dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-01-18 10:14:57: According to a press statement by Sprint the company will be raising the cost of many people's "Everything Data" plans by an additional $10 per month. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr

Premium Member

Just Remember

You get what you pay for.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

1 recommendation

morbo

Not always.
sphinxguy18
Premium Member
join:2008-01-13
Dallas, TX

sphinxguy18

Premium Member

I thought ....

I thought Sprint was hurting for customers and I thought they wanted to be different from AT&T, T-Mobile & Verizon? I guess I was wrong

D*mn blonds!!

Steve B
Premium Member
join:2004-08-02
Auburn, WA

Steve B

Premium Member

Lol...

First it was about charging people for devices that "could" connect to the WiMAX network. Now its because of how much data one would use....no matter which smartphone.

Also, is it only a $10 increase on the first two lines so instead of $129 it becomes $139 for two lines and $10 more added on to the additional lines?

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur

Premium Member

The need to fix their network first!

The need to fix the issue of only pulling 50 kilobits on their 3G network with perfect signal!

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

said by digiblur:

The need to fix the issue of only pulling 50 kilobits on their 3G network with perfect signal!

I was having that problem among others, I left for another company.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk to Steve B

Premium Member

to Steve B

Re: Lol...

said by Steve B:

First it was about charging people for devices that "could" connect to the WiMAX network. Now its because of how much data one would use....no matter which smartphone.

Also, is it only a $10 increase on the first two lines so instead of $129 it becomes $139 for two lines and $10 more added on to the additional lines?

The $10 fee for 4G devices was per line, so I would assume it's the same for this.

Gotta say, if they keep this up I won't have any reason to not switch to VZ.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

spewak

Premium Member

Smart Points

Under the Smart Points section:
"Existing Sprint smartphone customers are not affected unless they upgrade to or activate another smartphone."

Steve B
Premium Member
Auburn, WA

Steve B to Jim Kirk

Premium Member

to Jim Kirk

said by Jim Kirk:

said by Steve B:

The $10 fee for 4G devices was per line, so I would assume it's the same for this.

Gotta say, if they keep this up I won't have any reason to not switch to VZ.

So the first two lines go from $129.99 to $149.99?
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

Guess I need to make sure I don't break my Android

quote:
· Instead of limits and overage charges on data plans for wireless phones as competitors have done, Sprint is applying its $10 Premium Data add-on charge to all smartphone activations beginning Jan. 30, 2011.
· Existing Sprint smartphone customers are not affected unless they upgrade to or activate another smartphone.

That's still some bullshit though. Makes me want to hack my phone so I can tether on it. Sprint disabled this feature on my handset in favor of their optional $30 Wifi hotspot option.

And it begs the question.. If the original phone plan states "unlimited text, web and email included" and now they're slapping this bullshit fee, doesn't this constitute a change of contract terms? Wouldn't this mean people didn't get the option to opt-out?

I smell class action suit.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk to Steve B

Premium Member

to Steve B

That's the case for the 4G $10 fee. Like I said, I'm assuming they'll do the same for the new 3G fee.

Steve B
Premium Member
Auburn, WA

Steve B

Premium Member

said by Jim Kirk:

That's the case for the 4G $10 fee. Like I said, I'm assuming they'll do the same for the new 3G fee.

I don't have Sprint (have Verizon) and I was curious. My thinking is then why bother staying with Sprint when you get get arguably better phones and more coverage for just a few bucks more?
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

What if no WiMax?

Will customers be levied the fee if they do not have access to mobile WiMax in their local service area? What happens if they travel through a WiMax area?

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

viperm

Premium Member

Screw that

WTF! stupid usb EVDO card barely does dialup anymore and they want to jack my prices on that and our 20 blackberries I dont think so!

I had to litterly look for an open WIFI signal in a rural area to fix a emergency network issue. I had full bars on the USB evdo card yet could barley surf I finallygave up after 30 min.

Even in meteropolitan areas full bars and you cant even run thier own damn speed test included on the new software they pushed out!

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson to slckusr

Premium Member

to slckusr

Re: Just Remember

Well no, I would say many are not getting what they pay for

hello123454
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02

hello123454

Premium Member

Unreal...

The $10 fee was originally for 4G devices to provide a "rich data experience"..

It sounds like Sprint held out as long as they could to prevent going to caps and instead just charge an extra $10 / month in place to keep everything unlimited.

Just because I have a smart phone doesn't mean I use a lot of data.

My only qualm with all of this is that they have given a variety of reasons for the original $10 fee.

If they came out in the beginning and imposed this on all 3g/4g smart phones I wouldn't have an issue.
boldwold
join:2011-01-11

boldwold

contract

is this something that can help break out of a new contract ?

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

ESN Swap

Is a Blackberry -> Blackberry ESN Swap via the Sprint Web site considered an Activation?
I have a spare BB in case I break one of my existing ones. I'd hate to be dinged $10 just because I do an ESN Swap of one BB with another identical one.
IanR
join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

IanR

Let me get this straight:

Verizon gets the iphone as an option, Sprint Not.

Sprint raises ALL data fees $10pm and these fees will eventually hit exisiting customers whenever thry get new phones not matter how little data they use.

And Sprint thinks it can grow it's customer base?

