spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-03-21 13:46:32: After surprising everybody with their Sunday announcement that they'd be buying T-Mobile for $39 billion, AT&T today began the difficult process of trying to convince the public and regulators that eliminating one of the four major carriers -- while .. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

VerizonCynic

join:2006-10-25
Lakewood, CA

start writing now

»www.marketwatch.com/story/why-at···11-03-21

(MarketWatch) — AT&T Inc.’s surprise $39 billion deal to acquire T-Mobile USA stunned the telecom sector Monday, giving a lift to several telecom companies, but sending Sprint Nextel Corp. shares into the red as the No. 3 U.S wireless carrier was seen as the big loser from the deal.

AT&T shares edged up 2% to $28.52 after the No. 2 wireless carrier in the U.S. said it would acquire T-Mobile, the nation’s No. 4 mobile-phone company, for $25 billion in cash and the remaining $14 billion in AT&T stock. Deutsche Telekom AG the parent company of T-Mobile, saw its U.S.-traded shares climb as much as 14% following the deal’s announcement.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to fifty nine

Re: So glad I just left for Verizon

said by fifty nine:

No FiOS for you! You'll take capped LTE and enjoy it!

..if we even see LTE here.. Maybe in 3-5 years (which is typical).

For now, I'll enjoy my unlimited smartphone 3G goodness. No extra fees here and no bill-in-a-box.

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

Its going happen no matter how many signatures you get

Its going to happen no matter how many signatures you get. Just look at centurylink and qwest? look at comcast and NBC? look at verizon wireless and alltel wireless? only 2 big players I see in wireless is going to be ATT and Verizon.

ATT wireless already bought out:
cingular
Centennial Wireless
now T-Mobile.

if anything happens big would be verizon wireless buys out sprint then verizon would be the biggest wireless carrier.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to VerizonCynic

Re: can we call it AT&T&T ?

said by VerizonCynic:

lol. We also need a new "death star" logo

Just convert the "death star" into the Borg cube and they'd be all set for this decade.

"You 'WILL' be assimilated into the collective!"

S_engineer
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

reply to VerizonCynic

May I present to you...Mr. and Mrs. T

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

Did they really say "lower prices"???

Really?

How utterly and incredibly insulting.
--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

TCub
Premium
join:2008-09-03
Olmsted Falls, OH
kudos:4
reply to WeSRT4

Re: Petition to deny approval

I was thinking the same thing this morning. I'd bet there would be plenty of signatures. I don't think anyone started on yet.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

But just look at how they have basically hung out many customers in rural and even suburban areas to dry

Why does Verizon always get criticized for this while T-Mobile gets a pass in spite of the fact that they haven't even bothered to serve those same markets?

Punch up T-Mobile's coverage map for rural America and compare it against Verizon. It's not even close. In my area of Upstate NY T-Mobile is useless the minute you leave the city or wander more than two miles off the interstate.

I realize you are talking about the wireline side of Verizon as opposed to the wireless side but I've never been able to figure out why T-Mobile is immune to this criticism while Verizon is ripped for it. At least with regards to wireless service Verizon makes an effort to reach rural customers.

MyEye
The eyes have it
Premium
join:2004-06-07
Natick, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to n2jtx

Re: Hope It Fails - covering my eye.

said by n2jtx:

I have a 500 minute a month plan with unlimited nights and weekends for $29.99/month without a contract. Am I stupid enough to think AT&T will let me keep THAT plan as long as I choose to be a customer? Fat chance! They will probably tell me I need an unwanted smartphone (have an iPod Touch 4 that I am happy with) with 300 minutes a month, text package and data plan for $89.99.

Yes, 500! Me too ... the non-contract part was a welcome path to purchase a non-advertised Nokia phone which meets all my needs and works with well with T-mobile. I probably could have predicted something like this would happen, though. It almost always follows a product purchase that I can really afford and am totally satisfied with ... like a few obsolete artifacts floating around my Warehouse 13 basement!

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1
reply to Gbcue

Re: AT&T-Mobile

And it's not really 4G either

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to n2jtx

Re: Hope It Fails

said by n2jtx:

I am all for competition and I hope the FTC sees this for what it is. If anything, I could accept a buyout if it was something along the lines of Rogers/Fido in Canada. A wholely owned subsidiary that was free to set its own rates and plans. They could share the network but would each retain their own customers.

That's not the way it is... Fido is just a brand of Rogers.... nothing like the Fido before they got bought out
--
Do your part to stop UBB - »www.stopthemeter.ca
Ontario can lead again - Tim Hudak and the Ontario PC Party in 2011

old_wiz_60

join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Lower prices? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Coming from AT&T it is the funniest thing I've heard in weeks.

The merger will go through cause AT&T owns enough Congressmen and key people in the regulatory agencies. There will be "conditions" that are supposed to protect consumers but the conditions will be so weak or ignored as to be worthless.

It will definitely mean higher prices and more fees.

Anytime you hear a wireless provider or cable provider or internet provider talk about "lower prices" you know you are hearing lies.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6

said by old_wiz_60:

Anytime you hear a wireless provider or cable provider or internet provider talk about "lower prices" you know you are hearing lies.

Ain't that the truth there.

