Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo
spacer
spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-03-07 08:50:16: Frontier Communications acquired about 100,000 FiOS customers in their deal with Verizon, though in recent weeks they've made it clear they don't want -- and can't afford -- to offer them TV services. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

$500 installation fee should kill off any new subscribers

Well, a $500 installation charge sure should kill off the desire of most people to get Fios TV from Frontier. I smell a lawsuit coming soon from some of the PUCs that approved this sale of some Verizon assets to Frontier.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

That is my kind of phone company.

We don't want your business so no swimming pool for the mayor.

Frontier Jacks. Isn't that the name of the general store?

CrazyFingers

join:2003-10-01
Columbia, MO

1 recommendation

Verizon has figured out "Step 2"

Step 1: Convince large numbers of consumers to sign up for your services by offering compelling technology at a good value.
Step 2 : Dump these customers on a third-rate company with neither the ability nor the will to continue offering the services you promised them.
Step 3: Profit?
--
Burrow owl...burrow owl...

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to FFH5

Re: $500 installation fee should kill off any new subscribers

I would expect that would depend of the franchise agreements that Frontier inherited from Verizon. I'm assuming that Frontier can't outright stop offering pay TV service unless subs fall below a certain number. I would also assume the franchise agreements are relatively vague about rate increases, hence it's the easiest route out of the agreements.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

They should be investigated

They should be investigated by the franchising authority in their jurisdiction. Many franchising authorities have clauses that allow the LFA to seize control of the system for material breaches of the cable franchise. They may also have a universal service clause in the contract they may have breached as well. Not everyone can get DirecTV because of line of sight issues, apartment lease terms, etc. Each franchising contract is different and varies by locality. These are just some of the terms I've seen in various franchising agreements. Some areas even mandate the cable companies give free service to schools, hospitals, nursing homes, and other government/non-profit facilities.

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA

They should get axed for misleading, deceiving franchise

agreements. They make agreements with regulators to take over and continue FIOS TV, yet within the first year since acquiring they raise prices to make customers dump? Thats nothing but covert changes to agreements through loopholes that should be made illegal. Of course, regulators tend to do nothing in this country until problems become too large.

What Frontier does you could compare this to a real life scenario.
Lets say you are a guy dating a girl with whom you want to break up. Instead being honest upfront, talk by coffee and say whats going on, you pretend to be annoying so she breaks up with you. Nothing illegal in this but kinda immature. That's right! Frontier is immature wretched company with bad management! They should have stayed rural and never get regulatory approval. But the lobbying industry in this country is on negative side too powerful. Everybody get pockets full of money, while customers get less value for same services.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: They should be investigated

Without knowing the agreements, if such stipulations do exit, that may be a reason as to why Frontier is raising rates to "entice" customers to leave instead of outright dropping pay TV service in those markets. And yes, this should be an issue handled by the local franchisors.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY
reply to chgo_man99

Instead of Obamacare.....

Instead of Obamacare, which nobody wants, why couldn't they have done something useful like Obama fiber broadband. At least it would be popular, cheaper and you know Chicago would be the first to get FiOS. I mean Home Land Security could install an off switch, the RIAA/MPAA could get what they want. Google would rule. Apple would take over the world, Facebook would be secretly purchased by the CIA..........Whoa just woke up what a horrible nightmare I just had
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Mark Twain in Eruption

old_wiz_60

join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

why is anyone surprised?

they want to kill FIOS in favor of their own junk and huge increases in fees and installation charges are the best way to get rid of customers.

How did this deal ever get through the regulatory agencies? How much money was slipped to the lawmakers to approve the dirty deal?

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to chgo_man99

Re: They should get axed for misleading, deceiving franchise

said by chgo_man99:

agreements. They make agreements with regulators to take over and continue FIOS TV

Did Frontier? I don't know the agreements, so I'm curious as to what the franchise agreements actually stipulate.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to Transmaster

Re: Instead of Obamacare.....

Because even fewer constituents want to pay for "ObamaFiber" than "ObamaCare". Can you imagine the outrage of being forced to subscribe to a minimum level of access to the Internet and to be penalized for not doing so.....with, or without this imaginary surveillance built in?