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member
join:2006-07-13

iLive4Fusion to Steve B

Premium Member

to Steve B

said by Steve B:

said by Jim Kirk:

I don't have Sprint (have Verizon) and I was curious. My thinking is then why bother staying with Sprint when you get get arguably better phones and more coverage for just a few bucks more?

Uhh you don't get the adventures of Sprint 4G on Verizon.. You know like the thrill of running up and down the block to see how many time's your Evo 4G goes back to 3G or No Service.

With Verizon if your in a covered market by the map for LTE, chances are you are covered inside and out

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to boldwold

Premium Member

to boldwold

Re: contract

said by boldwold:

is this something that can help break out of a new contract ?

No because it doesn't affect existing contracts. Only new contracts and if you renew (get a new phone and 2-year).

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to Steve B

Premium Member

to Steve B

I am using Sprint right now because the HTC EVO is a great phone, I have good 4G coverage where I use it, and the price is right for me at $80 for unlimited data.

I watch Slingbox video and listen to MOG's 320 kbps high quality music streams for many hours each week. I can't afford to do this with AT&T because of the overages I would certainly incur, and Verizon does not have anything fast enough to compete with 4G in my area at this time.

Simple choice for me. Once the LTE phones come out, I will take a look at what Verizon is offering, but for now, I'm sticking with Sprint.

Steve B
Premium Member
Auburn, WA

Steve B to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner

Re: Guess I need to make sure I don't break my Android

said by tired_runner:

quote:
· Instead of limits and overage charges on data plans for wireless phones as competitors have done, Sprint is applying its $10 Premium Data add-on charge to all smartphone activations beginning Jan. 30, 2011.
· Existing Sprint smartphone customers are not affected unless they upgrade to or activate another smartphone.

That's still some bullshit though. Makes me want to hack my phone so I can tether on it. Sprint disabled this feature on my handset in favor of their optional $30 Wifi hotspot option.

And it begs the question.. If the original phone plan states "unlimited text, web and email included" and now they're slapping this bullshit fee, doesn't this constitute a change of contract terms? Wouldn't this mean people didn't get the option to opt-out?

I smell class action suit.

Current contracts are grandfathered. It will change with a new line and upgrades.
Steve B

Steve B to jmn1207

Premium Member

to jmn1207

said by jmn1207:

I am using Sprint right now because the HTC EVO is a great phone, I have good 4G coverage where I use it, and the price is right for me at $80 for unlimited data.

I watch Slingbox video and listen to MOG's 320 kbps high quality music streams for many hours each week. I can't afford to do this with AT&T because of the overages I would certainly incur, and Verizon does not have anything fast enough to compete with 4G in my area at this time.

Simple choice for me. Once the LTE phones come out, I will take a look at what Verizon is offering, but for now, I'm sticking with Sprint.

Yeah, I was insinuating when any persons' area has LTE. Sorry for not being more clear in my post. Lol.
Steve B

Steve B to hello123454

Premium Member

to hello123454

Re: Unreal...

said by hello123454:

The $10 fee was originally for 4G devices to provide a "rich data experience"..

It sounds like Sprint held out as long as they could to prevent going to caps and instead just charge an extra $10 / month in place to keep everything unlimited.

Just because I have a smart phone doesn't mean I use a lot of data.

My only qualm with all of this is that they have given a variety of reasons for the original $10 fee.

If they came out in the beginning and imposed this on all 3g/4g smart phones I wouldn't have an issue.

That was the point I was trying to make in one of my posts above. First the fee was for this...now they're saying its for that. I'm in agreement with Karl. I also believe they're doing it "just because they can".

evgray
join:2003-05-19
Fort Scott, KS

evgray to IanR

to IanR

Re: Let me get this straight:

Prepaid is looking better all of the time. 40 bucks a month for Boost Mobile dropping to 35 in 18 months if you pay your bill on time...and unlimited everything on the same Sprint network????

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to IanR

Premium Member

to IanR
said by IanR:

Verizon gets the iphone as an option, Sprint Not.

Sprint raises ALL data fees $10pm and these fees will eventually hit exisiting customers whenever thry get new phones not matter how little data they use.

And Sprint thinks it can grow it's customer base?

Depends on the plan type, but the prices at Sprint are still competitive.

I pay $69.99 + $10 for 450 voice minutes and unlimited text and data. The same package at Verizon is $59.99 for the same voice minutes and text options, plus an additional $29.99 for unlimited data. This is with no 4G phones available. Verizon is $10 more and I would have slower speeds where I normally use my phone.

Now, who is to say that Verizon will not be raising their rates as well within the next few months?
boldwold
join:2011-01-11

boldwold

people budget for things, whether or not it's still "competitive" doesn't help people who have budgeted around a specific price.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to IanR

Premium Member

to IanR
what I don't understand is, why doesn't sprint just raise the plan fee? Whats with the nickel and dime-ing?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5 to Steve B

Premium Member

to Steve B

Encouraging smartphone users to utilize Wimax

Sprint is trying to blackjack their users in to upgrading to Wimax enabled smartphones by making the Everything Data plans the same for both 3G & 4G phones. I guess not enough people were switching to Wimax phones and now Sprint will make it a no-brainer to make the switch. That is one way to get utilization on your fancy new network increased.

And as far as users switching to Verizon or AT&T, those companies plans will still be more expensive than Sprints, even with the $10 extra per month.

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next