spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-01-27 16:25:39: Netflix today posted a list of the best performing ISPs in terms of streaming Internet video. ..

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2

Wow, is Comcast really #2?

I was surprised and may have misread the list, is Comcast really #2?

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Re: Wow, is Comcast really #2?

said by pandora:

Most users on Comcast are now getting the 12/2 mbps tier or higher - easily capable of delivering Netflix content at highest quality.

In fact I suspect that Comcast is not sitting pegged at 4.8 mbps on the chart because much of the content Netflix is sending to Comcast users is SD content and going to devices like Nintendo Wii's that can't show HD anyway.

In any case, anything I watch streaming from Netflix on Comcast plays thru w/o pauses or breaking up. Quality is excellent.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

1 recommendation

said by pandora:

Why are you surprised? Comcast has a well run network and peering with the major CDNs deep within their network.

Do you really believe the conspiracy theories you read on the internet about them wanting to choke off netflix?
BlueC

join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:1

"Well run" huh....

I suppose the multiple major DNS failures over the past 6 months have really shown that that level of quality.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

1 recommendation

said by BlueC:

"Well run" huh....

I suppose the multiple major DNS failures over the past 6 months have really shown that that level of quality.

DNS is only one part of the network. This is like saying that Hondas are unreliable cars because a light on the dashboard keeps going out every few months.
BlueC

Minneapolis, MN

Yea... well the DNS plays a big part in how users utilize their internet connections, it's more than just a "light going out".

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

said by BlueC:

Yea... well the DNS plays a big part in how users utilize their internet connections, it's more than just a "light going out".

I never notice any DNS problems. Maybe because I have multiple DNS server addresses plugged in to the router from different providers.
Lazlow

join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO

The fact that you are using DNS from different providers says a lot about your confidence in your providers DNS.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

said by Lazlow:

The fact that you are using DNS from different providers says a lot about your confidence in your providers DNS.

No. It says a lot about my using my head to take all steps necessary to get best availability. And on the very rare times(usually precipitated by my much less reliable electric company) when the cable is totally out I use Sprint EVDO to access the internet.

P.S.>> Comcast DNS is 1st in list. Others are just backup.
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

I agree that DNS problems don't necessarily mean poor network architecture but unless NetGear, Linksys, DLink and grandma's-router-brand automatically go to multiple DNS servers, I agree with Lazlow. The DNS problems are a big stain for Comcast.

Using your Honda analogy, if you know how to replace the dash light bulb and that's all that goes wrong, it's a great car but if you don't know how to replace the light bulb, you get tired of taking it to the dealer for a warranty repair. It's just human nature. It's tough to remember the glass is half full.
BlueC

Minneapolis, MN
Problem is, the majority of users on Comcast don't know how to setup additional DNS server addresses.

They should be able to provide their customers with reliable service w/o having to perform any additional steps.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

said by BlueC:

Problem is, the majority of users on Comcast don't know how to setup additional DNS server addresses.

They should be able to provide their customers with reliable service w/o having to perform any additional steps.

It is reliable - just not 100% like some expect. I'll settle for three 9's of reliability(525 mins of outage/yr).

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
A lot of tech savvy Internet users employ alternate DNS solutions into their networks. I have Fios, yet I'm using open DNS by choice, with Verizon's DNS set as secondary.

It's not a reflection on the quality of Verizon's DNS servers, just one more layer of redundancy I can work into my network (like all my network gear being backed up by UPS units, including an external UPS for the ONT) to increase my uptime and make sure my connection works when I need it....
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
Bad analogy. EOM

LeftOfSanity
People Suck.

join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE
said by BlueC:

"Well run" huh....

Yea between those 2 outages that lasted what, hours? And that one that happened like 4 years ago, they should be ashamed.

--
I'll do it later.
iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
The conspiracy theories are accurate, however haveing a 12/2 connection running at 1/2 speed is better than having a 3/768 connection running at 75% of advertised.

