spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-03-16 12:33:06: Yesterday we noted how Time Warner Cable had launched a promising new iPad application offering thirty channels of television content. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2

I don't get it.

Why does anyone want this? I mean, you're at home, you already pay for cable so presumably you have a tv...where's the interest in a smaller box with fewer channels? What's the allure?

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

1 recommendation

Watching TV on the throne? I heard that's a popular use for an iPad.

Don't forget to flush...

kevinh90anon

@charter.com
reply to bionicRod

because steve jobs said it is amazing

castsucks

@sbcglobal.net

seem like the IO cable free VOD overload

the cable systems don't have the room at the node / head end level to do stuff like this and things like network DRV and start over does not help.

JBT

join:2002-12-06
Tucson, AZ
reply to bionicRod

Re: I don't get it.

A lot of people I know tend to use tv as back ground noise. This allows you to have a tv any where in the house in the kitchen, bathroom, garage and even outside.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3

Bad analogy

It was a great party because we ran out of beer. Now we're going to serve less beer so we don't run out.

???

Idiot.

HaloFans

join:2006-12-18

LOL

Thanks for the laughs.

Cable Guy

@comcast.net

Pre-Test Much?

Glad I work for the competition. Our stock just keeps going up.

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to JBT

said by JBT:

A lot of people I know tend to use tv as back ground noise. This allows you to have a tv any where in the house in the kitchen, bathroom, garage and even outside.

So what you're saying is that people want to carry around a portable tv so they can NOT watch it? I still don't get it. If you want noise they've been making transistor radios for the better part of a century that don't cost $600 + a cable connection + an internet connection. I think the app crashed because people with an ipad wanted it simply because it wasn't available before. I'm not sure many will use it to actually watch tv once they have it.

It just sounds like a loser of a product to me. Oh well I don't get the attraction to Jersey Shore either and look how popular that is.

Justin024

join:2010-08-11
Irving, TX
reply to Cable Guy

Re: Pre-Test Much?

...as well as the prices.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK
reply to bionicRod

said by bionicRod:

Why does anyone want this? I mean, you're at home, you already pay for cable so presumably you have a tv...where's the interest in a smaller box with fewer channels? What's the allure?

After what happened when the $30 Slingplayer app first came out for the iPhone I have a feeling half of them downloaded the app thinking that they can run the app away from the home.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

Rambo76098

join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH

Interesting...

This should show Hollywood/big cable that their customers are looking for and interested in innovation, not just current models with more DRM.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to bionicRod

said by bionicRod:

said by JBT:

So what you're saying is that people want to carry around a portable tv so they can NOT watch it? I still don't get it. If you want noise they've been making transistor radios for the better part of a century that don't cost $600 + a cable connection + an internet connection. I think the app crashed because people with an ipad wanted it simply because it wasn't available before. I'm not sure many will use it to actually watch tv once they have it.

It just sounds like a loser of a product to me. Oh well I don't get the attraction to Jersey Shore either and look how popular that is.

If you are already paying for the services anyway it does not matter.
I prefer Slingplayer app. Doesn't cost anything extra and I already have basic cable and broadband. At about $50/mo.
Don't own a tv.
There are only about 5 channels I watch out of 65.
--

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to bionicRod

said by bionicRod:

IPads have VPN capabilities like iPhones, right?...

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by cdru:

said by bionicRod:

IPads have VPN capabilities like iPhones, right?...

Yes they do. I use VPN on WiFi only iPad anytime I connect at a coffee shop; doctors office; auto dealer; etc.
--
Record your speedtest.net results in DSLReports SpeedWave
»www.speedtest.net/wave/1b3ef29fa84ff7ce

kpfx

join:2005-10-28
San Antonio, TX
reply to jjoshua

Re: Bad analogy

Yeah... pretty crappy wording by Jeff.

I think he was thinking of the saying "you know it's a good party when the police show up"

But that might have been hitting too close to home.

nukscull

@rr.com
reply to Majestik

said by Majestik:

I prefer Slingplayer app. Doesn't cost anything extra and I already have basic cable and broadband. At about $50/mo.
Don't own a tv.

Since when is $30 for the Slingplayer app not costing anything extra?

nukscull

@rr.com
reply to Cable Guy

Re: Pre-Test Much?

Comcast competes with Time Warner Cable? Where?

axiomatic

join:2006-08-23
Tomball, TX
reply to Majestik

That iPhone Slingplayer limitation was taken away long ago. You can use the Slingplayer remote (out of your home) for over a year now with At&T's blessing although your cap most definitely applies.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to nukscull

said by nukscull :

said by Majestik:

Don't own a tv.

Since when is $30 for the Slingplayer app not costing anything extra?

I was speaking of monthly fees. Most people I know pay 3x what I pay per month for tv.
--

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to axiomatic

I know. What I'm saying is that when the app first came out people paid for the app without reading that it said "wifi only". If they are willing to pay money without reading the product description I assume people would jump on this as well without realizing it is only in the home.

I have no cap.
I'm grandfathered in with unlimited 3G on my iPhone and iPad.
--

FarmerBob

join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO

What?!

A poorly planned party is when you run out of beer. Leftovers is a sign a of a good/Great party. Actually, the party is over when you run out of beer and people tend to leave and not come to "future parties".

Pokesomi

join:2007-11-08
Lake Forest, CA

Hey just so everyone knows that several channels have made a reappearance.

Less than 5 months left
Premium
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL
reply to Rambo76098

Re: Interesting...

Hollywood is threatening a lawsuit to stop this, actually...seems that TWC didn't bother to get permission for mobile distribution of the content. oops.

»www.adweek.com/aw/content_displa···a53743fb

SPQRxB

join:2011-03-03
Pennsauken, NJ
reply to Majestik

I thought that the old iPhone unlimited plan had a 5GB soft cap? I'm also grandfathered in, but I don't think I've ever come close to using that much.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
reply to kevinh90anon

said by kevinh90anon :

because steve jobs said it is amazing

LOL!!!!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
reply to axiomatic

said by axiomatic:

That iPhone Slingplayer limitation was taken away long ago. You can use the Slingplayer remote (out of your home) for over a year now with At&T's blessing although your cap most definitely applies.

Yes but the networks hate that you can. They would sell off their own mothers if they could find a way to stop it.
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to SPQRxB

said by SPQRxB:

I thought that the old iPhone unlimited plan had a 5GB soft cap? I'm also grandfathered in, but I don't think I've ever come close to using that much.

No soft cap.
--

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to bionicRod

I have 5 kids and 3 TVs... there are times when I'm in the mood for a movie or something, and all TVs are being used. Having the ability to stream stuff to a device like a lap top or an iPad is a nice alternative in those situations.

bionicRod
Premium
united state

said by JPL:

I have 5 kids and 3 TVs... there are times when I'm in the mood for a movie or something, and all TVs are being used. Having the ability to stream stuff to a device like a lap top or an iPad is a nice alternative in those situations.

I think I would buy another tv. What is an ipad, around $600? Add in the $30 / m data plan from AT&T (correct me if I'm wrong on pricing here), in 10 months you've spent $900 to watch fewer channels on a smaller screen. More than enough to buy a pretty nice, much bigger HDTV. And it keeps going at $30, forever. Don't see the appeal.