dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-05-03 09:59:19: Both AT&T and Verizon often block tethering applications or cripple embedded tethering functionality, hoping to force customers --already paying a significant sum for mobile bandwidth -- on to more expensive mobile data plans. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

2 recommendations

Robert

Premium Member

Can we put this to rest?

Google is not the company everyone thought they were. They aren't the 'community', 'open source', 'everyone should have equal access' as everyone thought.

"You are who you hang out with", and Google hangs out with AT&T and Verizon.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

GREED!

Wireless carriers are employing CAPS, crippling features and overcharging customers for one reason, GREED. Wireless ISP's are essentially a monopoly so they have the power to shake down and abuse customers who have no recourse. Extreme ETF hold the customer hostage. These deceptions are nothing new. When cameras were included in cell phones the first thing Verizon did was make it impossible to transfer a digital photo directly to a customers computer but require the customer to transfer the photo through email. Verizon lost that lawsuit but started incorporating language that required the customer to use binding arbitration rather than our legal system for recourse. Consumers have no hope as long as our government is run by corporate fascists.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Confirmed on AT&T

Yes, even on custom firmware based on BHell's, but with the fluff gone and Setiron's kernel and custom interface. This ROM shows normally region-blocked apps. I was over wifi to boot. This must be a really low level block. However, I can install apks, unlike stock ROMs without root, so I can get around it. If it's only tethering apps, my ROM does tethering and mobile hotspot natively, anyways. Still troubling how it can even be blocked at such a low level that even custom ROMs do not help, unlike with region restrictions.
goodcow
join:2004-01-28
New York, NY

goodcow

Random? No.

AT&T's been trying to crack down on the practice lately, firing random e-mails at users who aren't signed up for tethering, but whose accounts show higher-than-normal usage for smartphones.

I doubt they're random, I use 10-20GB a month because I stream video all the time through the iTunes app (podcasts). I've never jailbroken my phone though. No letter or threats from AT&T, though I also have several FCC complaints on file against them as well already, so that could be another reason.

Next Bill Cycle: 05/14/2011
Data (MB): 14252.1 of Unlimited
Messaging: 5841 of Unlimited
gorehound
join:2009-06-19
Portland, ME

gorehound to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt

Re: GREED!

sounds right to me.i am very sick of this greedy assinine world we live in.someday it is going to crash hard and then those who were greedy will be in the same boat as us poor or middle class type folks.
no empire lasts forever and do not forget that historical fact.
stufried
Premium Member
join:2003-10-13

stufried

Premium Member

Amaazon App Store

What is going on with the Amazon app store? I think the next step in tethering will eb automatic VPNning when tethering to block them.
alfnoid
MVM
join:2002-02-18

alfnoid

MVM

there are still ways around

you can still get these apps easy enough if you search around for a how to.
Really pretty simple.

What google is saying is true because you can still get it from them...just not as easily as before.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to goodcow

Premium Member

to goodcow

Re: Random? No.

I only ever tether in an emergency, which is very rare. That being said, I use lots of data over my native smartphone apps and not a peep from AT&T.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

G ewwwwww gle

$o much for the "openne$$" of google.
money ha$ a way of doing that!
houghe9
join:2008-02-27
Lexington Park, MD

houghe9

I have an alltel plan and tethering was included on my data plan for free. if i am still under an alltel plan with verizon, can verizon take tethering away?
beaups
join:2003-08-11
Hilliard, OH

beaups

Open

Good think Android is "open". Wait....

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to goodcow

Premium Member

to goodcow

Re: Random? No.

Im using about a gig per day just by streaming netflix on my iphone. Thank you grandfathered unlimited plan.

cruz1
@sbcglobal.net

cruz1

Anon

Don't blame Google ...

Yes this pisses me off ... but don't blame Google, blame the carriers... if they didn't didn't do this, the carriers (AT&T / Verizon) would do all they can do make sure Android FAILS and shove whatever other crap OS phone they can force down your throat that you don't want as long as it can be controlled. It's a sickening game but at least it is "more" open than other mobile OS ...

IT Guy
Ow, My Balls
Premium Member
join:2004-07-29
Las Cruces, NM

IT Guy

Premium Member

So...

This is what T-Mobile customers get to look forward to? I can tether on T-Mobile right now with no fuss. Once this AT&T deal is sealed, I'm jumping ship.

StBrandon
@charter.com

StBrandon to cruz1

Anon

to cruz1

Re: Don't blame Google ...

Well Google is complicit in this, so how are they not to blame as well? Android Market belongs to Google, not the carriers

del ftl
@comcast.net

del ftl to Robert

Anon

to Robert

Re: Can we put this to rest?

