dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-03-21 08:57:32: If you think you can write something of interest for our readers then we'd like to talk. We have budgeted $50,000 this year to encourage unique articles that we will then highlight on the home page. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to zed2608

Premium Member

to zed2608

Re: id rather see dslreports get into isp bussnuss

Yeah, the 50k just needs a few more 0's at the end.
Expand your moderator at work
zed2608
Premium Member
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN

zed2608 to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

they can start by offering dialup im sure lots on here would get it be good backup for when other internet goes out and help site grow (wonder how much it would cost to offer dialup internet service)

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium Member
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA

2 recommendations

pokesph to exocet_cm

Premium Member

to exocet_cm

Re: some Success to follow Success

said by exocet_cm:

It is like the "USA Prime Credit" commercial. After fees and conversion costs it actually comes out to 1 dollar.

Thanks for that information uhh, umm 'Peggy'

FastiBook
join:2003-01-08
Newtown, PA

FastiBook

I'll have to think about it.

While i'm sure i could write something i like, i'm not sure how many others would like it, so i'll have to think about it.

- A

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

Mobile App

How about taking a portion of your wealth amassed from advertising on this site and have a good mobile app developed for browsing and posting to the forums.
rdmiller
join:2005-09-23
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

rdmiller

A vacation for Karl?

Does this mean Karl won't have to work 52 weeks a year?

MerinX
Crunching for Cures
Premium Member
join:2011-02-03

MerinX

Premium Member

Great stuff

Awesome news i will have to click more ads on the site to help support the moneys!

Jovi
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Mount Joy, PA

2 recommendations

Jovi to rdmiller

Premium Member

to rdmiller

Re: A vacation for Karl?

said by rdmiller:

I was gonna say, Justin wont buy him a new hamster to power the wheel for all his office equipment so he is looking for ways to cover his butt.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland

Premium Member

I'd never get published here

I tend to have a more laissez-faire, market based approach to problems, nothing I ever wrote would get published on this site.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 edit

1 recommendation

Dustyn

Premium Member

Want To Write For Broadband Reports?

I tried submitting quality stories in the past but only had one or two published. I've noticed it's mostly Karl Bode See Profile who get's published anyways. There are only a few others who get noticed too. Years ago I had certain stories on the front page and found many other members stories accepted too... not so much these days. I found there was a much more in depth variety of stories from many different posters. Those stories for submission got near instant approval. I lost interest trying to submit stories when I noticed that the daily stories now all come from the same person each and everyday... along with one or two other contributers. If anything I'm sure BBR has recieved a lot of unique insightful stories... but they were never published as it didn't meet a standard of some sort.
Dustyn

Dustyn to rdmiller

Premium Member

to rdmiller

Re: A vacation for Karl?

said by rdmiller:

that made me laugh
56403739 (banned)
Less than 5 months left
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL

56403739 (banned) to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode

Re: Could you...

I could write a scathing behind-the-scenes expose about being a moderator at a high-traffic broadband tech site, but I doubt you'd pay me for that...

Actually, this is a decent idea (paid stories, not my smart-ass comment). It takes a lot of time to research and construct a compelling article (I've written several about embedded systems hardware and programming) and compensation for that effort might pull some talented folks off the bench. It might help if you gave a little better idea of what you are looking for. As you mentioned, consumer broadband is a huge field.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
When you say "all over the map" I was hoping I could write a few how to articles. If it isn't just news, I could be interested. Things like home networking etc. Would that be OK?

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

1 recommendation

batterup to exocet_cm

Premium Member

to exocet_cm

Re: some Success to follow Success

said by exocet_cm:

It is like the "USA Prime Credit" commercial. After fees and conversion costs it actually comes out to 1 dollar.

Cash? He want cash. ROTFLMAO.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· &list=UL

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to zed2608

Premium Member

to zed2608

sure. i'd get it if I still had a landline.
zed2608
Premium Member
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN

zed2608

Premium Member

said by ArrayList:

sure. i'd get it if I still had a landline.

cant get red of landline here only option would be voip cell phone coverge is vary poor
OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you
join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA

OmagicQ

Real cash...whoa

DSLR is actually offering cash instead of something like a free membership or tool points? Awesome.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode

Re: Could you...

So this $50,000 could be spread over by more than one person?

I might be game, I just need to learn how to proofread my stuff.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to fifty nine

News Guy

to fifty nine
Yes, home networking discussions, review of new gear, and how to articles would be great!
Karl Bode

Karl Bode to J E F F4

News Guy

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

So this $50,000 could be spread over by more than one person?

I might be game, I just need to learn how to proofread my stuff.

Yes, it will be spread out over numerous people. We can help you with proofreading.
Maggs
Premium Member
join:2002-11-29
Jackson Heights, NY

Maggs

Premium Member

1099s

So will you issue 1099s for the money you pay the writer? They are on the hook for the SS, Medicare, taxes, etc.
mcbigham
Premium Member
join:2004-10-10
Shreveport, LA

mcbigham to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

50k.00

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn

Re: Want To Write For Broadband Reports?

But was BBR actively seeking and have a declared budget for articles at the time? And Karl's content gets published because he's the salaried news guy and has to show up for work daily whether he wants to or not.
Note: your post was edited as I was finishing my response. I did not review changes.

Karl, about "... that we will then highlight on the home page."
Is the plan is to integrate accepted articles into the current scroll of news items? I'd like to see them sticky at top for a period then rolled to a dedicated forum. It provides added incentive to create quality. I'd also suggest defining what constitutes a transient news item and require submissions to be of long(er)-form reference value. Industry news coverage is pretty good but the site could use a semi-regular supply articles not focused on current events.
ssjtiamat
join:2003-12-26
Geneva, IL

ssjtiamat to Maggs

to Maggs

Re: 1099s

Good question.

I currently write for various other sources and would be interested in the BBR offer. They say they will try to compete with the various other entities in the market but do not list their prices anywhere.. interesting.

As for 1099's, I believe up to a certain amount it is your responsibility. After that it is theirs.

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

1 edit

jap to Maggs

Premium Member

to Maggs
said by Maggs:

So will you issue 1099s for the money you pay the writer?

Payee is required to only if compensation exceeds $600 within the tax year. If you're paid $590 and do not receive a copy of the 1099 showing payer has reported it to the IRS then they didn't report it.

As to FICA you pay it if you're filing as self employed (not anyone's employee). Not sure how it works if it's simply additional income.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore

Premium Member

Good Idea

I've seen a lot of interesting posts here from people who would be capable of writing the kind of articles being requested. I hope they see this solicitation and decide to participate.

I'll pass the word on to people I know who might be interested.

BronsCon
join:2003-10-24
Fairfield, CA

1 recommendation

BronsCon to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode

Re: How do you pay?

I know a girl that bills based on length and overall quality.
page: 1 · 2 · next