dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-12-01 08:49:05: It's time for another round of cable price hikes, The Oregonian noting that Comcast has started first sending out rate hike notices in Oregon, where Comcast's "Digital Starter" standard cable plan will see a price hike of around 5. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
ShellMMG
join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI

ShellMMG

And they wonder why

After fifteen years with DirecTV, I cancelled yesterday. They didn't try all that hard to retain me, offering me 6 month price reduction. Thanks but no thanks. The increases brought my non- HD service with just one DVR receiver up to $69.99.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

when

is it going to become a monthly rate hike?

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

1 recommendation

N3OGH

Premium Member

Re: when

Be careful what you wish for....

kataan
Premium Member
join:2003-04-22
Greenacres, WA

kataan

Premium Member

Time to downgrade,

Guss I will be need to call Comcast an downgrade to economy internet. Already downgraded the phone to local and more and canceled TV. If they keep this crap up I will cancel everything!
SLC_231
join:2010-08-03
Salt Lake City, UT

SLC_231

Re: Time to downgrade,

said by kataan:

Guss I will be need to call Comcast an downgrade to economy internet. Already downgraded the phone to local and more and canceled TV. If they keep this crap up I will cancel everything!

Comcast Digital Voice is expensive - you can get an independent VOIP service (check the VOIP forum here) and pay far less than what Comcast wants.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

Keep the performance package. If you downgrade too low, you wont like even browsing, it will be too slow with many www websites using flash or scripts.

kataan
Premium Member
Greenacres, WA

kataan

Premium Member

I live on a fixed income. I am permanently disabled. If you are volunteering, i would be more than happy to accept!, you paying my Comcast bill. Thank you
chgo_man99
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

Switch to DSL at $15 or $20 price tag.

P.S. Or find a roommate, split bills. If there is only one bedroom, make the living room bedroom.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

said by chgo_man99:

Switch to DSL at $15 or $20 price tag.

Don't forget the $20 or so in line charges and BS Unfees!
chgo_man99
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

no they do provide dry-dsl at that price. You'll be paying in extra fees probably no more than $5.

kataan
Premium Member
Greenacres, WA
Buffalo WZR-1750DHPD

3 edits

kataan to chgo_man99

Premium Member

to chgo_man99
Much closer to $45 on Qwest with 1.5/384. I am stuck between comcast and Qwest.

edit: For 1.5/896 for 6 months it is 49.99 plus tax, dry-line is 40.00 plus tax.

After 6 months it is $50.00 plus tax. dry-ling is $40 plus tax. Then you must rent the modem at $5.00 a month or buy it a $ 20.00.

Even Comcast does not F#ck you that bad.

P.S. This is the slowest tier that Qwest offers.
kataan

kataan to chgo_man99

Premium Member

to chgo_man99
I don't mean to be a jerk or any thing, but you are assuming that prices are great hear. The are not. They may be good where you live, but they are atrocious hear and I am sure that there are places where there prices are much higher than here.

All in all do research before you post.

Nikki
@comcast.net

Nikki to SLC_231

Anon

to SLC_231
To add to the that downgrading Comcast Digital Voice to an independent VOIP carrier, the consumer must understand that 'independent VOIP' depends on another carrier's internet service. If you downgrade to internet only, you will pay about $65 for performance and about $45 for economy internet.
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

mob (banned)

Has it really been

Six weeks?

hambone42
Peace, through superior firepower
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Manassas, VA

hambone42

Premium Member

Neither shocked nor surprised...

Straw, meet the camel's back...(snap!)

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

didn't they just???

Extort a bunch of money from Netflix?
old_wiz_60
join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA

old_wiz_60

Just wait..

until comcast and NBC merge; then the rates will go up again. And imagine how much the rates for NBC content will go up for non-Comcast cable companies! I'd expect them to at least double the rates if they even offer the content.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

If I become unemployed....

The TV will be the first to go if i lose my job. Yes ladies and gentlemen, I love watching Discovery Channel, History Channel, the Military Channel, and all the live sporting events in true HD. I have watched streaming alternatives to these stations and I hate the quality and especially the reliability of the sporting events online. Mainly because they are streamed illegally. Nothing replaces true 1080i HD quality that I get through any of the providers out there.

If you are still thinking about dropping cable TV, then call Comcast and say you are disconnecting your service. They will give you an incentive to stay. Ask my parents and the dozens of others who call into comcast every 6 months. My parents haven't paid full price for Comcast service in over 5 years.

tlylework
@steadfast.net

tlylework

Anon

Re: If I become unemployed....

I do not have Comcast, but I can only imagine this means an increase for me on Uverse as well. I guess I'll be getting me a digital Antenna soon. OTA is much cheaper.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by tlylework :

I do not have Comcast, but I can only imagine this means an increase for me on Uverse as well. I guess I'll be getting me a digital Antenna soon. OTA is much cheaper.

If I could only get ESPN, FSD, and other networks that show live sporting events OTA.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to tlylework

Premium Member

to tlylework
said by tlylework :

I guess I'll be getting me a digital Antenna soon. OTA is much cheaper.

