spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-03-17 09:56:18: The FCC has been running around of late telling anyone who'll listen that there's a spectrum crisis, though some FCC insiders insist the crisis is entirely manufactured to the benefit of Uncle Sam's wallet and a few major spectrum squatters. ..

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Hoarding or "slow rollout" ?

Genachowski claims that auction winners are not hoarding wireless spectrum but just waiting to roll it out when their wireless plans require it. And that all auction winners must comply with license terms requiring usage. It would be interesting to see what those license terms are and how long auction winners have to actually use what they acquired. Is it 5 yrs; 10 yrs; or whatever?
Anyone know what the auction winners licenses require?
--
Record your speedtest.net results in DSLReports SpeedWave
»www.speedtest.net/wave/1b3ef29fa84ff7ce
Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

1 edit

Re: Hoarding or "slow rollout" ?

Genachowski is absolutely wrong! If a spectrum inventory is unnecessary than that is proof there's no crisis.
patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
PCS has a rule of 75% of population covered for PCS. Covered means 0 bars, but on the phone, outdoors, call timer on the phone started ticking (-102db) when you pressed send.

PCS rules for buildout here »frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin···YPE=TEXT

You can actually meet the PCS buildout requirement simply by offering existing service on another band. Thats what Verizon and ATT do with their PCS. Sprint "rented" the PCS spectrum to Alltel in Montana for many years. Alltel never ran service on the Sprint PCS band.In exchange for not having to compete with Sprint, Alltel ran Sprint style "Vision" service on its own 800 mhz channels, and Sprint got to claim the PCS spectrum as being used. Its now a problem that Alltel was sold, and Sprint lost all coverage in Montana.

Also the PCS buildout rules only apply to the 1996 auctioned licenses. Nextwave PCS licenses dont have a buildout rule since Nextwave didn't pay the FCC for the spectrum after bidding on a ****ing huge amount of it (north east quadrant of the continental USA), then Nextwave declared bankruptcy, Judge told the FCC they can't seize it for non-payment or lack of buildout and stripped the terms from the license. Nextwave many years later sold the licenses to ATT and Verizon. They are used for a little bit of 3G data, if anything, today.

Cellular 800mhz had a 75% of square miles (not population like PCS) coverage requirement. The requirement was removed in the early 1990s by the FCC. Cellular licenses dont have to cover 75% of the square miles anymore, but I've never heard of a cellphone company tearing down towers (although coverage was cut by 25% by the transition from brick AMPS phones with 3 watt antennas to puny antennaless digital trash we call cellphones today).

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

Spectrum should be like mining rights

Use it or lose it.

HappyAnarchy

@iauq.com

I don't get it

How can you say on one hand that there is a spectrum crisis and then not want to do an inventory to see what spectrum is available and how it is being used?

It's like saying you are having a financial crisis but refusing to do a budget because you don't want to know what you are spending your money on.

Less than 5 months left
Premium
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL
kudos:2

Re: I don't get it

That's just Genachowski talking out of both sides of his ass, as usual.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2

Is Hoarding the same as..

Is Hoarding the same as "sitting on spectrum to prevent your competitor from using it?"

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

Re: Is Hoarding the same as..

It could be seen that way.

Hoarding in general is more of a gathering in the event of a shortage. I consider this more of speculation. (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoarding)

While 'some' may think that's what carriers are doing - its also for profit, and they are under the assumption that there will be a shortage (spectrum doesn't grow on trees), and will be able to sell it for a huge profit, or use it / lease it when its time.
--
Canada = Hollywood North

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

Reminds Me Of...

Commissioner Genachowski's attitude reminds me of the old police saying, "Nothing to see here, move along". I am a firm believer in the phrase "where there's smoke there's fire". The fact that the FCC absolutely refuses to do an inventory tells me there is something they do not want being found out.

I guess the payoffs under the table to the FCC are working...
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6

New Spectrum Won't Benefit Me-VZW not using the old

It may be simultaneously true that
a) companies aren't using the wireless spectrum that they have licensed
b) wireless companies aren't using the spectrum they already have

I live in the dark ages

Poor VZW signal where I live

More wireless spectrum to VZW won't help me one bit. However, letting companies "buy" spectrum just to sit on it doesn't help anyone at all. There needs to be a claw-back clause to get unused spectrum back.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Cape Cod, MA -- KE1MO
Tweet! Tweet! -- »twitter.com/funchords
algollyer

join:2010-01-08
Forest Hills, NY

note from WISPA.org

»www.wispa.org/?p=4211

Do you have little or no access to broadband (high speed) Internet? Then forward this note to your Congressman to get this fixed.

SPECTRUM AUCTIONS ARE KILLING WISPS AND ARE PREVENTING AMERICANS FROM HAVING BROADBAND.