spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-03-03 18:45:24: Earlier this week we reported that Mediacom was trying something most ISPs knew better than to tinker with: they were injecting their own ads into other companies websites using what appears to be deep packet inspection and Javascript injection. ..

mnt

join:2004-10-03
Baldwin, AL
reply to 88615298

Re: Nothing to see here

Perfect!

syslock
Premium
join:2007-02-03
La La Land
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to Karl Bode

Re: "It was a mistake.."

said by Karl Bode:

Just enhancing ye olde customer experience!

Or the one that drive me crazy because its sooo overused....

We were adding value to the customer overall service experience.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Most Likely Illegal

I think this practice is 100 percent illegal. There are laws against conversion, which is defined as taking something and converting it to your own use. There are also laws against computer hacking. I am willing to bet there are already lawyers cooking up class action lawsuits over this and Mediacom will probably settle by discontinuing the practice and giving bill credits to affected customers, admit no wrongdoing, and the plaintiff lawyers will walk out with one fat check. I also see lawsuits coming from website operators as well. Then there is possible litigation over privacy as well. Many internet connections are used to transmit confidential information such as HIPPA Sensitive (aka. protected patient health information), proprietary company secrets, financial data, client/consumer records, and many other bits of information that has to remain confidential for various reasons. One of the clinics I go to uses web based medical charts and a lot of the practitioners access the medical chart system from their home computers and that entails information protected by the federal health privacy laws known as the Health Insurance Portability Practices Act or HIPPA. I would not want my confidential and protected health information getting in the hands of advertisers. The fines for breaches of HIPPA sensitive information are steep to the tune of $15,000 per violation.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Aren't they a "marketing" insurgent?

While I understand the opportunity to generate revenue that could be used to offset costs and keep prices from increasing, doesn't this compromise the site's ability to offer their own ads? What if an injected ad accidentally covers an ad sent by the original site? If that happens, where is the advertiser's recourse? The site sent the ad and from their perspective, the ad was viewed, they want to be paid.

I suppose it's no harm done if it only costs the advertiser when the customer clicks on their ad but I suspect site owners are also compensated by advertisers for page views.

If this becomes rampant, will sites switch to SSL (HTTPS)? Unless there's an agreement between the ISP and the site owner, justice would be served if most sites went SSL thereby making the appliance just another technology "door stop". Depending on how quickly sites followed suit, it would also represent an almost "overnight" end to whatever revenue was being generated. I wonder if Mediacom thought about how quickly the ROI on their appliance could end up a big fat zero?

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to 88615298

Re: Nothing to see here

said by 88615298:

"There are no ads. Everything is the same as always."

Wow, I haven't seen that meme for years.
--
Ant @ »antfarm.ma.cx and »aqfl.net. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use the forum! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer

jmmilner

join:2001-11-20
Yorkville, IL
reply to rradina

Re: Aren't they a "marketing" insurgent?

I don't use the word "think" and "marketing" in the same paragraph. Mediacom's marketing hacks are only interested in pushing ads that make you "feel" warm and fuzzy about whatever they are pushing. Thinking doesn't enter into it.

fredthomsen
Premium
join:2011-03-01

I know what they'll call it...

The ISPs refer to this as a 'value add'...