spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-12-02 13:30:53: The last twenty-four hours have seen a renewal in the cap and meter billing debate, after investors like Craig Moffett proclaimed the FCC's new neutrality rules are a giant green light for the kind of low cap, high overage pricing models cable execs .. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Murdoc
Premium
join:2009-02-08
Manitowoc, WI

1 recommendation

These are the low lifes....

that you people are paying with this bi annual rate hikes. Lobbying is unamerican.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1

What a crock

Innovation?

Bullshit . . . plain and simple.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to Murdoc

Re: These are the low lifes....

Shouldn't lobbying be illegal? Look at it. Its fucking up shit left and right. Its almost like buying votes.
--
»sites.google.com/site/duramax08/

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast

Lower Tiers may Attract Less Technical Savvy and Raise Costs

If you introduce lower price tiers you may attract less technically savvy people signing up and ultimately driving support prices up as these are the folks who will call support for EVERY little issue service related or not.
--
Rich. My Website

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Usage based pricing is coming for good or ill

Usage based pricing is coming. The minute companies started offering legal HD video over the Internet and P2P systems made it easy to download copyrighted content illegally, the die was cast.

The only thing up for discussion now is what form UBP will take. The fairest method would involve some flat connect fee(say $10 or 15) and then a standard cost per GB. The more GB you use, the more you pay.

But if customers just can't accept that pricing model, then we will end up with a tiered usage based system instead of the current tiered speed based system. One flat fee up to 10 GB; another flat fee up to 25GB; another flat fee up to 50GB; etc.

Another potential benefit of usage based pricing could be the end of cable modem configuration files that limit speeds since pricing would no longer be based on speed tiers.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to meskinct

Re: Lower Tiers may Attract Less Technical Savvy and Raise Costs

The personal computer's price has steadily gone down despite non-tech savvy people buying them.

In fact I would say that it is because more people are buying them.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to FFH

Re: Usage based pricing is coming for good or ill

The die was cast long before legal HD downloads became available.

ruraltn

join:2008-05-16
reply to Duramax08

said by Duramax08:

Shouldn't lobbying be illegal? Look at it. Its fucking up shit left and right. Its almost like buying votes.

When the industry that the lobbyist champions donates to political campaigns, it is buying votes.

Gami00

join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to FFH

except, your ISPs will take a page out of canada's book, and still do speed tiers PLUS UBB/caps...

Cole

@tds.net
reply to ruraltn

lobbying isn't unamerian

the problem is that the politicians want to stay in office and the easiest way to win a campaign is with money, so they listen to and some even pander to, big $$$ lobbyists so they get large campaign contributions. many consumer rights (non-profit) organizations use lobbyists, but are not as effective because they cannot "donate" as much to a campaign as the private special interests. remove the need for politicians to sell themselves and you will likely see a change in behavior - problem is a 100% publicly funded campaign system has many issues to work through.

Storage_Guy

join:2006-04-30
Benton Harbor, MI

In the long run all I see high per GB overage models doing is pushing customers to lower tiers, or at lease it does for me.

For our house it's simple, we have two Xboxs that we use to stream Netflix mostly in HD, we have no cable television. On average between Netflix, the Internet, and everything else we do we consume about 9GB of data a day. I pay about $45 a month for a 7mbps Time Warner cable connection which is about the most I am willing to pay.

If my internet connection cost at my current consumption level goes over $60 I will go to the basic $19.99 768kbps connection which is enough to surf the Internet, play Xbox live, and I will get DVDs in the mail.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

UBB is BS

It costs an ISP to increase capacity/bandwidth (more bits per second) or to enlarge its footprint (more customers to serve), both of which are paid for--over and over again--by the current monthly fees. It costs an ISP no more to transmit 1 GB than it does to transmit 1 MB; whether you "consume" 250GB or 25GB, your "cost" to the ISP is the same. In fact, over time--as equipment is upgraded--it costs the ISP less. And we're supposed to pay more for increasing their profit margin? Yeah, right. UBB is not PAYG. If my ISP institutes as PAYG plan, that's fine. If, however, my ISP institutes a UBB plan, I'll drop them like the hot turd they are. I won't pay extra to be ripped off.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

bye cableco

cable companies have been taking their customers for granted for far too long. Verizon and AT&T will gladly take them off the cablecos' hands. so, good luck in this quest to gouge the consumer. the other guys (telcos) have big brother watching over their shoulder, so don't think that the cablecos can goad them into futher price/service collusion because it's NOT going to work.

try REAL innovation, that fake spray-on stuff gets real messy at the customer service line with consumers cancelling acounts in droves.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to Gami00

said by Gami00:

except, your ISPs will take a page out of canada's book, and still do speed tiers PLUS UBB/caps...

That's exactly what they'll do.

But to comment on the parent, you can't completely do away with cable modem speed restrictions. If you uncapped the modems, a few people downloading large files would overload a node and prevent anyone else from getting much data at all.

And you can bet that, if people have unused data near the end of their billing cycle, they're sure as hell going to use it...unless caps are set so low that everyone goes over.

ToiletMint

join:2009-12-07
Pine River, MN
reply to GlennAllen

Re: UBB is BS

^ What he said!

I know first hand what it takes to implement capacity improvements while working for TDS telecom, and I can tell you that leasing a light-wave from ATT is not that bad considering.

What I see happening here is that Online services like Netflix, GoogleTV, Hulu, will work with company's like Level 3 and make it a nightmare for the On and Off ramps like Comcast/time Warner.

