dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2011-05-09 11:19:47: According to a new announcement by U.S. Cellular, the company plans to launch an LTE network "in time for the holidays. ..

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude

tethering ?

I wonder if US cellular offers tethering on their smartphones ?
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

Yes it does. My sister in IA has a Samsung Mesmerize and occasionally tethers her netbook...at no additional cost.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan

Premium Member

Cool

I just got a WiMax enabled notebook recently, (Samsung RC-512) Now, If the price is reasonable say $20 or so I can have Internet every ware.

Tooth
@rcn.com

Tooth

Anon

T-Mobile but not the rest?

Since Sprint is making a huge fuss over losing out on buying T-Mobile, I am surprised that they have not pursued buying MetroPCS and US Cellular.

perplexed
@att.net

perplexed

Anon

St Louis

USCC is rolling out 4G however their #2, St Louis, MO market is still 1x and not on the list, go figure.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to Tooth

to Tooth

Re: T-Mobile but not the rest?

That's what I've been saying all along. Sprint needs to buy MetroPCS or Leap or another small company and pull in those customers and more network resources. By doing so they could increase/improve their own coverage without building any new towers or spending colo money. Prepaid and flat rate billing is what is getting new customers and keeps adding. People are over the long term high cost monthly bills and would rather just buy the phone and pay $50-60 per month for unlimited use. Time for the carriers to wake up and realize what's going on.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to Tooth

Premium Member

to Tooth
I would say that probably next year or 2013 U.S Cellular will be picked up by Sprint. After all, US Cellular is owned by Telephone and Data Systems »www.teldta.com/tds_about_us.html

S_engineer
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL

S_engineer to perplexed

Premium Member

to perplexed

Re: St Louis

Your name says it all....Their hometown of Chicago isn't even on the list. Maybe they plan on a bunch of smaller cities so they can compete in advertisement about cities being covered. I 've had their service for years, and am a bit flustered with their data service. Its spotty at best in thier hometown of Chicago. On the other hand, I receive phone calls in concrete basements no problem. Like you said...go figure

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4

Re: T-Mobile but not the rest?

riiight. have you seen those phones? they are crap.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Verizon Extended Network

I wonder if Verizon customers with LTE devices will be able to utilize the LTE signal in markets where US Cellular has LTE but Verizon is still on EVDO Rev. A as Extended Network coverage. I think US Cellular acts as Verizon's extended network in areas where Verizon does not have towers (like southwest Iowa, for example).

drdroo
Premium Member
join:2007-10-09
Bangor, ME

drdroo

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

I wonder if Verizon customers with LTE devices will be able to utilize the LTE signal in markets where US Cellular has LTE but Verizon is still on EVDO Rev. A

Verizon doesn't roam EVDO on USCC's network, but USCC roams EVDO on Verizon's network. I think you'll find that Verizon will not be roaming LTE on USCC.
drdroo

drdroo to DaveDude

Premium Member

to DaveDude

Re: tethering ?

said by DaveDude:

Yes for 15$/mo. They don't enforce it, but they do charge for it. USCC has a 5GB/mo cap on their latest smartphone plans, but, from what I see, they don't have hard and fast rules to enforce it.

All in all, I'm quite happy with their service. Their customer service is fantastic and their network serves me very well.

The HowardForums US Cellular forum is a great place to talk with like-minded customers as well. »uscellular.howardforums.com
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

USCC

I have USCC, and I can tell you that sometimes in Verizon areas, data will lock up. It will load 99% of a page, then stop and kick you out. But since I left AT&T in 2006, I have been extremely pleased with the network, the service, and the plan offerings.

As has been said, the most recent Belief plans have been capped at 5GB but I haven't seen anything about overages. Also, their ads have been calling it "plenty" of data, not unlimited, so I have to give it to them for at least being honest in their advertising. But you basically get what Sprint is offering without the $10 fee. I'd test this out to let people know, but it's not like you can do video on a Blackberry or anything too bandwidth intensive.

Their phone offerings are pretty weak though, they don't partner with Motorola, mainly LG, Kyocera, Samsung and RIM. I could get a new phone, but I'm stuck with my Blackberry because of the poor options. Their Android options are uninspiring to say the least.

