spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-01-26 14:31:05: During last night's State Of The Union address, President Obama touched briefly on the nation's broadband goals -- specifically our high speed wireless ambitions. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1

He didn't say it'd be ready by 2015.

He just said that he'd make it possible within 5 years.

It's simply saying that he'll push for the extended AWS-3 auction, as well as maybe a final 700mhz auction.

AndyDufresne
Premium
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

I feel sorry for that 2%

That always seems to get left out of about every single carrier commercial and politician talking point. Seem that 98% is the magic number that is constantly used to justify some folks not having access to any kid of internet access and that is just dandy.

I'll give him credit for at least this line- "South Korean homes now have greater Internet access than we do." Maybe just maybe it will wake up these phone companies that offer low speed DSL to up their game.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

USA already has 100% coverage

With Wildblue and Iridium we already have 100 % cellphone and broadband coverage in the USA.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to AndyDufresne

Re: I feel sorry for that 2%

said by AndyDufresne:

Maybe just maybe it will wake up these phone companies that offer low speed DSL to up their game.

You seem to believe that telecoms are unaware of the services being offered elsewhere in the world. How does a residential connection to the Internet in South Korea affect a US company's investment strategy?

openbox9
Premium
Germany

Tens-of-Billions of What?

said by Karl Bode:

AT&T and Verizon currently squat on tens-of-billions in unused spectrum

Karl, can you quantify how much unused spectrum VZ and T are "squatting" on in terms of bandwidth instead of the regurgitated and pointless dollar guesstimate often reported elsewhere?

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 recommendation

said by openbox9:

said by Karl Bode:

AT&T and Verizon currently squat on tens-of-billions in unused spectrum

Karl, can you quantify how much unused spectrum VZ and T are "squatting" on in terms of bandwidth instead of the regurgitated and pointless dollar guesstimate often reported elsewhere?

If you have a counter argument with verifiable facts I would love to read it...
--
Returnil - 21st Century body armor for your PC

openbox9
Premium
Germany

What am I to counter? I've asked this question before and so far have not received an answer. Am I off-base to want to know how much unused spectrum is currently under control of VZ and T given our current understanding of the laws of physics? Money is irrelevant in regards to this topic. Quoting billions of dollars only serves to show what companies valued the spectrum at some point in history and is only relevant if the spectrum were to go up for sale again.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL
reply to patcat88

Re: USA already has 100% coverage

wildblue != broadband

ElusiveH

join:2004-10-29
united state
reply to openbox9

Re: Tens-of-Billions of What?

Close enough for you?

openbox9
Premium
Germany

If you find me one detailing used and unused spectrum, I'd be ecstatic. That's a good start though, thanks.

AndyDufresne
Premium
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN
reply to openbox9

»www.dailywireless.org/2010/06/18···carcity/

ender7074

join:2006-11-21
Saint Louis, MO

Nothing new here

98% of everything Obama says is empty rhetoric. Hes a politican....
--
Does Microsoft mean small and squishy?

zalternate

join:2007-02-22
freedom land

Wireless Satellite Internet, hahaha

With the launch of the ViaSat 1 with 140Gbps capacity (in service maybe late 2011 if it don't get dropped again) and
Hughesnet Jupiter(?Gbps) for launch in 2012, then sure the country will have 98% coverage with high speed(other than 600ms+ lag times).

But if a satellite(or two) dies or has a electrical failure, future millions could be without high speed(just over 1 million 'residential' users are now on Hughesnet and WildBlue combined), unlike if a fiber optic line or copper gets cut and can be repaired within a couple of days.
And Satellite Caps are so low until the 2 new high throughput satellites get in service, with hopes of higher caps for video streaming.

Satellite is a bandaid for people who live far from any townsite. But the Telco's and Cableco's keep suing small towns that try to put in their own fiber to the home, since the Cablesco's and Telco's refuse to spend anything above a small portion of the billions of dollars of profits that mergers and tax free incentives have given them.

-
Canada isn't much better off, but at least towns have the option to get high speed wireline if they are very aggressive to get a government subsidy for the Telco to add in DSL. Otherwise they are stuck with wireless providers that can't keep up with the bandwidth needed for the modern Internet of video's and cat pictures. And the coming low caps will kill some Internet video sites, of movies and TV(to prevent cable cutters and to keep the expensive movie ticket alive).
--
Consumer Rights is more than just a suggestion.

