spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-03-10 11:57:15: You might recall that Time Warner Cable saw a bit of a public relations disaster when in 2009 they tried to impose caps as low as 1GB and overages up to $2 per gigabyte. As with most of these efforts, the ISP made things worse for itself by assumi.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 recommendation

"somebody who reads email once a week"

If you have someone that reads email only once a week i.e. grandma, give them dial up. No use to have broadband if you arent going to use it that much.

Next excuse in line please

HaloFans

join:2006-12-18

Mr. Anderson

Someone put a photoshop of the CEO with Agent Smith.

megarock

join:2001-06-28
Catawissa, MO
Reviews:
·Charter

Gee...

When an internet provider is attending not a tech conference but a BANKING conference it should give you the full indication of who TWC is in bed with. If a company has profited repeatedly over the years then tell the consumer the only way they can survive is to charge you more money (unless of course you sign up for 150 channels of useless cable TV service) then one can consider it bull.

Only problem is people here in the US have their heads up their collective butts instead of sitting on their elected officials until they support a free and open internet and not one controlled by people who's sole and only motive is increased profits. If the people here stand up like they did in Canada these companies will either back off or upset the customers which in turn will upset profits when in turn - upsets the stockholders.

The only way to stop them is to stop the flow of money and if that means shutting off your internet for a few months isn't that worth the loss to save the internet you've been using for years? No money, no profits. No profits = unhappy stockholders. End of story. Contact your local officials and if your provider imposes caps and outrageous fees SHUT IT OFF and find another provider if possible. Those who take care of their customers deserve to get our business. Those who do not need to be put out of business. Since all these companies have debts to pay if their income is strangled they'll have to back down.

Nightshade
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Salem, OR

Maybe Glenn Britt Will Finally Get It

I would laugh if TW does go to a usage model and another ISP company comes in (or already exists) that does flat rate and all the TW internet customers flock to the flat rate ISP in droves.

Maybe then Britt will finally get it. Then again maybe he's too stupid not to get it at all in that he'll probably think of another lame excuse to explain as to why TW customers are leaving for the flat-rate ISPs. Ten bucks says he'll blame piracy.
--
The true patriot is motivated by a sense of responsibility, and out of self interest for himself, his family, and the future of his country to resist government abuse of power. He rejects the notion that patriotism means obedience to the state.

IIIBradIII
Comm M-E-L Instr

join:2000-09-28
Greer, SC

Because Repeating It Over And Over Magically Makes It True?

It worked for evolutionary theory.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to Duramax08

Re: "somebody who reads email once a week"

True, 100kbps should come free with TV for grandma (they can still rip her off by renting the modem).

AlexNYC

join:2001-06-02
Edwards, CO

1 recommendation

Not true

No one will pay less, but many people will pay more.

It is not true metered billing, but low caps and high overage charges.

If I use almost 0 electricity this month I will pay almost 0, but even if I turn off my cable modem, I will not pay 0 no matter what plan I choose.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to megarock

Re: Gee...

Probably less than 40% of customers would even notice the new pricing, and if the top 25% of bandwidth users canceled TWC's profit would probably only increase. Even if there was a slowdown in profit growth, a price increase on existing accounts would bring things back to normal.

QC
Premium
join:2008-03-02
Cleveland, OH

The meter's running

OK, lets say AT&T does metered billing. Could IPTV (like U-Verse) traffic be separated? Because that's Mega GIGs, and if they can separate it, I will fear them.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Abuse your internet connection day...

We should invent a new holiday, and call it abuse your internet connection day.

Everyone could find some things to download and upload, utilizing their full pipe for a 24 hour period.

It would be to protest silly per gig usage charges, caps, etc.
--
Give me bandwidth or give me death!
»/testhistory/661871/4f240

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3

Oh... wait, did I say abuse? I mean uh, fair use day,

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to AlexNYC

Re: Not true

said by AlexNYC:

No one will pay less, but many people will pay more.

....If two people are paying two different prices, one is more, and one is less?

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2

2 recommendations

You're just annoyed that they're stealing your approach, Karl.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to IIIBradIII

said by IIIBradIII:

UBB will happen. But TWC can't sell it with super low caps like they tried to do. Real UBB with reasonable caps and reasonable per GB fees will most likely happen at all major providers eventually - online video will guarantee it.
--
Record your speedtest.net results in DSLReports SpeedWave
»www.speedtest.net/wave/1b3ef29fa84ff7ce

megarock

join:2001-06-28
Catawissa, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to gatorkram

Re: Abuse your internet connection day...

Might want to call it Bring Down The Internet Day because that's what we've been told would happen if everyone could just use their connection as they see fit.

If the caps were just about abuse why not give users WELL OVER what the average user would need and just make sure there is a cap sufficient enough to deal with just them?

Because that's not what this is about nor has it ever been.

Chuck kCAR

@teksavvy.com

No one is fooled when you get your internet bill

As can be seen with Rogers and Bell in Canada under usage based billing many people see their internet bill double.