USCC beat AT&T by over a year to have 3G here in Western MD. They're pretty much the only companies who market here. You can get Sprint and T-Mobile, but no one sells either, so no one really has them, and those who tried find very poor coverage. In most USCC areas I've been in, you can't get Verizon, so I've always figured Verizon would snap them up.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to drdroo

Premium Member

to drdroo

said by drdroo:

said by DaveDude:

Yes for 15$/mo. They don't enforce it, but they do charge for it. USCC has a 5GB/mo cap on their latest smartphone plans, but, from what I see, they don't have hard and fast rules to enforce it.

All in all, I'm quite happy with their service. Their customer service is fantastic and their network serves me very well.

The HowardForums US Cellular forum is a great place to talk with like-minded customers as well. »uscellular.howardforums.com

I really wish Sprint would sign a 3G roaming deal with US Cellular. Then again, down here in York County US cellular coverage really lacks. I think maine is one of there larger markets so it is no surprise that Portland and Bangor areas are getting LTE. Plus, I think they are trying to beat Verizon and Sprint to the punch since they both seem to be neglecting us.

CaptainRR
Premium Member
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH
·AT&T Wireless Br..

CaptainRR to drdroo

Premium Member

to drdroo

Re: Verizon Extended Network

You are right, when roaming on the US Cellular network with a Verizon phone all you will get is 1x. The funny thing about Verizons LTE deployment this year is it includes Hagerstown, MD? In Hagerstown US Cellular is king with no Verizon service. Once most of these new LTE networks get deployed is when we get to find out who will be roaming on who's network down the road. But of course big red has there own block of spectrum for LTE, so they can deply were ever they please.

drdroo
Premium Member
join:2007-10-09
Bangor, ME

drdroo to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec

said by swintec:

I really wish Sprint would sign a 3G roaming deal with US Cellular. Then again, down here in York County US cellular coverage really lacks. I think maine is one of there larger markets so it is no surprise that Portland and Bangor areas are getting LTE. Plus, I think they are trying to beat Verizon and Sprint to the punch since they both seem to be neglecting us.

It makes good sense for US Cellular to not give away access to their newest technologies. It also makes sense for national carriers to offer the best of their network to USCC for roaming. USCC's roaming revenue in the areas they don't serve are worth something to Verizon but USCC keeping their newest technologies to themselves retains their own customers in competitive markets.

I haven't really have any problems with US Cellular in York County. I roam on Verizon in the places that don't have native service but my phone seems to roam little there. This may not be so great for prepaid customers, though.

I started a call in the Kennebunkport/Wells area and rode it until I got close to Somersworth. Strafford county NH is a roaming area because there are no spectrum blocks available for them to buy.
drdroo

drdroo to CaptainRR

Premium Member

to CaptainRR

Re: Verizon Extended Network

said by CaptainRR:

You are right, when roaming on the US Cellular network with a Verizon phone all you will get is 1x. The funny thing about Verizons LTE deployment this year is it includes Hagerstown, MD? In Hagerstown US Cellular is king with no Verizon service. Once most of these new LTE networks get deployed is when we get to find out who will be roaming on who's network down the road. But of course big red has there own block of spectrum for LTE, so they can deply were ever they please.

AT&T also has their own 700 blocks since they acquired them from the defunct Flo TV. They also had their own as an overlay for most of their locations with 850 networks.

LTE gives an opportunity to make roaming very interesting ultimately amongst national carriers. This is a rare situation to have everyone on the same protocol (less Sprint, which intends to go LTE soon, so the rumors suggest).

I'm kinda curious what Dish Network (Echostar / Frontier Wireless) intends to do with their 700 spectrum as well.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve

Where's the coverage?

Too bad they don't have coverage hardly anywhere. There is a phony coverage map on their web site that shows green for coverage all over the entire USA but I tried all the zip codes I could think of and couldn't find any that had coverage. There's nothing at all in Arizona.
v_lestat
The Blood Is The Life
join:2002-11-09

v_lestat to IowaMan

to IowaMan

Re: Cool

said by IowaMan:

I just got a WiMax enabled notebook recently, (Samsung RC-512) Now, If the price is reasonable say $20 or so I can have Internet every ware.

uhm too bad LTE is not wimax.
good luck making it work.