dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-03-04 09:32:45: Cable operator Suddenlink Communications hasn't yet imposed metered billing, but users in our Suddenlink forums note that the company has provided a new usage meter aimed at "educating" paying customers about their usage. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Murdoc49
Premium Member
join:2009-02-08
Manitowoc, WI

Murdoc49

Premium Member

Why?

Is it foreign bandwidth?

moko
join:2002-12-22
Fayetteville, GA

moko

graph

their own made up graph....lol......and yea,their setting us up for money grab

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

1 recommendation

rchandra

Premium Member

Fine...bring back the periodic (say weekly or monthly) rpts

A friend of mine has been running an Internet connected business for over 15 years. He used to get a usage report from Worldcomm every billing cycle (monthly), and he was charged on the 90th percentile (or was that 95th?) of usage. How about these Internet companies who want to go to UBB emailing a report every billing cycle (or maybe more often to gauge things like monthly Microsoft updates)? Then we'll find out just how much we're using, not just when we're pissing them off. We'll also have some sort of sense of what we're getting for our $45/mo. or whatever.

Also don't forget this is by no means "automatic." Your hard-earned subscription dollars must go into purchasing, testing, and maintaining all this monitoring and additional billing equipment and software, not to mention CSRs and phone systems to handle the inevitable cases of cheesed off customers calling up to dispute their bills. Prima facia, it seems all would be better if they just let their networks run, and keep up reasonably with capacity needs. That way they're monitoring just one point (the uplink to the Internet) instead of hundreds or thousands.
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber

They are trying...

... to cap you like they are trying to do in Canada, amercians - where's the outrage against this stuff? Here in Canada we are freaking out, and maybe doing some good because of it.

All we hear is jokes from the americans. Do you think it can't happen to you?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by EdmundGerber:

... to cap you like they are trying to do in Canada, amercians - where's the outrage against this stuff? Here in Canada we are freaking out, and maybe doing some good because of it.

Maybe because the caps are much higher. Comcast's is 250GB and then they can but usually don't hammer you unless you are also in the very heaviest users on a node.

Q&A on policy:
»customer.comcast.com/Pag ··· aup-lite

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

ya
I just started monitoring my bandwidth last month
er I think I'll throw out that data as some upgrades to my router caused the snmp monitor to bug on 2 sensors

but it looks like I use about 100gb a month when trying to watch alot of 1080p streaming

so inorder to incure the wrath of comcast and get into that top 1% you've got to have a family hitting that internet pipe and use somewhere around 500gb-1tb for comcast to even care

HappyAnarchy
@iauq.com

HappyAnarchy

Anon

Yeah, the biggest trouble I don't think will be P2P so much as multiple internet connected family members. Kids playing games, parents watching streaming video, possibly individually on their own computers.

seant169
join:2003-07-21
Forney, TX

seant169

WOW Suddenlink Suddenly Disconnected

Not surprised they dont have enough bandwidth or they would not be doing this. Bandwidth is a premium on Suddenlink if you use too much they will KICK you off...unless your a spam account.

I know this to be true my roommate installed the 4th modem in a spammers residence.

Suddenlink Suddenly Disconnected

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

Again...

More price gouging for a resource that isn't as limited or as expensive as they want you to believe...
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes to Murdoc49

to Murdoc49

Re: Why?

i dont like this . never have nor will. i can under stand it from a business using them but not to the regular user
mlcarson
join:2001-09-20
Santa Maria, CA

mlcarson to buzz_4_20

to buzz_4_20

Re: Again...

Again, why isn't the answer to this the decreasing of the maximum speed rather than metered billing or caps? The answer is because the providers want to have it both ways. They want to advertise these great download speeds but don't have the infrastructure for you to actually use them. The flat rate billing has worked for decades -- there's no reason to change it except to gouge the consumer.

theWabbit
@teksavvy.com

theWabbit

Anon

+ 1
dynodb
Premium Member
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

dynodb to mlcarson

Premium Member

to mlcarson
said by mlcarson:

Again, why isn't the answer to this the decreasing of the maximum speed rather than metered billing or caps? The answer is because the providers want to have it both ways. They want to advertise these great download speeds but don't have the infrastructure for you to actually use them. The flat rate billing has worked for decades -- there's no reason to change it except to gouge the consumer.

"Decades"? Consumer broadband was practically non-existant before the mid-90's.
serpent r
join:2011-01-25

serpent r

Irritated.

If this turns into a metered billing grab, Suddenlink can kiss my business goodbye. -_-#

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to HappyAnarchy

Premium Member

to HappyAnarchy

Re: They are trying...

ya I think its far more likely to hit the large numbers with a family thats streaming digital rentals from xboxlive, netflix streaming, directv vod, itunes, maybe a little skype video

sure p2p can do it but you'd have to be downloading so much that I doubt a single person would get to close to 250gb but a family thats doing all the other stuff plus a little p2p could easily do it
PerfectCode
join:2009-06-12
Portland, OR

PerfectCode

*Sigh*

Bandwidth caps are evil.