Also, I can stream movies perfectly on a 1.5/384 Verizon DSL connection. On Comcast things are fine as well. *shrugs*

nukscull

@rr.com

If a conspiracy theory was accurate, it wouldn't be a conspiracy theory at all.
WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX
said by fifty nine:

said by pandora:

Do you really believe the conspiracy theories you read on the internet about them wanting to choke off netflix?

Yes.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

said by WernerSchutz:

said by fifty nine:

said by pandora:

Yes.

Well clearly they're not.

LeftOfSanity
People Suck.

join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE
said by WernerSchutz:

said by fifty nine:

said by pandora:

Yes.

I guess thats why Comcast is #2 then, it must be because they even suck at sabotage huh?
--
I'll do it later.
WernerSchutz

Sugar Land, TX

said by LeftOfSanity:

I guess thats why Comcast is #2 then, it must be because they even suck at sabotage huh?

Their little dispute with L3 did not work.

moredata

@comcast.net

said by WernerSchutz:

said by LeftOfSanity:

Their little dispute with L3 did not work.

This data has months of performance well before and during Level 3's taking some of the business from other CDNs. Not sure what you mean by "did not work", but it is pretty clear all the "Blocking" comments are nothing more than false accusations.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
I'm glad to see Comcast is #2 simply because when it begins degrading substantially subscribers can point to the graph and ask them why.

moreinfo

@comcast.net

or the exact opposite which has been proven time and time again with Ookla and other testing.

Don't you hate it when they are good?

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

said by moreinfo :

or the exact opposite which has been proven time and time again with Ookla and other testing.

If they are so damn good, why do they consistently rate near the bottom in customer satisfaction year after year in surveys conducted by Consumer Reports, JD Powers and the American Customer Satisfaction Index as well as winning last year's Consumerist Worst Company Award?

Congratulations Comcast; You're The Worst Company In America!

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

said by newview:

said by moreinfo :

If they are so damn good, why do they consistently rate near the bottom in customer satisfaction year after year in surveys conducted by Consumer Reports, JD Powers and the American Customer Satisfaction Index as well as winning last year's Consumerist Worst Company Award?

Congratulations Comcast; You're The Worst Company In America!

Insert AOL for comcast and take the way back machine.
dagg

join:2001-03-25
Galt, CA
customer satisfaction and a well running network are completely different animals. additionally, not every network in every comcast market runs the same and not every market has brand new shiny equipment in it across the entire market.

where i live now? actually they are pretty good. i have had only 2 major issues (major being service interrupting AND lasting longer than 2 hours for major outage or 24hrs for intermittent network issues). i have a huge beef with their billing and i have a huge beef with their tech support in general and because of that yes they are way down on my list when it comes to how happy i am with them.... but it sure aint because of the network itself.
fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
Yea.. the consumerist is a model website to base anything off of. That is THE most horrible excuse of a journalistic piece I've ever seen. They make Fox News look PERFECT for their reporting ethics.

The day that the consuckerist posted all the comcast dispatch numbers to the public, they became terroristic at best in my view. That little stunt proved nothing more than to cause problems for Comcast and they know it. not to mention, they've posted a number of articles that have absolutely NO facts checked, but they posted them because someone came to them with some bull shit story.

So yea, be proud that you stand behind a bunch of idiots that know how to publish a lot of unfounded crap to the public.. nothing but a bunch of disgruntled idiots with a chip on their shoulder.

I don't see eye to eye with Karl on a good portion of what he says, but I will give the guy credit when credit is due and that he does at least cite sources and backs up his posts, right or wrong. I don't think karl has yet posted a news blog and revealed proprietary information because he's pissed off at a company for what ever reason.

And, if you have to ask why the largest-anything ranks consistently near the bottom of any opinion survey - they you don't understand how the human mind works.

Rambo76098

join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

How so? VZW is the largest cell carrier and no where near the bottom.

Comcast brought any rage upon themselves with their own shitty customer service and poor management. I say good for someone publishing their contact info. If they were doing their jobs, no one would be calling!

