dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-05-03 09:59:19: Both AT&T and Verizon often block tethering applications or cripple embedded tethering functionality, hoping to force customers --already paying a significant sum for mobile bandwidth -- on to more expensive mobile data plans. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

2 recommendations

Robert

Premium Member

Can we put this to rest?

Google is not the company everyone thought they were. They aren't the 'community', 'open source', 'everyone should have equal access' as everyone thought.

"You are who you hang out with", and Google hangs out with AT&T and Verizon.

del ftl
@comcast.net

del ftl

Anon

Re: Can we put this to rest?

No, the problem is that you chose att and verizon and they keep saying no to you, charging you an arm and a leg and yet you still keep them close and hug them, give them crazy amounts of money, even though they treat their customers like dirt.

The other two major carriers don't block these apps. In fact most of t-mobile's androids already have tethering enabled on the phone by default.

You chose to give your money to the companies that are restricting you.

Also you may want to note that the majority of the Google campus users are on t-mobile.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by del ftl :

Also you may want to note that the majority of the Google campus users are on t-mobile.

Soon to be AT&T?

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight

Well, T-Mobile was seen as the lesser of evils... Sometimes, a greater evil comes and takes over.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
said by Robert:

said by del ftl :

Soon to be AT&T?

Maybe Google or Apple will take over T-Mobile.
Apple has so much cash sitting around that they could pay all cash for it, or some cash, some stock, and an AWS iPhone thrown it.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 edit

DarkLogix

Premium Member

they must be doing it only on phones they (att/vzw) directly sale

my nexus 1 (on AT&T) still has its built in tethering and ability to act as an AP

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Apple has enough cash on hand to buy several Central American dictatorships at this point.....
56403739 (banned)
Less than 5 months left
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL

1 recommendation

56403739 (banned)

said by N3OGH:

Apple has enough cash on hand to buy several Central American dictatorships at this point.....

Well, they certainly have a lot of experience in being dictatorial.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
AT&T, Verizon, or insert your wireless carrier here, are the customers for Google. Google is doing what it always does, and that is offer service to it's customers.

If the source is published, I assume people will find a way to install a modified version of Android and get free tethering.

I hate the stupid charges for tethering, but it is the right of a wireless provider to establish TOS. We agree or don't agree to TOS when signing up.

Not giving away something for nothing seems to be the new definition of greedy to some. I'd factor the cost of tethering into the cost of phone service if it was necessary.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
said by Robert:

Google is not the company everyone thought they were. They aren't the 'community', 'open source', 'everyone should have equal access' as everyone thought.

"You are who you hang out with", and Google hangs out with AT&T and Verizon.

I think they got into the cell phone business wanting to be the great hero, but was quickly taught to pay ball by the carriers. I'm on my Verizon, but I've got Cyanogenmod installed, so my tethering isn't going anywhere soon.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

hottboiinnc4 to Robert

to Robert
Google was never that way. They're all smoke and mirrors. They'll lie to the public; gov't and anyone else to get what they want. They're your typical company and people still believe them. I'm waiting for the day they'll start charging for G-Mail access. They're already moving toward charging for Google Apps by cutting the amount of email addresses you can have tied to your domain. It's getting cheaper to use MSFT Exchange and now Google.
crtune
join:2007-11-24
Valley Village, CA

crtune to Robert

to Robert
Not to mention their work with the PRC. They and now Facebook are simply giant corporations, regardless of what their roots might be. Large corporations tend toward amoral behavior. That is why there are laws. Without them, corporations would be compelled to decide to do whatever resulted in the most profit regardless of ancillary destruction.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

GREED!

