dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-04-12 08:24:18: While larger carriers like AT&T shift to ever lower usage caps and ever higher per byte overage fees, Sprint continues to hope that marketing their Mobile WiMax service as truly unlimited will set them apart in the market place. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Yes

Sprint has fewer customers, and most of the data guzzling is on the CLEAR network up at 2.6ghz. There is so much spectrum up there, and so few users (relatively), it's just a matter of backhauling it all properly.

It's a good niche to take, and Sprint will do well once T-Mo and AT&T form a supernetwork.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

when all you have is a hammer

everything looks like a nail.

If they ever do get market share, you can kiss it goodbye.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry

Premium Member

Unlimited

If Sprint was available in my area, I'd dump Verizon. Unlimited internet is a great motivation to switch providers.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA

Re: Yes

Yep, they're certainly making a play at folks like me on T-Mobile. And it's very attractive. Of course, it would be more attractive if Clear's network were up to par, but after TMO goes down that may be the best bet for data users.

HappyAnarchy
@iauq.com

HappyAnarchy to biochemistry

Anon

to biochemistry

Re: Unlimited

Isn't VZW the other provider that offers unlimited. That may change but it hasn't yet. My data plan is unlimited.

Unless you mean mobile BBD, but I don't think their mobile BBD is unlimited either.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76

According to Sprint, Verizon isn't unlimited because of throttling the top 5% of data hungry users, they mention throttling specifically in their advertisement.
I'm fairly data hungry and on an unlimited Verizon plan and I've never been throttled but apparently it does happen.
I'd switch to Sprint if their 4G coverage was better, my Thunderbolt screams, but no Sprint 4G here.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to tiger72

to tiger72

True Unlimited is the only option they have to differentiate themselves. They have the spectrum to do it so need to exploit it. It can work if they keep pushing it in their ads. They need an edgier message though, with creative bashing undertones.

Sprint should take it a step further and say that once you become a Sprint customer, you get unlimited forever as long as you stay a Sprint customer, even when switching phone/plans - to alleviate concerns it may go away some day.

This would put them in a similar class of Costco's return policy - you can return products as long as you stay a contiguous customer. If you leave Costco and come back, you don't get to return items before leaving.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

Now if they'd only fix the "Everything" Plan Titles

It's great that Sprint understands unlimited. But why do their "Everything Data" plans still require premium data fees? They lost their entire billing simplification reasoning for these titles by adding nickle-and-dime extras here and there.
xenophon

xenophon

Re: Now if they'd only fix the "Everything" Plan Title

It's not that complicated. It's $xx for dumphones and $xx + $10 for smartphones. They could add $10 for everyone but then dumbphone users get gypped.

datauser
@comcast.net

datauser to xenophon

Anon

to xenophon

said by xenophon:

True Unlimited is the only option they have to differentiate themselves. They have the spectrum to do it so need to exploit it. It can work if they keep pushing it in their ads. They need an edgier message though, with creative bashing undertones.

Sprint should take it a step further and say that once you become a Sprint customer, you get unlimited forever as long as you stay a Sprint customer, even when switching phone/plans - to alleviate concerns it may go away some day.

This would put them in a similar class of Costco's return policy - you can return products as long as you stay a contiguous customer. If you leave Costco and come back, you don't get to return items before leaving.

i would like to see them also specifically state that not only are you 'unlimited' for life but also 'throttle free' for life. the industry has a whole lot of precedence for grandfathering in unlimited data users but than startling\ng to throttle them with a FUP. customers of sprints virgin mobile brand are experiencing this very issue now.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to xenophon

Premium Member

to xenophon

What dumbphone user needs data? Everything messaging handles text + voice plans much cheaper than the "Everything Data" plans.

Not to mention, how is there room for a premium data charge for a plan that explicitly says Everything Data? Should just change it to "Sprint Data", or "Kind-of-Sometimes-Data".
xenophon

xenophon

I should have said 'feature phones'. Sprint has several feature phones that do data, but do not have a full blown OS like Android.

Maybe they should set the base price $10 higher and then give a $10 discount for non-smarthphone users.
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs to MovieLover76

to MovieLover76

The fact is that Verizon's "unlimited" 4G is only on their smartphones. You can't get it on your computer, unless you want to, as one DSL Reports wag put it, "cough (root) cough and cough (tether) cough".

Even if you do that you're still subject to throttling if you're unlucky enough to wind up in their top 5%.

Yeah, Verizon 4G LTE is a bit faster than Sprint 4G Wimax, particularly on the upload side. Yeah, it's a very tempting deal, if one wants to engage in the hassle of the cough, cough routine, and run the risk of the 5% throttle.

In fact, I thought about it very seriously myself for a few weeks. But, in the end, the hassle factor was just too high.

The fact is that those are a heckuva lot of hoops to jump through for unlimited LTE. Too high-maintenance for most people.

