dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-12-27 10:36:37: Last week we noted that the Comcast/NBC merger would likely be approved in January, and that the FCC planned to approve the deal with a few modest conditions covering Internet video and the sharing of content with satellite and telcoTV competitors. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

Lame to say the least...

Only expanding to 400,000 homes over the next three years across their entire franchise areas? That is crap!!!

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

it will be much higher then that....but whther or not 400,000 subs are gained from adding the passings is another story
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to ropeguru

to ropeguru
actually, it makes no mention that these have to be now hook ups, so it could be just adding 400000 subscribers within their service areas, regardless of if they are new hookups or not, would finish that. They probably go thru 400k total hookups of new, and returning customers every 2 to 3 years, so this is one of those "already gets filled regardless" requirements. The $10 dollar broadband is gonna not be tru broadband, at less than 4mbps down and less than 1 up, but hey, the FCC has no power to regulate, and the FTC is owned by the stockholders anyways.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA

thedragonmas

Premium Member

$10 broadband, by whos definition?

$10 "broadband" anything over dialup? or 4Mbps down 1Mbps up?

HotRodFoto
Premium Member
join:2003-04-19
Denver, CO

HotRodFoto

Premium Member

$10 Broadband

I have to admit, if this is true, this is good to see a huge company take such a step. Would be nice for my Mom to finally be able to afford internet as she is on a fixed income with disability. Good job on that as far as that goes.
jupiter837
join:2010-11-26
Golden, MS

jupiter837 to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo

Re: Lame to say the least...

I also wonder how many under 20k a year households have computers. I was once in that position and I didn't have one, or a smartphone, sometimes not even a phone. That's like being offered a free stove when you don't have anything to cook, and then being told well you don't need the stove then do you?

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

How about highlighting some of the good things?

Nevermind, I guess people wouldn't be able to bash Comcast then.

Anyway, some of the conditions are sounding pretty good.

For starters, Comcast is pledging to keep the main NBC channel free OTA. This is a GOOD thing, and goes exactly against the fears that some had in that they thought that NBC would be going cable only.

They are also increasing local programming by 1000 hours per year and adding local content via ondemand. Also a good thing!

There are many many good things that Comcast has agreed to. Of course I don't expect too much focus on them, because Comcast is often portrayed as an evil monopoly and nothing else.
fifty nine

fifty nine to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo

said by Chubbysumo:

actually, it makes no mention that these have to be now hook ups, so it could be just adding 400000 subscribers within their service areas, regardless of if they are new hookups or not, would finish that. They probably go thru 400k total hookups of new, and returning customers every 2 to 3 years, so this is one of those "already gets filled regardless" requirements. The $10 dollar broadband is gonna not be tru broadband, at less than 4mbps down and less than 1 up, but hey, the FCC has no power to regulate, and the FTC is owned by the stockholders anyways.

Have you even read the letter? Didn't think so. They are adding an estimated 400k homes by adding 1500 miles of plant per year:

Comcast will expand its existing network by at least 1,500 miles per year for the next
three years (2011, 2012, and 2013), making broadband Internet available to an estimated
400,000 additional homes;

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to thedragonmas

Premium Member

to thedragonmas

Re: $10 broadband, by whos definition?

said by thedragonmas:

$10 "broadband" anything over dialup? or 4Mbps down 1Mbps up?

That will be interesting to see if they follow the FCC's definition of broadband. Which as you wrote is 4/1.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to jupiter837

to jupiter837

Comcast plans to offer low cost computers ($150) to low income households.
jupiter837
join:2010-11-26
Golden, MS

jupiter837

That is a good deal. Never mind the $10 broadband thing. They can get free wifi at a lot of places. So that would help them a lot.

P Ness
You'Ve Forgotten 9-11 Already
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
way way out

P Ness

Premium Member

whoot more of my money....

going to pay for other people's stuff.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to jupiter837

to jupiter837

They also got pretty specific as to what it would be:

Under this Comcast Broadband Opportunity Program (“CBOP”), each eligible
participating family will:

1. Receive the Economy version of our High-Speed Internet Service for $9.95 a month –
a rate for which the household will qualify so long as it meets the “eligibility
criteria” below;
2. Pay no installation or modem charges or fees (although we may use our self-install
program);
3. Be eligible for one piece of pre-configured, quality computer equipment (which may
include rebuilt PCs, netbooks, or other devices
) for less than $150 (the equipment
will be sold to the customer by a third-party vendor-partner of Comcast’s, with
Comcast providing any subsidy required to bring the equipment cost below $150).
4. Have access to web-based, print, and classroom-based training programs, provided
in partnership with One Economy and other current and future Comcast community
partners in our digital literacy efforts, including Boys and Girls Clubs, and Urban
League and National Council of La Raza affiliate organizations. Comcast will create
and fund these programs (although we may seek Foundation and other funds to
defray these costs).