Wireless carriers are employing CAPS, crippling features and overcharging customers for one reason, GREED. Wireless ISP's are essentially a monopoly so they have the power to shake down and abuse customers who have no recourse. Extreme ETF hold the customer hostage. These deceptions are nothing new. When cameras were included in cell phones the first thing Verizon did was make it impossible to transfer a digital photo directly to a customers computer but require the customer to transfer the photo through email. Verizon lost that lawsuit but started incorporating language that required the customer to use binding arbitration rather than our legal system for recourse. Consumers have no hope as long as our government is run by corporate fascists.
gorehound
join:2009-06-19
Portland, ME

gorehound

Re: GREED!

sounds right to me.i am very sick of this greedy assinine world we live in.someday it is going to crash hard and then those who were greedy will be in the same boat as us poor or middle class type folks.
no empire lasts forever and do not forget that historical fact.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

Wireless carriers are employing CAPS, crippling features and overcharging customers for one reason, GREED. Wireless ISP's are essentially a monopoly so they have the power to shake down and abuse customers who have no recourse. Extreme ETF hold the customer hostage.

Whoa, Trigger....You might think it's a matter of semantics; but within the industry, a wireless carrier (cellphone company with data plan) is not the same as a Wireless ISP (WISP). The December FCC ruling set them apart further - placing WISPs under the same restrictions (of preserving net neutrality) as compared to telcos (that can impose speed throttling, caps, etc.)

The WISP market is hardly a monopoly - it's a very competitive market. A WISP can't lobby a local or state government to prohibit competition.

cruz1
@sbcglobal.net

cruz1

Anon

Like buying a car and getting charged per person in it..

Yeah, it is BS ... It's like buying a car and getting charged more monthly if you have 2 people riding in it instead of 1!!! Complete crap, they have to stop this BS ...

But again, don't blame Google, blame the wireless carrier's greed and stupidity ...

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

1 recommendation

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by cruz1 :

But again, don't blame Google, blame the wireless carrier's greed and stupidity ...

I blame the consumer, who will purchase a piece of communications gear and allow someone else to dictate how it is used.

No one here would think of purchasing a PC, if their ISP could control what you did with it, and how. For some reason, purchasing a smart-phone, or tablet PC (just another style of computer) is seen as something different; when in fact it's the same thing!

Bob

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo

MVM

said by TamaraB:

No one here would think of purchasing a PC, if their ISP could control what you did with it, and how. For some reason, purchasing a smart-phone, or tablet PC (just another style of computer) is seen as something different; when in fact it's the same thing!

I see your point, but people buy gaming systems like PS3s and Xbox360s that have essentially the same limitations without hesitation. When I first bought my PS3 I could run linux on it and I could rip my DVD/Blu-Ray library and watch it by streaming it on the PS3. Now they've locked out Linux and Cinavia is rapidly putting an end to using that as a media streaming device.

I think the principle difference with cell phones is they are not sold as an open computing device. Companies offer unlimited mobile data plans because they have some control over their own destiny by forcing the phones through transcoding proxies and limiting content in a way that doesn't occur when you attach a PC via tethering.

It's been the perpetual problem with consumer Internet services. These companies built out their networks so they want their subscribers to use them as much as they want, except they don't want them to use them too much. It's an inherently contradictory position, and represents a major malfunction in marketing departments in all of these companies.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Confirmed on AT&T

Yes, even on custom firmware based on BHell's, but with the fluff gone and Setiron's kernel and custom interface. This ROM shows normally region-blocked apps. I was over wifi to boot. This must be a really low level block. However, I can install apks, unlike stock ROMs without root, so I can get around it. If it's only tethering apps, my ROM does tethering and mobile hotspot natively, anyways. Still troubling how it can even be blocked at such a low level that even custom ROMs do not help, unlike with region restrictions.
goodcow
join:2004-01-28
New York, NY

goodcow

Random? No.

AT&T's been trying to crack down on the practice lately, firing random e-mails at users who aren't signed up for tethering, but whose accounts show higher-than-normal usage for smartphones.

