dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-12-29 17:20:37: Yesterday we noted that Time Warner Cable and Sinclair Broadcasting were having a retransmission fight that will likely result in customers losing access to 58 stations in 35 markets on Friday. ..

robertg1234
join:2004-04-19
Palo Alto, CA

robertg1234

Vote with your pocketbook!

Folks, why has not enough people voted with their pocketbook to stop this raping of the American Public! I plan on Cutting The Cord this weekend. I myself have many other things I can spend $140 a month on!

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

said by robertg1234:

Folks, why has not enough people voted with their pocketbook to stop this raping of the American Public! I plan on Cutting The Cord this weekend. I myself have many other things I can spend $140 a month on!

I totally agree with you man.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Hope it happens!

Not that this effects me in anyway but I would like to see what they are actually charging for these channels if they do "reduce customer prices by the cost of the affected channels".

CBL B0X
@att.net

CBL B0X

Anon

A Better Stance...

At least Suddenlink is offering to credit customers for the channels during the time that they're missing automatically. Most companies would have you call in and make a stink about not having the channels before they would part with any $$$.
Then again, it probably means a rate hike is coming soon for Suddenlink subscribers.
Expand your moderator at work

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to robertg1234

Premium Member

to robertg1234

Re: Vote with your pocketbook!

My GOSH i hope you get internet and phone for that price!
No way, I would pay over $80 a month for T.V
anklosaur
join:2003-02-16
Tyler, TX
Netgear R6400
ARRIS SB6183

anklosaur to CBL B0X

to CBL B0X

Re: A Better Stance...

said by CBL B0X :

...it probably means a rate hike is coming soon for Suddenlink subscribers.

Already done.

»Suddenlink Price Hikes Announced [12] comments
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin to robertg1234

to robertg1234

said by robertg1234:

And when you cut the cord, what will you be doing for TV service? I'm just trying to figure out if cutting the cord will actually make an impact.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

"Big refund for missing channels"

From what I can gather, we will get about $3 a month for these missing channels.

And it will cost about $4 per month to keep them.

This whole pricing model seems off to me. Why on earth would channels be demanding money to be on cable networks? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

If anything, they should agree to help out each other, and no one charge anyone anything...

Without the cable networks, there wouldn't be many of these channels.

edit: typo

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by gatorkram:

From what I can gather, we will get about $3 a month for these missing channels.

And it will cost about $4 per month to keep them.

This whole pricing model seems off to me. Why on earth would channels be demanding money to be on cable networks? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

If anything, they should agree to help out each other, and no one charge anyone anything...

Without the cable networks, there wouldn't be many of these channels.

edit: typo

i totally agree. while cable op's do make a profit on even basic cable. i have to imagen that atleast 80% of the price we pay goes to the content providers (im basing this on assumption, some one correct me if im wrong please). the content providers are double dipping, there getting paid by US (sub fee's) and by the advertisers.

we should have a-la-carte so you pay a base fee, then you pay the exact price for the channels you want. then the content providers would have to EARN that money by making GOOD programs that people want to watch. instead as it stands now they just force the cable op's to get "packages" and pay for each channel, no matter how crappy the content.

it will probably never happen. i mean i dont see why a cable op would be against it. the network fee would cover their profits for TV and ofcourse they can keep over charging for internet and phone (my opinion here, but $45 for VOIP phone is by no means what they actually pay for it. including upkeep) in this way if any of the content providers want to raise their rates it goes directly to the customers.

i mean really. once a year i get a channel lineup with my bill (just got it wednesday actually) how about when they send one of these out, they put the PRICE of each and every channel next to the channel, along with what company owns said channels.

maybe then people will start to "get it" that its not ALL WAYS the cable companys fault.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to jcremin

Premium Member

to jcremin

said by jcremin:

said by robertg1234:

And when you cut the cord, what will you be doing for TV service? I'm just trying to figure out if cutting the cord will actually make an impact.

not as long as sports are in the equation
gorehound
join:2009-06-19
Portland, ME

gorehound to robertg1234

to robertg1234
DO IT !!!
Cut your cable.I did years ago and have saved tons of money.Now I get to buy my fave shows on physical media and watch em when i want to.i am still saving money even after my purchasing.

scott2020
join:2008-07-20
MO

scott2020 to jcremin

to jcremin
check out www.tvfool.com to see what local stations you can pick up. I have just an outdoor TV antenna, and supplement that with Netflix, Hulu, and other online sources.

Playon makes a product that integrates several online services with boxes like the Wii, PS3, and xbox. I use SageTV for my PVR and it has a Playon plugin, so I can watch all Playon stuff through that connected to my TV.

To me, I don't care how old some content is. I started watching the first season of Ax Men on Netflix this week And I don't have to pay extra to have the History channel.

It takes money up front to pay for an antenna, SageTV, Playon, and any computers or video extenders, but it pays for itself in a few months. Plus, I never have to worry about my local stations being taken away from me. At least not until the government steals the over the air frequencies for the cell phone companies.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to robertg1234

to robertg1234
and you better cut the cord on your Internet too. That will be the next thing that goes up. Oh, and forget those caps and metered billing that will come this coming year; Gotta love it 'eh?
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

said by hottboiinnc4:

and you better cut the cord on your Internet too. That will be the next thing that goes up. Oh, and forget those caps and metered billing that will come this coming year; Gotta love it 'eh?

Yep, as people replace their TV and movies with streaming over the internet, the consumption will cause rates to go up for heavy users. Cutting the cord to save money by streaming stuff will only save money for so long.

megarock
join:2001-06-28
Fenton, MO

megarock

Cut the cord...

It's not too often I support cable or satellite providers but this is one. If a OTA or cable network demands more money request to your local operator that they do not negotiate and they drop the channel.

Simple economics: OTA and networks make the bulk of their revenue from advertisers. When these networks are dropped from the lineup of operator after operator their viewership goes down and that means less revenue from their advertisers and the loss of subscriber revenue. If every operator drops say Cartoon Network they have no viewers and no revenue.

So it should be an easy choice to support your cable operators on this one. Let all of Viacom's channels get dropped from the lineup and the provider not negotiate at all with them. See how long it takes to break Viacom when one operator after another follows suit. They have no other way to get their programming to us without the cable operators so the upper hand isn't theirs.

Support your operator. Do not support the content providers because without your operator they have no viewers.

Gaff
Just like the gypsy woman said
join:1999-09-05
North TX, US

Gaff

Agreement reached

According to a post on Suddenlink's blog, this issue has now been resolved:

»suddenlinkfyi.com/2010/1 ··· reement/