So I'm guessing that they may partner with some recycling firm and offer older PCs or maybe get low cost netbooks for low income households. It really isn't hard to get a basic $150 computer even if it is a couple of years old. A pentium 4 or older core 2 duo running Linux is plenty for basic websurfing and email.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

Are we talking about 768K Down?

The last time I inquired about the download speed if I dropped back to the $24.95 retention monthly rate I was advised that it would be 768K down. Unless the low income customers get 4Mbps down the promise of broadband is BS based on the current definition broadband download speed.

In my opinion low income should be defined by market. For example if one lives in Manhattan, New York, $20,000.00 per year will get a customer a box under an underpass as a residence. I would think that in Manhattan low income would be about $60,000.00 per year. LOL low income customers.
EGamboaCR
join:2002-02-18
Cookeville, TN

EGamboaCR to HotRodFoto

to HotRodFoto

Re: $10 Broadband

"If it's too good to be true..." comes to mind.
Also thinking they're extending their hand and showing you their palm while throwing a rock with the other.

Day I trust one of these large media companies to do the right thing and be honest... that day will never come.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to thedragonmas

to thedragonmas

Re: $10 broadband, by whos definition?

They are going to get the economy tier.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to ropeguru

to ropeguru
you think they're going to listen to the FCC. After this is approved; Comcast and their lawyers and legal team slap the FCC so fast it won't even be funny.

The FCC has NO legal power to enforce nor require any of these things done. Why doesn't anyone on here get that??!?!?!?!?! The FCC has NO LEGAL POWER over the Internet. It is NOT a telecommuncations service NOR operate over the public airwaves.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to HotRodFoto

to HotRodFoto

said by HotRodFoto:

I have to admit, if this is true, this is good to see a huge company take such a step. Would be nice for my Mom to finally be able to afford internet as she is on a fixed income with disability. Good job on that as far as that goes.

The eligibility is tied to the NSLP, so sad to say your mom is out of luck, unless she has a kid in the household who is getting a free lunch from NSLP.
fifty nine

fifty nine to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt

Re: Are we talking about 768K Down?

They are going to provide the economy tier for $10 for 36 months if there is a qualifying child in the household who is attending school. This makes perfect sense. I fully support broadband subsidies for educational use, not simply for low income people.

Low income is defined as having one child in the household who qualifies for a free lunch under the NSLP.

60k in Manhattan is hardly low income. Manhattan isn't just Times Square and the Upper East Side you know...

Besides, Comcast doesn't serve Manhattan. Time Warner, RCN and Verizon (FiOS and DSL) do. I believe Cablevision may serve a very small portion that is technically Manhattan.

clumbsycast
@myfairpoint.net

clumbsycast

Anon

ha ha ha $10...

That won't last long. Kinda like Failpoint "Yea we'll upgrade the entire planet if you approve this deal to by verizon" then "Uh, we can't pay our bills"

HotRodFoto
Premium Member
join:2003-04-19
Denver, CO

HotRodFoto to EGamboaCR

Premium Member

to EGamboaCR

said by EGamboaCR:

"If it's too good to be true..." comes to mind.
Also thinking they're extending their hand and showing you their palm while throwing a rock with the other.

Day I trust one of these large media companies to do the right thing and be honest... that day will never come.

I hear ya
HotRodFoto

HotRodFoto to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by HotRodFoto:

The eligibility is tied to the NSLP, so sad to say your mom is out of luck, unless she has a kid in the household who is getting a free lunch from NSLP.

Well she is on SS so maybe not

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to fifty nine

MVM

to fifty nine

Oh man, I hope they expand into my neighborhood. I moved about 2 miles from their end of line. It would be nice if they could be added as competition to Service Electric. Plus SECV doesn't have Remote DVR programming or an iphone/ipad app, or HD VOD (or such an extensive on demand library for that matter).
BlueC
join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN

BlueC to fifty nine

to fifty nine

I'll be curious to see if Comcast ends up revising their "economy tier" to meet the minimum standards set forth by the FCC.

