bucks. Ah, well. I hope with the increase, I'll get more content. I know this announcement will make one of my friends happy who streams then she does DVDs these days.

•••

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

Need To Increase Selection

If their goal is to go to streaming only, they need to make everything on DVD available as a streaming offering.
Now the streaming is only, what, 10% of the DVD offerings?

••••••••••••••••••
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

1 edit

amungus

Premium Member

cool

I'll probably still keep my one disc at a time plan since it's nice to have the option. ...For clarification, was that "most popular tier" the one disc at a time, or one disc a month plan?

I thought the one out at a time was more popular than the once a month, and was at the price mentioned... Kind of confusing

edit:
NM - looking at MMH's screenshot, the 1 disc/mo. plan was $5, which can't be their "most popular."

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

Not that appealing

So, I save a $2.00 to get all of the same content without a DVD that I currently get now?!? How is this is a great thing? At least now, I can get a new release DVD at least 4 times a month if I have a quick turnaround. You'll never be able to watch current releases that were just released on DVD with the streaming option. It's bad enough that Netflix signed contracts with the devils so that we have to wait 28 days before the cable and satellite companies have them available on demand and even stores like blockbuster do. Sure, it's great to be able to stream that movie from 6 months ago or 15 years ago, but if I want to watch Hurt Locker, for example, this does nothing for me and I would suspect most people. I think we have reached a point where bandwidth is become more and more capable of handling home media but the content is not there yet.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy

Re: Not that appealing

said by obeythelaw:

So, I save a $2.00 to get all of the same content without a DVD that I currently get now?!?

No, you don't. Only a very small portion of the Netflix catalog is available for streaming.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

Are old plans grandfathered in ?

Click for full size
I went to Netflix to change my plan to the streaming only option and save $1.00, and was greeted by the following:
quote:
Your plan is no longer offered

You are currently on the 1 DVD out at-a-time (Unlimited) for $8.99 plan which is no longer offered. If you select a new plan, you will no longer be able to return to this plan.
Is Netflix going to allow us to stay on the old plan, old prices - grandfather us in, as long as we don't change plans?

••••
Randall_Lind
join:2004-01-24
Saint Petersburg, FL

Randall_Lind

Would have been nice to get a email.............

I learn of the price increase on twitter which sent me to sites like this. I switch to all streaming they have a lot. It not like 5 years ago or whatever where it was a handful.

I still think it would have been nice for them to email about the changes. They do when they ask when my disc arrive.

••••

Defiance
Computer Elite
Premium Member
join:2002-09-11
Minocqua, WI

Defiance

Premium Member

hmm

I still don't see a reason why they are increasing the prices. It makes no sense. It's bs if you ask me. There should be no reason at all to increase them.

•••

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Wondering if I should still stick with it

As a subscriber since 11/99, I'm a bit worried about this. I'm hesitant to downgrade the size as I'm actually on a grandfathered 4-out plan (3-out price.) I hope there isn't also a concurrent increase in the BluRay add-on I already have.

As others have mentioned, the 28-day delay on disks (which may increase if the studios get their way), and the lack of recently released movies on streaming (beyond a few independents) make the cost increase hard to swallow. Add in only 720p, no surround audio, no CC, no extras, and streaming looks more and more like less of a deal.

Sadly, those people for whom streaming is not an option due to strict limits or unavailabilty are doubly screwed.

•••

Capthis805
@charter.com

Capthis805

Anon

Programing and charter

This would be fine and dandy if it wasnt for the shitty

selection and no 5.1 to my 360. Even if that changes I still have no other provider option other than charter who is now strictly enforcing caps..

aaronwt
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

They will now be getting less money from me

I was on the 3 out at a time with BD for $19.99 a month.

Now I just switched to the 1 out at a time with BD for $11.99 a month. So they will be getting $8 less a month from me now.
I would have never even changed if the prices didn't go up so much.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven

Re: They will now be getting less money from me

Should've waited until the "Grandfathered" plan ended, then switch.
cdbma
join:2003-01-19
Bolton, MA

cdbma

same old, same old

And how is this any different than ISPs, cell companies and cable providers? They build up a base with aggressive pricing and then stick it to the subscribers. I would assume that they've run the financials on churn and still think they'll be ahead. I'm not quite there with the streaming thing. I need a better computer and I'm not sure how to deal with the audio. I don't want to give up good audio.

