dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-03-24 18:27:44: Earlier this week we noted that AT&T's usage meters for their upcoming metered billing push aren't accurate when compared to user firewall or router logs. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

How did anyone not see this happening?

Seriously, how did anyone not see this coming a mile away?

They can't even get the usage meters to be accurate on the wireless side and they have had those systems in place for months.

My usage meter on my iPhone has been way off for months, sometimes being 100 MBs more than it should be.
wahoospa
join:2006-03-23
Charleston, SC

wahoospa

AT&T is the Pits

AT&T can work on anything they want as I will have nothing more to do with them.
45612019 (banned)
join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

1 recommendation

45612019 (banned)

Fuck off, AT&T.

We shouldn't have to be dealing with this bullshit in the first place.

I'll be taking my business to any ISP that doesn't pull this cap nonsense.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

Sure am glad i left AT&T.

albeit for another crappy telecom/cableco. At least I let my wallet speak for me. Something they might notice if enough people do it. Who am I kidding? They don't care one bit about the residential customer. Their bread and butter are the government subsidies for allowing the intel agencies full access those satellites that they skim a few cents off of every call that bounces through them.
tim92078
join:2010-07-15
San Marcos, CA

2 recommendations

tim92078

Relevant state department of weights and measures...

Time for a letter writing campaign to your state Attorney General. Their bandwidth meter should be held to the same standard as a gas pump or a delicatessen scale. They should have to prove the accuracy satisfactorily to every jurisdiction in which they propose ripping people off with usage-based-billing.

It will either delay the introduction of usage-based-billing or hopefully make it so expensive to implement that they back off.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

Now whats does att have to say about directv VOD data?

Now whats does att have to say about directv VOD data? / other data from the directv boxes?
45612019 (banned)
join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

1 recommendation

45612019 (banned)

If their meters are so inaccurate...

...I wonder how they came up with that fun little statistic that 98% of their users don't use more than 250 GB of bandwidth in a month?

Seems to be increasingly obvious that AT&T has just been making up a pack of lies.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

1 recommendation

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

Att

Full of shit enough said ...

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to tim92078

Premium Member

to tim92078

Re: Relevant state department of weights and measures...

I think this is the best, most constructive action item for fighting UBB.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

Question About Image Used for News Piece?

I have a question about the image used in the news piece ... what thread is that from? The user is highlighting uTorrent usage only and we don't know for how many days. uTorrent always reports 31 days, as that's set via the Transfer Cap option, it's not a value based on the actual number of days.

The numbers and methodology don't add up.
gorehound
join:2009-06-19
Portland, ME

gorehound to 45612019

to 45612019

Re: Fuck off, AT&T.

yup bye bye ATT.you are an asshole corporation and you think we all here are dumb cattle.
we are not.if someone offers uncapped we will dump you.and some will dump you anyways for a sucky but uncapped connection.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

2 edits

1 recommendation

Karl Bode to Matt3

News Guy

to Matt3

Re: Question About Image Used for News Piece?

It was pulled from a discussion thread because I wanted an image showing the meter -- you're right though, doesn't really show much just showing the P2P meter compared to overall usage -- though I thought it was the best of the bunch in terms of users dealing with these new caps in everyday use. Changed it to a simple image from the AT&T usage tool...

mesurz
@telus.net

mesurz to tim92078

Anon

to tim92078

Re: Relevant state department of weights and measures...

In Canada, for UBB(delayed for 8 more months), Weights and Measures is refusing to deal with the GB measurements of a consumable product.
And with a Canada Federal election coming up, Weights and Measures answers to no one on the issue.

Corruption corrupts absolutely.
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

Usage meters should be regulated by the FTC

Gas pumps, scales and any other device that measure weight or volume are inspected, verfied for accuracy and sealed by local or state inspectors.

We should the expect and demand the same from AT&T, since they have screwed up metering bandwith right out of the gate. The honor system won't work with those crooks.

twaddle
@sbcglobal.net

twaddle

Anon

Usage meters WHERE?

When I first read of this CAP I immediately tried to get an answer form AT&T. They flat out told me they would have the means to monitor my usage by the time I was capped but they had nothing in place. Then I went to their usage meter url and I can't access it and their cheerful note says if I can't access it I have nothing to be concerned a this time. God I would hate to go to COMCAST for ISP service as I did battle with them years ago for their Bi-Annual rate hikes and NOTHING to show for it expet higher prices and lousy service and product. Voted with my wallet and said good-bye. This is insanity and we're being run by the inmates. Just another friendly reminder from AT&T of where our ankles are located.
kaila
join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

kaila

AT&T is going to justify these caps.......