WeSRT4

join:2000-11-20
Mobile, AL
reply to S_engineer

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

It amazes me how anyone could think that

this merger would mean lower prices & better coverage

I mean, I have seen several on other forums state that and I wonder what world they are living on.

This high price of acquiring T-Mobile will shortly lead to a heavy increase in fees while AT&T claims better service yet I doubt anyone sees even the slightest bit of an increase in coverage

cerone

join:2001-10-28
Hollywood, FL

My oh My

at&t and T-Mobile... I left at&t because of customer service. T-Mobile is #1 in that department. Grant it at&t has the better smart phones by far, T-Mobile was always there for me when I needed to make a late payment. at&t would cut your line until you were able to pay.
I don't know, I just don't know

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Crookshanks

said by Crookshanks:

I realize you are talking about the wireline side of Verizon as opposed to the wireless side but I've never been able to figure out why T-Mobile is immune to this criticism while Verizon is ripped for it. At least with regards to wireless service Verizon makes an effort to reach rural customers.

Because T-Mobile has never billed themselves as being a rural cellphone provider or having as large of a rural footprint as AT&T or Verizon have. T-Mobile has always been a predominantly highway and major city provider since it was VoiceStream.

T-Mobile also hasn't built up an area only to offload it to an inferior sucker alternate carrier who struggles to provide even standard services at a competitive price. Well, at least until they sold out to AT&T.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

1 recommendation

reply to treichhart

Re: Its going happen no matter how many signatures you get

said by treichhart:

ATT wireless already bought out:
cingular
Centennial Wireless
now T-Mobile.

It's the other way around for Cingular. Cingular was a joint venture between SBC and Bell South. They bought AT&T, then proceeded to use the name AT&T. For the most part, the people that were in charge of Cingular are now in charge of AT&T Wireless.
--
Dresden - I work in Accounts Payable.
Random Bad Guy - In what capacity?
Dresden - I make sure everyone gets what's coming to them.

TypeNameHere

@tmodns.net
reply to cerone

Re: My oh My

said by cerone:

Grant it at&t has the better smart phones by far

Excuse me ?
Since when ?

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

next gen wireless?

...what, with a 2 GB cap?

Unless wireless can deliver more than some stupid low capped amount it's pretty much worthless. I know some have 'unlimited' plans somehow, and that's nice, but what about moving forward?

My parents, for example, could do with more than the 5GB Sprint cap. Now here comes AT&T, which probably wouldn't have more than EDGE coverage where they are anyway, promising the world...

There are all kinds of places that don't have DSL which would gladly pay for it, yet they still don't bother to expand service very often. Smaller, more rural telcos manage to trench fiber to more nodes and more obscure places than I EVER imagined, yet AT&T can't be bothered to do much.

This "promise" coming from the same company that's not motivated to provide even basic DSL outside of existing footprints for YEARS, if ever, and then having the nerve to cap it while citing questionable reasoning - is an affront.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to WeSRT4

Re: Sprint

How about MetroPCS?

meowmeow

join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT
reply to Simba7

Re: The Moffit update:

And I really believe that's what we're going to get. I can't use my new phone (a Samsung Captivate) until April 12 so I'm not sure yet. But:

1. They gave me a Samsung Captivate for free to replace an old Blackberry Tour (I could have also picked the Blackberry Torch, HTC Aria, BlackBerry Curve, Palm Pre Plus, or any Windows Phone 7).

2. I get to keep my Alltel plan.

3. They're going all-HSPA and massively expanding backhaul. People in areas already converted are reporting speeds approximately 4-5 times what Alltel's were.

4. They're planning to "jump on a moving train" so to speak and rapidly expand Alltel's coverage (which is already much better than Verizon's here)

How is any of that BS?

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to WeSRT4

Re: Petition to deny approval

said by WeSRT4:

I'll be signing it for sure. Let's get it going!

It won't matter.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Zulu

join:2008-03-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL

$39 Billion

AT&T posted $20 billion in net income (on revenues of $124 billion) for 2010.

So, they blew that income. None went as investment to current "wired" customer's products I'm sure.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to WeSRT4

Just drop the ampersands...

ATTT-Mobile

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1
reply to fifty nine

Verizon may not be a nicer company, but they at least invest money in their network, while taking all of our money

AT&T finds every way to invest as little as possible and still charges us the same amount as verizon for a vastly inferior product

rradina

Chesterfield, MO
reply to WeSRT4

Of course this rolls off the tongue easier...

TATT-Mobile

TheTruth

@spcsdns.net

Vote with your $

Sign all of the petitions you want, but the merger will go through because of the $ that at&t is pumping into the regulators. It's just reality.

T-Mobile customers: Don't like how things are heading? Vote with your wallet ($), just move your service/phone number to Sprint. They're offering $125 port-in credit right now (until 4/16/11). If you have plenty of $$$ and don't mind paying more, V might even be a option for you.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO
reply to Storage_Guy

Re: If my plan changes

Verizon will now have to buy Sprint. Perhaps US Cellular? I know they aren't exactly nationwide but they topped the ratings in the Midwest and have the long standing free incoming calls policy...

I used to have them several years ago until I wanted an iPhone.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
japan
kudos:2
reply to posthaste

Re: Just Sayin'

AT&T is not a monopoly. The company is the same to pre-1984 AT&T in name only.