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to openbox9

said by openbox9:

I'm assuming that Frontier can't outright stop offering pay TV service unless subs fall below a certain number.

Raising the rate from $65 to $95 a month will insure that.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
That was my point. Decreasing subscriber demand might be grounds for Frontier to end the requirement to offer the service at all...all made viable if rate increase stipulations are lax in the franchise agreements

MEohME

@wideopenwest.com
reply to openbox9
Not true with those agreements. VZ's agreements have ALWAYS stated that if uptake was not at a number VZ was happy with they'd be able to stop offering TV. That number was NEVER stated which gave the company the right to do what they would want- pull out of the TV business. Frontier would have had to have those contracts transferred to them and possibly resign new ones with their names as they are NOT Verizon. And the PUCs can NOT hold them to any contract their name is NOT on nor signed.

This will be the same thing VZ will do in coming months/years to get out when their uptake does not meat their numbers to keep going. the ROI is what is going to matter and their number of FiOS TV customers do not match what they needed to start off with nor projected. Telco has been doing this all along. Look at Americast before SBC took Ameritech, ATT did this with their network to start off with and sold that to Comcast. VZ was smart and NEVER got into it until now. NONE of the VZ companies that merged to create VZ did actually. The Telcos made a mistake and now they need to get out and this is the easiest way and will help them in the end when they can write all of it off at the end of the years.

MEohME

@wideopenwest.com
reply to openbox9
You can't hold a company to a franchise agreement or any contract when they have the write to end it. There are NEVER any requirements to offer service for X amount of years or $$$ involved if they pull out. The people will still have services available with other companies and Frontier is making sure they do with DirecTV. So it's a done deal in the end.

Frontier could also claim that the PUCs do NOT have right to dictate anything with cable as it is NOT a utility in the United States leaving the PUCs and the States open to a whole new ball game.

MEohME

@wideopenwest.com
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: They should be investigated

LOL. You do realize that NOBODY from the Gov't can take anything without paying for it correct? That's the way it works. If those cities want the service network they MUST PAY FOR IT and they would be being drug through the mud when it was all said and done and going bankrupt.

The people with FiOS have other options; Cable is ALWAYS an option for those people. They had it before and can always go back to it. So saying that DirecTV wouldn't be an option is correct- but they still have options.

As far as service free to schools, hospitals, etc are a thing of the past. You must haven't read any new contracts. All those have been stripped away and most schools with the help of the state DOEs have built their own TV systems off DirecTV and DishNetwork, Nursing homes have teamed up with local cable companies and Dish providers as well. Hospitals build their own systems too. The Gov't offices do NOT need TV in their offices; they're there to work NOT to watch TV so thats a moot topic.

And investigated for what? They're org. contract with the locals with VZ was a certain uptake. That number is NEVER disclosed by VZ nor the locals. So good luck on that one. TV also is NOT a utility so the locals have NO real control over anything with TV. Any provider and up and decide they're not going to offer services in any area and walk away.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to MEohME

said by MEohME :

You can't hold a company to a franchise agreement or any contract when they have the write to end it.

I must be misunderstanding your post, because it all depends on the terms of the agreement. If a contact provides the "right" for either, out both parties to dissolve the agreement based of certain stipulations being met, then it certainly can be terminated. It happens quite frequently.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to MEohME
Wow, your posts appear to be terribly misguided.

uiopuiop

join:2002-09-27
Follansbee, WV
reply to old_wiz_60

Re: why is anyone surprised?

Where were you at during the hearings?
The unions said Frontier did not know what they were buying, and did not audit what they where getting. The approval process was backed by business and the chambers of commerce ever where.
No I'm not surprised. What surprises me is that the people that approved the Verizon / Frontier deal are making other good decisions for you!
Something has to be wrong with a deal when the guy selling you the stuff help you with the legal stuff and gives you money for the loan.
I think old Phineas Taylor Barnum said there is one born every minute!

