dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-03-11 13:09:34: As we've discussed, the ACTA took all of this country's worst copyright ideas --many of them enshrined in the controversial DMCA -- made them considerably worse, then foisted them upon much of the globe with little to no real public discussion. ..

moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes

Premium Member

Another day another dollar.

Sound normal to me, $$$ talks and BS walks

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

SSDD

sounds normal to me... Screw consumers. Guarantee companies revenue via lawmaking...

castsucks
@sbcglobal.net

castsucks

Anon

I should Patton things tied to prison

I should Patton things tied to prison and make the costs so high that they will not have the funds to lock up people for hacking DRM.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Re: I should Patton things tied to prison

said by castsucks :

I should Patton things tied to prison and make the costs so high that they will not have the funds to lock up people for hacking DRM.

Is that George S. Patton or George S. Patent.

annonymiss
@comcast.net

annonymiss

Anon

Why is it

Always the same old tired bullshit.

That the consumer should be allowed to tell the manufacturer how to sell his product.

I don't care HOW bad you want it KARL, it's NOT yours to decide how it's sold.

If they want to stick it on a disc and only sell it that way, they have the right to. THE CONTENTS are thiers, NOT yours. If you don't like the terms of sale, DON'T BUY IT.

Not shocked that internet kiddies think everything should be the way THEY want it though.
scantor
join:2004-08-11
Columbus, OH

scantor

Re: Why is it

Nobody (rational) cares how the companies want to "sell their products". That doesn't make it appropriate to push through laws to make other companies (let alone governments) do their license enforcement.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to annonymiss

Premium Member

to annonymiss
said by annonymiss :

That the consumer should be allowed to tell the manufacturer how to sell his product.

If they want to stick it on a disc and only sell it that way, they have the right to. THE CONTENTS are thiers, NOT yours. If you don't like the terms of sale, DON'T BUY IT.

Not shocked that internet kiddies think everything should be the way THEY want it though.

if i buy a dvd i have the right to copy that dvd so the original gets damaged, i have a right to encode it to be playable on any portable device i own or stream it accross my home network. note that none of this is sharing on the internet or selling it.

yet all of that is ilegale according to the industry. so then, why shouldnt i be allowed to do all of the above? i PAYD for that content.

i think i have a right to have a copy just in case the disk was scratched beyond playability.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to annonymiss

Premium Member

to annonymiss
said by annonymiss :

That is always the legal option - don't buy it.

HappyAnarchy
@iauq.com

HappyAnarchy

Anon

Yeah, I have no problem with them trying to hold on to a dying model.

I do have a problem with them trying to force ISPs to do enforcement for their copyright. It is their copyright and theirs to defend. And by defend I mean ethically and legally, not by extortion and protection rackets.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to annonymiss

MVM

to annonymiss
said by annonymiss :

If your product is good, why do you have to run crying to the government? People aren't stealing it, they just aren't buying it, so they run to the government to make everyone or anyone fix their problems and pay for the right to do so. Sorry, the only thing the entertainment industry knows how to do is prevent their products from being used or purchased by the greatest number of people. Then complain when no one is buying.

Hulu is a great example. Lets have a product and then actively prevent people from accessing it. That's a great business plan..if you want to file for bankruptcy.

Rambo76098
join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH

Rambo76098

said by Kilroy:

Hulu is a great example. Lets have a product and then actively prevent people from accessing it. That's a great business plan..if you want to file for bankruptcy.

This is unfortunately too common today. Remember the Buick Grand National? Wonder why it was done away with? It gave near Corvette performance for a fraction of the price. GM decided good sales of a cheaper car were too much of a threat of some lost sales to its baby.

Gm decided to protect its baby, the "cash cow" instead of continuing with the GN, which was seen more as a red-headed step child.

Here, big cable/networks are too worried about letting their red-headed step child (Hulu) get in the way of the cash cow cable subs.
Paxio
Premium Member
join:2011-02-23
Santa Clara, CA

1 recommendation

Paxio to annonymiss

Premium Member

to annonymiss
Actually, the "tired BS" is the MPAA/RIAA wanting us (the ISP) to do their work for them for free. We are a COMMON CARRIER and we don't POLICE the internet.

It's not our business if a doctor is using our network to download your X-rays for a diagnosis, a software engineer is using it to work from home, or a kid is using it to download an MP3. To us, its just BITS so leave us alone already!
genzoulv
join:2004-10-05
Las Vegas, NV

genzoulv

I agree. It's their job to monitor for it since it's their product. They should police it themselves. Sounds to me like it's just another "big brother" excuse for invasion of privacy.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by genzoulv:

I agree. It's their job to monitor for it since it's their product. They should police it themselves. Sounds to me like it's just another "big brother" excuse for invasion of privacy.

Do you arrest people yourself who stole your bike or car? No, you let the police do it. And the police expect and can require your assistance and they don't pay you for that assistance.