I see many of you voting with your wallets. That's how to do it!

•••

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

motoracer

No thanks Netflix

Dropping Netflix....I don't want their crappy selection of streaming movies.
nickycoco1
join:2003-08-17
Berwyn, IL

nickycoco1

payment

WHY IS EVERYONE SAYING may , it is pay 8.99
ctech99
join:2010-02-16

ctech99

How about a DVD Only/No Streaming Plan?

My grandma is old and is in a home, I pay for her NetFlix plan and she gets DVDs mailed directly to her nursing home. I don't use the streaming at all, I should there for get a discount!!!

Yea I wish..
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Re: How about a DVD Only/No Streaming Plan?

said by ctech99:

My grandma is old and is in a home, I pay for her NetFlix plan and she gets DVDs mailed directly to her nursing home. I don't use the streaming at all, I should there for get a discount!!!

Yea I wish..

actually at one point they didn't have streaming. It was added as an extra feature so no discount needs to be given.
rmdir
join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL

rmdir

Lack of titles

For heavens sake, if they are going to offer half the DVD selections, then charge me half the price. I don't necessarily expect the newest releases immediately for streaming, but why is it I want to watch a movie that's 4 or 5 years old and it's not available? For $4 a month I wouldn't expect much, but for $8 per month I'd expect more. This deal stinks, they aren't offering a lot, they are just asking a lot.

aaronwt
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

Re: Lack of titles

said by rmdir:

For heavens sake, if they are going to offer half the DVD selections, then charge me half the price. I don't necessarily expect the newest releases immediately for streaming, but why is it I want to watch a movie that's 4 or 5 years old and it's not available? For $4 a month I wouldn't expect much, but for $8 per month I'd expect more. This deal stinks, they aren't offering a lot, they are just asking a lot.

I think $8 a month is a superb deal for streaming only. Of course it depends on how much you use it. But I find alot of Netflix streaming content worth watching.
sheureka
join:2002-09-28
Bisbee, AZ

sheureka

Re: Lack of titles

said by aaronwt:

I think $8 a month is a superb deal for streaming only.

Me too! I have a Roku in the bedroom and a PS3 in the living room and I can always find something interesting to watch. I just saved $1 by changing my plan. - sheureka

txrocks
Whatever
Premium Member
join:2005-01-21
Mckinney, TX

txrocks

Premium Member

Number of devices

Do any of these changes affect the number of simultaneously connected devices?

If not it still sounds good to me... I hate DVD's!!!
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Re: Number of devices

said by txrocks:

Do any of these changes affect the number of simultaneously connected devices?

If not it still sounds good to me... I hate DVD's!!!

It says 6 on the website

XcceLL
join:2004-03-16
Bogart, GA

XcceLL

Netflix

Now they are just getting greedy like all the other corporations. Ugg!
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

What people aren't getting

If you have the 1 DVD option you can what maybe get 15 movies in a month max? That was $9 for $8 you can stream thousands of movies. Well the studius aren't going to make much money that way. This is why you arn't going to see as much newer movies via streming. even the 4 DVD plan olny allows what maybe 60 movies a month and that's $28. Unless the streaming only prices goes up and the studios that that extra money or Netflix offers a PPV option for the newer movies( say 1 year or less on DVD ) then donn't expect to se much newer content.
mgamer20o0
join:2003-12-01
Norwalk, CA

mgamer20o0

browsing

at least making browsing movies for streaming better lol come on now

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

Re: browsing

I'm surprised this option gained popularity in Canada - the black hole of Telecom. According to the Robellus Cartel (the incumbent telcos, controlling 95% of the mobile and Internet markets), 60GB a month is all you need unless you download Linux-kiddie-torrent-porn over the worldwide interwebz. The CRTC (our version of the FCC) wholeheartedly agrees. Since most independent ISP's have to use at least their last mile, the same restrictions cover pretty much every Internet user in this country. By the way, we're also one of the world's leaders in mobile pricing.. The only country that's more expensive than us is Uganda, but we'll catch up to them. The Robellus Cartel is doing a lot of greasing and the people who make decisions there are former Robellus execs.
page: 1 · 2 · next