dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-01-25 12:53:43: Given AT&T's network struggles, and the decision to ditch unlimited data and instead give customers the "choice" of a 200 MB or 2 GB cap, there was plenty of speculation over whether Verizon would retain an unlimited data offer when they launch the i.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next
Lotheron
join:2009-04-03
Wesley Chapel, FL

1 edit

Lotheron

Perhaps there really is some competition?

One can only hope.. smart decision though. I hope AT&T realizes they made a blunder once all those people that would rather not worry about overages head to VZW.
EDIT * This was before the update was posted. It turns out that both ATT and VZW are going to continue scratching each other's backs. Business as usual.

appler
@sbcglobal.net

appler

Anon

fine print

fine print
speed slowed to dial up speeds after 5gb
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

1 recommendation

openbox9

Premium Member

And the update....

said by WSJ :

Update: But you’d better act fast. Speaking later Tuesday morning, Mr. McAdam said the iPhone unlimited plan will be a temporary offer and that the carrier will follow AT&T’s move to tiered pricing in the not too distant future.

Radio Active
My pappy's a pistol
Premium Member
join:2003-01-31
Fullerton, CA

Radio Active to Lotheron

Premium Member

to Lotheron

Re: Perhaps there really is some competition?

said by Lotheron:

One can only hope.. smart decision though. I hope AT&T realizes they made a blunder once all those people that would rather not worry about overages head to VZW.

Yeah. AT&T is going to have to step up, or they'll have an exodus to deal with.

AT&T execs are probably soiling their knickers right about now.
openbox9
Premium Member

1 recommendation

openbox9

Premium Member

I doubt it. Everyone, Karl included, seems to be ignoring McAdam's updated statement that this unlimited plan is an intro offer and that VZW will follow AT&T's lead shortly.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

Great job by Verizon...now I am interested

to see what they do for future iPad's
MichaelPea
join:2007-02-08
Irwin, PA

MichaelPea

Foot shooting

As often as Verizon shoots themselves in their feet, I would think that by now, their feet should look like bleeding swiss cheese.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Will it be Limited Unlimited

But, any information on whether it will be the typical 'slow down to dial-up speeds beyond 5G' type Unlimited?
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

VZW doesn't do that now, so I don't imagine you have much to worry about.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to openbox9

to openbox9

said by openbox9:

I doubt it. Everyone, Karl included, seems to be ignoring McAdam's updated statement that this unlimited plan is an intro offer and that VZW will follow AT&T's lead shortly.

I agree. Just like att had intro unlimited for ipad.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to openbox9

to openbox9
Most likely Verizon iPhone subs will be grand-fathered into the unlimited plan making the switch to Verizon much more attractive.

This is Verizon's version of AT&T's 'sticky' customers, unwilling to switch in fear of loosing their 'unlimited' status.

As the LTE version of the iPhone comes out next year they will be able to upgrade without loosing their 'unlimited' plan.

... it's going to be a bloodbath for AT&T.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

said by etaadmin:

As the LTE version of the iPhone comes out next year they will be able to upgrade without loosing their 'unlimited' plan.

I definitely wouldn't bet on that.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9

Re: And the update....

said by openbox9:

said by WSJ :

Update: But you’d better act fast. Speaking later Tuesday morning, Mr. McAdam said the iPhone unlimited plan will be a temporary offer and that the carrier will follow AT&T’s move to tiered pricing in the not too distant future.

Yes, many have not seen the update. If you are getting a Verizon iPhone, I'd act quick if you want that unlimited plan.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to chgo_man99

to chgo_man99

Unlimited data for the iPad lasted about 40 days... Before AT&T pulled the rug out from people, who in some cases hadn't even received their iPad 3G's yet. There is a class action lawsuit about this:
»www.lieffcabraser.com/ca ··· seID=316

Some breakthrough deal with AT&T Steve....

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9
said by openbox9:

The unlimited deal was probably part of the deal Verizon cut with Apple to get the iPhone. Get the fish good and hooked and then reel them in later after they are locked in to the Apple iPhone universe.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

And if you call right now!

An unlimited plan for a limited time only... Wow...
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Yep, likely not much different than AT&T's iPad deal that IPPlanMan See Profile is complaining about.
etaadmin
united state

1 edit

etaadmin to openbox9

to openbox9
said by openbox9:

said by etaadmin:

I definitely wouldn't bet on that.