Get it while you can. I know AT&T, Comcast, and the likes have lobbyists trying to get OTA taken off the air.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Nightfall

MVM

said by Robert:

said by tlylework :

Get it while you can. I know AT&T, Comcast, and the likes have lobbyists trying to get OTA taken off the air.

OTA is not going away anytime soon. The basic networks, CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox all make money off advertising OTA. They would need to sign exclusive deals that pay them through the nose to make it worthwhile to shut down OTA broadcasts.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by Nightfall:

said by Robert:

said by tlylework :

OTA is not going away anytime soon. The basic networks, CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox all make money off advertising OTA. They would need to sign exclusive deals that pay them through the nose to make it worthwhile to shut down OTA broadcasts.

And you think NBC will be OTA once Comcast buys them?

LeftOfSanity
People Suck.
join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE

LeftOfSanity

said by Robert:

Do you really think it won't?

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by LeftOfSanity:

said by Robert:

Let's wait and see then.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Nightfall

MVM

said by Robert:

said by LeftOfSanity:

said by Robert:

Let's wait and see then.

OTA isn't going anywhere. Anyone stating otherwise really is "chicken little". There is no evidence it will be disappearing.

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium Member
join:2003-02-20
Salisbury, NC

Chiyo to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
Do you have any sources on that? Would be a very interesting read.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

If you are still thinking about dropping cable TV, then call Comcast and say you are disconnecting your service. They will give you an incentive to stay. Ask my parents and the dozens of others who call into comcast every 6 months. My parents haven't paid full price for Comcast service in over 5 years.

This seems to be market-specific. A lot of people I know who've tried it actually had Comcast call their bluffs.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by pnh102:

said by Nightfall:

This seems to be market-specific. A lot of people I know who've tried it actually had Comcast call their bluffs.

Actually, its customer care specific. Comcast calls your bluff, make your disconnect date 2 weeks out because "your satellite dish will be installed then". Call back next day, get a new rep, try again.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

said by Nightfall:

The I'll quit and go elsewhere only works where Comcast knows the customer has viable cost effective alternatives like Verizon Fios. If your options are 1.5 mbps DSL & DirecTV, they are liable to call your bluff.
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to Nightfall

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

Not in my case. They told me if I left then that's your prerogative. It wasn't until I actually cancelled service that they called me asking why I left.

hui
@comcast.net

hui to Nightfall

Anon

to Nightfall
1080p is better

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by hui :

1080p is better

No one is broadcasting in 1080p except for a few On Demand movie channels.

voipnpots2
join:2010-11-15
U.S.

voipnpots2

RE

Wow, when I read that Comcast lost 275,000 customers last quarter, I couldn't believe it. I thought Comcast was doing well, especially considering I see about 10 of their commercials a day on TV (and I only watch TV a few hours a day). The only way to make these services worth it is to bundle. Even if the bundle price goes up, it will still be cheaper than getting the same services from different providers. If you downgrade completely, like to basic cable, local calling, and under 1mbps internet, then you'll probably be saving, but who wants that?
saratoga66
join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

saratoga66

Re: RE

said by voipnpots2:

Wow, when I read that Comcast lost 275,000 customers last quarter, I couldn't believe it. I thought Comcast was doing well, especially considering I see about 10 of their commercials a day on TV (and I only watch TV a few hours a day). The only way to make these services worth it is to bundle. Even if the bundle price goes up, it will still be cheaper than getting the same services from different providers. If you downgrade completely, like to basic cable, local calling, and under 1mbps internet, then you'll probably be saving, but who wants that?

Comcast DIDN'T loose 275,000 TV customers last quarter. Comcast lost 275,000 Basic video customers last quarter but they gained 219k Digital video customers so their net loss was 56,000 video customers. This is the first quarter in a while that they actually lost video customers. They have had a steady loss of basic customers for quite some time but they have also had a steady gain in digital video customers. In the first 3 quarters of this year they have gained 1,916,000 customers (TV, HSI, CDV).

I'm not trying to defend Comcast or their rate increases but I'm tired of the news reports reporting totally false information.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Re: RE

said by saratoga66:

said by voipnpots2:

Comcast DIDN'T loose 275,000 TV customers last quarter. Comcast lost 275,000 Basic video customers last quarter but they gained 219k Digital video customers so their net loss was 56,000 video customers. This is the first quarter in a while that they actually lost video customers. They have had a steady loss of basic customers for quite some time but they have also had a steady gain in digital video customers. In the first 3 quarters of this year they have gained 1,916,000 customers (TV, HSI, CDV).

I'm not trying to defend Comcast or their rate increases but I'm tired of the news reports reporting totally false information.

It all get confused in the press because numbers quoted in qtrly earnings reports often refer to RGUs(Revenue Generating Units) and not households. A household may have 4 RGUs(Basic TV, Digital TV upgrade, VOIP, Internet). Almost nowhere will Comcast ever publish whether they are gaining or losing HOUSEHOLDS.

So Comcast trumpets how many Digital TV upgrades they have gained or how many internet subscriptions or how many new voice subscriptions. They have been avoiding reporting that while RGUs have been increasing, they are servicing FEWER households.

