spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-03-22 16:29:15: While the consumer response to AT&T's T-Mobile is generally negative, AT&T's fortunate in that the deal at least has shifted media attention away from AT&T's recent decision to start charging DSL and U-Verse users overages. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

Gami00

join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

people can rest assured

that service/billing will be the same after the merger..

at&t levels of service/billing.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

Lemme Guess

I'm willing to bet that in 100% of these cases, the meter claims the user always used more than he actually did use.
--
"Net Neutrality" zealots - the people you can thank for your capped Internet service.

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Does TV count towards the cap for UVerse?

How are they gonna separate it if not?
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

cox internet

My cox internet is sounding better all the time. Even with their 250GB "soft" cap

sludgehound

join:2007-03-12
New York, NY

Plug & Pay

He who has the gold makes the rules.....

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to pnh102

Re: Lemme Guess

well, i can tell you this from experience.
I have charter, and they have so called "soft caps" on the ultra60 tier. I monitor my usage thru my router, and I average 2TB per month. When charter called after I had used over 4TB, and they had an accurate number(only a few GB off of mine, and in a lower direction), it shows that it is possible to monitor accurately. AT&T does not want to do this, as it can easily overbill users, and make more money. They probably aritifically inflate the data count with padding packets. A good test would be to have a service line with them, and then have nothing on it for several months, leaving only the DSL modem on, and nothing connected to it. I suspect that this is AT$T charging you for standard routing protocols and communications between the DSL modem and the DSLAM/headend. Any users of AT$T try this yet?

tim85254

join:2010-07-15

3 recommendations

Relevant state department of weights and measures...

Every deathstar user that doesn't have the option to quit should all write the attorney general in their respective state pointing out this inaccuracy.

These meters tie directly to the bill. They should not be treated any differently from the scale in the deli (has a state certified sticker that its accurate) or a gas pump.

Every bill that's inaccurate should be disputed too. Not just through the deathstar's complaint channels, but through attornies general.

Every time. Every bill. Make UBB cost these greedy bloodsuckers more than they ever dreamed it could.

That's the way to nip this usage-based-billing BS in the bud. When the attorney general of every state afflicted with the AT&T cancer raises questions of whether their meter could be certified - I bet that's when some suit at AT&T realizes "Oh, wait a minute, this is going to be really expensive to implement."

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:42
reply to heat84

Re: Does TV count towards the cap for UVerse?

No, U-Verse IPTV content is not included. That traffic is already managed separately.

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA

IPhone users...

Don't forget to reset your data counter in iPhone in next billing cycle. Then please report how much your data reports usage at the end of month and hoe much att wireless website. Those who already did that please share.

Comcast, att dsl or uverse users also welcome to post reports between their providers and statistics from broadband routers/firewalls.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to sludgehound

Re: Plug & Pay

What about the spice?

WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX
reply to chgo_man99

Re: IPhone users...

said by chgo_man99:

Don't forget to reset your data counter in iPhone in next billing cycle. Then please report how much your data reports usage at the end of month and hoe much att wireless website. Those who already did that please share.

Comcast, att dsl or uverse users also welcome to post reports between their providers and statistics from broadband routers/firewalls.

I am really torn. Who should I believe, Comcast or my lying eyes ??

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL

Points of clarification

U-Verse meters shouldn't be too screwed up...as long as video traffic isn't counted (it doesn't add incremental bandwidth costs like unicast data so it shouldn't be counted...and AT&T probably doesn't want it counted). PPPoE overhead means that, on a 1500 byte packet, you get 1492 bytes of data. So 0.5% inflated.

ATM OTOH is where all bets are off. 53 byte cells carrying 48 bytes of data is 10.4% worth of overhead. Add to PPPoE overhead and you get about 11% overhead. So your 150GB plan just became 135GB.

You can layer in TCP overhead and such beyond that if you really want to, resulting in 86% of the data being sent/received being the stuff you really want, instead of overhead/headers. This brings the overhead count up to 16.2%, giving you around 129GB for your 150GB package.

Which sucks.

Comcast's usage meter is much nicer. They filter out all of the multicast/ARP noise (a few GB per month) that happens on a cable system, plus other forms of overhead (Comcast doesn't use PPoE or ATM, so overhead is significantly lower) so you end up with a usage meter that reports LESS than what DD-WRT does. Plus it's a soft cap.

I would say "I hate to say it" but I don't, when you compare to AT&T...Comcast did their meter correctly, and AT&T is screwing theirs up, big time. Especially since the numbers I listed above don't even reflect the reality that people are seeing with the usage meter...the meter is all over the place!