MEohME

@wideopenwest.com
reply to openbox9

I think you read it right. Any company can back out of any contract. That's how they work. There ALWAYS is a clause for that. Just in this fact. the orginal contract stated a certain uptake in customers- ALL VZ FiOS contracts have that clause. But nobody knows the hard numbers on ANYTHING VZ does as far as that. But in all; Frontier can back out regardless due to the fact that area and all areas can NOT hold Frontier to providing services if they chooose to end service. The same goes for them offering phone service in any state. There always is a clause that states they can leave that area and only give a 90day notice.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

So?

Some Fios installs take all day. Technicians are not cheap.

What's wrong with charging the customer up front, rather than on the back end?

If this model doesn't work, then Frontier will fail, and the satellite and cable companies will pick up a lot of customers.

MEohME

@wideopenwest.com
reply to openbox9

No its the fact thats how those contracts work. It seems that you always stick up for the customer unless you feel that you should defend the company. But Frontier has the right to pull out and they will. You can't force them to offer services if they choose not to. And you can NOT pull their network from them. Frontier would SUE the states and in deed win. That's how taking a company's assets or anyone's assets work. You MUST pay fair market value for them. It works the same way when the gov't takes your land to sells it to someone to build the next big mall. The Gov't pays fair market value.

MEohME

@wideopenwest.com
reply to openbox9
And that's how the Telco's work. Look at Americast and look at when they left- just before SBC and look at what they chose to do again. They got back into the TV business. What did ATT do prior to that- they were in the TV business- they sold that too. In the end- they only got back into it only to leave again when it goes belly up due to they can't get the customers to meet shareholder demands for $$$$.

MEohME

@wideopenwest.com
reply to openbox9

People actually want the National Health Care plan. That healthcare plan actually helps you in the long wrong. You know what happens when you hit your insurance cap currently? They drop you. ALL insurance companies have that cap. There are many people that have hit that cap and still do today. The National Health Care plan helps get rid of that cap over a period of a few years to help you and the kids of the future as health care costs rise. Do you really know how much it costs to treat a child with cancer figuring the child could live to their 70s? It is NOT cheap. Would you want to pay for that? I'm sure you wouldn't and by getting rid of the cap your own child could even obtain and afford healthcare in the long run if that would happen to them.

And nobody wants national fiber except BBR. The costs to deploy such a FTTH network to everyone is NOT feasible. Qwest would even tell you and provide the numbers on such a deal.

MEohME

@wideopenwest.com
reply to elray

Re: So?

its actually cheaper for them doing it this way. and Frontier won't fail. They can still use the FTTH network for phone and Internet. Which would be great. Getting rid of a service that costs are out of control would be smart for a company their size and with as much debt.

MEohME

@wideopenwest.com
reply to openbox9

Re: They should get axed for misleading, deceiving franchise

right- you don't know the agreements but yet are bitching about the new install fees and making them keep the service. They shouldn't have to provide the service if they're not making anything. That won't do anything but force them to start raising other fees and when the states won't allow them; they'll just haul them into court and the courts will decide. After all that's the American thing. Sue. And that's what Telcos do best.

nochoice

@frontiernet.net

Some of us have no choice.

I live in an Apartment building where there is no choice. Frontier is the only person providing service to us. Comcast wiring is so old it cant handle anything they offer. Unless you just want locals. So there is no other choice.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne

$500 to install FiOSTV...

.. my God.

Frontier must be the greatest media company ever, and by that, I mean I NEVER want to be involved in their corrupt shenanigans.
--
TV: It's like the Internet only you can visit only 30-100 different sites, ever, and there's no adblock. -dwai

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to MEohME

said by MEohME :

ALL insurance companies have that cap.

No, they don't. You may have such a plan, but i can assure you that many plans do not have caps.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

1 recommendation

reply to MEohME
said by MEohME :

The costs to deploy such a FTTH network to everyone is NOT feasible. Qwest would even tell you and provide the numbers on such a deal.

I call BS on that one. Heck, with copper costs rising, deploying fiber would probably be cheaper now.

Just deploy it in stages, not the whole darn thing at once.

..and do you actually believe everything that Qwest/CenturyTel tells you?