It is that number that is troubling for Comcast in the long run and why their stock price hasn't risen consistently. They aren't fooling Wall St with their bragging about RGUs. If households serviced keeps dropping, RGUs will eventually start dropping as well.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

Not just Comcast.

My TWC RR (Internet) is going up by two bucks AGAIN. I just had a price hike a few months ago! Everyone is going UP! [sighs]

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

1 edit

IowaMan

Premium Member

Re: Not just Comcast.

Yep, Got a notice last month from Mediacom.
Just the Broadcast Local package is $27.95 + Internet at $29.95
(But I still give them my business due to there presence on this site for support)
Dr Gary
join:2001-01-13
Geneva, IL

1 recommendation

Dr Gary

But our Government says...

That there is NO INFLATION....so this cannot be true...right?

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Re: But our Government says...

said by Dr Gary:

That there is NO INFLATION....so this cannot be true...right?

Thank you. How long has the government been able to get away with this outright lie anyway?
digitlman
join:2009-12-29
Cary, NC

digitlman

I was in Philly recently....

And of course, there's the new, GIANT Comcast building.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co ··· uilding)

They gotta pay for this thing some how!

•••••
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

It's not just Oregon...

Internet prices are going up $5 on 1/1/11 here, and modem rentals are going up $2 on top of that. So "Economy" internet will be a whopping $47 per month if you rent a modem/router from Comcast. Utterly ridiculous. Performance will be $67 according to the new schedule ($60 without modem rental) and Blast will be $77. The price for the 50M tier is going to $115 + modem rental though (same $122 as before the change if you rent a modem).

»www.denverpost.com/busin ··· 16746620
iansltx

iansltx

Re: It's not just Oregon...

With the increases, the delta between internet-with-TV/Phone and Internet-Without-TV/Phone pricing is $13-$15, up from $10-$12. Ick.

MonkeyLick78
join:2002-01-27
Hixson, TN

MonkeyLick78 to iansltx

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

Internet prices are going up $5 on 1/1/11 here, and modem rentals are going up $2 on top of that. So "Economy" internet will be a whopping $47 per month if you rent a modem/router from Comcast. Utterly ridiculous. Performance will be $67 according to the new schedule ($60 without modem rental) and Blast will be $77. The price for the 50M tier is going to $115 + modem rental though (same $122 as before the change if you rent a modem).

»www.denverpost.com/busin ··· 16746620

Just goes to show what lack of competition gets you. I'm sure my area will have very little changes in the way of prices. I think the modem rental fee is still $3 here. Buying your own modem seems to be the only way to go for you guys.

oknow56
@comcast.net

oknow56

Anon

Ok

Wow if all would stop whining, if you don't like Comcast, just SWITCH to FIOS..... it's REALLY SIMPLE!

•••
dubenezic
join:2004-05-06
Elizabeth, NJ

dubenezic

I hate Comcast

I wish I was in a cablevision area. They are the less of the two evils.
ebubman
join:2002-01-17
Mechanicsburg, PA

1 edit

ebubman

comcast who?

20+ year comcast customer who got increasingly sick of the exorbitant & frequent comcast rate hikes. we just moved to a new home & are enjoying verizon fios which gives us faster internet & better hd tv for less money (rate locked for 2 years) than the greedy ogres at comcast.

JE
JE 's BACK BABY
Premium Member
join:2000-12-15
Charlotte, NC

JE

Premium Member

Hmmmm..Employees

Hmmm I wonder if any of the low-level employees who work the phones and take all the backlash are the beneficiaries of any of these increases? NOPE! $0.25-$.0.50 yearly increases sounds more like it.
So where does all that money go then, you might ask? Rather WHO gets all the money?

But yet the companies always say without the low-level employees, they can't survive...lmao!
iT'S ALL SMOKE AND MIRRORS.

EnasYorl
Thieves World
join:2001-12-02
West
·Ziply Fiber
Motorola MB8600
Netgear RAX15
Asus RT-AC66

EnasYorl

Yep.

»www.hulu.com/

»www.netflix.com/

»www.google.com/search?q= ··· nline+tv

options grow each day.
JerryTimes
join:2002-01-09
Clinton Township, MI

JerryTimes

What about their competitions yearly rate hikes? All the companies do it every year.
mtechtalk
join:2009-07-06
Allentown, PA

mtechtalk

Can't afford their prices anymore

I had an introductory rate of about $75 a month for digital starter TV (no HD except QAM stuff) and internet that clocked at 20mbps/4mbps up. However now that the promotion is over I see my bill at $130 which is just inexcusable. I've already called in a DSL line for $29.99 a month that's guaranteed to be at least 4Mbps up to 10Mbps and I've downgraded my cable to just the basic channels. If Comcrap raises the rates on that, then I'll disconnect completely and go Netfilx/Hulu.

I've been out of work for a while and the $75 a month wasn't cheap but we could handle it, now that it's a little less than double that, it's not even an option. Goodbye Comcast, you lost another one.
page: 1 · 2 · next