Harrakis

@myvzw.com
reply to mix

It must flow!

tivoboy

join:2004-05-10
Menlo Park, CA

timing

I think one can really only compare these over greater periods of time. The AT&T usage meter MIGHT be using GMT for days, and depending on where one is their reported usage by 'their day' might be off by a lot. I know I setup large downloads for MY NIGHT, and it shows up in the later evening of the previous day. Whereas, that would be the FOLLOWING day in GMT terms

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

reply to WernerSchutz

Sarcasm is not welcome.

The study is mor helpful than you think. It does not matter if you only believe what your router reports. In fact it can report more than ISP, counting broadcast messages and other garbage.

And second it is easier to fight innacurate billing with evidence than sarcastic insulting remarks. Either be adult and stop starting flaming wars or pack and leave to watch next rodeo at your hometown.

zed2608
Premium
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN
kudos:1
reply to Gami00

Re: people can rest assured

said by Gami00:

that service/billing will be the same after the merger..

at&t levels of service/billing.

correction service/billing will get worse making pre merger at&t look perfecft

dmxrob6
Premium
join:2005-06-24
Boonville, MO

So where is this meter?

I keep seeing people post about it, post snapshots, but I've yet to see any actual link to a meter!

Desdinova
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Gaithersburg, MD
reply to mix

Nah, they just rule the known universe and make Sting wear wing-tipped Speedos.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to Chubbysumo

That's not going to work. If it has an IP address, there will be traffic hitting it. You cannot escape being scanned.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

Wait until subscriber goes on vacation.

Subscriber goes on vacation for a month and that month is the same as the measurement period. The customer finds that they have used 35GB of data when they were not even home. Of course AT&T-Mobile will claim that someone stole their bandwidth. Complaints will fall on deaf ears since the lawmakers ears will be filled with campaign contributions graciously provided by AT&T-Mobile. LOL Subscribers!

WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX
reply to chgo_man99

I do not watch rodeo.

All the evidence in the world does not matter as long as the ISP's have the politicians in their pockets, it is a waste of time. What makes you think that the governmental entities that should be breaking monopolies/duopolies and punishing collusion agreements would give a damn about inaccurate billing ?

bobbycito

join:2005-09-08
Pompano Beach, FL

Caps

I would like to see the meters worling artleast at this point on the uverse accounts but when i login it stats
"The U-verse data measurement report is currently under construction. When completed, you will be notified if your usage exceeds the allowance. Until that time, U-verse customers should not be concerned about their usage patterns for billing purposes.

To learn more about how to manage your usage, please visit www.att.com/internet-usage"
if they are going active in May they should be working by now and what will happen if you ar midway thru your billing cycle?

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Not There
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to mix

said by mix:

What about the spice?

He who controls the spice controls the universe...
--
Not only does Jesus save, but he makes nightly off-site backups.

ddeisz
Premium
join:2002-05-14
Batavia, IL
reply to dmxrob6

Re: So where is this meter?

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to cramer

said by cramer:

That's not going to work. If it has an IP address, there will be traffic hitting it. You cannot escape being scanned.

I think his point is leave the service running without the customer using it and see what ATT says is being used. It's quite obvious it's going to get some data flow.

gorehound

join:2009-06-19
Portland, ME
reply to Gami00

Re: people can rest assured

someone should take them to court and sue them real big.so what if a lawyer gets the lion share at least it will make the news headlines and that is important.
prove that ATT is a piece of krap ripping consumers off.
then maybe other ISP's will think twice.

slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to ddeisz

said by ddeisz:

»uversecentral4.att.com/uvp/myhome/bbu

works for DSL as well

:( The U-verse data measurement report is currently under construction. When completed, you will be notified if your usage exceeds the allowance. Until that time, U-verse customers should not be concerned about their usage patterns for billing purposes.

To learn more about how to manage your usage, please visit www.att.com/internet-usage

the link is amusing with a 250gb cap I can watch 25 sd, or 13 hd movies a month.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to bobbycito

Re: Caps

02-09-2011 to 03-08-2011

*36 GB total
32.94 GB download
2.27 GB upload

01-09-2011 to 02-08-2011

*43 GB total
39.54 GB download
2.47 GB upload

03-09-2011 to 03-22-2011

*27 GB total
24.51 GB download
1.81 GB upload

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA

1 edit

One of the things that really gets me is...

at&t is trying this crap, then I read a story about how new mini-lasers could usher in a new internet age with even higher speeds and cheaper, for ISPs, to operate.

»www.tgdaily.com/hardware-brief/5···internet

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
reply to slckusr

I watch a lot of SD on Netflix on my Roku and 96 hours was only around 45 GB. I think a 350 GB would give you more that 25 SD movies.