spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-02-17 13:51:55: The United States' first ever national broadband map went live today at this website address, after the American Recover and Reinvestment Act set aside $293 million to engage in a national broadband mapping project. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · next
maubs

join:2010-02-26
Farmington, IL

Trumped up results

Mine shows one provider that doesn't reach me, and much higher speeds for the one that does. 6mb=/=768kb.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

This must be a damn joke

Are you serious. I didnt know AT&T and TWC offers 10-25mbps on my road. Whenever I call them they say DSL and Cable is not available. This is total bullshit.
Core0000
Premium
join:2008-05-04
Somerset, KY

Service available?

Hmm.. Nothing came up for my area at all.

The only thing it said was 10MB is commonly available... but I couldn't seem to get anything else to show up... or where they got the info.

Maybe I was some how "Doing it wrong"... ?
Wranthis

join:2009-09-21
Altoona, WI

Cross-Atlantic WiMAX?

Apparently in Wisconsin I can get Deutsche Telekom AG for wireless service.

Must be some great line of sight to Germany.

edit- maybe its a typo, if it is supposed to be "Douche Telecom" and they mean AT&T?

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Re: Cross-Atlantic WiMAX?

said by Wranthis:

edit- maybe its a typo, if it is supposed to be "Douche Telecom" and they mean AT&T?

You can actually. Deutsche Telekom is t-mobile and they offer their 21Mbps in your area. What you see is most likely valid.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
said by Wranthis:

i lold.

lordfly

join:2000-10-12
Homestead, FL

1 recommendation

Page not loading properly for me

No matter what browser; Firefox, IE or Chrome, it loads, briefly shows the dialog box then disappears and shows only a blank page with a line at the top.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Re: Page not loading properly for me

said by lordfly:

No matter what browser; Firefox, IE or Chrome, it loads, briefly shows the dialog box then disappears and shows only a blank page with a line at the top.

Me too.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

Jovi
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Mount Joy, PA

said by djdanska:

said by lordfly:

Me too.

Me three.
--
"Some people have no respect for logic."

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

said by Jovi:

said by djdanska:

said by lordfly:

Me too.

Me three.

me four
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.
Papageno

join:2011-01-26
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

Won't even come up for me, let alone give local info

I can't even get the map to come up now, let alone have it tell me anything about my neighborhood. What a joke.

This will never change as long as big corporate money is in control of Congressional election campaigns. The bribes, um, campaign contributions they pay ensure that public policy is always made with their priorities considered first and foremost, not those of the public at large. Makes you want to move to a country where this isn't so. How do I get a German work visa again?

kdwycha

join:2003-01-30
Riverview, FL

1 recommendation

It seems to be broken...

The map doesnt work in Chrome or IE for me

kdwycha

join:2003-01-30
Riverview, FL

Re: It seems to be broken...

Nevermind it does load. Just takes 20 minutes to load on my 30mb/s fiber. I would imagine it would take 6 days on normal DSL to load.
cableman0327

join:2004-10-10
Westminster, MD

Our they Freaking Nuts?

$293 million to engage in a national broadband mapping project.

Thank-you for spending so much wasteful money,

Hey i got a project, see how much you wast, then send that money back to us!
biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

waste of money

This is one of the biggest wastes of money I have ever heard of. Was Halliburton hired to provide the map? It should take at most a couple people on the info gathering side and a few IT guys to keep the whole thing running. How in the heck did it cost $300 million? I'm contacting my local congressman to investigate.
biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

What?

I've tried Firefox, Chrome and IE and it keeps loading a blank page. Nice work, guys.

darthur2000

join:2002-01-02
Boston, MA

Engage

If you check out their "Engage" section the bring up the idea of crowdsourcing to help build a more accurate map.

It'll be interesting to see if enough people engage in this to help fill in the gaping holes and out right inaccuracies in the map. Like the fact that it said I can get AT&T dsl or Verizon wireless service at my house. But I know for a fact that I'm too far from the CO for DSL (though people a half mile up the road do get u-verse they just never installed the gear to extend it out and provide service to my end of the road). Same goes for Verizon Wireless. I live in a Verizon Wireless deadzone so you can't even make a simple voice call on a VZW cell phone from my house, let alone get to the net.
rob316

join:2005-10-17
Carteret, NJ

Money Well Spent

Once again our tax money well spent. Bunch of idiots in DC. No wonder we suck so bad in broadband compared to other countries they can't even get what providers are in what areas straight.

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

the map dont work in firefox

the dang map dont work in firefox

update if you got IE 8 you have to reset your IE options to get it to work correctly.

defiant
MVM
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI
kudos:2

To the taxpayers dissatisfied with this "project" ...

I urge you to contact your congressional representatives by any means available to convey your disgust with this "project". This is not what I call fiscal responsibility.

Twaddle

@sbcglobal.net

Re: To the taxpayers dissatisfied with this "project"

That will go in one ear and out the other as our congress is too busy planning for their re-elections to keep their hog troughs full of pork. Just another excuse to spend money that we can't afford by a bi-partisan group of modern day extortionists

defiant
MVM
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI
kudos:2

Re: To the taxpayers dissatisfied with this "project"

Freedom of Speech: use it or lose it.

Zulu3

join:2008-03-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Not Real Data

Folks. See what it says: "Advertised Speeds". This is what AT&T says they have. Not what really the service level is, which is crap in my area. Says 10-25M. No such animal here..

WeSRT4

join:2000-11-20
Mobile, AL

Really highlights...

the weakness of cable deployment. Wow! They really need to step it up.
nwmsbob

join:2007-07-15
Hernando, MS

I'M ACTUALLY SHOCKED...

... the map correctly shows that my address has no broadband available.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24

Some Small issues...

It seems the map isn't playing nicely at times when I zoom to certain levels, or if I toggle some options around though at least for my area, it seems reasonably accurate except for a few categories where it doesn't seem to have data for.

mr_slick

join:2003-05-22
Lynnwood, WA

should have used some of that cash.....

for a better server(s)! slow as molasses

Coke

join:2009-07-17

What a giant waste of money

We had something way better than this for free years ago.

Anyone on dslreport remember back in the days where you can enter your address/zip code and get an accurate picture of what's available in your area? and at a fairly accurate estimate of speed too due to the CO distance calculator and all.
It also showed cable and other various options too, along with price and bundles.

This map is slow, inaccurate and completely useless.