dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-12-10 17:05:04: As we noted back in April, the FCC has partnered with broadband testing firm SamKnows with the goal of getting more accurate ISP performance data. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx

TamaraB

Premium Member

I smell a rat!

If the FCC isn't going to actually do ANYTHING, then these Router taps amount to nothing more than more spying by Uncle Sam!

What's the point of collecting data, when you are not going to use it for anything useful?

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA

thedragonmas

Premium Member

and those that applyd and where denied never know

i applyd, did the speed test, and havent heard JACK from them. tryd to reapply since my speed upgrade and the stupid thing wont let me.

netwire
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Dallas, NC

1 recommendation

netwire

Premium Member

Ironic

It is ironic that the FCC partnered with a firm called SamKnows...

dks7
join:2004-05-31
Omak, WA

dks7

Screw the FCC just another way to SPY on everyone.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to netwire

Premium Member

to netwire
FFC and Uncle Sam knows what you be lurking at on the interwebs! :P

I signed up. Gona hook it up to my clear modem that I dont even use anymore. My clear internet is crap anyways.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

ISurfTooMuch to TamaraB

to TamaraB

Re: I smell a rat!

If they were going to inject spying software into the firmware, then they wouldn't do it this way. They'd inject it into the stock firmware at the manufacturer. Or, better yet, they'd monitor the backbones. Oh yeah, they already are.

My guess is that they're going to get the data back from these things and then report that, although bandwidth isn't always up to what's promised, it's close enough. Then they'll ask the ISP's to do better, the ISP's will say they'll try, and not a damn thing will change.
pbeaudet
Premium Member
join:2005-03-02
Burney, CA

pbeaudet

Premium Member

I have it Running

My Samknows black box has been running for about a month. Frontier needs all the testing it can get. Whether this box will do it is an open question.

It consistently gets higher uploads and downloads results that other tests don't.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

ISurfTooMuch to dks7

to dks7

Re: Ironic

And you think they need these modded routers to do that??? If so, you haven't been reading the news for the past few years. Besides, as I said above, mailing out a relatively small number of routers isn't a very efficient way to do spying. You either inject your sniffer into the stock firmware at the manufacturer level, and/or you monitor the backbone (as they've been doing for at least a few years now).

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to ISurfTooMuch

News Guy

to ISurfTooMuch

I'm fairly sure that a government that has compliance of all major phone companies to deliver data/voice wholesale to the NSA don't need to inject crapware into a piddly 20k routers being tracked by a UK monitoring firm.

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu

MVM

Why do they need to provide a router?

Why can't this SamKnows group work with existing consumer router vendors (Linksys/Cisco, Netgear, D-Link, Buffalo, etc.) and provide the analysis data collection/distribution capability in all products?

It seems a lot easier to tell a customer "if you want to participate in this analysis, please upgrade your router firmware. Below is a list of models and what firmwares offer the option / what to adjust in the router".

I'm not going to ask "why are they being so secretive?", but it just seems like they're going about this incorrectly. Just like how I don't use routers given to me by ISPs, I sure as heck won't replace my router with one given to me by the FCC. But I *would* like to participate in the programme regardless.

dks7
join:2004-05-31
Omak, WA

dks7 to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

Re: Ironic

No they do not need these routers to do this, their incrementally garnering the publics support for their treason. You see to make treason work the average SHEEPLE must comply with it. It's just test after test after test.
mleland
Premium Member
join:2002-12-17
Westwood, CA

mleland to pbeaudet

Premium Member

to pbeaudet

Re: I have it Running

I am using Frontier DSL in Northeastern California as well and I did the speedtest\application at least 6 months before I heard they were even considering me.

I did just notice that 3 weeks after I setup the netgear box my dsl modem is now negotiating at a faster download and slower upload speed than it was before I setup the box. Hmm....

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

1 recommendation

fifty nine to koitsu

to koitsu

Re: Why do they need to provide a router?

For one, the incentive is the free router for many.

This is about broadband for all, not just techno geeks. J6P isn't going to know how to upgrade router firmware.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

said by ISurfTooMuch:

Or, better yet, they'd monitor the backbones. Oh yeah, they already are.

Gotta love AT&T.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

Never received the box

I did sign up when I heard of the program initially (seems like it might have been last year). Then earlier this year I got the message that the information I provided meant that I was qualified to participate in the program and gave me a link to do a performance test on my DSL line. At the successful conclusion of the test it stated something to the effect that a router would be sent to me. This was more than 6 month ago and I have yet to see a box. I have the feeling that SamKnows gets all the ISP performance data they need from the prequalification tests they ask users to perform. That is certainly cheaper for them then to actually send users a router.

