dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-03-22 16:29:15: While the consumer response to AT&T's T-Mobile is generally negative, AT&T's fortunate in that the deal at least has shifted media attention away from AT&T's recent decision to start charging DSL and U-Verse users overages. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next
EMLLC
join:2010-03-18
Fort Pierce, FL

EMLLC to bobbycito

to bobbycito

Re: Caps

Click for full size
Uverse message, FL
Click for full size
DSL message, FL
I noticed that some users were posting screenshots of the data according to the myusage.att.com site. I got the same message as bobbycito when logging on to a uverse account that i manage. Then I got a totally different message on my personal dsl account.

I've also read that some users have received emails from at&t notifying of the change. I haven't received anything yet. I should add that the screen shots did show those users either being close or higher than the future caps to be imposed.

So did at&t just round up accounts for higher usage customers and warned them first? or is it going by state, last name, or the size of one's pecker or bra size? I guess I better turn on my routers metering to see if i'm going to comcast 250gb vs my DSL 150GB. ... !Hey kid #1 TURN OFF THAT NETFLIX, #2 STOP PLAYING THAT PLAYSTATION! Wife, STOP UPLOADING PICS TO flickr, facebook....!

Shawn808
@rr.com

Shawn808 to jjeffeory

Anon

to jjeffeory

Re: One of the things that really gets me is...

Soooo if someone decides to send empty packets and "IP BOMB" someone 24/7 would that not count against the victims bandwidth allocation...

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

Not that unusual

I have Comcast and I've found that their usage meters never match what my router (running Tomato) reports. Though the difference is only about 20%, not 4000% like that one AT&T user is seeing.
rmdir
join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL

rmdir to jjeffeory

to jjeffeory

Re: One of the things that really gets me is...

I'm sure they will pass the cost savings on to subscribers, if they have any left by that time.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Figures....

And I'm sure they'll be no way to dispute it, other then a lawsuit.
KrK

KrK to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese

Re: Lemme Guess

That brings up another point. Where's the legality in charging people for unwanted traffic they did not originate and have zero interest in receiving? Since it costs them money, it immediately in legal terms equates damage.

You know, I really hope a whole host of lawsuits is filed over this type of crap.
KrK

KrK to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28

Re: cox internet

Except the Soft Cap is 40GB. Or it was here, last time I checked.
KrK

KrK

Premium Member

What if you're one of the untold masses who gets THIS

Click for full size
How the hell AT&T plans to charge you for usage when they have no idea what you're actually using, I have no idea.

What a scam.

"Should not be concerned." Maybe that's the attitude consumers really should take about paying AT&T's bill.

Nsane_iceman
Premium Member
join:2001-02-26
North Richland Hills, TX

Nsane_iceman to Eagles1221

Premium Member

to Eagles1221

Re: So where is this meter?

said by Eagles1221:

I watch a lot of SD on Netflix on my Roku and 96 hours was only around 45 GB. I think a 350 GB would give you more that 25 SD movies.

I hear it's 35 HD movies to equal the cap.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

Its bad enough..

That you reduce speed for ATM overhead.. but having to pay for inefficient data that can't be 'consumed' as well.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes

Premium Member

Nice flaw

Nice flawed meter there they have.

Total usage according to my newest router purchased on the 15th is a total of 8.94gb total, but att shows

Usage for:
03-16-2011 to 03-22-2011 *25 GB total
22.02 GB download
2.30 GB upload

ERM. me thinks not
Bob61571
join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

Bob61571

Without a standardized, accurate, independent(of AT&T)

meter system, this whole AT&T usage plan falls apart.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK

Re: unwanted traffic

That's been my opposition to UBB ever since it was conceived. The lartc.org site puts it well in that controlling (traffic shaping) an Internet connection is analogous to the postal services: you can influence but not control what's mailed to you, and one only controls how much one sends. One can attach a traffic policer to ingress queues so that applications only receive data at some rate, but that's not necessarily related to how much gets shoved down the line at you. So it is with all the potential traffic generators on the Internet. Suppose someone picks your address at pseudorandom and decides to flood ping you, or repeatedly tries to p0wn your computer...didn't ask for the traffic but I get it anyway, and no reasonable means to make the upstream stop.