And by the way, a Sprint tech, who sounded like he knew what he was talking about, told me that the upload cap on Sprint 4G WiMax will be lifted from 1 mbps to 5 mbps by the end of the year, making it much more competitive with LTE by doing so. However this Sprint tech (his name was Nathan) also told me, with what I thought was commendable honesty, that they still expected average upload 4G WiMax speeds to stay within .5 mbps to 1.5 mbps, which still places it south of Verizon 4G LTE.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to xenophon

Premium Member

to xenophon

Guess I've never even seen other Sprint customers with feature phones anymore. People seem to get the voice + texters (which also have very broken data offerings), or they step up to a smartphone. I've never seen anyone with a non-smartphone that's tolerable for internet usage.

I just find it funny that their current ads feature dictionary break-outs for contract-defining terms, when their base packages suffer from the same problem. I mean, I don't understand at all why they have the "Simply Everything" plan, yet there are still unavoidable add-ons to such a package.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

No love

For USB stick modems. "unlimited is still 5gb/mo" for them! FAIL!
xenophon

xenophon to criggs

to criggs

Clearwire imposed the 1Mbps upload cap because they didn't want you to use the connection for web/video hosting. Now that they have competition, they need to taking away simple restrictions like that.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

$9 a month more

I pay about $98 for triple play 25/25 with Verizon (Time Warner & Cablevision got NOTHING to beat that deal)... for $9 more a month I'd tack-on unlimited phone, text & data.. but it's not like Sprint's price cutting is motivating Verizon to offer me that deal so this means nothing to me.

BTW.. $9 a month is what I pay for a Tracfone. This and an android tablet with a voip app works fine for me.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536

Re: No love

Obviously. No company will offer unlimited 3G broadband.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to criggs

to criggs

said by criggs:

Even if you do that you're still subject to throttling if you're unlucky enough to wind up in their top 5%.

You are only subject to throttling if you are in the top 5% AND using a base station that is congested. Verizon said as such when they announced this policy. They have no incentive to throttle you if you aren't impacting other users.

MovieLover76
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76

said by Crookshanks:

said by criggs:

You are only subject to throttling if you are in the top 5% AND using a base station that is congested. Verizon said as such when they announced this policy. They have no incentive to throttle you if you aren't impacting other users.

I use a lot of data and have never been throttled, I have no need for tethering most of the time, but even if you don't want to root their are non-root options like pdanet, you just can't wirelessly tether unless you root.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to Alcohol

to Alcohol

you can get pretty close: »www.millenicom.com/

Razzy12345
@rr.com

Razzy12345 to xenophon

Anon

to xenophon

Sprint doesn't charge $10 extra a month for features phone. Only smartphones (3G or not) will have $10 data fee.
Razzy12345

Razzy12345 to dvd536

Anon

to dvd536

They never advertised USB sticks as unlimited - they stated 5GB. USB sticks != Smartphones.

BF69 fan
@charter.com

BF69 fan to datauser

Anon

to datauser

I do not see that happening because if they did they could easily be sued if they ever changed their mind down the road.
xenophon

xenophon to Razzy12345

to Razzy12345

said by Razzy12345 :

Sprint doesn't charge $10 extra a month for features phone. Only smartphones (3G or not) will have $10 data fee.

Yes I know, which was the point I was making.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to xenophon

Premium Member

to xenophon

As long as they offer unlimited for a 2-year contract, it will attract people, even though unlimited doesn't make sense for the consumer- people just like the concept. Personally, I like massive coverage, blazing fast 3G and my virtually unlimited 2GB of data.
mlundin
join:2001-03-27
Lawrence, KS

mlundin to BF69 fan

to BF69 fan
Right... were it not for that "you agree to consent to binding arbitration..." clause in your contract.

MovieLover76
Cherry Hill, NJ

MovieLover76 to tmc8080

to tmc8080

Re: $9 a month more

No one is going to give you unlimited phone, text and data for $9
That's insane.
if your not interested in a topic, why post? your obviously happy without a smartphone, so this doesn't apply to you.

BF69 fan
@charter.com

BF69 fan to mlundin

Anon

to mlundin

Would still in no way stop people from trying to start a class action lawsuit.
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs to xenophon

to xenophon

said by xenophon:

Clearwire imposed the 1Mbps upload cap because they didn't want you to use the connection for web/video hosting.

In general, your posts on this forum indicate you know what you're talking about. And my gut tells me you're right about this.

But perhaps only in part.

You see, based on what Nathan told me, I'm wondering if we know the whole story here. He told me that originally there was no upload speed cap and no plans to cap the upload speed, and that the cap was an emergency stopgap measure due to unanticipated problems.

I have no doubt that it is entirely possible that their investigation of the unanticipated problems they bumped into (the problems which led them to impose the cap) may very well have led them to conclude that some subscribers were running web/video hosting.

But again, if Nathan is to be believed, it would appear they never expected a few folks doing hosting would cause this problem. It was unexpected, and the cap has always been viewed as temporary while they look for a permanent solution.

And, according to Nathan, they are "very serious" about raising that cap to 5 mbps because they are tired of being at a competitive disadvantage with Verizon's LTE.
page: 1 · 2 · next