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 recommendation

reply to IIIBradIII

Re: Because Repeating It Over And Over Magically Makes It True?

said by IIIBradIII:

It worked for evolutionary theory.

Problem is, is that the theory of Evolution IS true by all the evidence I have ever seen or studied in school so the analogy fails spectacularly here...

JMHO
--
Returnil - 21st Century body armor for your PC

Valen2

@mellon.com

Repeating a Lie

They teach in business grad school that if you repeat a lie over and over the public will believe it. As the cost of providing the service decreases all they care about is increasing the cost to the customer because the pool of customers is drying up, everyone is connected.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI

Proposal: Speed AND consumption pricing models.

A while ago, I thought of a speed/consumption based model. I dont think per-gig is the answer, but there may be overages.

This is just an example

Speed:
3mb - $10
10mb - $20
25mb - $35
100mb - $70

Usage:
10gig - $10
100 gig - $20
500 gig - $35
Unlimited - $50

That way, people that need a lot of bandwidth, but may not need the speed (big file transfers, work related) can buy a large useage, but maybe a lower speed. If someone needs a lot of speed, but not necessarily a lot of usage (occasional video online, gaming), it can support them. Then, people who want a super fast connection with as much as they can download will have an option, but it will be more expensive than the rest. "Grandmas" can get a lower internet, and low usage, for the "reading the emails once a week" as a reasonable cost.

Again, these are just ballpark figures more than anything. Obviously over time, speed and consumption will increase, but a foundation where people actually have a CHOICE would be nice.

Thoughts?

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
reply to megarock

Re: Gee...

said by megarock:

When an internet provider is attending not a tech conference but a BANKING conference it should give you the full indication of who TWC is in bed with.

It's an investor conference. Where do you think money comes from to expand capacity and build infrastructure? Paying customers are only one piece.
said by megarock:

The only way to stop them is to stop the flow of money and if that means shutting off your internet for a few months isn't that worth the loss to save the internet you've been using for years?

We're a consumption, gotta have it, society and many aren't willing to make that sacrifice. Witness the continuing cost increases in pay TV.

Storage_Guy

join:2006-04-30
Benton Harbor, MI

I'll move to a business account

When this happens I will move to their $71 a month 5mbps business account with no caps.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

Time Warner Management Mis-spoke!

What the Time Warner executive really means is that as long as there is no competition Metered Broadband 'Inevitable'. I worked for a dial-up ISP whose upper management had dreams of measured usage just like AOL did. Unfortunately for their business plan, by the time they developed an accurate metering system there were so many competitive dial-up ISP's that they gave up the thought of implementing metered service. It took a while but competition forced AOL to give up measured service as well. Broadband ISP's must be regulated or consumers have no chance for reasonable pricing.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to IIIBradIII

No different than strategically repeating rumors. They will eventually take hold and become true. Try it. I've done it before at my job and it does work.

zalternate

join:2007-02-22
freedom land

How about this usage based billing model

So lets charge the customer whats fair.
So 5 cents per GB(300GB = $15) and then a monthly system access fee. Sounds fair to me. Well as long as the system access fee(for installs and, etc.) is only about $20 and not $50 per month.

Lets get rid of all that "under the line" pricing add-ons. We all know that is just B.S. intended to make the 'advertised price' look a lot cheaper than what the customer actually pays in the end.

Lets stop ISP's from charging you a 'modem rental fee', when you are 'not' renting a modem. It's just a scam to get more money out of the end user. It's also called Fraud and Theft, for pretending to be providing a product that does not exist, to the end user.

Now excuse me while I go to pay my Oxygen Tax. I didn't know there was one, but some guy in a 3 piece suit just showed up at the door alerting me about it and he has a receipt book, so it must be legit.
--
Consumer Rights is more than just a suggestion.

fptraders
Premium
join:2007-02-23
Las Vegas, NV
reply to baineschile

Re: Proposal: Speed AND consumption pricing models.

That's actually not the worst idea I've ever seen...

Expand your moderator at work

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to espaeth

Hehe, couldn't help but snicker at this one.

Nonetheless, repeating rumors over and over does tend to cause many of those rumors to take hold in my experience. So, Karl is on to something (witness many around this site) and so are these management teams to continue to harp the necessity of UBB.

Expand your moderator at work

del ftl

@comcast.net
reply to coldmoon

You fell right into the posters point. According to the CEO.. All the evidence he's seen and studied shows that per byte billing is true. I mean he has all this proof around him in the form of analyst's, trends, shareholders, and forecasters. Who are you the claim that the truth (his THEORY) is not accurate?
So in order to solidify "the truth" he simply repeats it until more and more and more people agree with him.

As an aside I do think there is some validity to evolution, but am not delusional enough to think that we have the slightest clue about how we really came to be because there's a 99% chance we're at least slightly wrong, and a reasonable chance we are completely wrong.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to fptraders

Re: Proposal: Speed AND consumption pricing models.

Thanks...is it near the bottom at least?!?!?!?!