spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-04-20 09:23:11: We mentioned this was coming last year, and now DirecTV is the first of several cable TV companies that plan to try and narrow the theater to VOD release window by offering films just 10 weeks after a film's theatrical release. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

jc1350

join:2004-09-23

1 recommendation

$30 rental?

No thanks. I'd rather wait and buy a permanent DVD copy for $20. No movie is worth $30 for a very limited viewing time.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
kudos:1

Let's not blame Directv for this retarded move,

so much as the stinkin' movie studios. What a bunch of mooks!
--
The weekend is here, grab a can of beer!

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

I can see this being valuable in select circumstances..

For instance, you have a family of 4 and the cost of going to the theaters would be about $10 per person + snacks or a group of friends who'd rather stay in and watch it all pitch in rather than going to the theater.

I don't really know what to make of this...

canesfan2001

join:2003-02-04
Hialeah, FL

Or just watch a move that's been out for 6 months for $6. Or redbox a blu-ray for $1.50 + driving time.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to gigahurtz

Depends. If you have a nice home theater, I could see this as an alternative. If you don't, it's a rather high-priced movie ticket.

..not to mention I wonder if this is in HD (not over-compressed) with full 7.1 surround and 3D on certain movies. I kinda doubt it, though.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2

DirecTV super-compresses their HD feed. Their $5 VOD HD rentals aren't even worth it from how crappy it looks with any minimal moving scene.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

$30!?!?

The Adjustment Bureau is one of the movies that will be available for $30. We saw it last month at an AMC theater in a digital presentation. Tickets were $6 each since we went before noon. Plus it will be out on disc in early June.
Why would anyone want to pay $30 to watch it when it costs less in the theater and you can rent it in less than two months for under $6?

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to Network Guy

Re: I can see this being valuable in select circumstances..

the push / download VOD is 1080P much better then comcast VOD.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to jc1350

Re: $30 rental?

said by jc1350:

No thanks. I'd rather wait and buy a permanent DVD copy for $20. No movie is worth $30 for a very limited viewing time.

$30 to watch a new-in-theaters release at home sounds reasonable. I would pay it, just to avoid the idiots at the theater. But only if I could get it the day it hit theaters. I'll even stretch it to the first week. But by the time it's 10 weeks old, it has lost all "new" value, and I have waited long enough already that it is nothing more than a soon-to-be free rental.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to Joe12345678

It can be 2160p, but if they compress the crap out of it and then uncompress it, it will still be 2160p of crap.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to aaronwt

Re: $30!?!?

said by aaronwt:

Why would anyone want to pay $30 to watch it when it costs less in the theater and you can rent it in less than two months for under $6?

Maybe for those families that have a dozen kids. Then again, those types of families probably aren't spending $30 on premium movies. You're right...no one is going to pay for it.

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

the only sales

Will be from accidents, mischievous kids, really drunk people, those with tons of money (and don't care), and the occasional "honey, why not" arguments.

They'll make some money, but certainly a majority of people will skip this and wait to buy/rent at a more reasonable price.

I'd rather wait the extra 30 days Netflix is now forcing me to than ever consider this.

HappyAnarchy

@iauq.com
reply to aaronwt

Well, I work so I won't generally being viewing movies with my 3 kids and wife before noon. That puts it up to $10 per person, total of $50 not including snacks.

In that perspective I could see it. So basically, family & friend viewing for those with big screens that want to avoid the theatres.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

1 recommendation

Thank You

The Bit-Torrent bootleg move crowd will thank you. Now they can set up an HD camera in front of their HDTV's at home and see who can be the first to cap', for bit Torrent, an inferior but free copy of the latest crap from Hollywood, and they don't have to worry about getting kicked out of a theater someplace. Hello Piratebay.
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Mark Twain in Eruption

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

Waste of bandwidth

I'd rather see the bandwidth better used to add the long laundry list of missing HD Channels.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL
reply to jc1350

4 people go to the theater and spend $50 or more on movie tickets and popcorn.

$30 seems like a good deal if you split that between 4 people.

Theaters will not be happy.
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL
reply to canesfan2001

Or Netflix for $8.99 a month unlimited. Disc or Stream.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to jc1350

said by jc1350:

Second that. $30 is still cheaper than a family outing to the movie theater, but waiting a few more months and either getting it thru Netflix or a DVD rental store makes more sense.
--
Record your speedtest.net results in DSLReports SpeedWave
»www.speedtest.net/wave/afe201cb84d45c88

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to jc1350

They really should have made it a bit cheaper. $20 would have been a good price point. My wife and I could spend that much easily going to the theater. For $30, my wife and I better just go to the theater because it will be cheaper that way. Splitting it 4 ways is a better value.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

jc1350

reply to cypherstream

Re: Waste of bandwidth

DirecTV's VOD is delivered via the Internet, not the satellites. But at least with it being $30, you won't have to worry about hitting those monthly ISP caps.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

10 weeks? Is this a joke?

I thought this price tag was for movies that were recently released.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
kudos:1

NO thanks

If it won't last in the theater (bomb) it's not worth $20 for any type of DVD to gather dust after viewing (BOMB).

I either won't see it or see it on spike channel or comedy channel for the broadcast fee I'm already paying for the rest of the junk passed off as entertainment.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to jc1350

said by jc1350:

DirecTV's VOD is delivered via the Internet, not the satellites.

NOT all of their VOD is from the internet, including these $30 rip-off's; you do NOT even need an internet connection for these, just an HD-DVR. Most are automatically pushed into your hard drive in the backround & are instantly available for viewing, while on others, when you select it to watch, it is put "in que" & is downloaded thru the satellite as soon as it is available.

»www.satelliteguys.us/directv-for···ice.html

Eldorados

join:2005-11-25

Just Go With It?

The least they could have done was chosen a better movie

Absolutely horrible.. Adam Sandler must be stopped for the sake of humanity!

ackman

join:2000-10-04
Atlanta, GA

Corporate America

What a joke, a pandemic of insanity is running amok in the former USA. $30? Are you serious, DirecTV?

kdwycha

join:2003-01-30
Riverview, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

30 dollars...really?

When you can just download a torrent that works just fine except for the little thing that says "Copyright (insert studio name) 2011 - Unauthorized distribution prohibited." every 30 mins or so at the bottom?

Not that I would know that. I was at a friends and seen it say that

jc1350

reply to dishrich

My mistake. The only VOD I watched on directv was the free variety that only arrives via Internet. And when I didn't have a connection, the box showed a message that it needed an Internet connection.

jeff17

join:2000-12-11
US

Good.

If someone is willing to pay $30, let companies charge $30.

BTW, People waste too much of their lives sitting in movie theaters; it's like a tradition now - new movie comes out, everyone must see it immediately. For what purpose? To be able to discuss it Monday morning with co-workers? An industry is based on this. yikes!
--
"It's fair to say that the Bible contains equal amounts of fact, history, and pizza."
— Penn Jillette

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to HappyAnarchy

said by HappyAnarchy :

Well, I work so I won't generally being viewing movies with my 3 kids and wife before noon. That puts it up to $10 per person, total of $50 not including snacks.

In that perspective I could see it. So basically, family & friend viewing for those with big screens that want to avoid the theatres.

I work too, but not typically on Saturday and Sunday which is when we will see a movie at the theater. Besides they don't have $6 shows on weekdays.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to wings10

said by wings10:

Or Netflix for $8.99 a month unlimited. Disc or Stream.

Netflix streaming in mostly OLD movies.