ElusiveH

united state
reply to openbox9

Well Verizon and AT&T don't use the 2100 MHz band they hold. So thats some.

Heres maps of The 700Mhz they hold and in what markets they have more spectrum. AT&T's is probably larger from the Qualcomm spectrum acquisition recently
»thinkd2c.wordpress.com/2009/08/2···-vs-att/

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

about stupid obama plans

I am sorry but obama plan for next gen wireless is not going to happen at all from what I can see and why would anybody wants to go with cell phone company for broadband access that limits your speed and gives you broadband cap of 5GB of month then they charge you out of the a$$ if you go over that small cap of 5GB. I think if want better access to broadband give money to smaller/medium wisp's so they can grow bigger and provide better service to ppl.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to patcat88

said by patcat88:

With Wildblue and Iridium we already have 100 % cellphone and broadband coverage in the USA.

yes wildblue is "broadband. With 1500 MS latency and low cap. Yeah ok. When is 1.5 Mbps considered broadband? I though the defintion was 4 Mbps?

mitsu06mr

join:2010-06-07
Ozone Park, NY

1 recommendation

Mr. President you are a joke.

Nice lets not face the fact that our economy and states are falling apart. Lets think about giving everyone Internet and or wireless broadband!

Come on we need 98% of US OF A on facebook.

democratrles

@telus.net
reply to ender7074

Re: Nothing new here

said by ender7074:

And G.W. Bush and other republicans? Gave tens of billions in Tax breaks to these corporations to screw people over and over again.
Sure would be nice if Government would stop catering to big business, who see Reganism profits over the consumers well being.

How the lawsuits going against Net Neutrality. To prevent enforcement of Consumer laws that should of been made and enforced a decade ago, to get killed by billion dollar companies who have Monopolies in many markets.
The Comcast CEO(or other executives) should of been arrested for hacking users connections(to stop file transfers), but are still free to one day do it again. Hacking can be a 3 year prison sentence.

And all those towns that try to put in their own wireline/fiber Internet(since the local provider does not exist or has very low speeds), to then get sued to stop construction, by Internet companies that get funding from republican money launderers(political donation my ass).

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to 88615298

where've you been? The FCC can't define or touch the Internet. Their definition doesn't mean shit and the ISPs know that. Broadband is what ever the ISP decides it is.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to AndyDufresne

Yes I know, that's where a lot of the "billions of dollars" quotes come from. It still doesn't answer my questions regarding how much spectrum is used, planned to be used, or simply "squatted" on. Besides, the article is a little dated given AT&T's announcement that it will begin deploying LTE this year.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
reply to 88615298

People always ignore the latency issue, that's why I want to upgrade to LTE is for the reduced latency, not really the bandwidth.
I can live on the 3mbit down / 1.5 up I get on AT&T, but not at 300 - 450ms latency, which is worse than dialup, LTE has sub 100ms latency and that's what really makes webpages load faster and snap up instantly like they do on my 30-40ms latency cable connection.

Wildblue imho isn't broadband.
It's dialup with an occasional high speed file download.

trollaway

@telus.net
reply to mitsu06mr

Re: Mr. President you are a joke.

said by mitsu06mr:

Nice lets not face the fact that our economy and states are falling apart. Lets think about giving everyone Internet and or wireless broadband!

States are falling apart due to so much hate in some republicans minds. They can't stand to see anyone getting services back from the government for the small amount of taxes that they pay. Other countries give all sorts of perks of life and the people enjoy life, instead of misspelling signs, of hate.
GE did not even pay taxes in the U.S. for a few years for not making any money, yet made billions overseas. Creative accounting that is endorsed by the republicans.

So how smart or dumb is peoples particular state.
»www.ccsu.edu/page.cfm?p=8142

tman852

join:2010-07-06

1 recommendation

reply to mitsu06mr

said by mitsu06mr:

Come on we need 98% of US OF A on facebook.