I doubt they're random, I use 10-20GB a month because I stream video all the time through the iTunes app (podcasts). I've never jailbroken my phone though. No letter or threats from AT&T, though I also have several FCC complaints on file against them as well already, so that could be another reason.

Next Bill Cycle: 05/14/2011
Data (MB): 14252.1 of Unlimited
Messaging: 5841 of Unlimited

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Re: Random? No.

I only ever tether in an emergency, which is very rare. That being said, I use lots of data over my native smartphone apps and not a peep from AT&T.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to goodcow

Premium Member

to goodcow
Im using about a gig per day just by streaming netflix on my iphone. Thank you grandfathered unlimited plan.
stufried
Premium Member
join:2003-10-13

stufried

Premium Member

Amaazon App Store

What is going on with the Amazon app store? I think the next step in tethering will eb automatic VPNning when tethering to block them.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

Re: Amaazon App Store

The tether apps are still available on the Amazon app store. I don't know why everything is crying Google is now less open. Android can still install apps from 3rd party sources outside the Market. The Market isn't wide open (it doesn't need to be and shouldn't be) but Android still is.

Or is ATT/VZW locking down 3 party installs as well? This is separate from rooting.

greg
Greg
Premium Member
join:2003-05-30
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

greg

Premium Member

ATT blocks 3rd party installs on all their android phones.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

1 recommendation

joako

Premium Member

said by greg:

So for the user there's no difference in iPhone vs Android? Jailbreak vs Root -- same shit.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to greg

to greg
That sucks. I though ATT opened it back up earlier this year. Is VZW doing this too? I can do can install 3rd party on my EVO w/out being rooted (though I am).
dontremember
join:2011-05-07
Virginia Beach, VA

dontremember to greg

to greg
said by greg:

They don't seem to be blocking apps uploaded to the phone over usb. There's a program called adb in the Android developers kit that the kit uses to install home-grown apps. It'll also install downloaded apps from elsewhere. This is with a stock, unrooted Atrix.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to xenophon

Premium Member

to xenophon
said by xenophon:

The tether apps are still available on the Amazon app store. I don't know why everything is crying Google is now less open. Android can still install apps from 3rd party sources outside the Market. The Market isn't wide open (it doesn't need to be and shouldn't be) but Android still is.

Or is ATT/VZW locking down 3 party installs as well? This is separate from rooting.

You need to at least root. You can keep the stock firmware, but why would you?
alfnoid
MVM
join:2002-02-18

alfnoid

MVM

there are still ways around

you can still get these apps easy enough if you search around for a how to.
Really pretty simple.

What google is saying is true because you can still get it from them...just not as easily as before.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

G ewwwwww gle

$o much for the "openne$$" of google.
money ha$ a way of doing that!
houghe9
join:2008-02-27
Lexington Park, MD

houghe9

I have an alltel plan and tethering was included on my data plan for free. if i am still under an alltel plan with verizon, can verizon take tethering away?

••••
beaups
join:2003-08-11
Hilliard, OH

beaups

Open

Good think Android is "open". Wait....

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

Re: Open

it is open. the carriers lock it down. if you want open you have to run custom firmware.

cruz1
@sbcglobal.net

cruz1

Anon

Don't blame Google ...

Yes this pisses me off ... but don't blame Google, blame the carriers... if they didn't didn't do this, the carriers (AT&T / Verizon) would do all they can do make sure Android FAILS and shove whatever other crap OS phone they can force down your throat that you don't want as long as it can be controlled. It's a sickening game but at least it is "more" open than other mobile OS ...

StBrandon
@charter.com

StBrandon

Anon

Re: Don't blame Google ...

Well Google is complicit in this, so how are they not to blame as well? Android Market belongs to Google, not the carriers

IT Guy
Ow, My Balls
Premium Member
join:2004-07-29
Las Cruces, NM

IT Guy

Premium Member

So...

