dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-03-15 16:32:11: Time Warner Cable let us know this week that the company has launched their new TWCable TV app for the Apple iPad. ..

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Did Hollyweird sign off on Comcast's TV Anywhere offering?

Does anyone remember if Hollywood content providers signed off on Comcast's version of TV Anywhere? I don't remember any noise here on BBR when Comcast started their's up.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

got the email....

I got the email last night. not really interested in it since you have to be home using your wifi from the sounds of it. give me an app that I can stream to my android device and I will sign up immediately.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

iPad has to be at your home

The thing you may have missed is that you actually have to be IN YOUR HOME and receiving the video over the Road Runner network via WiFi IN YOUR HOME onto your iPad. It's sort of like a small wireless TV you can carry around. I can't imagine why the broadcasters would think this was a violation of the agreement. It's just another kind of TV for your home.

DeeC
Premium Member
join:2000-09-01
the world

DeeC to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: Did Hollyweird sign off on Comcast's TV Anywhere offering?

I would love to get LIVE TV anywhere....hope it is not limited to home use .....

The ONDemand Xfinity feature works really nice via the Xfinity App

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

Nice!

Credit where it's due. I'm stunned that Time Warner managed to produce something technologically relevant. If they had usable whole-home DVR to go with it, they might actually have a TV product I'd consider.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: Did Hollyweird sign off on Comcast's TV Anywhere offering?

NM

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

Until they start to charge for it.....

which is why i'm glad I have a Slingbox.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

to MyDogHsFleas

Re: iPad has to be at your home

said by MyDogHsFleas:

The thing you may have missed is that you actually have to be IN YOUR HOME and receiving the video over the Road Runner network via WiFi IN YOUR HOME onto your iPad. It's sort of like a small wireless TV you can carry around. I can't imagine why the broadcasters would think this was a violation of the agreement. It's just another kind of TV for your home.

I can and it pretty much proves several points I've tried to make over the years here. The networks in many cases dictate what the cable co can do with their programming or will at least try but the cable co always seems to get the blame..guilty or not guilty.

The networks have hidden behind the cable co cloak for a long time and when it comes to things like retrans agreements it's ooober easy for them to point the finger at xyz cable co and get you guys to buy into it.

Now you are finally gonna see the true side of these networks you didn't know about. Go gettem TWC...let them out themselves for what they are and then let the public pounce on the true culprits here. For once they might get a taste of their own medicine.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to swintec

to swintec

Re: got the email....

PlayOn for Android lets you stream full Hulu, Netflix and hundreds of internet video channels using plugins/scripts. Works great over 3G too. But you do need to run a playon server at home with net access.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

Another easy solution is SlingBox (which I actually use at home). So I can watch my home DVR either live, or play back recordings, or schedule new recordings, or do literally anything I could do if I were sitting in front of the box with a remote. And it works over WiFi and 3G, both inside and outside the home. PQ is decent if you get one of the newer SlingBoxes with HD capability (they connect with component video). They have both iPhone, iPad, and Android apps as well as a Windows viewer.
MyDogHsFleas

MyDogHsFleas to djrobx

Premium Member

to djrobx

Re: Nice!

said by djrobx:

Credit where it's due. I'm stunned that Time Warner managed to produce something technologically relevant. If they had usable whole-home DVR to go with it, they might actually have a TV product I'd consider.

TWC has a whole home DVR but it is currently available only with the high-end Signature Service, and maybe I remember seeing it was being trialed a la carte in one or two places.

CaptMelchior to corster

Anon

to corster

Its not working

I got the app this morning, It was working. Now it isnt. Thanks networks, Big help there NOT!

repreports
@rr.com

repreports to MyDogHsFleas

Anon

to MyDogHsFleas

Re: Nice!

WH-DVR is available to in any package in NYC and I think in most of Eastcoast as well.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

1 edit

Dominokat to CaptMelchior

Premium Member

to CaptMelchior

Re: Its not working

said by CaptMelchior :

I got the app this morning, It was working. Now it isnt. Thanks networks, Big help there NOT!