I would... and I'm ready to buy the Verizon iPhone as soon as it becomes available.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

How can they not? It was there before Karl linked to it and posted this story. I guess we see how many people base their opinions on Karl's words instead of reading the articles that he links to.
openbox9

openbox9 to etaadmin

Premium Member

to etaadmin

Considering you won't see an LTE capable iPhone until summer 2012 at the earliest, you'll be waiting a while. Mark this post and I'll see you back here in another year or two
etaadmin
united state

etaadmin

said by openbox9:

Considering you won't see an LTE capable iPhone until summer 2012 at the earliest, you'll be waiting a while. Mark this post and I'll see you back here in another year or two

Well in another year or two I'll upgrade to the LTE version in the mean time I'll have what I always wanted ... a Verizon iPhone. No problem here.

We consumers is what drives the US economy.

MalibuMaxx
Premium Member
join:2007-02-06
Chesterton, IN

MalibuMaxx

Premium Member

years and yrs

how about a little love for current customers locked into a contract... mmm no verizon don't care about current customers... as does the rest of the wireless providers...

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9

said by openbox9:

How can they not? It was there before Karl linked to it and posted this story. I guess we see how many people base their opinions on Karl's words instead of reading the articles that he links to.

It has been my experience here that very few actually bother to read the source links.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Good Luck With That!

Verizon's 3G footprint is already fairly taxed - EVDO data rates here are typically 200kbps. Add several million video-streaming iFlock narcissists, and it will be a real turd.

Verizon will find itself having to rescind the plan quickly.
Apparently they didn't study their main rival, or learn anything from Virgin, TMO, and Sprint.

So if you really think you want to commit to $2K-3K to switch for 24 months, do it now! Your "unlimited" phone will not break any speed records, but at least you'll be able to boast on DSLR that you're immune from overage charges.

wizkid6
join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

wizkid6 to MalibuMaxx

to MalibuMaxx

Re: years and yrs

said by MalibuMaxx:

how about a little love for current customers locked into a contract... mmm no verizon don't care about current customers... as does the rest of the wireless providers...

I just talked to Verizon Wireless customer service, and they told me that next year when they get rid of unlimited data, people on unlimited should be grandfathered in, and when you renew (aka upgrade to a new phone) you should retain the unlimited data.

That basically means we're stuck with Verizon for the rest of our eternal lives because every other carrier will likely follow in their footsteps.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

Good!

My wife is currently still on the Unlimited Data plan from AT&T, as she got hers in April 2010 before the new data plans went into effect, so it will last till her contract ends in 2012.

If AT&T hasn't gone back to offering an unlimited plan, guess where we will be going to upgrade her 3GS to a 4?

(That is, if they still offer the unlimited in 2012 of course).

trebzon
join:2001-09-03
Grandville, MI

trebzon

Not all that it seems

You left out the part were the COO said this is a temporary offer to lure new customers. Don't get excited. Verizon is just as easy to bugger there customers as AT&T. They just want to get us all in a neat line first.

»www.foxbusiness.com/pers ··· verizon-
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to elray

to elray

Re: Good Luck With That!

said by elray:

Verizon's 3G footprint is already fairly taxed - EVDO data rates here are typically 200kbps.

Where is "around here"? I've been all over Verizon's footprint and I've NEVER seen performance that lousy except in fringe signal areas. In areas with good signal I've seen data rates that range from 800kbit/s to 2,500kbit/s.

I spent this last weekend in Manhattan where everybody claims that the network is overloaded and never saw my speed dip below 1,200kbit/s. When I was up late at night I was getting closer to 2,000kbit/s.

MIABye
Premium Member
join:2001-10-28
united state

MIABye

Premium Member

No Thanks

After examining Verizons plans, I realized they don't have 2 things that ATT offers. The option to have evening minutes start at 7 and roll over minutes.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH to etaadmin

Premium Member

to etaadmin

I would probably be saying the same thing had I not thrown down on a Droid Incredible last April. Now I'm locked in until December.

Come my upgrade time I will re evaluate. By then, Verizon should have several LTE phones and hopefully an LTE capable iPhone 5.

But, I'm pretty happy with my HTC phone. The battery life sucks a bag of Richards, but otherwise, it's light years from my previous handset (the dreaded Blackberry Storm).

It really is amazing to see how the technology has progressed across the past 3 years. There are so many capable handsets on so many carriers, the consumer is the winner in the end with all the choices they have.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next