Even if it kills them trying to figure out how to measure them. PR man Bloom has his work cut out for him.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

Looks like a job for the State Attorney General.

Everyone affected by this problem should file a complaint with their states attorney general. The first state whose attorney general receives 1,000 complaints about inaccurate metering, should get an honorable mention in this newsletter.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

UBB should not include PPPoE or ATM overhead.

That would be like the post office charging you extra for the container they decide to use to transport your packages in. It's not our fault they opted to use a roughly 85% efficient transport mechanism (ATM).

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

2 recommendations

NormanS to Matt3

MVM

to Matt3

said by Matt3:

I have a question about the image used in the news piece ... what thread is that from?

This thread:

»AT&T usage meter -- is yours as wildly inaccurate as mine?

Specifically, this post:

»Re: AT&T usage meter -- is yours as wildly inaccurate as mine?

Please note that I did include a caveat. The two measurements are out of synch for the start dates. My plan is to reset the uTorrent usage report as close to midnight as possible on the start date of the next AT&T measurement cycle. I am also looking for software which can convert the D-Link DIR-655 router packet count, because the uTorrent meter only measures Torrent usage, but not any other usage. I'd like to monitor from my router to account for all usage to the WAN from my LAN.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

And who will CONFIRM that they are accurate?

AT&T can say what they want to say. But who will determine whether they are telling the truth?

If I have a dispute with the Electricity, Gas, or Water company, I can count on county officials who have reports, tests, etc with regards to the meters installed at my house. Each of them have a seal, that this type of meter is determined to be accurate by some sort of weight and measurement institute.

Every gas pomp in the county is tested for accuracy by a county or state official, and gets a seal of approval. You see the seal, you know you are getting an exact gallon when the meter says you got a gallon.

But who will check on AT&T? Is it just AT&T's word that says "we promise we have an accurate meter", or do we as consumers have any source besides AT&T itself that can mediate, and test meters as needed?

HaloFans
join:2006-12-18

HaloFans

Saying is one thing.

Putting it in action is another.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster

Yumma Goochie Buffalo Bob

Can your hear it, listen real close. The licking of chops, the drooling, the lip smacking of class action lawyers looking to sue on behalf of the poor cheated customers of AT&T. Nasty inaccurate usage meters. And there will be a huge out of court settlement from which the lawyers will extract large amounts of cash from AT&T and the customers they fought so hard for will each get a coupon for a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese at McD's. No matter what we loose.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

maartena to Mr Matt

Premium Member

to Mr Matt

Re: Looks like a job for the State Attorney General.

The one in California just got 1.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

umm

What prevents people resetting the stats on the u-verse device each day? lol
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Class-action

Hopefully a class action would be so expensive and such a pain for AT&T that they would just get rid of the caps and drop any overage charges. That's probably not going to happen either. Too bad they didn't implement the meter my school has: it literally doesn't count a good chunk of the traffic. It works.
innoman
-
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Seattle, WA

innoman

Premium Member

right...

read -- we will work with those who have a clue on what they are talking about and let the others be screwed out of their hard earned dollars because they aren't savvy enough to know how to monitor their own usage.

drop the stupid, unnecessary, caps.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS

said by NormanS:

said by Matt3:

I have a question about the image used in the news piece ... what thread is that from?

This thread:

»AT&T usage meter -- is yours as wildly inaccurate as mine?

Specifically, this post:

»Re: AT&T usage meter -- is yours as wildly inaccurate as mine?

Please note that I did include a caveat. The two measurements are out of synch for the start dates. My plan is to reset the uTorrent usage report as close to midnight as possible on the start date of the next AT&T measurement cycle. I am also looking for software which can convert the D-Link DIR-655 router packet count, because the uTorrent meter only measures Torrent usage, but not any other usage. I'd like to monitor from my router to account for all usage to the WAN from my LAN.

I figured there was a caveat posted, but just wanted to be sure. I looked for something to monitor the DIR-655 I used to have, but aside from the D-Link utility, which as you noted only reports the packet count, I never could find anything.
innoman
-
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Seattle, WA

innoman to djrobx

Premium Member

to djrobx

Re: UBB should not include PPPoE or ATM overhead.

good analogy.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

What would prevent...

...a city from refusing to let a company that imposes caps use public rights-of-way for their cables? I'm not talking about franchising here--the company would still be free to offer service, but they'd have to figure out some other means of running their cables around the city. If they want to offer capped Internet, they can remove their lines from public areas and negotiate with each property owner whose land they wish to cross.

bigunk
Gort, Klattu Birada Nikto
join:2001-02-10
USA

bigunk

That would be interesting, but they'll probably have prescriptive rights of way that will be upheld by whatever judge they buy.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next