I don't live in Comcast territory but saw their shittyness firsthand, helped an old roommate move while in town for his wedding. Waited around for the Comcast guy to show up for the installation. They missed 2 appointments then was 4 hours late for the 3rd. The installation was botched, he installed the wrong equipment and didn't activate it properly. Several calls and a couple hours on the phone they gave up and scheduled a service call. This was all ON THE FIRST DAY OF SERVICE!

After seeing that, they would have to be the only broadband company available before I'd sign up with them. I'd even take a slow, capped cell based laptop card before them.
fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium

Just as you post about personal experience, I can tell you number of people that hate and despise Verizon.. numbers are numbers. And, these rankings are relative and on a curve anyway.

I don't need a review of your experiences.. the fact is that surveys are about as valuable as the paper they're printed on.

By the way, my Comcast service, in every home I've lived in, has always gone in PERFECT on day one. Qwest is always been good for DSL, except when I got moved to DMT from CAP - that was a 7 day outage. So? User experiences are going to vary. However, it doesnt' change the fact that a large company will have more complaints and is a bigger target.

Verizon, as a company, is a pretty hated company.

Rambo76098

join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
Yep, I used 1 personal experience to justify my opinion. Does that mean everyone has these problems? No. But any decent company shouldn't screw up that much. And when they do, they should make up for it.

JD Power, Consumer Reports, ACSI & Zagat all put VZW as best in their most recent survey. I wasn't saying they are the best for everyone, but manage to come up best overall in surverys. They are still the largest cell carrier as well, so the biggest doesn't always end up the worst.
fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
said by pandora:

Why? .. are you disappointed that Comcast wasn't being bashed by someone this time and actually given credit for having a good network?

Anyway.. I could honestly care less what netflix would offer up as a list ranking any ISP that's best handling their service. Netflix has too much of a motive to lie or be mis-representing which opens them up to criticism.
pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by fiberguy:

said by pandora:

Why? .. (drivel redacted)

I assumed all FIOS networks would be on top of Comcast.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
WernerSchutz

Sugar Land, TX
said by fiberguy:

said by pandora:

Why? .. are you disappointed that Comcast wasn't being bashed by someone this time and actually given credit for having a good network?

Anyway.. I could honestly care less what netflix would offer up as a list ranking any ISP that's best handling their service. Netflix has too much of a motive to lie or be mis-representing which opens them up to criticism.

Wasn't there some other company that was proven that lied that you are consistently defending no matter what ?

S_engineer
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

I wish...

I had bought the stock in the beginning. I stream it through a PS3 and it looks fantastic. However, I believe the writing is on the wall. Netflix/youtube is the rallying cry for ISPs to push usage based billing. Then I cut all cords!
--
"Thanks for the dance... and cut yourself a slice'a throat! "
- Curly (HOI POLLOI, 1935)

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

Masque

join:2001-12-04
Auburn, MI

1 recommendation

I Guess Kudos To Charter......

....for their stability and performance. Ahead of Comcast in something is good, I guess.

•••

SRFireside

join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

Interesting

I have Clear and my Netflix streams work just fine. Maybe your mileage varies depending on what else you're doing and your signal strength?

Sabre
Di relung hatiku bernyanyi bidadari

join:2005-05-17

Re: Interesting

So I would assume. I have little issue with heavy Netflix streaming on my Clear service. Though if my wife is Netflixing while I'm Warcrafting, it does put a bit of a hit on my gaming (not on her streaming, though). Granted, we only have an SD TV so we're not pulling as much bandwidth on the stream as we could, and I'm pretty sure I'm one of the only people on my tower (pretty low Clear takeup in my neighbourhood, I believe).

I wonder what difference there would be comparing Clear fixed-home connections to their roaming ones? I bet Netflix streaming is a lot more painful constantly jumping from tower to tower.
--
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Save American Soccer - Stop the MLS!

craig208

@bell.ca

Canada's Internet needs to change

look at USA's ISP to Canada's ISP Canada only has four and Shaw isn't available in eastern Canada

wizkid6

join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

And they forogot one...

Knology

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148

Re: And they forogot one...

said by wizkid6:

Knology

Knology is barely a blip on the map....you need to have customers before you can be rated - LOL! (Sorry...I'm only kidding...sorta).