It would also be interesting if a carrier (e.g. AT&T) ends up charging you for traffic the company itself generated, such as Web site ads or promotional emails.

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28 to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK

Re: cox internet

not any more

»ww2.cox.com/aboutus/poli ··· ons_0609

»Cox Raises Their Usage Caps [35] comments

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt

Re: Wait until subscriber goes on vacation.

First off its AT&T, Inc not your "clever" AT&T-Mobile.

Second, it's AT&T IS (Internet Services) who deals with DSL & Uverse.

Third, AT&T Mobility is the wireless/mobile phone divison, which has zero to do with this UBB issue.

Lastly, the company will never be called AT&T-Mobile, it will remain as AT&T, Inc a holding company of the affilated company's previously purchased/merged with.
OSUGoose

OSUGoose to EMLLC

to EMLLC

Re: Caps

heck i get a error saying it cant show me nada
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

DSLReports is becoming so biased

While this particular move is wrong on AT&T's part due to the technology that is being employed here, DSLR is becoming so biased in general (look at the first sentence).

AT&T introduced cheaper data plans, and DSLR complains, complains, complains.

AT&T has the overall fastest network in the US with coverage second only to Verizon. DSLR complains, complains, complains.

And now, with AT&T&T, DSLR complains, when this is going to be an incredible synergy of spectrum and technology, and is going to be great for the consumers of both companies, especially the coverage-disadvantaged T-Mobile. There are some whiners out there who are complaining about this, however, the VAST MAJORITY of both companies' customers are pleased about this acquisition, as all they are about is having good coverage, and a wide selection of cool phones, both of which will be unparalleled when AT&T&T is put together.

jimbo48
join:2000-11-17
Asheville, NC

jimbo48 to ddeisz

to ddeisz

This is what AT&T so delightfully tells me when I attempt to find out what my usage is

"AT&T is not able to capture usage data on all of its customers. Customers whose usage is not available for viewing should not be concerned about their usage patterns for billing purposes.

To learn more about how to manage your usage, please visit www.att.com/internet-usage"

I checked into this and per their WEBSITE they say
..." As of May 2, 2011, AT&T's residential DSL High Speed Internet plans will have a usage allowance of 150 Gigabytes ("GB") per month, and its residential U-verse High Speed Internet plans will have a usage allowance of 250 Gigabytes ("GB") per month. The usage allowance is the amount of data you can send and receive each month..."
I then try to check my usage and AT&T says;

..." AT&T will provide a personal usage report at www.MyUsage.att.com where customers can view how much actual data they have used in a given month from the January 2011 bill cycle to the most recent billing cycle. To protect confidential customer information, this site is password-protected. The login process requires your Internet access login and password. The login is your AT&T primary account email address (e.g., John_smith@att.net). The password is the same password used to access your att.net homepage and primary email account.."
If you don't have access to this usage site then AT&T tells you
..."Many of our customers have access to this tool already. For those who don't today, until your usage is available for viewing on www.MyUsage.att.com, you should not be concerned about your usage patterns for billing purposes. Once the tool is available, you will be notified if you exceed your allowance..."

Whats wrong with this picture? I am told that a hard CAP is going to be put in place but they can't/don't have to tell me how much I am using or have used but will tell me I've exceeded my CAP. MAybe they don't want you to know how much you use??? MAybe they can't tell you how much you use accurately? Time to talk to the attornys General of ones state.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to BiggA

to BiggA

Re: DSLReports is becoming so biased

I agree, and ATT is the only fastest wireless broadband provider than provides coverage in small towns. I am going to move to Dubuque, IA for IBM. I know there is not much of consumer choices there due to size of population but its not that small. There is a local tourism there. Neither Verizon nor Sprints provides "4G" there while AT&T lunched this year HSPA that averages to 3 MB down and 1 up on my phone. Not bad.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

Why would anyone expect AT&T and others to have cap

meters that are accurate? They want it to be inaccurate b/c they know that users have no ability to fight back if they get screwed.

