dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-05-03 09:01:30: According to the Salisbury Post, Time Warner Cable's bill in North Carolina aimed at making it harder for local community fiber deployments to operate is one step closer to law. ..

prev · 1 · 2
Expand your moderator at work

Tobester
join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA

Tobester

Re: That's what voting GOP gets you

said by KCrimson :

What you fail to see is that if there were a profit to be made, private corporations would have been competing to provide this service that the community seems to want so badly..................

Call it "cherry picking", or whatever, the fact remains that smaller communities that band together like this are stepping into an arena that the government was never intended in a market economy............

Sure they are.

Smaller communities have been doing this exact thing for years, such rural electric cooperatives, water districts and they like.

I understand your feeling government should not be involved in a market economy. However, how long would you have smaller communities wait in order to receive upgraded internet services?

The current "mega-internet" companies might not ever see enough return on investment to want to upgrade rural areas, hence my "cherry picking" comment.

The proposed North Carolina bill will specifically exclude these under-served communities from taking matters into their own hands to increase community internet options.

By a majority community vote, the electorate should be free to make their own decisions, agreeing to tax themselves for the greater good of the local community.

justa_pedlr
@verizon.net

justa_pedlr

Anon

Why is this bill being pushed forward ?

Perhaps you don't understand the issue here. It's not about TV stations trying not to upset TWC Cable, it's a much bigger issue. TWC , that has a legitimate regulated CATV franchise agreement in many NC communities, does not want competition from a non-regulated public entity that can subsidize their operations with tax revenues. This is a fine example of public revenue being used to compete with a private enterprise.

TWC has a LEGITIMATE complaint . They reached out to their congressman and got a bill written to protect their business interests. That makes good sense ( for them).

The current Democratic administration in DC , and the FCC, seem to think that business is evil, and all US residents should be "entitled" to get free bandwidth ( for Netflix movie delivery) , or broadband subsidized service . That's an interesting point of view but NOTHING IS FREE !
If TWC cable provides service they charge a fee that is related to their costs. If a NC Community builds a FTTH system to provide broadband service they will have a similar ( or probably higher) cost to deliver that service. It will then either be billed directly to the subscribers, or subsidized with some type of tax revenues.

What do you want to do...decide between TWC, Satellite TV, and other IP Streaming video sources based on your costs and service preference, or Pay Higher Taxes every year that your local politicians can then spread between schools, roads, pet projects, and broadband service per their current whims ?

KCrimson
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

KCrimson to Tobester

Premium Member

to Tobester

You're describing cooperatives, so I'm sure that membership will be voluntary, and not amount to a general tax. This shouldn't be a problem in towns that have REAL problems, and not just a few enthusiasts that want to share the public's wealth for their own surfing.

justa_pedlr
@verizon.net

justa_pedlr

Anon

HB 129 and Individual Choice Options

Many of you recent posters seem to think that TWC CATV is evil and in the pocket of the evil politicians. Consider this...

Option 1 - TWC gets this bill passed to ban NC Communities from building tax subsidized FTTH Broadband systems. Individuals then have the choice to subscribe and pay for TWC services. You can also consider Sat TV and OTT IP Video from other sources if you feel the need to get video in a home instead of on a handheld mobile device or notebook computer with a wireless interface.

Option 2 - No Bill is passed. NC Communities can then build FTTH systems IF they get approval from their community members . But once a systems is built , and it proves to be unable to cover it's construction loans, the NC Community must either shut down service ( with associated costs) or raise tax revenues. I'm sure that will happen without a true disclosure of the costs that are attributed to the broadband system. So , you then have the choice to subscribe to their service. BUT, do you have the choice NOT to Pay Your taxes ?

Why are the evil ones trying to give you the choice not to pay for service that you don't want, when the good guys are trying to make sure that the government can provide "entitled services" without regard to cost efficiency ?

Educated individuals consider both sides of an issue before spouting inflammatory opinions then voting blindly for one side or another on ALL topics.

Tobester
join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA

Tobester to KCrimson

to KCrimson

said by KCrimson:

You're describing cooperatives, so I'm sure that membership will be voluntary, and not amount to a general tax. This shouldn't be a problem in towns that have REAL problems, and not just a few enthusiasts that want to share the public's wealth for their own surfing.

Co-operative is your word

Think of Sacramento Municipal Utility District, Palo Alto Municipal Electric Co, City of Mesa, AZ Utilities, Navopache Electric (AZ). All are municipally owned and operated for the benefit of the community and offer cheaper electric rates than surrounding utility. (I'm sure there are other examples of telephone, and water districts I can't recall at the moment too )

I think your main problem is you don't want to pay for anything you do not personally think you benefit from regardless of whether the public has voted for it, or not.

Here in San Francisco, we have twice voted NOT to start the process of forming our own Electric Utility, and it was pushed hard by our elected City Officials.
Tobester

Tobester to Oxygen69

to Oxygen69

Re: Did Anyone Here Actually Read The Bill?

said by Oxygen69:

The just sounds plain unconstitutional to me........

I would hope so, since voters should have the final say about forming their own "Internet Improvement District"

Since the US Supreme Court has ruled Corporations are people too, it appears saving the "Rights of Business" will trump the will of the voters.

With the current legal decision, deep-pocked lobbyists will exert even more influence, in Congress and State Government, protecting business interest versus the common man (voter).

KCrimson
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

KCrimson to Tobester

Premium Member

to Tobester

said by Tobester:

Co-operative is your word

Actually, it was you that brought up rural cooperatives, I just pointed to the principles of the idea.
Expand your moderator at work
prev · 1 · 2