No, the problem is that you chose att and verizon and they keep saying no to you, charging you an arm and a leg and yet you still keep them close and hug them, give them crazy amounts of money, even though they treat their customers like dirt.

The other two major carriers don't block these apps. In fact most of t-mobile's androids already have tethering enabled on the phone by default.

You chose to give your money to the companies that are restricting you.

Also you may want to note that the majority of the Google campus users are on t-mobile.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
AT&T, Verizon, or insert your wireless carrier here, are the customers for Google. Google is doing what it always does, and that is offer service to it's customers.

If the source is published, I assume people will find a way to install a modified version of Android and get free tethering.

I hate the stupid charges for tethering, but it is the right of a wireless provider to establish TOS. We agree or don't agree to TOS when signing up.

Not giving away something for nothing seems to be the new definition of greedy to some. I'd factor the cost of tethering into the cost of phone service if it was necessary.

starcaptor
join:2000-08-19
East Northport, NY

starcaptor

Rolling up your sleeves

since the carrier and internet providers feel like they can no longer make money with the "walled-garden" approach (AOL), they want to make money on their pipes...and I blame ubiquity for this. The more people use something (as a population), the more lucrative it becomes, and the more dumb ideas the companies come out with to make money, for no other reason than "as long as 99.999% of them dont care/notice, we will make a ton!!"

Happy casual tether-er since 2007, courtesy of SERO.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

No Problem Here...Yet

I can still tether on my original Droid, on Verizon. Don't do it that often, but its working right now.

Confused what all this talk is about.

Have they started blocking already, or its in the works?
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to stufried

to stufried

Re: Amaazon App Store

The tether apps are still available on the Amazon app store. I don't know why everything is crying Google is now less open. Android can still install apps from 3rd party sources outside the Market. The Market isn't wide open (it doesn't need to be and shouldn't be) but Android still is.

Or is ATT/VZW locking down 3 party installs as well? This is separate from rooting.
bdoyledimou
join:2002-08-20
Markham, ON

bdoyledimou to Robotics

to Robotics

Re: No Problem Here...Yet

But what if your carrier allows tethering.. will the app STILL be blocked?

My MIL uses an Android phone, with Wind Mobile, with an unlimited Data/voice/TETHERING plan. Is she now cut off because AT&T and Verizon are pouting? They aren't even IN our country!

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

A significant sum?

$25 per month for a 2GB smartphone data plan is a significant sum?
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

aha

Lol, my old saying goes like the capital one commerical "AT&T!! WHAT'S IN YOUR WALLET?!?!?"

Sorry, I just like saying that.. Especially sense I've seen ATT's commercial saying "EVERYONE" is eligible for DSL, even though its not....

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to del ftl

Premium Member

to del ftl

said by del ftl :

Also you may want to note that the majority of the Google campus users are on t-mobile.

Soon to be AT&T?

greg
Greg
Premium Member
join:2003-05-30
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

greg to xenophon

Premium Member

to xenophon

Re: Amaazon App Store

ATT blocks 3rd party installs on all their android phones.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Robotics

MVM

to Robotics

said by Robotics:

I can still tether on my original Droid, on Verizon. Don't do it that often, but its working right now.

Confused what all this talk is about.

Did you read the article or the linked stories ?

Do this: Uninstall your wireless-tether app, go to Market to re-install it, and then tells us what happens...
Hall

Hall

MVM

On WiFi - not VZW network - still missing

I thought a way around this would be to access the Market via WiFi and not via VZW's network, but to no avail...

del ftl
@comcast.net

del ftl to bdoyledimou

Anon

to bdoyledimou

She will only have access to certain applications blocked by wind if they request it. It has nothing to do with what she already has installed, nor does it have to do with att or verizon.

If wind is like tmo and sprint then you dont have any worries.
jnemesh3
join:2008-04-30
Kenmore, WA

jnemesh3

Why worry about this?

Most tethering apps required you have root access anyway. If you have root, you also have the ability to sideload apps not available in the Market. So this move, while making it SLIGHTLY more difficult to implement, really will not stop tethering AT ALL!

I have no problem with Google's capitulation to the wireless carrier's request to take down the apps. It IS in violation of your contract (even if you dont agree with it, its what you signed up for!), so these apps should NOT be in the official market. The beautiful thing about Android, though, is that you can always find other sources for the software you run on the phone that you own.

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight to Robert

to Robert

Well, T-Mobile was seen as the lesser of evils... Sometimes, a greater evil comes and takes over.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next