1.) Making his proposition a reality would put a lot of people to work.
2.) I'm stuck on expensive mobile broadband with very low caps because Fuck Warner and At&shit won't bother hitting my road with high speed since it "isn't profitable enough" for them yet everyone agreed to pitch in paying for it to be run.
3.) I have to deal with online videos/etc from classes in college on a low bandwidth, low cap unreliable service, so yes, if this came true it would be a god send to me and help me tremendously with school work as well as business, due to the poor service I am not able to telecommute.
--
Core i7 920 @ 3.2ghz | OCZ Obsidian 6GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM | EVGA X58 tri SLI-LE mobo | 2X EVGA 1GB GTX460 Video Cards | Antec 750w PSU | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD | WD Black 1TB HDD | Antec 1200 Case | G15 keyboard | G9x mouse | G35 Headset | Asus 23" LED-LCD

NOCTech75
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to democratrles

Re: Nothing new here

said by democratrles :

said by ender7074:

And G.W. Bush and other republicans? Gave tens of billions in Tax breaks to these corporations to screw people over and over again.
Sure would be nice if Government would stop catering to big business, who see Reganism profits over the consumers well being.

How the lawsuits going against Net Neutrality. To prevent enforcement of Consumer laws that should of been made and enforced a decade ago, to get killed by billion dollar companies who have Monopolies in many markets.
The Comcast CEO(or other executives) should of been arrested for hacking users connections(to stop file transfers), but are still free to one day do it again. Hacking can be a 3 year prison sentence.

And all those towns that try to put in their own wireline/fiber Internet(since the local provider does not exist or has very low speeds), to then get sued to stop construction, by Internet companies that get funding from republican money launderers(political donation my ass).

As opposed to the left wing loonies who never contribute to telecom companies and always do things for the good of the county. Your sides shit stinks too, both sides stink you partisan hack.

Ben
Premium
join:2007-06-17
Glen Carbon, IL
reply to patcat88

said by patcat88:

Wildblue doesn't satisfy the already below meager FCC definition of 4Mbps/1Mbps, even on their top tier, which is 1.5Mbps/256K for $80/mo. and a two year contract.  I'm not even going to touch on their obscenely low caps of 17GB/mo. (again on the top tier).

As far as Iridium is concerned, I've never heard of anyone placing satellite phone service in the same category as traditional mobile phones.

Satellite phones remain a strictly niche service for those who must have phone service and absolutely no other option exists.  When it costs someone $9/min. to call such a phone, you will use any other possible alternative if one exists.  For this reason, you only use satellite phones in third world countries, aircraft, or ships at sea.  It's also considered an international call, since satellite phone companies get their own country codes.

I get the $9/min. figure based on what AT&T charges a POTS customer.  I've seen rates between $6 and $14/min., but even at $6 you will seek out any other possible alternative.

PDXPLT

join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR
reply to AndyDufresne

Re: I feel sorry for that 2%

said by AndyDufresne:

I'll give him credit for at least this line- "South Korean homes now have greater Internet access than we do."

That didn't happen by accident, BTW. The So. Korean gov't made it happen; they wanted to "catch up" with the U.S.; how ironic, since they blew past us.

There's no mystery in what this speech was referring to. It was a reference to the Nat'l Broadband Plan, which is supposed to free up spectrum for both licensed and unlicensed ISP's.

As for Wildblue (which I'm on now) and existing wireless being considered broadband, I use a simple criterion - can you run the most popular broadband applications, the ones that consume the most internet bandwidth, on them. The answer is clearly NO; e.g., Netflix does not run on low-capped, slow Wildblue nor existing wireless services very well, if at all.

mitsu06mr

join:2010-06-07
Ozone Park, NY
reply to tman852

What makes you think this wont be another failed government project just like most of them? I don't trust the government to have anything ran properly. Anything they do is for $$ and only for $$. Do you really think they would get you wireless broadband just because you need it ?

You are wrong my friend they only want profit and only care to profit from you.

ElusiveH

united state
reply to trollaway

That chart is flawed, you're telling me that Detroit, MI is higher ranked than Phoenix, AZ. I'm from MI and I'm pretty sure Detroit is much, much worse than Phoenix

gigante
Premium
join:2000-06-30
Anchorage, AK

Perhaps the President is trying to kill us all off

the RF from 98% of us should be plenty to kill us all right? And if not us, it will definitely kill the bees.

tman852

join:2010-07-06
reply to mitsu06mr

I don't trust the government either honestly. I'm just making my point about my situation that would in fact benefit from this. If it did in fact pan out as proposed, great, but I really don't have my hopes up.