Almost better to have an inaccurate one than an accurate one.

trainwreck6
join:2010-09-21
off track

trainwreck6

Measurement Canada

Perhaps you need their services, lol...

Indie ISPs in Canada BTW do NOT embrace metered billing. Bell and Rogers do, of course, but competition is based on generous/no caps!
nnickn6
join:2011-03-22

nnickn6 to gorehound

to gorehound

Re: people can rest assured

said by gorehound:

someone should take them to court and sue them real big.so what if a lawyer gets the lion share at least it will make the news headlines and that is important.
prove that ATT is a piece of krap ripping consumers off.
then maybe other ISP's will think twice.

I agree. I wonder how hard it would be to start a lawsuit? Maybe I will know soon....

trainwreck6
join:2010-09-21
off track

trainwreck6 to Gami00

to Gami00
AT&T used to be a respectable company worldwide, like GE or Coke or other companies that used to define a vibrant U.S.A. What happened?

Could corporate personhood have now run amok?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Bill Neilson

Premium Member

to Bill Neilson

Re: Why would anyone expect AT&T and others to have cap

said by Bill Neilson:

meters that are accurate? They want it to be inaccurate b/c they know that users have no ability to fight back if they get screwed.

just like electric companies and their inaccurate "smartmeters"
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to chgo_man99

to chgo_man99

said by chgo_man99:

I agree, and ATT is the only fastest wireless broadband provider than provides coverage in small towns.

BS. At&T doesn't provide 3G in my town. Verizon does though.

88615298 (banned) to BiggA

to BiggA
said by BiggA:

AT&T introduced cheaper data plans, and DSLR complains, complains, complains.

LOL. Cheaper based on what?

dmxrob
Premium Member
join:2005-06-24
Saint Peters, MO
·Charter
·StarLink
·Suddenlink

dmxrob to slckusr

Premium Member

to slckusr

Thanks; I checked the meter and the numbers it is reporting for my 6MB DSL service are pretty much (within an acceptable 2-3% range) spot on with what my FCC-supplied SamKnows router is reporting.

Do I like caps? Heck, no - I think they stifle innovation. However, it's like fighting city hall. Where I live this is the ONLY choice and probably will be for years to come. I heard a rumor we might be getting non-TV Uverse, but that was only a rumor.

I would be much happier if the cap for DSL was 250GB instead of 150GB. I don't see why there is a difference other than an attempt to get people to switch to UVERSE where available.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to 88615298

to 88615298

You can compare HSPA with EVDO

dmxrob
Premium Member
join:2005-06-24
Saint Peters, MO
·Charter
·StarLink
·Suddenlink

dmxrob to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA
I admit, I agree with your statements about AT&T. I live in a small town in Missouri and AT&T is our local telephone company. The phone service and support is top notch (AT&T worked for weeks last summer diagnosing a problem with my voice line and eventually came and laid new copper to the house and credited me three months of service) and the DSL has been, for the past 7 years I've had it, top notch and very stable.

My only gripe is I would like to see the 150GB DSL cap placed at 250GB to give more "growth" room. Of course, I don't think we should have caps at all -- but I am resigned to the fact that they are coming and so we have to deal with them.
nishiko7
Premium Member
join:2007-05-01
Pleasant Hill, CA

nishiko7 to tim92078

Premium Member

to tim92078

Re: Relevant state department of weights and measures...

"Every bill that's inaccurate should be disputed too. Not just through the deathstar's complaint channels, but through attornies general.

Every time. Every bill. Make UBB cost these greedy bloodsuckers more than they ever dreamed it could."
You said it Tim... I'm 100% aboard. We need to attack this on multiple fronts, and this is one of the best ways!
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next