If they send one now they are out of luck. I just switched to a different (cheaper, faster) provider this week and the new one is not on their list of ISPs.
jaymerkramer
join:2002-12-11
Saint Peters, MO

jaymerkramer

cant do it

I received an email today that I was accepted but I was reading the requirements and this one pretty much killed it for me

"You are not a heavy downloader. We'd classify anything above 30GB per month as being too heavy for us to gather useful results."

Otherwise I was going to give it a try and be a tester for them.

tstolze
Premium Member
join:2003-08-08
O Fallon, MO

tstolze

Premium Member

Operating as exptected.

My box has been in for 6-8 weeks now, I have access to my stats and the router has operated as expected.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB

Nothing more then a wire tap.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo
said by morbo:

said by ISurfTooMuch:

Or, better yet, they'd monitor the backbones. Oh yeah, they already are.

Gotta love AT&T.

......and NSA too.

bizsar
join:2005-08-25
Beaverton, OR

1 recommendation

bizsar

everything nominal here...and no boogey-man

I test wireless equipment for a living...there's no big scary Big Brother built into the firmware of the router...the conspirists can move back to the JFK issue or something...

Router working great, sending test data daily. I kind of wish it had been a D-Link .11n router instead of a Netgear, but oh well.
BigVe
join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

BigVe

How to hook up a router on dial-up

RedCaliSS
Premium Member
join:2004-08-21
Murrieta, CA

RedCaliSS

Premium Member

I got one of them thar new fangled routers too!!

I got mine about 2 months ago.. had it running about 3 weeks.. then Verizon (FIOS) suddenly kept disconnecting me. router could not get an IP Addy unless I called the FSC and they had to do whatever it is they do in order for the router to once again obtain an ip addy. (actiontec bridged)

One of the FSC techs elevated the issue and I got a call back by level 3 engineer, seems they've had this issue with these blackbox routers before.. Vz reverse engineered one.. since the software is open sourced. just they way that the router sends data out in random bursts causes the backend to think it's a spam relay. the gentleman took my mac address, and did whatever it is he needed to do and I have had no more problems.
While I had him on the phone I asked if they had found any nefarious code that would violate privacy, send to the govt... etc..etc... he said no, just raw bandwidth data and usage.. but no signs of anything
that would indicate what, where and how often I visit websites, torrents.. or whatever. (not that I believed him).

I have FIOS 25/25 triple play..

bizsar
join:2005-08-25
Beaverton, OR

bizsar

Have had the same exact service and setup (Actiontec bridged) for 2 months now with no issues...so far (crossing fingers).
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

useless

They state in requirements you cannot use more than 30GB per month because it is "too heavy" for their measurements. I use at minimum around 50 GB per month. Sometimes I go closer to 200 GB. No thanks!

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

1 edit

cork1958

Premium Member

Oops! Sent it to the spam folder

Just got an e-mail today from them. Sent it to the spam folder!!

Edit:
Upon reading these posts, I went back and moved it back to inbox and went through with it. All I got at end was it saying your application has been submitted.

io chico
Premium Member
join:2003-12-30
Marble Falls, TX

io chico to leibold

Premium Member

to leibold

Re: Never received the box

Same here, I signed up, heard back that I qualified and they gave me another link. I was successful and they stated they were going to send a router out to me. I've heard nothing since. I get 1.5 Mbps on a good day, I'd love for them to include me in the testing.
Big Dawg 23
join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN

Big Dawg 23 to TamaraB

to TamaraB

if they want to spy on my boring habits then have fun with it. I could careless that they know I Netflix, go to DSLreports, XDA and ESPN daily.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
Everything we do is traced.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode
My point is; AT&T and Verizon own the FCC. Any benefit from this data collection will be theirs not the public's. So why is tax payer money being spent on these gadgets?

And, if all this data can be had from the ISPs, and is already available, then what's the point?

Anonyname
@rr.com

Anonyname

Anon

Signed Up... got notified

I clicked on the link they sent via an email only to find out my Road Runner Turbo connection with powerboost was acting like ISDN. I tried to resubmit the test once things were somewaht back to normal, but it wouldn't let me. I didn't hear anything after that.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next