MEohME
@wideopenwest.com

MEohME to firedrakes

Anon

to firedrakes

Re: Why?

Why not? A residential user pages a LOT less per month than a business customer. They should get more bandwidth per month to consume. They pay at times double if not triple for the same packages as residential customers.

kyjohn68
join:2010-11-21
Catlettsburg, KY

kyjohn68

Mmmmk

Bandwidth caps....pffft. This is just more gouging by these companies, they make up a "crisis" then charge the crap out of us for the made up "crisis". I call BS.
mlcarson
join:2001-09-20
Santa Maria, CA

mlcarson to dynodb

to dynodb

Re: Again...

I had ISDN Internet service in 1990. It was a flat rate. I had standard dialup service in the late 80's and that was a standard flat rate. The idea of usage based billing is coming from the telco's because they love that model; it worked so well for them with phone service (both POTS and cellular). It has no place on the Internet. It's just a potential cash cow for them.
said by dynodb:

"Decades"? Consumer broadband was practically non-existant before the mid-90's.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

How sudden.

Suddenly, Suddenlink offers users a usage meter.

Egad, Suddenlink suddenly disconnected...

Their name is pretty fitting to their practices. At least they're honest.
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer

said by Pashune:

Egad, Suddenlink suddenly disconnected...

Their name is pretty fitting to their practices. At least they're honest.

What is honest about them trying to say 25 GB a month is reasonable when their own usage meter is showing that any cap less than 100 GB a month would be outrageously unreasonable. People who use only 30% above average aren't internet hogs but the ISPs who want low caps and high overage charges sure are greedy about wanting extra turns at the trough.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

At they have a meter

BEFORE they put caps into palce. Charter had had caps for 2 years and has now been enforcing them for 4 months now and still no meter. It kind of makes since that if a company wants you to stay below a certain level that they'd give you a tool so you can avoid going over.
tech8
join:2008-03-06
Bishop, CA

tech8

bandwidth meters

As usual the biggest users are the ones whining the most. If you drive a Humvee and a Honda up to the gas station should both pay the same? If so...then obviously the Honda driver is paying
for the hummer. Bottom line is bandwidth (circuits) cost money.
Networks cost money to build, operate, and upgrade. Government
built networks just shift the costs to others via tax schemes. Usage based billing is the only fair answer to this.

DHRacer
Tech Monkey
join:2000-10-10
Lake Arrowhead, CA

DHRacer

If UBB, then I want no ads, no spam emails, etc

If you're going to charge me for every last bit and byte that gets past my modem, then I had better not be paying for all the crap I didn't request to receive like ads on webpages, spam emails and other crap that contributes to my usage total but is something that I can't block until after it gets past my modem where its then too late.

Oh, Suddenlink, you say you're just going to charge me for everything? Then go to hell, Suddenlink. I shouldn't have to stop using the connection I pay for just to avoid paying for stuff I shouldn't be paying for. Stick to flat rate pricing or watch your user base plummet...

P.S. I'm not a Suddenlink customer but I hope it doesn't "infect" my ISP with any dumb ideas...

plk
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
united state

plk

Premium Member

Where to find it

I can't find out where it is on the web site. Anyone know?
Finger2208
join:2001-04-07
Lindale, TX

Finger2208 to tech8

to tech8

Re: bandwidth meters

said by tech8:

As usual the biggest users are the ones whining the most. If you drive a Humvee and a Honda up to the gas station should both pay the same? If so...then obviously the Honda driver is paying
built networks just shift the costs to others via tax schemes. Usage based billing is the only fair answer to this.

Well, it's a pathetically stupid idea. Especially when their bandwidth meter has hit the streets with talk right when their premium email service has crapped out. SL is possibly going to have a nasty black eye with the email fiasco for a while. Especially when commercial customers like myself appear to have lost a boatload of very important email. I would not advise raising prices on high bandwidth customers for a while. Otherwise they might have way more bandwidth for the remaining customers than they need. You like the phrase "mass exodus" Gary?
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to tech8

to tech8
said by tech8:

God you are so ignorant. If you think you ISP bill is going down with usage bade billing you are deluding yourself. Keep drinking the kool-aid buddy. if ISP actually did UBB correctly most people wopuld be paying $10 a month instead of $50 but will that happen? Um no. You'll still pay $50 everyone else will pay more.
Oh by the way my $55 a month that I give to Charter goes towards all thse costs you stated.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium Member
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA

Daarken to EdmundGerber

Premium Member

to EdmundGerber

Re: They are trying...

I have not found the situation that our neighbors up north is very funny. Its so sad that I actually sent Rocky a message of support and solidarity.
Monie
join:2008-08-09
Salisbury, NC

Monie

lol 25gb really?

I use about 1.3TB a month, but I have fiber so meh. lol
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by Monie:

I use about 1.3TB a month, but I have fiber so meh. lol

gee I wonder what you are doing to use that much?
page: 1 · 2 · next