dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-03-21 08:26:41: AT&T has announced a deal with Deutsche Telekom to acquire T-Mobile, the country's fourth largest wireless provider. The $39 billion deal gives Deutsche Telekom an 8% stake in AT&T, and a spot on AT&T's Board of Directors. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 9 · 10 · 11 · next
tpkatl
join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

tpkatl

Longtime T-Mobile customer, now I'll move to Sprint

A shame. T-Mobile treated me pretty well over the years. And I was loyal to them. I won't be an AT&T customer a second longer than I can help it.

Sprint, here I come.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

holy crap

AT&T going to take over the market or what?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Duramax08:

Will the DOJ & FCC approve this deal?

Will Verizon now buy Sprint/Clearwire to combine the CDMA and Wimax converting to LTE crowd? Leaving only 2 major wireless providers in US - AT&T & Verizon.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

bombshell

Wow. Didn't see this coming.

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

1 edit

jchambers28

Premium Member

If u can't beat them join them

This is bull shit now were down to 1 GSM provider.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to tpkatl

MVM

to tpkatl

Re: Longtime T-Mobile customer, now I'll move to Sprint

I don't know if Sprint will be my destination, but I'm not looking forward to writing checks to AT&T either.

holocron
Premium Member
join:2004-06-28
Mount Vernon, NY
Netgear R7500v2

holocron

Premium Member

AT&T-Mobile ... bunch of bunk

Well, that sucks, to put it straight out there.

I switched from AT&T a few years back to T-Mobile pre-paid. Saved money AND I was able to get coverage in my home. Unlike AT&T.

Well, there goes that. 12 more months of bliss I suppose until it morphs into AT&T-Mobile .. HA HA HA!!!

Time to re-evaluate I suppose...bummer.
zed2608
Premium Member
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN

1 recommendation

zed2608

Premium Member

this deal should be blocked

but it wont be at&t will problem spend a billion or so dollors lobbying for it maybe throw in wimpy conditions

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

Re: holy crap

"This transaction represents a major commitment to strengthen and expand critical infrastructure for our nations future,

And limiting everything. Future might be bright but wont be that bright.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
join:2002-12-04
Howard Beach, NY

1 recommendation

MEDIAN2k3

Premium Member

aww they ruined christmas

I am just in shock, so I guess that means there is no more GSM competition out there.

I wonder how things will change.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: holy crap

said by FFH5:

said by Duramax08:

Will the DOJ & FCC approve this deal?

Will Verizon now buy Sprint/Clearwire to combine the CDMA and Wimax converting to LTE crowd? Leaving only 2 major wireless providers in US - AT&T & Verizon.

Well, I said it years ago. In the next 20 years, there will be only 2 phone companies: AT&T vs Verizon. And 2 cable companies: Comcast vs Time Warner Cable (Unless they get assimilated too as Comcast is fond of doing to competition.)

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki

Premium Member

April Fool's?

Damn, it's March 20th

I left AT&T for T-Mobile and actually got better service. I wonder how this pans out now...

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

Goodbye AWS?

So post-merger, do they mothball the AWS network, and stop selling AWS phones?

Any bets?
zed2608
Premium Member
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN

zed2608 to Tokidoki

Premium Member

to Tokidoki

Re: April Fool's?

said by Tokidoki:

Damn, it's March 20th

I left AT&T for T-Mobile and actually got better service. I wonder how this pans out now...

from service prospective as long as at&t doesnt shutdown towers the service should be same if not better since your have more towers covering larger area

but as with any such huge purchese there only way to get the money back is to cut some towers out you just have to hope the one near you isnt the one they get red of (some towers are under contract to so might be few years before they tear it down or they may keep it up because of growing bandwith needs)
stridr69
join:2003-05-19
San Luis Obispo, CA

stridr69 to MEDIAN2k3

to MEDIAN2k3

Re: aww they ruined christmas

Not for the better, I'm afraid. Like all those phones that aren't compatible with AT&T's 3G, 4G network for one. That great customer service that T-Mobile offered will be gone. UMA=gone.