4mbps/1mbps. Which I think right now, Comcast has their economy tier @ 1.5mbps/768kbps.

If they end up bringing that tier up to the 4mbps/1mbps minimum standard AND price it @ $10/mo for qualifying households, I will be pleased. Otherwise, I don't see any positive progression.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to HotRodFoto

to HotRodFoto

The eligibility is specifically for school aged kids. It says nothing about SS.

The program will be established within nine months after close of the transaction, and
will run for a total of 36 months (through three school years) after the program is established
(although households that qualify during the three-year program will remain eligible for the
program for the discounted HSD prices so long as they have a student in the household who
qualifies), but in any event we will maintain the program through three full school years. We
will implement the program in coordination with state education departments and local school
districts, which will be responsible for certifying household eligibility for CBOP. “Eligibility
criteria” include: (i) there is at least one child in the household eligible for a free lunch under
the NSLP; (ii) the household is not the subject of current Comcast collections activity; and (iii)
the household has not subscribed to a Comcast Internet service within 90 days of installation.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to fifty nine

to fifty nine

Where in that does it say they have to be all NEW subscribers? It simply says they will add 400k subs by the end of a 3 year period. Sure some of them will come from the minuscule 1500 mile per year expansion that they already meet or exceed now, but they can and will probably count returning customers as new subs, contract extensions of existing customers as new subs, and any and all connections that didn't exist to their network(meaning those that had no Internet, that's a "new" sub, and those that reconnect after shutoff, that's a "new" sub, see my point?). I'm gonna guess that if you counted all the people that could be considered "new" subs under that logic for the last 3 years, it probably exceeded 400k easily. Concert lost some, and gained some. See my point, it's a non goal. It's a "goal" that looks good on paper, but is already reached by using twisted logic(you know comcast will), so comcast doesn't really have to change what they are ALREADY doing. Any more stupid questions? This is concert we are talking about.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to BlueC

to BlueC

said by BlueC:

I'll be curious to see if Comcast ends up revising their "economy tier" to meet the minimum standards set forth by the FCC.

4mbps/1mbps. Which I think right now, Comcast has their economy tier @ 1.5mbps/768kbps.

If they end up bringing that tier up to the 4mbps/1mbps minimum standard AND price it @ $10/mo for qualifying households, I will be pleased. Otherwise, I don't see any positive progression.

Or they may just not call it broadband.

This is really a bare bones program. It's available for 3 years and you are eligible if you have a student receiving a free lunch from NSLP.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to HotRodFoto

Premium Member

to HotRodFoto

said by HotRodFoto:

It would be a good move by Comcast. But not because they are feeling philanthropic. The $10 fee is for their "Economy" service. That provides 1.5 mbps downstream and 384 kbps upstream. While more than adequate for browsing web pages, it will quickly show the limitations if the users try to use it for video streaming. And that opens the possibility of upselling these customers to higher costlier speeds. And it also opens up possibility of selling cable TV to these same households as part of a bundle. It gets a Comcast foot in the door and is a good sales technique.

Here are other limitations:

The program will be established within nine months after close of the transaction, and
will run for a total of 36 months (through three school years) after the program is established
(although households that qualify during the three-year program will remain eligible for the
program for the discounted HSD prices so long as they have a student in the household who
qualifies
), but in any event we will maintain the program through three full school years. We
will implement the program in coordination with state education departments and local school
districts, which will be responsible for certifying household eligibility for CBOP.

So it looks like your mom wouldn't qualify, unless she has a qualified student living with her.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo

Comcast will expand its existing network by at least 1,500 miles per year for the next
three years (2011, 2012, and 2013), making broadband Internet available to an estimated
400,000 additional homes;

Note the highlights.

They didn't commit to 400k new homes being served. They only committed to the 1500 miles of new plant per year for 3 years which they estimate will bring in 400k additional subscribers during that period.
fifty nine

fifty nine to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Oh man, I hope they expand into my neighborhood. I moved about 2 miles from their end of line. It would be nice if they could be added as competition to Service Electric. Plus SECV doesn't have Remote DVR programming or an iphone/ipad app, or HD VOD (or such an extensive on demand library for that matter).

You could get a tivo or media center to do all of those things. Seriously, I am never using a crappy cable DVR ever again.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next