Lets see how fast the internet goes when you have to go around major back-hauls.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

Muni fiber, anyone?

If the cable companies aren't careful, they're going to encourage even more cities to look at muni fiber. Right now, the thing that's keeping interest in check is the view by many that their Internet service is, if not spectacular, at least good enough. And, for the most part, Internet subscription charges haven't skyrocketed the way cable TV has. If that ever changes, look for the natives to get restless.

Still, I think the cable companies are going to try. IMHO, just like the studios, these companies are interested in either increasing profits or of killing off potential competitors, even if that strategy is incredibly shortsighted. What they don't seem to get is the pursuit of ever-increasing profits isn't always the smartest course of action because it angers customers, who will start looking for ways to shrink or even eliminate their bills. It's very possible to price yourself right out of the market, a fact that these guys choose to ignore.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to ISurfTooMuch

said by ISurfTooMuch:

And you can bet that, if people have unused data near the end of their billing cycle, they're sure as hell going to use it...unless caps are set so low that everyone goes over.

Unless they have "Rollover MBs", which I really doubt it.

I'm betting that the Internet will see much less usage if this crap passes. That means the ISP's won't have to upgrade anything anytime in the future and more money in their pocket.
--
Bresnan 18M/1M
MyWS[E5200@3.75GHz,4GB RAM,2x1TB HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2GHz,2GB RAM,120GB HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1GHz,512MB RAM,18GB HDD,SMC 8432BTA,2xDigital DE504,Compaq NC3131,Intel Pro/1000MT,IBM Gigabit Ethernet-SX,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,Gentoo Linux]

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to ISurfTooMuch

You obviously do not understand networking then. As the network will work no different if it was working at 10% utilization or 90% utilization. Therefore 1 person, is not going to eat up all the bandwidth from all the network so others can't use it. No worse then you do at any company that has hundreds/thousands of user's going through a 100MB pipe.

If anything, line speed would allow any and all users to get what they need and get off the network quicker, regardless of what it is. And per byte billing would bring down the overall usage as extreme users start going into the high end $$ tiers.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

The only thing up for discussion now is what form UBP will take. The fairest method would involve some flat connect fee(say $10 or 15) and then a standard cost per GB. The more GB you use, the more you pay.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

You know that will NEVER happen. Flat connect will be what it is now and go way up from there.

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium
join:2002-04-30
Brooklyn, NY

It sucks but

They can only get away with what we let them. They can charge whatever we want, but if we don't pay, they don't profit.

1 month boycott of residential cable Internet. I wonder how that would look on the earnings report.

JasonOD

@comcast.net

Boycott one month of what? Usage? They won't care and would benefit from it. Canceling the service and then renew? Way too much trouble. Refuse to pay one months bill? Good luck with the FICO hit.

mexicali100

join:2010-01-04
Schenectady, NY

1 recommendation

I've read my last "ISPs Suck" headline.

I'm not offended, just bored with reading the same thing over and over again. Goodbye DSLReports. I'm deleting you from my iGoogle page. Good luck in the future.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to tmc8080

Re: bye cableco

Then why aren't Verizon and AT&T deploying gigabit fiber to your house?

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to mexicali100

Re: I've read my last "ISPs Suck" headline.

I must have missed the "ISPs suck" article amongst all of the "cord cutting revolution" articles.

sltevis

join:2010-08-25
Ephrata, PA

Cut it

I canceled my cable Monday. I have Windstream DSL (no cap) broadband 6 mbps. I put up an antenna and get about 8 channels. I watch Netflix and also subscribe to Hulu plus. I am a cable cutter, you can be too.

MonkeyLick78

join:2002-01-27
Hixson, TN

1 recommendation

reply to ISurfTooMuch

Re: Muni fiber, anyone?

Yeah, I could see a strong increase in Muni Fiber if they tried this. It could be the silver lining in the coming storm.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39
reply to mexicali100

Re: I've read my last "ISPs Suck" headline.

Don't think I've ever said "ISPs suck," though I have been known to note that lobbyists and ISP marketing departments suck. Frequently. When you've got a top lobbyist claiming that charging consumers $5 per gigabyte is about helping the poor, I think it's newsworthy to point that out and deconstruct the false claim.

Sorry you disagree, and hope you'll return sometime.

MonkeyLick78

join:2002-01-27
Hixson, TN
reply to sltevis

Re: Cut it

said by sltevis:

I canceled my cable Monday. I have Windstream DSL (no cap) broadband 6 mbps. I put up an antenna and get about 8 channels. I watch Netflix and also subscribe to Hulu plus. I am a cable cutter, you can be too.

That's more than enough entertainment for any normal person. I'm Netflix all the way and don't miss a bit of it. I absolutely despise commercial TV.

ShellMMG

join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI
reply to sltevis

I cancelled our DirecTV on Tuesday, after 15 years. I'm limited to VZW but am trying to get the local WiMAX guys to call me back.

ksharp25

join:2010-09-24
Middletown, PA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US

Did no one else think this?

You know...for months now I have been reading this site and stop the cap (www.stopthecap.com) and others about topics like these. What kills me is that every time an ISP or cable operator tries to justify usage based billing, the default to the stance that a lower cap = lower price to get to socio-economically (poor, welfare, etc) areas increasing cable penetration.

Because yea...NOT ONE of those poor families own Xbox 360s or would ever have even heard of Netflix and YouTube to attempt to use a newly acquired broadband connection to do what everyone else uses with it. Right? Or....wait.....

Does no one else even consider that when saying caps are good?