This is what T-Mobile customers get to look forward to? I can tether on T-Mobile right now with no fuss. Once this AT&T deal is sealed, I'm jumping ship.

starcaptor
join:2000-08-19
East Northport, NY

starcaptor

Rolling up your sleeves

since the carrier and internet providers feel like they can no longer make money with the "walled-garden" approach (AOL), they want to make money on their pipes...and I blame ubiquity for this. The more people use something (as a population), the more lucrative it becomes, and the more dumb ideas the companies come out with to make money, for no other reason than "as long as 99.999% of them dont care/notice, we will make a ton!!"

Happy casual tether-er since 2007, courtesy of SERO.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

No Problem Here...Yet

I can still tether on my original Droid, on Verizon. Don't do it that often, but its working right now.

Confused what all this talk is about.

Have they started blocking already, or its in the works?

••••••••

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

A significant sum?

$25 per month for a 2GB smartphone data plan is a significant sum?

•••••••••••
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

aha

Lol, my old saying goes like the capital one commerical "AT&T!! WHAT'S IN YOUR WALLET?!?!?"

Sorry, I just like saying that.. Especially sense I've seen ATT's commercial saying "EVERYONE" is eligible for DSL, even though its not....

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

On WiFi - not VZW network - still missing

I thought a way around this would be to access the Market via WiFi and not via VZW's network, but to no avail...

Rambo76098
join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH

Rambo76098

Re: On WiFi - not VZW network - still missing

Amazon app store, or other means.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Re: On WiFi - not VZW network - still missing

I already have the app
jnemesh3
join:2008-04-30
Kenmore, WA

jnemesh3

Why worry about this?

Most tethering apps required you have root access anyway. If you have root, you also have the ability to sideload apps not available in the Market. So this move, while making it SLIGHTLY more difficult to implement, really will not stop tethering AT ALL!

I have no problem with Google's capitulation to the wireless carrier's request to take down the apps. It IS in violation of your contract (even if you dont agree with it, its what you signed up for!), so these apps should NOT be in the official market. The beautiful thing about Android, though, is that you can always find other sources for the software you run on the phone that you own.

•••

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

Sideload

Just sideload the app (from the developers' website) and be done with the Google Market.

Unless you're on AT&Crap, in which they cripple your phone to disable sideloading unless you're rooted.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

If You Need to Load an App, Then....

said by Karl Bode:

some would call it crippling the embedded functionality of a smartphone

Since an extraneous app is required for these tethering options, how is this likened to crippling embedded functionality? This claim continues to be bandied about, but yet it only holds merit if you consider paying money for an additional service "crippling".

••••
podstolom
join:2010-01-25
Wichita, KS

podstolom

Tethering Blocks

This is really wild. I had PDANet installed on my Incredible (VZW), now when I go to the Market, it is no longer listed as an installed app. When I tried to download the new version, it said select another device and had my gmail account greyed out. I don't actually use the app at all, just wanted to see if and how it works, and the new version has troubles wtih bluetooth connections, so after I sideloaded it and played with it a while I threw it away again.

But this is disgusting as a matter of principle, TOS be damned. I have always hated American carriers and their stance towards monetizing tethering as an additional revenue stream for a number of years now, particularly in light of the fact that other countries do NOT disable tethering, with O2 the latest UK carrier to DROP tethering charges on plans of 100 Meg or more.

If this is what Verizon lobbied congress to block net neutrality rules from wireless networks for, then I'll take socialism and strong federal regulation of private enterprise over unregulated feudal capitalism any day.
stridr69
join:2003-05-19
San Luis Obispo, CA

stridr69

Re: Tethering Blocks

Well...I have PDANet installed on my HTC Incredible as you read this...so what's you're problem? Simple...you're not rooted. Bummer, dude. Also have WiFi tether as well. I bet you don't...dude. Bummer. VZW=FTW. Just gotta know how to play the game. Sideloading? Jeeze...incredibly(sic) simple. Apps Installer(Market) is your friend.
page: 1 · 2 · next