Well, copyright holders enforce their copyrights, but by law they expect the assistance of ISPs who are the main purveyors of their work on the internet. Should the ISPs be paid for assisting the copyright holders in enforcing the law? I think not - that is just a cost of doing business.
Paxio
Premium Member
join:2011-02-23
Santa Clara, CA

Paxio

Premium Member

I think you misunderstand my position. I do not want to be PAID to police the internet as an ISP. I do not want to police the internet AT ALL. An ISP is just a CARRIER -- we do not source content nor do we consume it.

If you make the ISP financially responsible for CONTENT on the internet, you will force us to create "walled gardens" where we can control and guarantee the content available to our subscribers. We could be forced to block access to entire geographical regions (e.g. China and Eastern Europe) to avoid being driven out of business by the copyright holders and their mind-boggling number of requests for subscriber private information.

Don't go down this path with your eyes closed. Realize what you are about to give up before you insist making ISPs responsible for the content YOU download or source. You will not like the result, and the internet will never be the same.

wayne548
@sbcglobal.net

wayne548 to FFH5

Anon

to FFH5
So, a shop selling copy machines, or copy paper, should have to track customer information and use of the machines and paper (and at no reimbursement) because it might be used to copy a page form a copyrighted book? Have you talked to Kinkos about this idea?
Desdinova
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Gaithersburg, MD

Desdinova to annonymiss

Premium Member

to annonymiss
"That the consumer should be allowed to tell the manufacturer how to sell his product."

For me, that's not the issue. The issue is these companies foisting responsibilities of enforcement off to a neutral third party (the ISP's) when it's not and never was their job.

ISPs: How are we supposed to enforce these policies?

Entertainment Industry: That's not our problem.

ISPs: How are we supposed to differentiate between pirated content and legitimate content?

ISPs: Who pays for all of these extra processes that no one has yet developed to any kind of effectiveness so dead grandmothers and infants aren't unfairly accused of infringement?

ISPs: Well, what IS your problem?

Entertainment Industry: We're losing sales and our business models are tanking.

ISPs: That's not OUR problem.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy to annonymiss

Premium Member

to annonymiss
said by annonymiss :

C'mon, wtf is so wrong about that?
I suppose you walk around saying:
"I wish things would be the way I don't want them to be"
btw I don't believe for a second that you simply missed the point of contention with the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
You just conveniently overlooked it, again.
AwesomeMachi3
join:2008-08-15
Milwaukee, WI

AwesomeMachi3

Stop

There is only one solution. It's easy, quick, painless, healthy, sane and ultimately effective--In the interest of the human race, for the preservation of the species: Homo Sapien, to enforce natural law, to trim some fat off the bones of those who use government to strongarm citizens, as adversity against global government, to lose the battle and win the war: Stop!!

Just STOP! Stop consuming media content to which the copyright holder acts against the interest of advancing and stimulating true creative artistic expression!

Part of the advancement of beauty in art, music, culture, photography, motion picture film, sculpture and literature is making it available to others who can learn from it, build upon it and produce greater works based on the inspiration of those now passed away, who created beauty of such magnificence, it scarcely seems possible that it was wrought by the hand of man.

It's time to eradicate the cancer that is corporate copyright tyranny. We don't need chopped, sliced, diced, processed and canned media content that refuses to teach one 'how' to think for himself, but rather 'what' the machine projects onto the minds of youth:

"There Is No Truth! Anything, no matter how ugly and deceptive, is possible and permissible, because government is ultimate authority over right and wrong, elevating the minimum legal requirement to the ideal standard of moral conduct.

True beauty was once sought after, and once found brought a lifetime of joy to her beholder! But lo, people sought to be their own gods, and beauty belongs to The One True God!

So to make a mark for one's self, shock became the device! They called ugly, modern! Modern art, poetry, film, literature and music have a common thread: they require no talent to produce, and they suck!

Turn off television, do something productive with your PC and Internet connection! Create beauty inspired by God. Those who sell their labor for money shall be paid their wage, but those who create beauty shall be God's friends and playmates!

Consumption of present-day mass-media content is suicide of the mind. Seek entertainment elsewhere. Abandon torrent, emule, and all the other peer file sharing technology, and delete it from your drives like you would wash poop off your hands.

Free yourselves! Make your own media content.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

Re: Stop

said by AwesomeMachi3:

There is only one solution. It's easy, quick, painless, healthy, sane and ultimately effective--In the interest of the human race, for the preservation of the species:

Yea. Don't let Big Media manipulate your voting choices.

NV
genzoulv
join:2004-10-05
Las Vegas, NV

genzoulv

Re: Stop

Too bad the majority are sheeple and that's generally what tends to happen.
Ulmo
join:2005-09-22
Aptos, CA

Ulmo to AwesomeMachi3

to AwesomeMachi3
You're right.

Eventually we will have opportunities to do this. I wonder how much. It could be crafted by smart programmers to become more common.

But, there are still lazy-chair business models that are possible even in that futuristic world, and yes, they are mind-numbing. So, unfortunately, the theory of unprofessional acting, albeit very very good, will still leave a small sliver of marketplace for professional acting (albeit not sold using the Hollywood style).