Same with me.
It now just hangs on the Time Warner logo.

Well, this was short lived wasn't it.

CaptMelchior

Anon

yeah. hopefully they will do something about it
blasher
join:2008-01-10
Valencia, CA

blasher

iPad video

I can geet past the login screen with my TW user name and password, but it tells me it only works with a modem authorized by TW. I have their Motorola SB4200 connected to a Belkin (I know, cheap) router. My guess is it doesn't like the router, but how do I get wireless without it, without paying TW for a home wireless network?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

In the event things get nasty....

Guys don't direct your anger at TWC if you suddenly see channels drop off the current iPad app list. The reason this would happen is purely the networks. Direct your anger at any network that dares to drop the legal card forcing TWC to drop the channel and make sure you target each of the sponsors on said network.

Make it hurt..and hurt bad. As it happens (and it probably will) lets get a list going of each network and major sponsors involved with that network (there will be overlap BUT pressure needs to be applied from all sides).

Networks can play this game....so can consumers but my hunch is you can do it better

Make it vividly clear you won't tolerate such behavior on the part of the networks. Okay that's it for my ra ra speech. It's up to you guys
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to blasher

Premium Member

to blasher

Re: iPad video

said by blasher:

I can geet past the login screen with my TW user name and password, but it tells me it only works with a modem authorized by TW. I have their Motorola SB4200 connected to a Belkin (I know, cheap) router. My guess is it doesn't like the router, but how do I get wireless without it, without paying TW for a home wireless network?

That shouldn't matter so long as you are on the TWC network and using your whatever customer credentials they give you guys. Not being a TWC customer I can't say for sure but that wouldn't make much sense. You are connecting to your router aren't you and not the neighbor on a competing network

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert

Re: In the event things get nasty....

When I tried to sign up it told me that time Warner doesn't service my zipcose. Funny. I'm watching tv at that zip code right now
Pokesomi
join:2007-11-08
Lake Forest, CA

Pokesomi to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I agree completely. The networks are causing TWC to violate their contracts with us. Sue the networks and force them to quit their complaining. They dont decide how we watch programs, we do!!!

Elector
join:2000-05-25
Albany, NY

Elector to Dominokat

to Dominokat

Re: Its not working

I received the email and downloaded the app. I then logged on "Once" and from then on a "sorry for the yada yada yada try again later message".

Gave it a bad review, and deleated it off the iPad. I noted last evening on the reviews it was down to two stars. I will log on tonight to see how far down it has dropped.

I will also note that many people that downloaded the app give different error messages. So I will wait and see if its in the cards to use at all.
56403739 (banned)
Less than 5 months left
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL

56403739 (banned) to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Re: iPad has to be at your home

What an uninformed post. I suppose you also think that authors should not be able to control where their books are published, that musicians should not be able to say where their songs are played, and that playwrights should not be able to decide where their scripts are performed.

You cable TV apologists are all alike. THE CABLE COMPANY NEEDS TO GET PERMISSION TO DO THIS. Get it? You can't just wake up one morning and start stealing content FOR PROFIT.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by 56403739:

What an uninformed post. I suppose you also think that authors should not be able to control where their books are published, that musicians should not be able to say where their songs are played, and that playwrights should not be able to decide where their scripts are performed.

You cable TV apologists are all alike. THE CABLE COMPANY NEEDS TO GET PERMISSION TO DO THIS. Get it? You can't just wake up one morning and start stealing content FOR PROFIT.

Uninformed? LOL okay if you say so. Let me help you out a bit. If TWC thought for a second they were on shakey ground this wouldn't be happening right now. They have a very well paid legal department who I'm sure has already given the thumbs up on this otherwise it wouldn't have happened. Apparently you forgot to consider that before you let your fingers do the talking.
kujars6
join:2005-05-21
French Creek, WV

kujars6

VPN?

Not saying this makes it right or anything but I would assume with some tinkering and a VPN server you could get this service working off TWC's network.