Lark3po
Premium
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL
Reviews:
·Knology

Re: And they forogot one...

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by wizkid6:

Knology

Knology is barely a blip on the map....you need to have customers before you can be rated - LOL! (Sorry...I'm only kidding...sorta).

I was thinking the same thing... I kinda like Knology small though.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

Canadian speeds higher than US - surprise?

With all the tales of woe about Canada's internet providers, I was mildly surprised to see that their average speeds were higher than US providers. Given all the negative noise about their providers, I expected to see much lower numbers.

Maybe it is because Netflix just recently came to Canada and the selection of titles is smaller and they are streaming more HD content than in the US.

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL

Re: Canadian speeds higher than US - surprise?

They're capped, we're not (yet). It was never about the speeds being delivered.

Sunshine1970

@qwest.net

Wha...?

Time Warner is near the top of the list? (either #3 or 4) That shocks me...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

2 recommendations

Ya just couldn't bring yourself to say it could you Karl...

I can't help but notice that Time Warner is right up there close to Charter and you just wouldn't allow yourself to let words come out of your mouth or keyboard....oh the pain Karl...that had to hurt... That your beloved Verizon (oh but Verizon has an excuse...most of their network is based on DSL...lame) was beat out by Time Warner and not just by little but a huge margin. Oh the pain...hahahhahahaha

That's okay Karl... I'll say it for ya... Charter, Time Warner aka Road Runner, Comcast and Cox were tops in delivering Netflix content to their customers above all the telcos by a healthy margin. Is anybody surprised....hardly.

••••••••••••••••

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

From a WISP

Posted on the Netflix blog:
quote:
I operate a WISP (Wireless ISP) and have clearly told
my customers we block all Netflix content.

Our business model is typically for fifty users per wireless
access point. As little as six subscribers streaming Netflix
videos denies service to the other forty-four users.

We would gladly offer a "Netflix entertainment package"
for ten times the cost of our base plans to make up for
customers lost to Netflix data hogs.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

skuv

@rr.com

Interesting...

Interesting that the top 4 cable companies with the most to fear from Netflix and similar services are the top 4 best performing networks for Netflix.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Re: Interesting...

said by skuv :

Interesting that the top 4 cable companies with the most to fear from Netflix and similar services are the top 4 best performing networks for Netflix.

Exactly my friend...
PDXPLT

join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR

4800 kbits is all? Now I don't feel so bad.

Streeaming Netflix looks like crap on my TV, but I though my lousy ISP was mostly to blame. But if all they can do is 4.8 Mbps on even a good connection, Netflix would look like crap on my 65" HDTV no matter what.

Guess I'll stick to Blu-Ray for home. Netflix is great to have on my iPhone, though.

••••••
NyNexit

join:2009-11-01
Huntington, NY

FIOS/DSL

Its a shame the stats don't seperate DSL & FIOS... and did charter really do that well! My Aunt can't get a STB that works for more than a week!

••••••••

MonkeyLick78

join:2002-01-27
Hixson, TN

>>

Is this just based on max download speed average? Are isp's really having trouble delivering a max of 4800 kilobits per second? It seems that it would mainly come down to who is watching more HD on average.
It just seems kinda useless to posts stats like these for what is really not a whole lot of bandwidth per sec. Most Netflix bandwidth issues come from Netflix side anyway.

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI

Clear is dead last

Surprised, I am not.

I have Suddenlink again, they're way up there, uninterrupted 1080p Youtube/Netflix HD with just 10Mbps. Clearwire digs their own grave.
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Re: Clear is dead last

Clear dug their own grave because they have coverage problems. I think this speaks to the fact that it isn't wise to use frequencies that degrade so quickly when passing through trees and buildings. Even though I'm on the top of a hill and within a mile of two Clear towers, according to their coverage map the signal for my house is poor (two houses down in multiple directions is fine). Because of this, they will only sell me a "mobile" hotspot plan and not something for use as my home's Internet connection.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY

TWC streams better than Verizon

wow, that was an eye opener