I hope the feds turn this one over, but, not holding my breath. We lost a great local carrier this January(CellularOne) to AT&T and I let my account die with the changeover. I'll do the same with T-Mobile. I want NOTHING to do with AT&T. Period!

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Yay!

2 GB caps for everyone! Yay!
xur17
join:2003-03-26
Cincinnati, OH

xur17

3g Frequencies

I wonder what is going to happen to their 3g frequencies (since each support different frequencies). Phones normally only work with one of the carrier's 3g frequency.

Are they going to support both?
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

3G is going the way of the dinosaur anyways

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki to zed2608

Premium Member

to zed2608

Re: April Fool's?

said by zed2608:

said by Tokidoki:

Damn, it's March 20th

from service prospective as long as at&t doesnt shutdown towers the service should be same if not better since your have more towers covering larger area

but as with any such huge purchese there only way to get the money back is to cut some towers out you just have to hope the one near you isnt the one they get red of (some towers are under contract to so might be few years before they tear it down or they may keep it up because of growing bandwith needs)

Yeah, that's a given but I hope cost doesn't go up. On a family plan and it's priced alot better when we checked out Verizon/ATT. Grandfather or not.
jmmilner
join:2001-11-20
Yorkville, IL

jmmilner

Guess those T-Moble commercials hurt!

I'm sure that if AT&T is willing to pay $39B for T-Mobile, they won't mind spending another $1B to buy whatever votes they'll need to get it approved. I'm sure $1.85M per member of Congress is above fair market value for a vote these days.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

2 edits

FFH5

Premium Member

AT&T details on the deal and more info to come

On Monday, March 21, 2011, at 8 a.m. ET, AT&T Inc. will host a live video and audio webcast presentation regarding its announcement to acquire T-Mobile USA. Links to the webcast and accompanying documents will be available on AT&T's Investor Relations website. Please log in 15 minutes ahead of time to test your browser and register for the call.
»www.att.com/gen/landing- ··· pid=5718

For dial-in access, please dial +1 (888) 517-2464 within the U.S. or +1 (630) 827-6816 outside the U.S. after 7:30 a.m. ET. Enter passcode 8442095# to join or ask the conference call operator for the AT&T Investor Relations event.

The webcast will be available for replay on AT&T’s Investor Relations website on March 21, 2011, starting at 12:30 p.m. ET

FFH5

FFH5 to tpkatl

Premium Member

to tpkatl

Re: Longtime T-Mobile customer, now I'll move to Sprint

said by tpkatl:

A shame. T-Mobile treated me pretty well over the years. And I was loyal to them. I won't be an AT&T customer a second longer than I can help it.

Sprint, here I come.

What will you do when Verizon buys Sprint in reaction to AT&T T-Mobile deal?

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo

Re: bombshell

said by morbo:

Wow. Didn't see this coming.

No kidding. That was a "Wam! Bam! Wtf just happened!?" moment right there. Ive never even seen this take over talked about.

OCZ
The Former Pocket
join:2009-05-15
Saint Paul, MN

OCZ

What does this mean for...

Does this mean that T-mobile users can get the iphone?

Alakar
Facts do not cease to exist when ignored
join:2001-03-23
Milwaukee, WI

Alakar

WTF?

I guess Deutsche Telekom decided it was easier to bail on the US market. This is horrible for T-Mobile customers.
raye
Premium Member
join:2000-08-14
Orange, CA

raye

Premium Member

No

At this rate, we will be back to 1984, when AT&T had 100% of telecom market. Rare that I as a free-market capitalist ask for government intervention, but I hope that regulators put a stop to this merger. I cannot see any scenario where this is positive for humanity in any way, except for the board members of AT&T and Deustch Telecom.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

4G

Is 4G on the fast track for ATT now?

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk

Premium Member

More bullshit

The only reason for AT&T to buy T-Mobile is to squash competition. No way in hell this should be approved by regulators (though we know it will be).
mahermusic
TRUMP LOST LOL
join:2001-07-06

mahermusic

Mods, Please delete

Mods, please delete.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to corster

to corster

Re: Goodbye AWS?

Probably not. ATT needs the spectrum. But I bet they put LTE on 1700 as quickly as possible, slowly phasing out hspa+ on aws.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 9 · 10 · 11 · next